Zillow Software Development Engineer Interview Questions

Updated May 16, 2015

2.9

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Zillow.

Interview

Giving a code test, about trinary tree and reverse string, after 1 week get email that allowing to move on to phone interview session, then receive a phone interview, and get rejected. The interview question were normal mainly focus on front end. After a week or so, I get rejected by email notification.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Zillow

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Zillow.

Interview

Got an email asking to solve 2 coding problems as soon as possible. Finished in one week, and got no feedback on the problems. After one week, received another email said that I was rejected.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Zillow in February 2015.

Interview

This was the stupidest interview I have ever attended yet. I was told to code two questions before a phone screen, passed that and went to the phone screen. A person called me and asked a very simple tree traversal question which I solved using recursion first. He then asked to solve it in a different way which I did and gave him three other solutions. All this took less than 20 minutes. I had written working code which you could compile and run. And then I get a reject next morning. I am relieved that I got a reject cause God knows how people work in this company. I would never recommend anyone to interview with them. There are much better places to work in Seattle so please don't even consider this to be an option. Pointer: For those who are still going to take a shot, I think the they filter out the code sample answers is by looking at the timestamp of your files that you send. So make sure that the date/time of creation and date/time of last modified is not more than one hour. A simple solution would be to solve the questions, create a new file and paste the solved questions, wait for about an hour, modify the file and send it.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Zillow in January 2015.

Interview

Everything seems fine at beginning. I did really well during the two technical phone interviews and the interviewer said so, too. Yet two weeks after the time that I should be contacted, the recruiter told me that I was not selected for further process. I do not have any idea why it turned out like that. I am really confused where went wrong during the process that made me lost this opportunity.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Zillow.

Interview

First they sent me two coding problems to finish. It's not difficult. The first one is convert a string to a long int. The second is implement insert and delete in a tri-nary tree. Two or three days after I submitted my solution, they made a phone interview with me. Why Zillow? How do I know Zillow? They also gave me some questions to coding in collabedit, such as Fibonacci, factorial calculation, which are not difficult.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

Applied online, received word from a recruiter that they wanted me to complete a coding exercise, as others here have stated. Completed the exercise, sent it to them, was told that it would be reviewed by an engineer, and heard that I would not be moving forward.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

Three weeks after submitting my resume, I got the email from recruiter. Two coding questions just like many have said. Two phone interview, just normal questions. And Onsite interview. Great office location.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA) in December 2014.

Interview

I was first contacted by email and asked to implement insert and delete in a trinary tree and also to figure out how to convert a long into an int and email back the solution. Afterwards I was contacted and told to schedule a phone interview. They asked me another question about trees which I don't quite recall. They told me they'd get back to me in a week and let me know if I was to advance in the process. I get no response so I send an email asking about whether or not a decision has been made yet. About a month later I get an email saying that they are still deciding which candidates to select and to wait until the end of the month to see whether or not I get an offer. Another couple of weeks go by and I got a rejection.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Zillow in November 2014.

Interview

They sent me one coding challenge consisting of two questions one is to implement insert and delete for tri-nary search tree, other one is to convert string to integer. They just asked me to send code in a file, they don't use Hacker rank or any such tools. I did both and tested it well, but i got a rejection mail after three days. I have read similar experiences.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA) in November 2014.

Interview

I talked to a recruiter at a career fair and gave them my resume. A week or so later they sent out a coding challenge, which I completed and sent back the next day. They responded very quickly, and I was set up with a phone interview for the following week, which consisted of big-O questions, then a short coding question involving data structures. We had some time left over, so he talked about working at Zillow and answered some questions I had. The interviewer was very nice and organized, and it went well overall. A few days later I got an email saying I had passed the phone interview phase and they wanted me to come in for an onsite interview sometime the following week. Onsite, I was interviewed by three separate employees for about 45 minutes each. They have you sign an NDA, but the questions were typical of what you expect from an interview for a coding position, nothing extremely easy, but nothing insane either. I got a bit stuck on one problem, but the interviewer did a nice job of nudging me in the right direction. After the technical interviews, they gave me a tour of the place and answered any remaining questions I had. I got a call two days later saying they enjoyed talking with me, and gave me an offer that I had two weeks to decide on, which I accepted. I received interviews with three other companies, and Zillow's was the most enjoyable by far.