Zillow

Average Difficulty
102 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Zillow in July 2014.

Interview Details – Applied via LinkedIn and was contacted by an HR recruiter to set up a brief phone interview, which was a simple screen. Then I had a video interview which was a one-way skype - 20 seconds to prepare for a question that popped up on the screen. After that since I was an out of state applicant I had a phone screen with their sales manager. Was invited to Seattle to interview with two sales managers after that. My issue is I spent nearly $1,500 flying out there from Florida and all I got in return was a copy and paste generic email saying I didn't get the job. No reason, no explanation, nothing. Not a good sign of a good company, glad I didn't get the job. Seems like their product is getting tired, too. There's only so many agents. Stay away.

Interview Question – Interviewer asked me if I had more energy. Wanted to tell him I just spent $1,000 on a flight and flew all night to get there, seemed like an inappropriate interview question.   Answer Question

Zillow Response

Jul 22, 2014Director Recruiting

Thank you for your interview feedback. As a company and as part of our recruiting philosophy, we value swiftness of communication and timely feedback. With that, we have opted to use email in ... More

Account Executive Interview

Account Executive
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Zillow in June 2014.

Interview Details – Have had 2 phone interviews so far. The first phone interview went wonderfully & the second did as well. Very lively gentlemen & full of energy. I enjoyed each interview & am eagerly awaiting to schedule my 3rd or in-person interview.

Interview Question – No unexpected questions at all. I have been myself during each one & expect to get another.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Software Development Engineer
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Zillow in June 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and got a call form a technical recruiter. I was then given a coding exercise to complete at home and send. The questions were pretty simple as mentioned in some other person here - string to long, insert & delete in trinary tree. I completed the exercise along with JUnit test cases covering all possible scenarios I could think of and returned it early morning the next day. After a day I received an email saying they would not be moving forward with me. When I asked for feedback I was told it was based on my coding exercise. I am surprised with this since my code was working and did what the requirements asked, was well tested and documented(in my opinion). The only conclusion I can draw is, they were doing some sort of lottery to pick candidates for the next round of interviews ;-)

Interview Question – string to long, insert & delete in a trinary tree   Answer Question

Collections Specialist Interview

Collections Specialist
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Zillow in March 2014.

Interview Details – I got an initial email to schedule a phone interview, which was followed up by a questionnaire. After setting a time and answering the questions, I was called by an HR member. This interview lasted around 20 minutes and focused on the questionnaire answers. From there, I was contacted via email again to set up a second interview with the lead of finance team, lasting around 30 minutes. The questions were pretty standard and the interviewers were all very nice.

Interview Question – There really were no difficult questions; all of them were pretty standard questions that you could find on a google search.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Zillow in September 2013.

Interview Details – Phone Interview and In Person Interviews. I thought this would be a great opportunity but I was interviewed by management who didn't care to introduce themselves as well as one manager who felt it was right to criticize my answers. I have never experienced an interview where I convinced myself out of a job based on the range of personalities I met. The best part is a parting comment from the manager stating that he expects me to work 50-60 hours a week.

Interview Question – Asked to write out complex Excel formulas on paper.   View Answer

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Zillow in December 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interview. Face to Face with three different managers. I felt like the interview process is a breeze if you just act natural. They are not looking for a rocket scientist. Zillow want's sales people that are comfortable in their own skin and not afraid to be told NO.

Interview Question – I own a Video Game shop and you need to sell me this candy. Go.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate. In retrospect, I should have.

Account Executive Advertising Sales Interview

Account Executive Advertising Sales
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Zillow.

Interview Details – Applied online, got an email from a recruiter asking some basic questions. Was then asked to speak with a recruiter over the phone, which led to a video interview. The video interview was horrible. While taking into your computer screen, you attempt to answer questions the program throws at you. There is none of the natural flow of conversation that you get on the phone or in person. You're forced to answer the questions with almost no prep time. Overall, the process was sluggish, with poor communication from their HR department. The process felt bloated, anonymous, and I got the impression that their recruiters were talking to an extremely high number of people. They bill themselves as a start-up, but they act the complete opposite.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Associate Account Manager Interview

Associate Account Manager
Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Zillow in April 2014.

Interview Details – Met a Zillow employee at a career fair in Los Angeles, and expressed interested in account management. He gave me his card and I sent him my resume/cover letter for him to forward along. 2 work days later I spoke with a recruiter who explained the details of the position. 2 work days after that I spoke with the director of the team and he invited me up to Seattle to interview for the position. I flew up the next week for the in-person interview process which is four 30 minute one-on-ones. 1st with the team director, then a team lead, then a team lead from a related team, and lastly a department exec. I got a call the next morning with an offer.

Very casual and nice people. Do your research before hand. You should have well prepared answers for what you think Zillow is (hint: they are a media company), the duties of the role, your relative experience, and your personal goals/future.

Interview Question – The executive I interviewed with caught me off guard when he requested I pitch a phone app to him. Given that I was not interviewing for a sales position I had not prepared for any role playing. Nonetheless, I rolled with it and did fine. Being quick on your feet appears to be a skill they value.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Entry-level job. No negotiations.

Associate Account Manager Interview

Associate Account Manager

Interviewed at Zillow

Interview Details – Phone Interview, 2 hour face to face interview with four different people. Overall general, easy interview questions. Helpful to understand the industry and Zillow's place in the industry. Zillow wants to empower consumers and also help real estate agents make the most out of their business

Interview Question – Pick an app on your phone and sell it to me   Answer Question

Irvine, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Zillow in May 2013.

Interview Details – Apply online. E-mail response to set up a telephone interview. First interview lasted 10 minutes on the phone. At the end of this round, the Zillow rep asked me to go on to the second interview, which was a telephone interview also. End of that second telephone interview, John, the senior manager, said he'd get back to me within a week. 4 Minutes later was an e-mail invitation to set-up an in-person interview, which I did for the following week. All interview start to finish happened within 9 days and I had only applied for the position less than 2 weeks earlier.

Interview Question – They ask you to sell them something (or Zillow advertising) via the phone.   View Answer