Zillow

Updated Oct 9, 2014

3.1

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Zillow.

I first had a phone interview with my would-be boss, and he was extremely nice and helpful regarding the Account Management position. At the end of our phone call, he let me know he wanted me to come in and meet with some of the team members (4 interviews, 30 minutes each). I set that up with a recruiting coordinator for the following week. The interviews went extremely well, and everyone seemed to love working there. The job seemed right up my alley, and I felt that everything went really well. At the end of the interview, the recruiting coordinator walked me out and said she'd get back to me in 1 week since the position was new and they had more interviewing to do. A week and 1 day later, I had not heard anything back so I emailed my would-be boss, who I had a phone interview and in-person interview with, reassuring my desire for the job and that I was qualified. I heard nothing back. Another week went by, and I emailed the recruiting coordinator asking for an update. 1 hour later, I got a generic email stating that they were moving forward with other candidates.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question was they asked me to be an Account Manager at Zillow and role play how I would handle an angry customer on the phone.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Zillow in October 2014.

After I submit application, HR email me an pdf of coding question hours later.

There are 2 questions:
    1. Write a function that converts a string to a long, without using the built in functions that would do this.

2. Implement a tri-nary tree. A tri-nary tree is much like a binary tree but with three child nodes for each parent instead of two -- with the left node being values less than the parent, the right node values greater than the parent, and the middle nodes values equal to the parent.

Marketing Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Zillow.

Very disappointed in the interview process, especially for a company that touts itself as having such a great culture. My first two phone screens were atypical, in that the interviewers never once explained anything in great detail about the position or why I should want to work for Zillow. The in-person interview felt off. The interviewers were unprepared, and seemed new digital advertising based on some of the questions I was asked. Despite that, the people were very nice, and it felt more like a way to see if I was a personality fit.

The real kicker was I never received communication on if I would be moving forward or not in the process (even after having followed up). Considering that I had just taken 5 hours out of my personal work day to come in and interview for a position for a company that I was initially excited about, and not to have received any sort of communication about whether or not there would be next steps, reflects poorly on their culture.

Zillow Response

Sep 24, 2014Director Recruiting

Thank you very much for your interview feedback. Of course, we are disappointed to hear you had anything less than a positive experience with us. Our team is very conscientious about candidate ... More

In Market Regional Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Zillow.

The interview process was amazing and exactly what should be expected. You will spend a few hours in interviews with 6-8 high level employees from various departments. Everyone was very smart,witty and overall the process was enjoyable!

Interview Questions
    • Role Play: Sell me a product from the job before your current/last employer.   Answer Question

Advertising Sales Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Zillow.

The interview process was very simple. I applied online and within 24 hours had an email asking a few questions. After answering that a phone interview was scheduled. Upon completion of phone interview I moved on the the video interview then in-person. This just happened today so awaiting an offer. Very simple and straight forward process

still awaiting offer letter

Program Manager Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Zillow.

While the people seemed very genuine and nice in person, I was surprised at the lack of response after the interview. I was told specifically that I would be contacted within the next week and would not be left hanging without an update. Multiple weeks passed with nothing but crickets chirping after what I thought was a very positive interview. I emailed the hiring manager as well as recruiting and still nothing. It's a shame. I expected more from such a top rated company.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really out of the ordinary for this type of position   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Zillow in September 2014.

Initial HR Screen,
    Coding Test

Submitted the answers to their coding test after spending about a day. They rejected even for the initial phone interview right after the coding test. Not sure what went wrong in the coding test or what is their expectation. Whatever it may, set the right expectation for the coding test so that people don't waste their time

Interview Questions
    • Trinary tree add/delete - Well, this can be easy or difficult depends on what you are trying to solve.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Zillow in September 2014.

Applied online via their website. Was contacted shortly after and asked to complete 2 coding challenges. They were the same other people mentioned here. Convert a string to a long and implement insert and delete on a trinary tree. I have near 10 years of experience and know quite well how to do things such as this. Still, I took my time and spent about 4 hours making sure all of the code was write. I wrote plenty of unit tests to ensure it would all work and added comments all over as to be sure my intent in the code. After making sure the code was working perfectly, I submitted it to the HR person. A few days later and I find out that they decided to pass on me due to my answers to the coding challenges. I'm not quite sure what it is Zillow is looking for exactly. It boggles my my mind that they would pass on me this early on without even speaking to me any further or asking for more challenging puzzles to solve. The hiring process here is some of the worst I have seen. It would be nice to have a little feedback about what it is exactly they are looking for. I wanna agree with the other reviewer on here that more than likely they are using some kind of random guess or lottery pick to choose who gets to move on or not. I was not pleased with how this all turned out. In light of that, I do not recommend at all!

Interview Questions
    • None, these were both easy questions to answer. I would have loved to opportunity to have tried something more challenging, then at least I would understand why they turned me down, but not for the ones they asked me.   Answer Question

Software Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Zillow in September 2014.

Sent me two technical questions over email, I completed them then they set up a technical phone interview. Simple question on string manipulation and asked about past experience. Interviewer was polite even when I made stupid obvious mistakes due to being nervous and on the phone. Good experience despite no offer

Interview Questions
    • Know how to optimize your algorithms for limited memory and massive input   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Zillow in September 2014.

I applied online, got contacted by a recruiter, followed by a data mining assignment. As another candidate mentioned, solution would be evaluated by member(s) of the team. A phone chat with the team director before onsite interview was scheduled.

I won't include details of the interview questions because of the non-disclosure agreement. All I can say is if you are able to pass the assignment, and have confidence in your statistics, cs skills, you shouldn't worry. Interview loop with 5 people all stacked together, they should consider a 15 min break or something on the schedule.

HQ office is wonderful -- harbor view, pike place market at the corner... If you travel to Seattle from elsewhere, definitely take advantage of it.

In the end, Zillow just passed its start-up phase and is still pretty selective of people it brings onboard to its data science team. Their research page lists the backgrounds of all DS team members, pretty impressive. Overall, I consider it a good experience though I didn't get the job.