Zillow Interview Questions

Updated Jul 29, 2015

Ad Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Zillow (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview was very smooth and quick. I had two over-the-phone and one in-person with two employees. The in-person interview was very organic; like a regular conversation. The overly experience was pleasant.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? Why Ad Ops? How many ad servers have you worked with?   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA).

Interview

First there was a phone screening and then they emailed a coding task to complete. They asked to basically code a function thats sorts data according to a certain criteria

Interview Questions

• explain how your code is efficient in terms of processing speed   Answer Question

Account Manager-Mortgage Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied through Indeed on a Sunday, got an email on Monday setting up my phone interview with a recruiter for Wednesday, then had a phone interview with the manager the following Monday, in person interview that Friday with 2 managers and 2 Account Managers that are currently doing this job, and then the recruiter called and offered me the job 2 hours after the interview! Everyone I spoke to was so nice, from the recruiters, to management, to the people currently doing the job. They made Zillow seem like such a great place to work, and I am so excited to be working there!!

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA) in July 2015.

Interview

The hiring process is very streamlined and fast. Jenafer is an amazing recruiter, and is on top of it all! The process is typical of a technology company, as there's an initial phone screen, a phone interview with the hiring manager, and then the on-site interview with the hiring manager and team. Everyone was extremely pleasant, and easy to get along with! After the on-site interview, I received an offer two days later.

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA) in July 2015.

Interview

1. Contacted via e-mail for phone interview - The recruiter knew very little about the position and could not answer a majority of my questions relating to the responsibilities and team I would be working with 2. Contacted a few days later for in person interview - This interview was unorganized and a few of the interviewers were rude. Repeated almost every question after each new person came to speak with me. 3. Received e-mail one day after in person interview that they would be moving forward with other candidates

Interview Questions

• How do you stay organized? Do you mind do administrative tasks?   Answer Question

Web Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Zillow.

Interview

I was invited to a phone interview. I responded with my available dates and times but never heard back. I emailed the HR again asking about whether we can schedule an interview the next week, but still no response. I think they should at least send me a message to let me know that they don't want to move on. It's just so annoying that they just left the candidate hanging.

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

I interviewed with Zillow for a Sr. Program Manager position in summer 2015. I was referred by a former colleague who now works at a Zillow subsidiary. I did an in-person screen with the hiring manager and did an all-day onsite about 1.5 weeks later. The in-person and on-sites were fairly standard, with an unsurprising focus on their business. I received an offer. Although I ultimately decided to not join Zillow (I opted to take another position which focused on different skillsets than the Zillow position did), I wanted to leave a review commending the Zillow team for being a class act at all stages. I'd be happy if our paths crossed again. :) Zillow's management and recruiting team are on top of their stuff-- professional and personable. Pre-on-site they were efficient and speedy. My on-site day went smoothly and had extra time at the end where I was able to do casual meet-ups with engineering and PM team members. Post-on-site there was follow-up from various executives and the hiring manager interested in talking to me in detail about Zillow's future and their thoughts on how I could grow with them. It was clear they saw a future for me at Zillow, which is a key thing you want as a candidate. The recruiter/offer discussions at some companies can be incredibly unpleasant. That wasn't the case at Zillow. I felt respected at all stages and dealt with fairly. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Zillow to a friend. If their recruitment process is remotely reflective of their workplace, it's a good place to work.

Software Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

Combination of technical SDE questions (coding on a whiteboard) and behavioral / leadership questions. 5 interview sessions in total, each between 45 minutes and 1 hour in length. The recruiters were very friendly, knowledgeable, responsive, and accommodating throughout the entire hiring process. The interviewers were friendly, smart, and fair - there were no "stump the chump" type questions. Overall, the process was a very positive one.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle delivering a difficult message to your team about a decision that you didn't necessarily agree with yourself?   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

I got a phone call from a recruiter at Zillow, she was very nice and very firendly. She asked me to describe my master's thesis and talk a little about my background. She sent me a homework assignment to do that week, which I did not complete in time. Overall a very pleasant experience despite not getting an offer.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Zillow in June 2015.

Interview

This is a phone interview. The recruiter is attached to data scientist role. First, she asks me to give introduction of my experience in doing data analysis during my graduate study. I give a detailed introduction of several projects, especially the competition I join in Kaggle. During my talk, she asks some basic knowledge about some machine learning algorithms, such as SVM, ensemble and regression. Finally, she asks me to do an off-line assignment which asks me to design an algorithm to analysis some data.

Interview Questions

• Ask me to explain why SVM need to maximize the margin between support vectors.   1 Answer