Zillow

Updated Feb 18, 2015

3.2

Economist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online – interviewed at Zillow.

First round phone interview with the human resource lady, introduce yourself, why u work on this topic, are you ok with the location, what other interviews do you have?
    Pretty much just a phone screening, waiting to hear back from them.

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Zillow in January 2015.

I was contacted by one of their recruiters. The process had many steps. The first had me do a code sharing phone screen interview with one of their manager but I was informed that the position had been filled. Then a week later they told me that they had a few more job openings for me and that they would still like to interview me. The second step was a take home test. It was the same 2 questions that they ask everyone. I sent it the next day but the recruiter could not figure out how to unzip a file so she asked me a week later to send it to her as two different files. A week later they told me I had passed and asked me to do a second phone screen (also code sharing). It was very straight-forward and a few days later they told me they wanted me to interview on site. And asked me to fly there for a file round of interviews.

I was quite disappointed by the on-site. They have changed my schedule 4 times, asked me to change room during the process, interviewers would leave me and had me wait alone for the next interviewer to show. Nobody bothered to show me around the office or where the restrooms were. I was provided a sandwich for lunch and told to eat it alone in a room without a window. After one of my interview I could see and hear my two interviewers discuss my interview in plain sight, about 20 feet away from me.

I had 3 technical interviews. The first one was about data structure and was not too difficult. The second one was with a manager who was full of himself and kept to make weird comments and talk bad about his coworkers and Amazon (I never mentioned them). He sounded like a terrible human being and had no desire to work with him. His question was about object oriented design and had nothing to do with what zillow does. The third one was with another manager and she was much nicer, the question was a fun and challenging puzzle. I started with the wrong premise and realized that I was taking the wrong direction with 2 minutes to go in the interview. I told her how I would solve it but did not have time to code it.

I was clearly not a good experience and had no desire to work with the first manager I spoke to. It has been weeks and I have not received reimbursement for my expenses yet.

Senior Database Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Zillow in January 2015.

Phase One - Phone screening by recruiter. Asked some basic questions designed to determine that the candidate was suitable to pass on to tech reviewer. It took some time to get to this point after being notified I was selected for review - I think this particular recruiter was in over her head.

Phase Two - Detailed phone screening by database engineer. The person I talked to was very friendly and made it more of a professional assessment of both my knowledge and attitudes toward the skills associated with my career than a detailed grilling. He seemed pretty encouraging; I was passed to phase three about five minutes after the end.

Phase Three - A series of four one-on-one interviews - three with top database engineers and the fourth with the team development manager. The first hour consisted of schema design and query optimization principles - very well done and with excellent assessment questions. The second hour was mostly focused on the inner workings of SQL Server and concepts that separate senior developers from junior and mid-level devs. He fired off a lot of canned questions as well as some personal introspection questions and was very enjoyable. The third hour focused on query skills and was led by an interviewer who was very honest about being unprepared and distracted by an upcoming trip. The final hour (with the team lead) was more standard "how well do you play with others in the sandbox" questions. This was important in that I got a sense of a co-worker I would be working directly with, if not supervised by. She asked numerous thoughtful questions about work environment issues and that sort of thing and was - importantly to me - very likable. After the final interview my new recruiter (who was much more on the ball than the original one) introduced herself and asked some follow-up questions and finished with a tour of the facility.

Aside from the initial recruiter who seemed to keep losing my reply emails to requests for information (to be fair, I was told she was no longer with Zillow by the end of the process, so factor her out of the process subsequently) I found everyone to be friendly, professional and very encouraging. I especially appreciated my second recruiter who was constantly upbeat, communicative and friendly. She kept having to report delays in the final decision process from early projections but was apologetic and appreciative of my understanding of the delays. I felt as though she celebrated as much as I when contacting me with the offer.

On the whole it was a very memorable and enjoyable experience and would have been so even if I had not been given an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were detailed and specific; very difficult to reproduce with any justice here   Answer Question

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Zillow.

Applied online and received an e-mail requesting a phone interview a few days later. Set one up for the following day and the recruiter called 10 minutes late. Asked some typical questions, but didn't really give me time to ask the questions I wanted to ask -- if he called on time then I probably would have. Prompt reply on the next steps though.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time where there was something difficult and you solved the issue   View Answer

Consumer Care Advocate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Zillow in December 2014.

Standard 2 hour interview process (4 interviews, 30 minutes each). No curve balls when it comes to questions, everything was very typical of any similar interview. Everyone was very organized and friendly, and all four interviewers seemed to ask mostly identical questions. The recruiter was great and made sure I had everything I needed. I wasn't offered a job, but it was one of the better interviews I've had and I left feeling confident and pleased with how things went. Overall a very positive experience!

