Zillow

Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Manager Interview

Sales Manager

Interviewed at Zillow

Interview Details – Initial phone screen after having just submitted my resume which seemed lightening fast but this company is getting bigger pretty quickly. The recruiter was easy to talk to, though he seemed like he was quite overwhelmed.

Interview Question – What are you looking for in a position here?   View Answer

Customer Service Interview

Customer Service
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Zillow in July 2014.

Interview Details – I was contacted via email the same day I submitted my application online to set up an initial phone-screening. This screening was followed by a phone interview conducted by the hiring manager.
All questions were expected and not very difficult, however, the interviewer sounded as if he was located inside an empty conference room and speaking into the phone from 10 feet away. The questions, therefore, were quite difficult to answer fluidly considering that it was hard to decipher each word behind the echo & opacity.

Interview Question – All questions were pretty standard and expected.   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager
Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Zillow in June 2014.

Interview Details – 1st. phone interview with recruiter.
2nd. phone interview with marketing Manager
3rd. Phone interview with Senior Marketing Manager
4th. In person. 2+ hours with Senior Marketing Manger and members of team.
Surprise "Analytics Skills Test" was a but un-nerving but seemed more of a test of how a candidate handles the stress of a surprise.

Everyone was polite and asked the right questions for the position, very interested in personality. Got a tour of a fantastic office. (Which I might prefer as part of an offer as a way to really get your attention, rather than during a post interview tour, when you may not get called back."

Interview Question – Not so unexpected but too redundant. "Walk me through how you would start/launch a new campaign". For me these questions are nonsensical, They know the level of the job offered, they have seen the candidate's resume and job history, if at this point a marketing professional is being asked this, I think there is some other details being missed.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software Development Engineer Interview

Software Development Engineer
Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Zillow in May 2014.

Interview Details – Referred by recruiter and given what seems like standard questions from the other posts on here. Very long turn around and getting final decision.

1. String to long conversion
2. Trinary (trenary) tree insert and delete

I spent about 3-4 hours getting problems coded up, documented, and tested. Solid rejection with no explanation other than my code wasn't good enough. Let's set things straight, I have 10+ years of experience, my code was well documented and had full java doc comments. I had accompanying unit tests to verify functionality and even made the trenary tree problem with generics. The only thing that could have possibly been done better is making the tree auto balancing, but given that most at home coding challenges are 30-60 minutes I felt like I already expanded enough effort.

Whoever is reviewing the coding solutions has an UNUSUALLY UNREALISTIC BAR.

Interview Questions

Data Scientist Interview

Data Scientist
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Zillow in March 2014.

Interview Details – Was looking for interesting jobs in Seattle, when I stumbled across Zillow's posting for a Data Scientist. I jumped at the chance to work for them. I applied online and about 3 weeks later I did a phone interview with a technical recruiter and they then gave me a project to work on. It was very interesting and they told me to use whatever language I wanted to solve the problem and submit my results and code as soon as I had them. They must have like it enough to do another phone interview and fly me out for several in person interviews. The in person interviews were not as technical as other places, which I like. I think Zillow has it together for interviews. It seems they would rather base hiring off of a project level solution than quick answers to silly probability questions. Which is nice. In about 2 days after the in person interviews Zillow made me a great offer.

Interview Question – A few technical coding questions, and lots of background questions. An unexpected one was 'What can you bring to Zillow?'.   Answer Question

Ad Sales Interview

Ad Sales
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Zillow.

Interview Details – The interview process started out great. I applied online for a job and was contacted via email to schedule a phone interview. After i passed the phone interview they set me up for a one sided skype interview. I was then contacted to come into the office for an in person interview.. The first manager i met with looked like she just rolled out of bed and acted as if she was not impressed by my presence. She did not ask me any typical interview questions; she seemed more annoyed to be there. The second guy that interviewed me seemed like he was trying to get out of there as soon as possible and didn't ask me any real interview questions either. He did, however, ask what i planned on doing with the money i would make- which i thought was extremely rude and non of his business. I came into the interview process very confident and left feeling unsure and down about myself. Even if i would have been selected i don't think these are the kind of people i would want to work for.

Interview Question – I was not asked any interview questions. They mainly asked about me and then seemed to judge me on my response.   Answer Question

Zillow Response

Jul 17, 2014Director Recruiting

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are always striving to create a better candidate experience, and the input you have provided will help us to continue to fine tune our interview process ... More

Inside Sales Consultant Interview

Inside Sales Consultant
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Zillow in July 2014.

Interview Details – Applied via LinkedIn and was contacted by an HR recruiter to set up a brief phone interview, which was a simple screen. Then I had a video interview which was a one-way skype - 20 seconds to prepare for a question that popped up on the screen. After that since I was an out of state applicant I had a phone screen with their sales manager. Was invited to Seattle to interview with two sales managers after that. My issue is I spent nearly $1,500 flying out there from Florida and all I got in return was a copy and paste generic email saying I didn't get the job. No reason, no explanation, nothing. Not a good sign of a good company, glad I didn't get the job. Seems like their product is getting tired, too. There's only so many agents. Stay away.

Interview Question – Interviewer asked me if I had more energy. Wanted to tell him I just spent $1,000 on a flight and flew all night to get there, seemed like an inappropriate interview question.   Answer Question

Zillow Response

Jul 22, 2014Director Recruiting

Thank you for your interview feedback. As a company and as part of our recruiting philosophy, we value swiftness of communication and timely feedback. With that, we have opted to use email in ... More

Account Executive Interview

Account Executive
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Zillow in June 2014.

Interview Details – Have had 2 phone interviews so far. The first phone interview went wonderfully & the second did as well. Very lively gentlemen & full of energy. I enjoyed each interview & am eagerly awaiting to schedule my 3rd or in-person interview.

Interview Question – No unexpected questions at all. I have been myself during each one & expect to get another.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Software Development Engineer
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Zillow in June 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and got a call form a technical recruiter. I was then given a coding exercise to complete at home and send. The questions were pretty simple as mentioned in some other person here - string to long, insert & delete in trinary tree. I completed the exercise along with JUnit test cases covering all possible scenarios I could think of and returned it early morning the next day. After a day I received an email saying they would not be moving forward with me. When I asked for feedback I was told it was based on my coding exercise. I am surprised with this since my code was working and did what the requirements asked, was well tested and documented(in my opinion). The only conclusion I can draw is, they were doing some sort of lottery to pick candidates for the next round of interviews ;-)

Interview Question – string to long, insert & delete in a trinary tree   Answer Question

Collections Specialist Interview

Collections Specialist
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Zillow in March 2014.

Interview Details – I got an initial email to schedule a phone interview, which was followed up by a questionnaire. After setting a time and answering the questions, I was called by an HR member. This interview lasted around 20 minutes and focused on the questionnaire answers. From there, I was contacted via email again to set up a second interview with the lead of finance team, lasting around 30 minutes. The questions were pretty standard and the interviewers were all very nice.

Interview Question – There really were no difficult questions; all of them were pretty standard questions that you could find on a google search.   Answer Question

Worked for Zillow? Contribute to the Community!