ZocDoc

Updated Dec 19, 2014
Updated Dec 19, 2014

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ZocDoc in April 2010.

I applied on ZocDoc's career page. The entire process was really fast. Within a couple weeks of applying, I had accepted an offer. The first round was a phone screen with the CTO. It was very technical and to the point. The second round was onsite, and included a few 2 on 1 interviews. All were extremely technical and challenging. I also interviewed with the COO and CEO, but those were less technical.

I also had drinks and food with the engineering team the night before the onsite interviews, it was nice to get to know everyone a bit before the actual interviews.

It's an efficient process, just be prepared to answer tough questions on most CS fundamentals (e.g., big-o analysis, databases, OO, etc).

Interview Questions
    • I'm not going to give away any of their interview questions.   Answer Question
    I did negotiate, but it was pretty quick. Be prepared when you interview onsite though, I negotiated my offer that day. They also only gave a week to make a decision on the offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at ZocDoc in April 2011.

I went in, and was met first by a group of two people, who were very laid back and relaxed. They asked me a very technical and in depth question, took about an hour. After that, met with two more people (separately), and went home. Overall very technical and challenging.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at ZocDoc in March 2010.

The interview took several hours and included a lunch with the engineering team. I had 3 technical interviews, followed by an interview with the COO and then dinner with the CEO. I liked that the technical interviews were oriented towards algorithms and problem solving, instead of questions about specific languages and tools. It was nice to see a company get this right for once.

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ZocDoc in June 2012.

It started with a LinkedIn note, an email to setup a phone screening, and a phone screening. After the phone screening, they sent over a Work History Sheet to fill out that was 7 pages of employment questions. I have never had to fill this out for any of the 7 positions I have been at and was taken aback by this worksheet. I did my best to fill it out and then requested next steps. I was setup for a call with a recruiter there with the title "Sales Consultant." He quickly got on the phone with me and started down a one-way Q&A path that was so far outside of a conversation, that it quickly turned me off to anything that they are doing. The guy acted like he walked on gold and that I should be honored to be speaking with him. He asked about my background and reasons I left but was very short when I tried to explain myself. Completely rude and out of touch with what ZocDoc wants, I do not recommend it.

Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at ZocDoc in April 2012.

Very intense interview process. Phone Screen, Personality test, Skype interview, In-Person rounds in NYC for the day, Skype with regional manager, Skype with VP of Sales, Offer. It's really intense and fast-paced and you can get booted out of the process without explanation at any step. They're very picky about who they take and culture is one of the most important aspects of what they're looking for.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at ZocDoc.

I was contacted via email by an internal recruiter to set up a Skype interview.The Skype Interview was brief with two simple for loop/string manipulation questions. Don't let "passing" this stage of the process give you a false sense of accomplishment. The next step was an in-person interview that spanned three hours which was significantly more complicated. It consisted of intense algorithm efficiency/data structure type questions that I vaguely recalled from my graduate level computer science courses. They have you whiteboard all your work while someone verbally evaluates your thought process so you best be good at thinking on your feet. I've done web development for several years and it's a shame that there are companies like this that insist on grilling you on advanced computer science questions rather than concepts actually relevant to day to day work. Demonstrating solid knowledge of web services and design patterns is significantly more pertinent to backend development than coming up with a "graph algorithm in a big O time of log(n)" on the spot.

Company culture seems desirable, but you better be on your A-game in terms of what you learned in an academic setting, even for a senior engineer position. Mastery of SQL, MVC, etc are practically irrelevant to the interviewers in terms of the hiring process which in my opinion is a serious error in judgment. Programmers who learned their skills on the job rather than at a university are destined for failure.

Interview Questions
    • Describe an algorithm to find the longest increasing sequence in a list of integers. After coming up with a solution, now make it more efficient in terms of Big-O time.   Answer Question

Technical Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ZocDoc in October 2012.

