Zillow Interview Questions in Seattle, WA

Updated Apr 21, 2015

3.1

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

Talked with a recruiter for about 30 minutes regarding my past experience, interests, and why I want to work there. The conversation went well and I was told that my next steps would be to complete a coding exercise. I was a bit taken aback by the request for a take-home assignment, since it seems they ask you to do this before a technical screen or even putting the resume in front of the hiring manager. I would prefer that they do a phone screen before asking candidates with busy lives to spend a couple hours on a coding exercise.

After I submitted the coding solution, I was told that after the hiring manager reviewed my resume and coding exercise, they decided not to proceed.

Marketing Manager, SEM Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

Phone screen with recruiter. In-office visit to take 30-minute Excel test and speak with SEM director briefly. Interview was on a Friday, received automated rejection notice Monday.

I was disappointed to not get a follow-up interview. I have no idea what I did wrong. In any event, it's Zillow's loss because I would have knocked it out of the park for them.

The recruiter was really nice.

Interview Questions

• In Excel, forecast sale units of shoe colors for next year, then estimate the sales for each over a 2-3 year range.   1 Answer

Inside Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online, there was a phone interview that was quite easy and they ask you simple questions just to get to know you. They described the job as making calls all day which in the end did not sound appealing to me at all so I decided to not go forward with the process. Everyone I talked to though was incredibly nice and it seems like a great company.

Software Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

Ask to complete two questions asap, after submitting the task, then schedule me an interview. The coding test of one question is asked to complete a class, another one is asked to write a whole program.

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by one of their recruiters. The process had many steps. The first had me do a code sharing phone screen interview with one of their manager but I was informed that the position had been filled. Then a week later they told me that they had a few more job openings for me and that they would still like to interview me. The second step was a take home test. It was the same 2 questions that they ask everyone. I sent it the next day but the recruiter could not figure out how to unzip a file so she asked me a week later to send it to her as two different files. A week later they told me I had passed and asked me to do a second phone screen (also code sharing). It was very straight-forward and a few days later they told me they wanted me to interview on site. And asked me to fly there for a file round of interviews.

I was quite disappointed by the on-site. They have changed my schedule 4 times, asked me to change room during the process, interviewers would leave me and had me wait alone for the next interviewer to show. Nobody bothered to show me around the office or where the restrooms were. I was provided a sandwich for lunch and told to eat it alone in a room without a window. After one of my interview I could see and hear my two interviewers discuss my interview in plain sight, about 20 feet away from me.

I had 3 technical interviews. The first one was about data structure and was not too difficult. The second one was with a manager who was full of himself and kept to make weird comments and talk bad about his coworkers and Amazon (I never mentioned them). He sounded like a terrible human being and had no desire to work with him. His question was about object oriented design and had nothing to do with what zillow does. The third one was with another manager and she was much nicer, the question was a fun and challenging puzzle. I started with the wrong premise and realized that I was taking the wrong direction with 2 minutes to go in the interview. I told her how I would solve it but did not have time to code it.

I was clearly not a good experience and had no desire to work with the first manager I spoke to. It has been weeks and I have not received reimbursement for my expenses yet.

Economist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA).

Interview

First round phone interview with the human resource lady, introduce yourself, why u work on this topic, are you ok with the location, what other interviews do you have?
    Pretty much just a phone screening, waiting to hear back from them.

Senior Database Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

Phase One - Phone screening by recruiter. Asked some basic questions designed to determine that the candidate was suitable to pass on to tech reviewer. It took some time to get to this point after being notified I was selected for review - I think this particular recruiter was in over her head.

Phase Two - Detailed phone screening by database engineer. The person I talked to was very friendly and made it more of a professional assessment of both my knowledge and attitudes toward the skills associated with my career than a detailed grilling. He seemed pretty encouraging; I was passed to phase three about five minutes after the end.

Phase Three - A series of four one-on-one interviews - three with top database engineers and the fourth with the team development manager. The first hour consisted of schema design and query optimization principles - very well done and with excellent assessment questions. The second hour was mostly focused on the inner workings of SQL Server and concepts that separate senior developers from junior and mid-level devs. He fired off a lot of canned questions as well as some personal introspection questions and was very enjoyable. The third hour focused on query skills and was led by an interviewer who was very honest about being unprepared and distracted by an upcoming trip. The final hour (with the team lead) was more standard "how well do you play with others in the sandbox" questions. This was important in that I got a sense of a co-worker I would be working directly with, if not supervised by. She asked numerous thoughtful questions about work environment issues and that sort of thing and was - importantly to me - very likable. After the final interview my new recruiter (who was much more on the ball than the original one) introduced herself and asked some follow-up questions and finished with a tour of the facility.

Aside from the initial recruiter who seemed to keep losing my reply emails to requests for information (to be fair, I was told she was no longer with Zillow by the end of the process, so factor her out of the process subsequently) I found everyone to be friendly, professional and very encouraging. I especially appreciated my second recruiter who was constantly upbeat, communicative and friendly. She kept having to report delays in the final decision process from early projections but was apologetic and appreciative of my understanding of the delays. I felt as though she celebrated as much as I when contacting me with the offer.

On the whole it was a very memorable and enjoyable experience and would have been so even if I had not been given an offer.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were detailed and specific; very difficult to reproduce with any justice here   Answer Question

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Applied online and received an e-mail requesting a phone interview a few days later. Set one up for the following day and the recruiter called 10 minutes late. Asked some typical questions, but didn't really give me time to ask the questions I wanted to ask -- if he called on time then I probably would have. Prompt reply on the next steps though.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where there was something difficult and you solved the issue   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA) in December 2014.

Interview

It was comfortable and relaxed. if you didn't find the best way to solve the question, the recruiter would give you hint. Before the interview, they will send you two coding problems through email. if you did well, they will give you the phone screen interview.

Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA) in December 2014.

Interview

Brief, but informative. The people interviewing were gone from the department shortly after I started so realistically they were on the way out. That said the time spent was very informative and effective in helping me to decide if I wanted to work for Zillow.

Interview Questions

• Career goals and where do you see yourself within Zillow in five years.   Answer Question