Zillow

Average Difficulty
91 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Irvine, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Zillow in February 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview followed up by office interview. Office interview was with 3 separate managers. They were very responsive and positive. I left the interview feeling very positive. Have questions ready as it is the best time to find out as much as possible about the culture as possible.

Interview Question – Tell me about a challenge you were able to overcome.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Zillow.

Interview Details – Before getting a phone interview, I was given a 2-problem coding test. After submitting my solutions, we scheduled the phone interview for about a week later. The phone interview process was focused almost entirely on solving short object-oriented coding problems, which I completed using a web-based application.

Interview Question – All of the problems were more or less straightforward object-oriented programming problems.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Software Development Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Zillow in April 2014.

Interview Details – The first call with a recruiter was followed immediately by their standard take-home coding exercises: insert/delete from a ternary tree (which they call a tri-nary tree) and converting a string into a long. Straightforward questions. I decided to include not only a solution but also unit tests, and in such a way that I would expect to pass a code review for check-in. This isn't my first dev job. While the code functioned, and as far as I know was production-quality, I received an email about one day after I submitted the response that they were not going to ask me in for a screening. Disappointing, as I have no idea what they were looking for that I didn't do. I heard this complaint from other reviewers, but I assumed that they just solved the problem the fastest way -- I thought for sure having tests, comment blocks, and code structured for use in an application would impress enough for an interview.

Interview Question – Questions weren't difficult, but obviously I wasn't able to provide something they were looking for (and not asking for).   Answer Question

Customer Support Interview

Customer Support

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Zillow.

Interview Details – Phone call interview, in person interview

Interview Question – There wasn't any hard questions   Answer Question

Software Development Intern Interview

Software Development Intern

Interviewed at Zillow

Interview Details – I turned in my resume through online and got contacted from HR. After some weeks, a recruiter emailed me with a couple of technical questions. I then had a phone interview that had basic questions about my resume and my interests as well as some high level algorithm questions.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult or unexpected   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Zillow in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied for an Account Manager position and was responded to in a little over a week by a Zillow recruiter. We set up a phone screen and after that, I heard back quickly about speaking to the hiring manager. After speaking to the hiring manager on the phone, I was invited to go onsite to meet some members of the team. During my onsite, I met with two scheduled interviewers, talked to the hiring manager over the phone again, and two other people from another team were pulled in to meet me and ask me questions. After the in-person, I was scheduled to speak over the phone with a Director in Seattle, and then I was scheduled to speak on the phone with a Manager that this position would be working with the day after that. I received an offer two days after the call with the Manager.

Overall, I felt like they were trying to see if I would be a good fit, culturally. I was asked lots of questions about what I like to do, what my hobbies are, etc. Everyone I spoke with was very nice and seemed to be pretty laid back.

Interview Question – I have held quite a few jobs over the past five years or so, (due to layoffs, contract work, etc.) and got a question about whether or not I would move on quickly from the company. It seems like loyalty is very important here, as they seem to really promote from within.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate, but they were very clear with me in the initial phone screen what the range for the position was. HR was willing to take my counter-offer to the CEO and I did end up getting a little more than initially offered.

Inside Sales Consultant

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Zillow.

Interview Details – The first 3 pre-interviews went well with relatively normal interview questions. Then there was my final phone interview... The guy that interviewed me was a recently promoted sales director and seemed pissed off and put out that he had to talk to me. He was abrasive and had all of the charm of a used car salesman. He also made it seem like Zillow was just a factory for outbound phone calls saying that 150+ phone calls a day would be expected. Needless to say, it turned me off on him and Zillow in general.

Inside Sales Interview

Inside Sales
Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Zillow in April 2014.

Interview Details – Very thorough interview. Phone screen, followed by a recorded video interview, and then a 3 person interview face to face if you pass the first two. Company is very transparent and you can tell this is direct reflection of their CEO's leadership and direction. Interviewers asked great questions and were very knowledgable and professional!

Interview Question – Standard sales questions, nothing overly difficult. They are obviously trying to be proactive in reducing sales turnover and they are interviewing candidates the right way in my opinion to accomplish this. I came from a manager background so the most difficult question would be "why do you want to make cold calls"?   View Answer

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager
Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Zillow in April 2014.

Interview Details – Interview process was very detailed, I actually went through two rounds of interviews, 1st round was for Sales and second was for Account Management. In total I think I spent 6-8 hours interviewing with the company. I did three phone interviews, 1 video interview and 6 in person interviews. Everyone I spoke with was very informative and had great questions for me. You can tell all the employees know their Zillow background! I was very confident with all my interviews, left with a smile on my face and really thought I had the job, I was let down when I got a robot like automated rejection email from Zillow, slightly insulting after all the time I put in. Oh well, their loss.

Interview Question – The Sales interviews were much more intense then the Account Management, be prepared to practice selling something in the Sales interview. The Account Managers want to know more about you as a person, how you work, what you like, how you handle difficult situations, etc.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Inside Sales Consultant

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Zillow.

Interview Details – 3 step interview process. First a phone interview with the recruiter. Than a video interview which is difficult because it's similar to talking to a wall. Then, you are called into the office to meet with 2 sales managers and the VP of sales. The face to face interviews were horrible. I was put in a dark room (similar to an interrogation room) and waited long times in between each interview. The questions they give you are fast paced and they expect you know your stuff when it comes to sales.

Interview Question – Real Estate agents have heard every pitch from every salesperson, what would you say to them that is different from everyone else?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation