ZocDoc

Updated Jan 23, 2015
Updated Jan 23, 2015

2.9

Inside Sales Executive Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at ZocDoc.

Interviewed with a sales manager. He sounded like he was either reading questions from a script or just regurgitating something he memorized. There was very little conversation. When I answered one of his questions, he wouldn't respond, he'd just ask another question. I didn't get a good feeling but I was asked to come in for a third interview. I declined. After speaking with the sales manager, it didn't seem like a job I wanted to do.

Interview Questions

Declined a third interview to meet the other sales managers. Just not the right job for me.

Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at ZocDoc in December 2014.

Recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn multiple times. Decided to make a career move and said why not. Had a phone interview and 1 interview and then alerted them that I was not interested. They proceeded to tell me a week later that I did not get the job even after I pulled myself out of contention. I previously was a high level sales professional in finance and have made a lot more money than the losers interviewing me. I found them to be unprofessional and uninformed on routine business practices (did not know what a statutory employee meant). One thing to note, the hygiene of the 3 gentleman that interviewed me was disturbingly gross. One smelled of booze, the other one kept spitting while he spoke and the 3rds shirt buttons kept on coming undone in his shirt because his stomach was too big for the shirt. To say I was dramatized, is an understatement. I ended up taking a job for 5xs as much in real estate development and I would strongly suggest to others that they stay away from this grotesque establishment.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing of substance. Just mid level sales management trying to press to see if you can sell.   View Answer

SOA Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at ZocDoc.

My buddy got me in the door, interview went great and I ended up being offered the position on the spot. This isn't typical, but sometimes it can happen. It's a fairly standard interview, they give you a tour of the office, and basically sell you on the culture just by showing it to you.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to sell a product to them, out of the blue, that I sold in the past. I had to remember my pitch but it went well.   Answer Question
    None

Account Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ZocDoc.

The interview process leaves a lot to be desired from a firm that is supposedly one of the best places to work in New York.

After the initial recruiter reached out about an open Sales position, I let them know I was more interested in Account Management and building up the relationship with clients over time. I was then scheduled for a second phone call with a different HR person. Since I am currently employed, I let them know I would need to conduct phone interviews after business hours (5:30pm). He seemed as though this was an inconvenience to them and was only able to schedule a call for right at 5pm with a member of the Account Management team.

I spoke to 3 different people throughout the process, and did not get the impression that any of them were capable of answering specific questions about the company and about the position. None of them could answer the question "Where do you see ZocDoc growing in 3,5, and 10 years?" without mindlessly repeating the mantra "providing the best healthcare experience possible." They were also not prepared to answer questions about career development (it's obvious their turnover is so high they don't develop careers) or about long term plans for developing client relationships. They could not even answer basic questions referring to recent company developments mentioned in the news.

Previous reviewers of the company have complained about the high turnover rate and low salary. My brief interactions with the company only confirms those previous reviewers are correct in their negative assessment of this firm. I'm disappointed this is the case, but it sounds like Crain's reviews are total BS.

Inside Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at ZocDoc in October 2014.

First interview was over the phone, second interview is in person,
    Third interview you meet with two people,
    Fourth interview you meet with two people
    Fifth Interview you meet with one person.
    They all ask you the same questions ;
    They try to execute a good cop bad cop routine It ends up feeling like good cop good cop routine.
    Be yourself if you are a happy person;
    Ofcourse being professional

Interview Questions
    • Pitch me like you would at your previous position. They will hit you with objections   View Answer
    Everyone has a set salary and the benefits and pay are great, there was no need for negotiating

Javascript Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ZocDoc in December 2014.

Recruiter contacted me and was very nice. Process went smooth. Received a phone interview via Skype as step one. We shared a document and I was able to write up syntax for a basic constructor for a counter along with an example in Backbone for changing an image on the screen using a "Previous" and "Next" button. My experience told me I did fine since I was asked to visit onsite. The onsite visit consisted of a whiteboard coding exercise with 2 software engineers (one with 5 months working at ZocDoc) and a separate 1:1 with a manager rocking his chair like a small child while I was being as professional as possible. Overall the people were great, I just don't see the on-site team as good interviewers.

