Zillow

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Zillow.

Interview Details – Before getting a phone interview, I was given a 2-problem coding test. After submitting my solutions, we scheduled the phone interview for about a week later. The phone interview process was focused almost entirely on solving short object-oriented coding problems, which I completed using a web-based application.

Interview Question – All of the problems were more or less straightforward object-oriented programming problems.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Zillow in February 2014.

Interview Details – Interview consisted of these steps, with a continue/stop decision and 2-10 days of scheduling time between each step:
1. Phone call with a technical recruiter (15 min)
2. At-home coding exercise (2 hours)
3. Phone interview with a developer (45 min)
4. On site interview loop (4 hours)
Overall, interviews were quite enjoyable. The interviewers were clearly well-trained, the questions were a good difficulty level, and the environment put me at ease. I received the impression that the employees were all excited about and enjoyed their work.

Interview Question – I got flustered on a SQL design question - overall it wasn't the hardest question, but I didn't have the background to do well with it.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I had an offer with another company whose duties I liked more.
Not an easy choice - Zillow would have been an excellent company to work for.

Software Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Zillow.

Interview Details – They sent me a coding test pdf and let me implement it and send them source code. I think it is better to make this implementation bug-free because maybe they have their own test code to check it.
And after that they will schedule a phone interview, which is no hard.

Interview Question – Totally 2 problems and both are easy.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Zillow in September 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online, got a call from a HR and setup a technical interview in another day. The phone interview was ok and I was be able to answers most of the questions.

Interview Question – I can't remember any difficult questions. I've managed to answer it all but still no offer.   View Answer

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Zillow in November 2012.

Interview Details – 30 minutes phone screen, questions asked:
1. Explain python vs java in terms of static vs dynamic.
2. In pseudo code, given a string of integers, find duplicates.
3. What is the big-O complexity of using a C hashmap?

4 hour in-person interview, questions asked:
1. Write code to solve factorial.
2. In a game of blackjack, you're given a Hand class that has:
class Hand {
  List<Card> cards;
  int getScore( ) { }
Write code for getScore( ).
3. General big-O questions, hashmap vs binary tree, heap data structure.
4. A harder question on network stuff, the answer was easy, so don't think too hard.

Interview Question – A harder question on network stuff, the answer was easy, so don't think too hard.   Answer Question

Worked for Zillow? Contribute to the Community!