Zillow

3.2

59 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Zillow.

Applied online and received an e-mail requesting a phone interview a few days later. Set one up for the following day and the recruiter called 10 minutes late. Asked some typical questions, but didn't really give me time to ask the questions I wanted to ask -- if he called on time then I probably would have. Prompt reply on the next steps though.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time where there was something difficult and you solved the issue   View Answer

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Zillow.

I first had a phone interview with my would-be boss, and he was extremely nice and helpful regarding the Account Management position. At the end of our phone call, he let me know he wanted me to come in and meet with some of the team members (4 interviews, 30 minutes each). I set that up with a recruiting coordinator for the following week. The interviews went extremely well, and everyone seemed to love working there. The job seemed right up my alley, and I felt that everything went really well. At the end of the interview, the recruiting coordinator walked me out and said she'd get back to me in 1 week since the position was new and they had more interviewing to do. A week and 1 day later, I had not heard anything back so I emailed my would-be boss, who I had a phone interview and in-person interview with, reassuring my desire for the job and that I was qualified. I heard nothing back. Another week went by, and I emailed the recruiting coordinator asking for an update. 1 hour later, I got a generic email stating that they were moving forward with other candidates.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question was they asked me to be an Account Manager at Zillow and role play how I would handle an angry customer on the phone.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Zillow in September 2014.

Applied online via their website. Was contacted shortly after and asked to complete 2 coding challenges. They were the same other people mentioned here. Convert a string to a long and implement insert and delete on a trinary tree. I have near 10 years of experience and know quite well how to do things such as this. Still, I took my time and spent about 4 hours making sure all of the code was write. I wrote plenty of unit tests to ensure it would all work and added comments all over as to be sure my intent in the code. After making sure the code was working perfectly, I submitted it to the HR person. A few days later and I find out that they decided to pass on me due to my answers to the coding challenges. I'm not quite sure what it is Zillow is looking for exactly. It boggles my my mind that they would pass on me this early on without even speaking to me any further or asking for more challenging puzzles to solve. The hiring process here is some of the worst I have seen. It would be nice to have a little feedback about what it is exactly they are looking for. I wanna agree with the other reviewer on here that more than likely they are using some kind of random guess or lottery pick to choose who gets to move on or not. I was not pleased with how this all turned out. In light of that, I do not recommend at all!

Interview Questions
    • None, these were both easy questions to answer. I would have loved to opportunity to have tried something more challenging, then at least I would understand why they turned me down, but not for the ones they asked me.   Answer Question

Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Zillow in September 2014.

There is a 3 step process. The first step is a phone screening interview with one of the recruiters to get to know you over the phone. Second, you are scheduled to do a one-way Skype interview answering a handful of questions. The final round is a face-to-face meeting with a couple of their Sales Managers.

Overall, great experience and great environment but what I noticed is that they don't care about experience and I actually believe that they prefer it that way so they can train individuals with a clean slate. Looking strictly for sales monkeys on the phones. Great place to START a career, especially coming right out of school, but if you are a seasoned sales person, probably not the best place. Just my opinion.

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Initial phone screen after having just submitted my resume which seemed lightening fast but this company is getting bigger pretty quickly. The recruiter was easy to talk to, though he seemed like he was quite overwhelmed.

Interview Questions
    • What are you looking for in a position here?   View Answer

Data Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Zillow in August 2014.

Applied online and got a response back pretty quickly for a phone interview. Recruiter talked to me for under 10 minutes for an internship and sent me an assignment to do. I got a csv file of like 20 rows of data with very unclear goals. I tried emailing the recruiter asking for clarification of goals and column names and got nothing. Eventually I turned something in and was later told that they moved on with a different candidate.

Interview Questions
    • Analytics question on user browsing patterns   View Answer

Client Experience Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Zillow in August 2014.

Very thorough process. I had 2 phone screenings and 4 in person interviews in a row. But that, while exhausting, ended up being a good thing, because all the people in my org work perfectly together. They strive to make sure the fit is perfect for both the company and the interviewee.

Interview Questions
    • Would you rather always ask permission or sometimes get in trouble?   View Answer
    I didn't negotiate because I was offered the highest starting pay available for this position.

Ad Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Zillow.

The interview process started out great. I applied online for a job and was contacted via email to schedule a phone interview. After i passed the phone interview they set me up for a one sided skype interview. I was then contacted to come into the office for an in person interview.. The first manager i met with looked like she just rolled out of bed and acted as if she was not impressed by my presence. She did not ask me any typical interview questions; she seemed more annoyed to be there. The second guy that interviewed me seemed like he was trying to get out of there as soon as possible and didn't ask me any real interview questions either. He did, however, ask what i planned on doing with the money i would make- which i thought was extremely rude and non of his business. I came into the interview process very confident and left feeling unsure and down about myself. Even if i would have been selected i don't think these are the kind of people i would want to work for.

Interview Questions
    • I was not asked any interview questions. They mainly asked about me and then seemed to judge me on my response.   Answer Question

Zillow Response

Jul 17, 2014Director Recruiting

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are always striving to create a better candidate experience, and the input you have provided will help us to continue to fine tune our interview process ... More

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Zillow in July 2014.

I was contacted via email the same day I submitted my application online to set up an initial phone-screening. This screening was followed by a phone interview conducted by the hiring manager.
    All questions were expected and not very difficult, however, the interviewer sounded as if he was located inside an empty conference room and speaking into the phone from 10 feet away. The questions, therefore, were quite difficult to answer fluidly considering that it was hard to decipher each word behind the echo & opacity.

Inside Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Zillow in July 2014.

Applied via LinkedIn and was contacted by an HR recruiter to set up a brief phone interview, which was a simple screen. Then I had a video interview which was a one-way skype - 20 seconds to prepare for a question that popped up on the screen. After that since I was an out of state applicant I had a phone screen with their sales manager. Was invited to Seattle to interview with two sales managers after that. My issue is I spent nearly $1,500 flying out there from Florida and all I got in return was a copy and paste generic email saying I didn't get the job. No reason, no explanation, nothing. Not a good sign of a good company, glad I didn't get the job. Seems like their product is getting tired, too. There's only so many agents. Stay away.

Interview Questions
    • Interviewer asked me if I had more energy. Wanted to tell him I just spent $1,000 on a flight and flew all night to get there, seemed like an inappropriate interview question.   Answer Question

Zillow Response

Jul 22, 2014Director Recruiting

Thank you for your interview feedback. As a company and as part of our recruiting philosophy, we value swiftness of communication and timely feedback. With that, we have opted to use email in ... More