Visual Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Zillow in November 2014.

I was first contacted by a recruiter for a phone screening that was about 15 minutes and she claimed that I would hear back soon to see if I would get another interview and if I had any questions to email her. She kept in touch with me throughout the process but in the middle of waiting for another interview the recruiter claimed that there was another candidate that was being highly considered and that it was implied I wouldn't get contacted again, this was over a month of keeping in contact with this recruiter. 2 weeks later another recruiter contacted me and set up a date an time to talk to the hiring manager. I had an interview with the hiring manager and then got contacted by another recruiter to set an in-person interview. I wasn't aware that I had to prepare a half hour presentation for the interviewing panel and that the interview would last at least 4 hours until the day before the interview.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Zillow in November 2014.

I talked to a recruiter at a career fair and gave them my resume. A week or so later they sent out a coding challenge, which I completed and sent back the next day. They responded very quickly, and I was set up with a phone interview for the following week, which consisted of big-O questions, then a short coding question involving data structures. We had some time left over, so he talked about working at Zillow and answered some questions I had. The interviewer was very nice and organized, and it went well overall.

A few days later I got an email saying I had passed the phone interview phase and they wanted me to come in for an onsite interview sometime the following week. Onsite, I was interviewed by three separate employees for about 45 minutes each. They have you sign an NDA, but the questions were typical of what you expect from an interview for a coding position, nothing extremely easy, but nothing insane either. I got a bit stuck on one problem, but the interviewer did a nice job of nudging me in the right direction. After the technical interviews, they gave me a tour of the place and answered any remaining questions I had. I got a call two days later saying they enjoyed talking with me, and gave me an offer that I had two weeks to decide on, which I accepted. I received interviews with three other companies, and Zillow's was the most enjoyable by far.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Zillow.

I first had a phone interview with my would-be boss, and he was extremely nice and helpful regarding the Account Management position. At the end of our phone call, he let me know he wanted me to come in and meet with some of the team members (4 interviews, 30 minutes each). I set that up with a recruiting coordinator for the following week. The interviews went extremely well, and everyone seemed to love working there. The job seemed right up my alley, and I felt that everything went really well. At the end of the interview, the recruiting coordinator walked me out and said she'd get back to me in 1 week since the position was new and they had more interviewing to do. A week and 1 day later, I had not heard anything back so I emailed my would-be boss, who I had a phone interview and in-person interview with, reassuring my desire for the job and that I was qualified. I heard nothing back. Another week went by, and I emailed the recruiting coordinator asking for an update. 1 hour later, I got a generic email stating that they were moving forward with other candidates.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question was they asked me to be an Account Manager at Zillow and role play how I would handle an angry customer on the phone.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Zillow in September 2014.

Applied online via their website. Was contacted shortly after and asked to complete 2 coding challenges. They were the same other people mentioned here. Convert a string to a long and implement insert and delete on a trinary tree. I have near 10 years of experience and know quite well how to do things such as this. Still, I took my time and spent about 4 hours making sure all of the code was write. I wrote plenty of unit tests to ensure it would all work and added comments all over as to be sure my intent in the code. After making sure the code was working perfectly, I submitted it to the HR person. A few days later and I find out that they decided to pass on me due to my answers to the coding challenges. I'm not quite sure what it is Zillow is looking for exactly. It boggles my my mind that they would pass on me this early on without even speaking to me any further or asking for more challenging puzzles to solve. The hiring process here is some of the worst I have seen. It would be nice to have a little feedback about what it is exactly they are looking for. I wanna agree with the other reviewer on here that more than likely they are using some kind of random guess or lottery pick to choose who gets to move on or not. I was not pleased with how this all turned out. In light of that, I do not recommend at all!

Interview Questions
    • None, these were both easy questions to answer. I would have loved to opportunity to have tried something more challenging, then at least I would understand why they turned me down, but not for the ones they asked me.   Answer Question

Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Zillow in September 2014.

There is a 3 step process. The first step is a phone screening interview with one of the recruiters to get to know you over the phone. Second, you are scheduled to do a one-way Skype interview answering a handful of questions. The final round is a face-to-face meeting with a couple of their Sales Managers.

Overall, great experience and great environment but what I noticed is that they don't care about experience and I actually believe that they prefer it that way so they can train individuals with a clean slate. Looking strictly for sales monkeys on the phones. Great place to START a career, especially coming right out of school, but if you are a seasoned sales person, probably not the best place. Just my opinion.