Zirtual

Updated Nov 18, 2014

2.8

Interviews for Top Jobs at Zirtual

Zirtual Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Zirtual.

A 8 to 9 step-hiring process. Best to make sure you have a lot of free time the week you decide to apply. You will be given model tasks to try, need to become familiar with Zirtual's core values, and will have at least 2 Skype interviews. Once you click the "apply" button on the website, you will immediately be given other prompts to continue the application process.

Zirtual Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Zirtual in November 2014.

First, I applied on website (filled out form). Was sent an automated email asking to complete a task called "Culture Shock." It was three questions:

1)Why do you want to work for Zirtual?
    2)Why do you think you’d be a good culture fit?
    3)Which core value resonates most with you and why?

Once I completed these questions, I was sent another automated email asking that I complete "Three Sample Tasks." For an experienced EA these tasks were easy, standard and didn't take very long to complete.

1) Finding/Scheduling a flight from New York to Las Vegas with connection to Denver. Also show screen shots of the calendar in the correct time zone etc.

2) A client wanting help selecting a credit card. Had to come up with some credit card comparisons.

3 )A client is traveling to Florence and wanted to know some hotspots for outside activities, deals on museums etc.

After I submitted this task, it took a week to hear back. I even sent an email following up. I heard back from them shortly after that. I was offered an interview. The interview would only be 20 minutes and be over Google Hangout. I was asked to click a link and find the best time for my schedule. Once I did interview, I was the one who initiated the call and I spoke with a woman primarily and then another Zirtual Employee (male) who just observed.

This was my first interview out of the gate (I had stayed home raising my kids for the past three years and am getting back to work--so I was a bit rusty I'm sure). I found their connection was a little lagging-- the video was choppy and the quality wasn't that great. At one point, I was pretty sure both of them frowned upon some of the information I gave them. (Literally frowning and acting sad--all because I said I researched the company and was impressed by their response in regards to a negative comment that was on Glassdoor. It was a very well thought out response and it impressed me. So I told them. Why they would frown on that is beyond me.) The interview was only 20 minutes long. I really felt that during that time, the whole process was rushed and then once we were actually getting to the meat of the interview, it was cut off. I had a few questions (I was super excited about this company and wanted to understand the hierarchy). When I asked questions using the term "manager" or "supervisor," they acted as if it was completely confusing and alluded that it was inappropriate to say those words and I was sounding so "corporate." They started explaining that all ZAs are put in a POD that we all "lean on and support each other." Sounded nice in theory but they really didn't answer my question. It *almost* seemed they were trying to be hip or "too cool for school" in regards to their terminology. Kind of like when you visit an Apple Store and everyone is either a "Genius" or "Mini-Genius." HA!

In any case, it was a pleasant interview for the most part and I appreciated the opportunity. They told me initially that I would find out the next day about their decision. Then I received an email at 6 pm that day saying it would be early the following week. When I didn't receive an email by that Monday or Tuesday, I figured I hadn't gotten the job. Finally, after a week of waiting, I was sent a very polite, empathetic, and very generic email stating I was not moving forward.

I have over 8 years experience working in high/low stress environments, working as a dedicated assistant for a Big 12 University Vice President as well as government officials from the Department of Energy, handling sensitive information and executing tasks and projects with time to spare. I know I would be an extremely helpful asset to this company had I been given the chance, however, I apparently did not fit the mold.... whatever that mold is.

I was interested in this company for a couple of reasons:

1) It's young (less than 5 years old) and fresh
    2) There is room to grow
    3) They seem to have it together
    4) They present themselves in a way that makes it seem as if there is a community within this company. Whether that is true or not, I won't get the chance to know.

The interview is obviously a big part of the process. However, my work on the sample tasks was exceptional and I am not sure that was even considered seriously. Be advised that this job only pays $11/hour with "room to grow." I was fine with that. I want to work from home and bring in some cash while keeping my skills up and move up within a company.

Bummer it won't be this company.

Interview Questions
    • What would the person who likes you least in the world say about you?   View Answer

Zirtual Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Zirtual.

This was probably the hardest interview process I have every gone through to get a job. They are very thorough, and are looking for elite people to fill their positions. You will be asked to complete tasks before hiring, to see how well you can do with it. After 2 or 3 tasks, you will be offered a face-2-face interview via Skype, then if hired, you would go through a week of training and a certification test. If you pass the test, you continue your training for 4 more weeks while onboarding clients. This process is not for the faint of heart. Stick with it, and chances are they will hire you.

