Zimmer Gunsul Frasca Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2015

2.5

Office Manager/Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Zimmer Gunsul Frasca (Seattle, WA).

Interview

The woman who would be my 'boss' came up to Seattle from the home office in Bellevue to interview prospects. I had gotten my resume late in the process as I had another job & couldn't decide if it would be best to keep that job or go for the ZGF position. When I sat down, Jan (who was the CFO and Manager of Admin.) and I immediately hit it off. It was so amazing that when I got the job and spent my first week in Portland following her around we both kept saying, oh that's just what I was going to say. Obviously, it was a very comfortable interview and went well.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you would be the best candidate for this position?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Although I have had much experience in negotiations, it wasn't necessary in this case. They had stated an annual salary in their advertisement so that was settled. I did get very large annual increases in salary because Jan & the Managing Partner in Seattle felt I was doing such a good job. When I left, I had gone from $35,000/yr to $43,000/yr. Because I also worked as a clent secretary, I received overtime pay. One month my pay was $53,000. Much as I enjoyed the job, liked the other emplyees, and worked in a beautiful spot that looked out a large window at Puget Sound, I left after 2 1/2 years because the company was too conservative. I had spent 20 years in Advertising Agencies and couldn't live without the more out-going, ya-ha, fun ambiance. I left to join an Advertising Agency in Spokane WA.

Junior Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Zimmer Gunsul Frasca (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online. Then they emailed me with a interview arrangement. I had interviewed with a design principle for about half an hour. He asked me to introduce myself and asked about the projects on portfolio one by one.

Entry Level Interior Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Zimmer Gunsul Frasca (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

The interview process was very straightforward. I received an email through HR, and was then set up with an online video chat room. I interviewed with two principles at the firm's location and felt like they were genuinely interested in getting to know me as a designer. I felt comfortable right off the bat, as both interviewers were friendly and seemed to be passionate, energetic designers. Most of the interview was spent going through my portfolio, which I enjoyed as I was able to answer more questions related to my design philosophy and process.

Interview Questions

• There was not one specific difficult question asked, but I will say they are very interested in understanding why you chose a specific solution for a project. They asked many questions that delved into my thought process - i.e. how do your ceiling forms relate to your original concept? I would liken it to a more relaxed and friendly critique than l experienced during my college years - just be prepared to defend your design in a way that relates to the job you're interviewing for.   Answer Question

Accounts Payable Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Zimmer Gunsul Frasca (Portland, OR) in November 2012.

Interview

A regular face-to-face interview with two interviewers at once (no phone screen, thank goodness). Standard interview questions - interview was non-confrontational, didn't get a bad vibe. The turnoff for me was that they handed a detailed pamphlet to me during the interview that, I realize they were trying to be helpful describing the position and company but it came across as "laundry-listish" and too formal for so early in the process. The layout of the building is very dark and formal, just not my style.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions they asked were unexpected or difficult.   Answer Question

Receptionist/Marketing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Zimmer Gunsul Frasca (Washington, DC) in April 2010.

Interview

A staffing agency submitted my resume and organized an interview mid-day in the agency's office.

Interview Questions

• Do you consider yourself more of an administrative person or a receptionist?   Answer Question

Project Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Zimmer Gunsul Frasca in December 2009.

Interview

Know your stuff. The hiring staff is sharp, and the offices hire the best of the best. They want to maintain their position as a intuitive and sustainably focused design firm who maintains a sharp focus on their client's needs and hopes, so expect to present an equally focused intellect at your interview.

Interview Questions

• Whose body of work do you admire (architect or firm) and why?   Answer Question