Interview Questions
    • I was discussing what I worked on at my current company. I explained different areas that I am eager to learn such as Backbone Routers since they are not used on my current projects. I was then asked to create a router using a whiteboard - this immediately told me they were not interested since I was hoping to gain this skill working for them.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Contacted by a recruiter.

First round skype tech interview - my interviewer was super nice and seemed really smart. After normal self introduction of myself, he gave me a fairly simple code problem to solve (string validation related). I come up with stack based solution and solved it quickly. He made a slightly more complex case and I also solved that.

Soon I got onsite interview. First round is basic introduction, experience, skills etc. Then some whiteboard coding and the interviewer kept asking "what if you cannot use this feature" which was really inspiring. It went well. Second round was object oriented design for a real-world problem. This was heavily based on discussion. The interviewer was very "cool" and made me a little nervous. That went just OK. Then a principle engineer came in with another problem. After design I was asked to code it while we discussed it. I did OK.

Then I got an skype interview with CTO. A interesting probability related question was asked and I quickly solved that. Then he changed to another scenario to make the case more generic. I stopped for a little while and coded a solution. He asked about big O and I got that. He asked me whether it can be improved and I quickly mentioned some way to reduce a couple of loops. He also hinted that the search can be improved and I quickly grasped the idea. He then said OK that's the basically the correct answer. When can you start etc. He seemed busy and didn't leave me any chance to ask him questions.

I was then contacted my recruiter again and I learnt that they typically leave you a 24-hour window to accept their offer. I thought I was getting an offer soon, but after 1 week I was told that their hiring period was "just over" so that couldn't hire me. Which I don't quite understand. But I don't care because I got a way better offer soon after that.

Overall very positive feeling for the whole process. I don't see much of a "startup ego" like others mentioned.

Their floor make noise when waking on it. And they seriously lack restrooms and the meeting rooms are super small.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ZocDoc.

Super friendly and nice recruiter. Helped me throughout the entire process! I met with several people on the team with one on one interviews. Each person had similar questions. They are looking for someone smart and outgoing. They all emphasis being competitive and hardworking,

Interview Questions
    • What are two things about you that I don't see on your resume.   Answer Question

Technology Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at ZocDoc in October 2014.

Ignorance of Skype by ZocDoc staff can and will be held against you. Skype Interview was arranged 4 days in advance. I had forwarded them Skype ID/ Skype phone number along with my cell phone and email confirming my contacts for the interview that would occur 4 days later The day of the interview I had logged into Skype at 10:30 for an arranged 11:00 Skype interview. 11:00 came and went and still no ZocDoc. Contacted recruiter who was puzzled. At 11:20 I saw an icon appear on the Skype Screen stating someone from Zocdoc had requested Skype contact approval at 10:55.
    As any experience skype user or anyone with a google account can tell you, Skype contact requests can take anywhere from several minutes to several hours to route through the system. Apparently they took me as a no show, didn't try the 4 alternate contacts and did not acknowledge my explanation or attempt to reschedule.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ZocDoc in August 2014.

Applied online, through website 2 days later received a phone call which the recruiter asked very basic questions, more of a screening process than anything. Had a phone interview the next day again very basic questions (your goals, sales background etc). After the phone interview went to the company HQ which is located in SoHo, very casual setting no business attire needed. Got interviewed by 2 different managers where they fully explained the sales process and what is expected sales wise for the position. About a week later had last phone interview with GE manager who basically went over same details as previous 2. next day received offer of employment, which I later declined only due to another job offering. overall process took about 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most difficult situation you had in a previous position and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Zocdoc offered decent base salary and commission on sales, but ultimately cold calling wasn't what I really wanted to get into so I declined their offer, if you have the drive and patience who that, than I highly recommend taking the position, it's just not for everyone