Interview Questions
    • Honestly I didn't think the interview questions were all that bad.   Answer Question

Zirtual Response

Nov 17, 2014Co-founder

Hey there, thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We do try to make it somewhat difficult in the beginning so that we can find the best people who really enjoy the process. After ... More

Zirtual Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Zirtual in September 2014.

Applied online - how else for a telecommuting position? Received back a link to learn about the company and culture, then a request to answer some questions relating to my ability to fit into the company. Received a list of tasks - some of which I had never done before and a 48 hr time limit to return the work. The tasks were representative of the work I've been doing since being hired, so it made a lot of sense. Ability to meet deadlines is a key requirement as is the ability to search out information with or without previous experience with it. 3-4 days after submitting tasks, received a request for a video chat interview. Received hiring decision about a week later, and began training 2 weeks after that.

Interview Questions
    • The test tasks were a surprise, but completely made sense in conjunction with the job.   Answer Question
    none; the rate of pay is posted.

Zirtual Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Zirtual.

The employment process is good, it consists of several written and verbal interviews and tests consisting of written questions and can be lengthy. They also do a Skype or Google Hangout interview so that they can get an idea of how you work on a one-on-one bases and how clients will perceive you when you talk to them.

Interview Questions
    • There are no difficult questions, the questions are mainly focused on how you can work from home and be productive, what your goals and ambitions are and how you will interact with clients and co-workers. An unexpected question was personal and was about what inspires you in life.   Answer Question

Zirtual Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Zirtual.

Strangest interview process I've ever been part of. I was told I passed the initial screening and that I would need to complete a sample project. The entire process took place via email (which is to be expected for a position like this), however, the message (from Cailee N) was filled with typos - specifically misspellings and grammatical errors. The instructions were incredibly vague and had conflicting information. When I asked for clarification, I never received a response. At that point, I didn't pursue it any further.

Interview Questions
    • No question were asked. I simply filled out an online application.   Answer Question

Zirtual Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Zirtual in February 2014.

Saw this opening on FlexJobs.com and sent a resume/application. Was contacted a couple of days later with instructions for the interview process. Was sent increasingly difficult tasks that one might expect from a Client in this type job. Some of those tasks come with detailed instructions, some were vague.

They are not getting their candidates doing "free" work although it might feel like that.

After the last interview, I was offered the position a few minutes after the video ended.

2 weeks of (paid) training follows with online classes and then with an online mentor. Expect at least 3 vidoe conferences during this time.

The training was hard! And worth time spent. There is also a "Certification" test.

Interview Questions
    • They were all unexpected. Some were difficult and others were not.   View Answer
    There is no negotiation involved. At the time I accepted the position, it was for independent contractor with wages based on client hours that I would set.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Zirtual.

You go through a couple of rounds, the first is a fairly basic questionnaire. Then you send in a video (2 minutes max) with a couple of questions. Finally you do some sample tasks. They claim they hire only 1% of applicants...maybe even less because so many people are interested in the remote work. But if you show you're skills and resourcefulness you can do it!

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, set rate per client per month (50% of the price they charge clients)

Virtual Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Zirtual.

Sample tasks, skype interviews and other tests. The process spanned over a couple months. After getting my sample tasks approved I was sent a link to schedule my interview which was about 6 weeks away. They require a lot of your time during hiring.

Interview Questions
    • I can't recall but the sample tasks were very time consuming.   Answer Question

Zirtual Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Zirtual in May 2013.

After completing a sample travel itinerary and an essay question in April, Zirtual sent an email praising my work and invited me to schedule a Skype interview. The Skype interview was scheduled five weeks after the initial completion of the sample tasks. The interviewer was pleasant and asked very basic questions ("What are you good at? What do you value?"). A week or so after the interview in May, I received an email advising I was selected to be a Zirtual assistant, HOWEVER, they would contact me again in JULY giving me additional details as to when I could start. When July rolled around weeks later, the person who interviewed me sent another email stating they would not be hiring me. She gave no indication as to why they changed their minds.
    It was too much of a time consuming process for a part time position. In total, the process took about three months. Also, it makes a company look pretty incompetent when they tell a candidate they were selected, have them wait an entire month only to tell them they would not be hired.