ZocDoc Interview Questions

Updated Sep 11, 2014

2.9

PR/Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at ZocDoc in June 2014.

Fast process, nice people, fun office. The interview was long and each interviewer pretty much asked the same questions so you had to repeat your answers over and over again. Positive interview experience, not too many stumpers, and most people that I have spoken with have generally enjoyed the company culture.

Inside Sales Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ZocDoc in June 2014.

I applied online and 2 weeks later got a call from them. They expected me to do a quick (30 min) phone interview on the spot. From my experience, companies usually will email and schedule this initial interview, not ZocDoc. After that unexpected call, they invited me to the office for an in person interview. The interview was scheduled for 7PM, also a little strange, but whatever. I met with a VP level guy. The first thing he said to me was that he was a doctor. Okay, didn't ask, but thanks. We then spent 20 minutes with him asking me questions. It soon became clear that he thought I was interviewing for a different position. I asked him which position he thought I was applying for, I told him that that was not the correct position. No apology for wasting my time, no apology for not being prepared, not even a quick laugh together over the mistake. He just continued on. At that point there was only another 5 minutes left for the interview, so it was basically over. From the second he walked in he acted like interviewing was a waste of his time. I have never experienced a more arrogant person in my life. After the interview I knew I could never work under someone like that... literally the worst interview experience of my life.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at ZocDoc.

First impression upon arrival was how casual the dress code was. Second impression - the recruiter was late by almost 20 minutes (I had arrived 15 minutes early, so I ended up waiting 35 minutes to meet with the sales recruiter). He then gave me a tour of the facility (including the kitchen, where he mentioned that lunch is catered daily), then left me in an extremely small room with a computer. The interviewer walked in about 5 minutes later with my resume in hand. I noticed throughout the interview that he did not even take the time to read my resume, and was surprised when I mentioned that I am a recent graduate. When it came my turn to ask questions, I asked him where he saw the company going in 10 years. His response: "I have no idea."

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any particularly difficult questions; they were mostly behavioral questions mixed in with "Are you sure you can do this job?"   Answer Question

Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at ZocDoc in July 2014.

I applied online and heard from a recruiter the next day. I had a phone interview that lasted about 20 minutes and was more of a friendly conversation with more details about the job description. After that the recruiter set me up with an interview at the office. I met with three different people, two in person and one via skype in NY. Everyone I spoke with was very nice and I felt very comfortable. There weren't really any tricky questions, just more details about my resume and my experiences at past jobs and internships. When I arrived home I received a call a few hours later with an offer.

I think what they're really looking for is great customer service skills, someone who is well articulated, and has a genuine interest in the well being of people.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time you went above and beyond for a customer   Answer Question
    I tried to negotiate but they aren't open to it.

Sales Origination Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at ZocDoc in July 2014.

Took about 3 weeks for the entire process. Was reached out my a recruiter and had 3 interviews. The last two were in-person at the NYC office. I feel like there's a certain mold (clique) that is sought after for this position. They want you to be a cutthroat sales person with no heart (i.e. competitive).

Interview Questions
    • What's the most common misconception about you? Do you love to win or hate to lose?   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ZocDoc.

Contacted by an external recruiter and given a phone screen on skype a few days later. The phone screen was highly technical and I was asked to write code in a shared document. The questions were of average difficulty. I thought I did okay, not great, just okay.

I got an in person interview for the following week. Their office is straight out of a children's fantasy book. Once you walk through that door, you're through the looking-glass. Very colorful, lots of stuff everywhere. Honestly, it made me uncomfortable.

The office is two floors and massive, though it has unique ways of feeling small. Tiny offices in some spaces, tons of people, small small bathrooms. There was a "play room" which is a creepy thing to call it when the place feels a bit like a child's dream to begin with, but anyway it was a poor excuse for a break room. It's like they just had a couch and a tv and an arcade machine because it's the startup thing to do.

I was brought into a (very) tiny room for my interview. There were probably half a dozen around it, just like it. The first question asked was essentially asking for a recursive algorithm. Basically assuming you have nodes which point to and from different nodes (multiples, sometimes), retrieve all the nodes within x steps. This is a frustrating question unless you're comfortable and in a good environment. On my own, I'll solve this problem just fine.

I was given a few sharpies which had frayed tips and low ink. The whiteboard was an abrasive wall painted white, so writing on it was awkward. It resulted in very very messy writing. That combined with my imperfect performance...it was all pretty hideous and horrible to me. It worked, but it was just brutal.

They asked running time, which was so hard to calculate when I could hardly even read my own code.

For what it's worth, the gentleman who interviewed me seemed SUPER high on ZocDoc,, like indoctrination scary... be careful what you say, you might get someone who really only wants to hire a "Zoc Star".

The next gentleman was a bit better and he asked me design questions. Way friendlier, way more reassuring. Still this all felt like a waste of time, trivial simple design stuff. I mostly went through the motions.

The whole process took about two hours. They told me to set aside 4 hours, but reassured me that the interview was not ending early, that it was just extra time set aside incase it was needed. Which sounds like a really really nice way of saying, we're ending the interview early.

Interview Questions
    • We have individual nodes connecting to and from other nodes. Each node could point to multiple nodes, or from multiple nodes. Generate the data structure to store it all and the function to retrieve a list of all the nodes within x hops from a particular node.   View Answer

Director of Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ZocDoc in June 2014.

The interview process was pretty straightforward. An initial skype screen with another Director of Engineering. Then there was an in person interview with two senior team members. The first interview was more Q&A with a product/ux focus, the second interview was more detailed system design exercise. Meeting both those team members was great and the exercise that we went through was fun!

I usually have a good read on things and I actually thought the interview went well. Unfortunately there were some "technical concerns" and they decided not to proceed any further.

I don't have any major complaints about the company. They seem like a great bunch, doing quite a lot in a fun environment and I wish them all the best. I did think my first interview could have been handled a little more professionally which has led me to my overall negative rating.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing specific here but be prepared to flex your system design experience and talk through possible scalability issues.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Had a skype interview with a very nice software engineer. The interview lasted about 45 minutes and most of the questions were focused on OOP concepts and data structures. I felt like I did very well answering the questions, and the interviewer said at the end that he would be scheduling another interview for me. About 2 days later, I received a rejection letter without any explanation.

Sales Origination Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ZocDoc in June 2014.

Spoke initially with a recruiter, then a phone interview with an account manager, then a Skype interview with the Sales Executive. All three were rather impersonal- they basically asked questions off a list and jotted down my answers.

Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at ZocDoc in April 2014.

I applied online and got an immediate email back requesting a phone interview. That took about 15 minutes. Following that, I went in to the office for an in-person interview with the recruiter and the operations manager. Another visit was to meet the director. Finally, I set up a Skype interview with the Operations Manager in NYC.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a problem you had at work and how you handled it.   Answer Question