ZocDoc Interview Questions

Updated Apr 22, 2015

2.8

Senior Level Leadership Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at ZocDoc (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Let me put it this way, this was the worst interview experience in my 20+ year career. The consensus environment DOES NOT WORK. There was not proper allocation of time for each interview, and when I say each - I mean 8+ on a first round. It was like a marathon with back to backs, which was not the real issue. The real issue is that not one person was prepared or fully engaged at the level needed to get to know a candidate at the expertise level. The interruptions mid sentence, and the interruptions to pull a Sr. leader out of the interview to race her/him to the next thing, is not professional. How can any one person, get a real interview accomplished if the person leading the interview is either late, rushed off to the next thing, or so disengaged in their own company that they spend most of their time complaining to you about the culture, stress, work loads, and lack of support. This was the most unprofessional experience of my career here in NYC. I would really think that the CEO would want to take a deeper dive into their processes and their HR group.

Interview Questions

• Most people, not all, ask very uninformed questions that were unprepared and in some cases, not even applicable.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at ZocDoc.

Interview

A recruiter found me on LinkedIn. Set up and conducted a phone interview. It was about 20-30 minutes. During the phone interview, the recruiter mostly asked me what questions I had about ZocDoc. The recruiter explained the way ZocDoc works, the company structure, the scope of the position and compensation. I asked what attracted them to my resume? They said retention and sales stats. I asked most of the questions. Recruiter had very few questions for me.

Interview Questions

• The recruiter asked me--What questions do you have about ZocDoc?   Answer Question

Sales Origination Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at ZocDoc (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

I sent my resume and cover letter online. Two days later the recruiter called me to set up a phone interview. She did not call me at the time we agreed upon so I called her and she asked to reschedule. At the end of the call, she said she would forward my resume to a manager and send me an email with more information about the company. That email never came. Two days later, I received a rejection email. I did not enjoy this interview process at all. It felt very disorganized and made me not want to work there even though I was very interested in the company initially.

Interview Questions

• I forgot the questions. Maybe if I had cold calling experience.   Answer Question

Director of Product Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ZocDoc (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

1. Phone screen with internal recruiter
    2. 1-hr in-person screen with VP of Product (my would-be boss)
    3. don't know - never got to that next step

I thought the interview went well and expected to be called to the next round, but got an email from interviewer that he didn't see a fit. This was surprising, as we had never gone into sufficient detail to ascertain fit. I have a very impressive resume (Google, successful startups, ivy league education, etc.) and don't think I blew the in-person screen with the VP, so was pretty sure I made it to the next round.

Emailed him back to ask for concrete feedback; have yet to hear back.

Interview Questions

• It was a general conversation about my career and my approach to product management. We went relatively in-depth into a couple of my previous jobs. I had about 5 minutes at the end to answer my questions.   Answer Question

Photo Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at ZocDoc (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Scheduled phone interview after they emailed me regarding the position. Questions seemed pretty basic, mostly related to the position. I got to ask a few follow up questions about the work and the company too. All pleasant enough.

Interview Questions

• How would your friends describe you?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at ZocDoc.

Interview

Interviewed with a sales manager. He sounded like he was either reading questions from a script or just regurgitating something he memorized. There was very little conversation. When I answered one of his questions, he wouldn't respond, he'd just ask another question. I didn't get a good feeling but I was asked to come in for a third interview. I declined. After speaking with the sales manager, it didn't seem like a job I wanted to do.

Interview Questions

Declined a third interview to meet the other sales managers. Just not the right job for me.

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ZocDoc.

Interview

The interview process leaves a lot to be desired from a firm that is supposedly one of the best places to work in New York.

After the initial recruiter reached out about an open Sales position, I let them know I was more interested in Account Management and building up the relationship with clients over time. I was then scheduled for a second phone call with a different HR person. Since I am currently employed, I let them know I would need to conduct phone interviews after business hours (5:30pm). He seemed as though this was an inconvenience to them and was only able to schedule a call for right at 5pm with a member of the Account Management team.

I spoke to 3 different people throughout the process, and did not get the impression that any of them were capable of answering specific questions about the company and about the position. None of them could answer the question "Where do you see ZocDoc growing in 3,5, and 10 years?" without mindlessly repeating the mantra "providing the best healthcare experience possible." They were also not prepared to answer questions about career development (it's obvious their turnover is so high they don't develop careers) or about long term plans for developing client relationships. They could not even answer basic questions referring to recent company developments mentioned in the news.

Previous reviewers of the company have complained about the high turnover rate and low salary. My brief interactions with the company only confirms those previous reviewers are correct in their negative assessment of this firm. I'm disappointed this is the case, but it sounds like Crain's reviews are total BS.

SOA Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at ZocDoc.

Interview

My buddy got me in the door, interview went great and I ended up being offered the position on the spot. This isn't typical, but sometimes it can happen. It's a fairly standard interview, they give you a tour of the office, and basically sell you on the culture just by showing it to you.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to sell a product to them, out of the blue, that I sold in the past. I had to remember my pitch but it went well.   Answer Question

Negotiation

None

Inside Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at ZocDoc (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

I was scouted and sourced on LinkedIn by one of the recruiters. We exchanged a few emails and set up a call to discuss multiple positions based on my current sales experience. During the call, the positions made available to me sounded very interesting and promising. The recruiter offered me multiple roles based on my experience with the option to choose what role I would like with the company. We concluded our call with the recruiter promising to send me all documents to further review via email and to be in contact after the weekend with a decision. Well, the email never came and when I called on Monday to say that I am no longer interested as I want to work for a company where my co-workers and employees are held responsible, the recruiter apologized and said they would email me everything in just a minute. I chose not to take the recruiter up on any further offers as I value organizational skills and time management, and want to work with others who also uphold such values.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in working for ZocDoc?   1 Answer

Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ZocDoc (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

I did a skype call with the director of ux and then they brought me in for a 4 hour in-person interview. During the in-person, they had me put together a presentation and present my work to 10 people, who I did not know and they did not give me any information or background on them. After the presentation, they took me into a small room where people came in one by one and asked me a bunch of questions about my experience and how I would handle situations. They did not really leave anytime for me to get to understand how they worked-- just focused on grilling me the whole time. They also had me sit by myself for long periods of time in between interviews which I found really rude.

I think my biggest thing with the interview is that they should realize it is not a one way streak! They need to appeal to me as much as I would to them. I thought they felt like I would just want to work there, even though they did nothing to make me want that.

After the interview, they asked me for my references but never called them. They told me they would get in touch with me and never did. I followed up 3 weeks later because I thought it was rude to hear nothing back, even though I had already accepted an offer elsewhere.

If this is how they treat people, why would anyone want to work there? They should focus on making good impressions and selling why someone would want to join their team, not just focus on if they want you.

Interview Questions

• They asked a lot of behavioral questions so just be prepared to give examples of how you would handle problems and meet them with solutions.   Answer Question