My recruiter contacted me shortly after applying for two positions (full-time and part-time Patient Operations positions), and was very friendly over the phone. After discussing my experience and specific skills I had, he mentioned that there was an opening for a Technical Operations Associate that he could consider me for, and said that my skills were a good fit and that there would mostly be training on the job. At this time, I noted that the description of this opening was very vague, and said less about the skills they needed for someone in this job than it did about the attitude of the person they needed. That's kind of par for the course for a lot of start-up jobs in NYC, though. It took about two weeks to get an interview date locked down (this was before/during/after Hurricane Sandy).

When I came in for the interview, it was in two rounds. The first was with two people from the department, including a supervisor (they gave me conflicting reports about how the department was structured). They asked me a bunch of questions about my technical background, and the supervisor was visibly and verbally unimpressed by my skills and qualifications. Pretty early on in this phase of the interview, I realized this position was distinctly different from what the recruiter had explained. The second round was with two people from another department (possibly recruiting/HR), and this round went much better - I had a better repor with both of these interviewers, and they seemed more receptive to the questions I had about ZocDoc, although they were evasive about some questions I had about how the departments were structured, and seemed to up-sell the idea of getting promoted moreso than what I would be doing in the role I was interviewing for.

About two days after my interview, I received a form email notifying me I wasn't being considered for the job, which I wasn't surprised by. Overall, I got a negative impression of how ZocDoc is run internally after this interview process, and felt as though there was a distinct disconnect between the recruiting process and the interviews.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most technical thing you've ever done?
      Have you ever worked with engineers?

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at ZocDoc in December 2012.

I was referred for the position by a classmate and received a phone call from a recruiter around two days later. It was very brief; I was asked about my interests and work experience.

The next round was supposed to be a technical Skype interview, but I met some of the engineers at an event on campus and was able to answer some technical questions there. They were all very friendly and easy to approach.

I was then invited to come in to the office for a series of technical interviews. The process consisted of three hour-long interviews. Two of the interviews were focused on Data Structures and Algorithms. The third was a Design interview with two of the engineers. The questions were very straightforward and test your ability to think on your feet. It seemed like they were looking for strong fundamentals and the ability to work through a problem. The design interview tested basic Object Oriented Programming and Design. Everybody on the team was very nice and they gave a detailed description of the work environment. I was then asked to come in one week later to interview with the CTO. He asked me one technical question and why I was interested in working for the company. He gave me a tour around the office and told me a little bit about their software infrastructure.

I got my offer soon after.

Interview Questions
    • I don't want to give away any questions. Just be prepared to solve problems.   View Answers (3)
    The negotiation process was almost non-existent; I was sent a contract to sign by email. Based on glassdoor reviews and what friends working there had told me, the terms and salary were exactly what I was expecting.

Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 4 daysinterviewed at ZocDoc in May 2012.

Received an email asking to set up a phone interview after submitting an application online. The interview (which took place Tuesday evening) lasted a little over fifteen minutes, and my interviewer told me he would be in touch regardless of ZocDoc's decision Thursday night; I got a rejection email Friday morning. My interview, although fifteen minutes long, was far from personal, and my interviewer was not at all interested in actually getting to know me. It would behoove ZocDoc to hire based on intelligence and skill rather than its perception of uniqueness. If the economy were not so awful I would be glad that I did not receive an offer to work with people who are only superficially interested interested in getting to know potential employees.

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ZocDoc in February 2012.

Did a number of interviews (~8) in phone with HR and in person - spoke with people from all functions in their NY office. Enjoyed good discussion on how the company is changing the face of healthcare.

Interview Questions
    • How would we break into a new market?   View Answer
    • What is the biggest threat to ZocDoc's success?   View Answer

Great company - strong management team, awesome location, and good people. However, salary was too low, and their current estimated valuation is too high, reducing the upside potential. I didn't feel the options they offered compensated came close to meeting the differential since the terms were unfavorable and value was too low.