Zillow

Updated Sep 25, 2014
Updated Sep 25, 2014

3.1

Human Resources Interview

The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Zillow.

Went through an initial phone screen and then another phone interview was set up for me.

Each of the interviews lasted about half an hour and they both asked me a lot of background about what I currently do and how my experience would fit their job.

Interview Questions
    • What have you done that qualifies you for this position?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Zillow.

Very unpleasant experience - the scout reached out to me. She was nice and professional. Then she handed me over to in-house HR/Recruiter who is much less so. I'd describe her as terse, impatient and rude. In the middle of our first phone conversation, my line got dropped. Tmobile must have a dead corner there. So I scrambled to find another spot and wrote her back (as in most case, they don't tell you their direct numbers) apologizing. The next day I got an email from her assistant, at 11am, to wait for her call at 2pm the same day. I replied yes right away but the call never came. Nor was there any explanation after I inquired about it later. Despite the accolades their employees put on this site, I am not impressed at all about this company.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Zillow in July 2014.

I had applied for this position online, after 4 days I received an email from the HR that they would like to setup a call to go over background and provide more information on the role. The email replies were prompt and we setup a schedule. However, I never received the call from the HR. Its been couple of days and I never even received a follow up email requesting a new schedule.

Zillow HR team should realize that the software engineers are a key ingredient in generating the revenue for the company. People have time commitments and if you cannot conduct an interview, you might as well at least let the candidate know about it. HR folks like these just show that sometimes a company and a candidate might miss out on each other only because HR does not do the right job of giving every candidate a chance

Ad Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Zillow.

The interview process started out great. I applied online for a job and was contacted via email to schedule a phone interview. After i passed the phone interview they set me up for a one sided skype interview. I was then contacted to come into the office for an in person interview.. The first manager i met with looked like she just rolled out of bed and acted as if she was not impressed by my presence. She did not ask me any typical interview questions; she seemed more annoyed to be there. The second guy that interviewed me seemed like he was trying to get out of there as soon as possible and didn't ask me any real interview questions either. He did, however, ask what i planned on doing with the money i would make- which i thought was extremely rude and non of his business. I came into the interview process very confident and left feeling unsure and down about myself. Even if i would have been selected i don't think these are the kind of people i would want to work for.

Interview Questions
    • I was not asked any interview questions. They mainly asked about me and then seemed to judge me on my response.   Answer Question

Jul 17, 2014Director Recruiting

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are always striving to create a better candidate experience, and the input you have provided will help us to continue to fine tune our interview process ... More

Advertising Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Irvine, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Zillow in July 2014.

I got a first interview for the Irvine location. It began as a phone interview which asked what my interest was in the advertising sales position. The interviewer asked me why i would like to be doing cold calling and to understand it would be a very hectic environment.

Interview Questions
    • With your past experience what made you feel that this position would suit you best?   Answer Question

Advertising Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Orange, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Zillow in July 2014.

I was initially called by a recruiter/Not really clear due to his extremely dry character, however he was very evasive with the reason for his call, however saying to me that I need my NMLS license BEFORE I came aboard, and this is simply not the case!! He immediately emailed me info to obtain my NMLS, would not go further in detail regarding the advertising position itself. I had to ask the gentleman his name again to make sure I had it correct, because the called seemed bogus. He yawned on the phone several times, and I knew I displayed a professional attitude and demeanor in a way that his approach was not necessary. I was then emailed 1 week later by another recruiter indicating they would like to schedule a phone interview with me. I accepted, however reading the reviews HERE.....I sent a Thanks..but NO THANKS email to them. My desire is to establish a career with a company. I wish to remain with a company longer than 90 days.

Jul 22, 2014Director Recruiting

Hello and thanks for your feedback! I am concerned the first person who reached out to you was not an authorized representative of Zillow. We do not have anyone on our team who fits that profile, or ... More

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Zillow in July 2014.

I was contacted via email the same day I submitted my application online to set up an initial phone-screening. This screening was followed by a phone interview conducted by the hiring manager.
    All questions were expected and not very difficult, however, the interviewer sounded as if he was located inside an empty conference room and speaking into the phone from 10 feet away. The questions, therefore, were quite difficult to answer fluidly considering that it was hard to decipher each word behind the echo & opacity.

Inside Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Zillow in July 2014.

Applied via LinkedIn and was contacted by an HR recruiter to set up a brief phone interview, which was a simple screen. Then I had a video interview which was a one-way skype - 20 seconds to prepare for a question that popped up on the screen. After that since I was an out of state applicant I had a phone screen with their sales manager. Was invited to Seattle to interview with two sales managers after that. My issue is I spent nearly $1,500 flying out there from Florida and all I got in return was a copy and paste generic email saying I didn't get the job. No reason, no explanation, nothing. Not a good sign of a good company, glad I didn't get the job. Seems like their product is getting tired, too. There's only so many agents. Stay away.

Interview Questions
    • Interviewer asked me if I had more energy. Wanted to tell him I just spent $1,000 on a flight and flew all night to get there, seemed like an inappropriate interview question.   Answer Question

Jul 22, 2014Director Recruiting

Thank you for your interview feedback. As a company and as part of our recruiting philosophy, we value swiftness of communication and timely feedback. With that, we have opted to use email in ... More

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Zillow in June 2014.

Applied online and got a call form a technical recruiter. I was then given a coding exercise to complete at home and send. The questions were pretty simple as mentioned in some other person here - string to long, insert & delete in trinary tree. I completed the exercise along with JUnit test cases covering all possible scenarios I could think of and returned it early morning the next day. After a day I received an email saying they would not be moving forward with me. When I asked for feedback I was told it was based on my coding exercise. I am surprised with this since my code was working and did what the requirements asked, was well tested and documented(in my opinion). The only conclusion I can draw is, they were doing some sort of lottery to pick candidates for the next round of interviews ;-)

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Zillow in June 2014.

1st. phone interview with recruiter.
    2nd. phone interview with marketing Manager
    3rd. Phone interview with Senior Marketing Manager
    4th. In person. 2+ hours with Senior Marketing Manger and members of team.
    Surprise "Analytics Skills Test" was a but un-nerving but seemed more of a test of how a candidate handles the stress of a surprise.

Everyone was polite and asked the right questions for the position, very interested in personality. Got a tour of a fantastic office. (Which I might prefer as part of an offer as a way to really get your attention, rather than during a post interview tour, when you may not get called back."

Interview Questions
    • Not so unexpected but too redundant. "Walk me through how you would start/launch a new campaign". For me these questions are nonsensical, They know the level of the job offered, they have seen the candidate's resume and job history, if at this point a marketing professional is being asked this, I think there is some other details being missed.   Answer Question