ZocDoc

Updated Dec 19, 2014
Updated Dec 19, 2014

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ZocDoc.

Contacted by an external recruiter and given a phone screen on skype a few days later. The phone screen was highly technical and I was asked to write code in a shared document. The questions were of average difficulty. I thought I did okay, not great, just okay.

I got an in person interview for the following week. Their office is straight out of a children's fantasy book. Once you walk through that door, you're through the looking-glass. Very colorful, lots of stuff everywhere. Honestly, it made me uncomfortable.

The office is two floors and massive, though it has unique ways of feeling small. Tiny offices in some spaces, tons of people, small small bathrooms. There was a "play room" which is a creepy thing to call it when the place feels a bit like a child's dream to begin with, but anyway it was a poor excuse for a break room. It's like they just had a couch and a tv and an arcade machine because it's the startup thing to do.

I was brought into a (very) tiny room for my interview. There were probably half a dozen around it, just like it. The first question asked was essentially asking for a recursive algorithm. Basically assuming you have nodes which point to and from different nodes (multiples, sometimes), retrieve all the nodes within x steps. This is a frustrating question unless you're comfortable and in a good environment. On my own, I'll solve this problem just fine.

I was given a few sharpies which had frayed tips and low ink. The whiteboard was an abrasive wall painted white, so writing on it was awkward. It resulted in very very messy writing. That combined with my imperfect performance...it was all pretty hideous and horrible to me. It worked, but it was just brutal.

They asked running time, which was so hard to calculate when I could hardly even read my own code.

For what it's worth, the gentleman who interviewed me seemed SUPER high on ZocDoc,, like indoctrination scary... be careful what you say, you might get someone who really only wants to hire a "Zoc Star".

The next gentleman was a bit better and he asked me design questions. Way friendlier, way more reassuring. Still this all felt like a waste of time, trivial simple design stuff. I mostly went through the motions.

The whole process took about two hours. They told me to set aside 4 hours, but reassured me that the interview was not ending early, that it was just extra time set aside incase it was needed. Which sounds like a really really nice way of saying, we're ending the interview early.

Interview Questions
    • We have individual nodes connecting to and from other nodes. Each node could point to multiple nodes, or from multiple nodes. Generate the data structure to store it all and the function to retrieve a list of all the nodes within x hops from a particular node.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at ZocDoc.

First impression upon arrival was how casual the dress code was. Second impression - the recruiter was late by almost 20 minutes (I had arrived 15 minutes early, so I ended up waiting 35 minutes to meet with the sales recruiter). He then gave me a tour of the facility (including the kitchen, where he mentioned that lunch is catered daily), then left me in an extremely small room with a computer. The interviewer walked in about 5 minutes later with my resume in hand. I noticed throughout the interview that he did not even take the time to read my resume, and was surprised when I mentioned that I am a recent graduate. When it came my turn to ask questions, I asked him where he saw the company going in 10 years. His response: "I have no idea."

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any particularly difficult questions; they were mostly behavioral questions mixed in with "Are you sure you can do this job?"   Answer Question

SOA Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ZocDoc in August 2014.

The hiring process started with a phone interview with an HR rep and shortly resumed in person. After these 2 initial interviews (both straight forward and pleasant), I had an interview with three Sales Directors. My first sales-director interview was a great experience with a nice guy who had conversation/interview skills that allowed for in-depth questioning and responses. The other two sales directors (with whom I interviewed simultaneously) seemed unprofessional and lazy--asking questions without follow ups or any conversational behavior--interacting via scarcely prepared questions and poorly communicated transitions. This made for an incredibly unpleasant experience, where it was difficult to connect with the interviewers in a way that highlighted personal skills and prospective contribution.

Overall it was an O.K. experience with mostly positive interactions. The ZocDoc offices are great and many of the employees seem helpful and friendly.

Interview Questions
    • If, in six months, things didn't work out, why would that be?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ZocDoc in August 2014.

Applied online, through website 2 days later received a phone call which the recruiter asked very basic questions, more of a screening process than anything. Had a phone interview the next day again very basic questions (your goals, sales background etc). After the phone interview went to the company HQ which is located in SoHo, very casual setting no business attire needed. Got interviewed by 2 different managers where they fully explained the sales process and what is expected sales wise for the position. About a week later had last phone interview with GE manager who basically went over same details as previous 2. next day received offer of employment, which I later declined only due to another job offering. overall process took about 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most difficult situation you had in a previous position and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Zocdoc offered decent base salary and commission on sales, but ultimately cold calling wasn't what I really wanted to get into so I declined their offer, if you have the drive and patience who that, than I highly recommend taking the position, it's just not for everyone

Software Engineer Interview

Had a skype interview with a very nice software engineer. The interview lasted about 45 minutes and most of the questions were focused on OOP concepts and data structures. I felt like I did very well answering the questions, and the interviewer said at the end that he would be scheduling another interview for me. About 2 days later, I received a rejection letter without any explanation.

Inside Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at ZocDoc in July 2014.

I was contacted by an in-house recruiter to interview for the inside sales executive position. Although I live in New Jersey, asked me to come in to the NY office for the first round interview. I made the 2 hr drive into the city for the 30 min interview with a "staffing leader", spending money on tolls and parking and gas on the way. A few days later, when I received a rejection email, I contacted the recruiter again to ask what went wrong. He responded unapologetically by saying that only 1% of interviewees are ever advanced. I'd like to know why Zocdoc is so inconsiderate as to make its applicants trek into its city offices while knowing that only 1% will advance to the next round. If you're contacted by a Zocdoc recruiter, ignore him/her. Don't waste your time.

On a side note, after the interview, I was given a tour of the Zocdoc offices. They occupy two floors, the 8th and 9th floors. The 9th floor is where the programmers, HR, and executive staff are. It is pretty wide open with a nice lounge/dining area, although the primary-colored, miniature-sized furnishings like the chairs and tables and couches and stuffed animals reminded me of elementary school. Downstairs on the 8th floor is where the salesforce works. The 8th floor working area is considerably less appealing in terms of furnishing and overall cleanliness. It's cram packed with cubicles and sales reps are basically working elbow to elbow. Sales managers were pacing the floor and leaning over the shoulders of sales reps, eavesdropping on them. The salesforce seemed pretty young, like college aged. Wall monitors showed up to the minute sales figures, highlighting the highest performers by name. Nonetheless, the sales reps did not look "excited"; rather, they seemed sullen and worn down. Besides the somber mood in the sales area, as I was led around, I noticed that the floor carpet is pretty disgusting and looks like it is 100 years old. Definitely not an environment I would want to work in. Seemed more like a sweatshop call center that the owners will outsource to India in a few years once they reach their goal of Zocdoc going from its current "40%" of the market to "100%" of the market.

By the way, the recruiter refused to answer my questions about how many sales reps are meeting quota, whether the company is profitable, and how many customers they currently have, saying that "we don't release that information". That should raise a red flag with you if you are an applicant.

Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at ZocDoc in July 2014.

I applied online and heard from a recruiter the next day. I had a phone interview that lasted about 20 minutes and was more of a friendly conversation with more details about the job description. After that the recruiter set me up with an interview at the office. I met with three different people, two in person and one via skype in NY. Everyone I spoke with was very nice and I felt very comfortable. There weren't really any tricky questions, just more details about my resume and my experiences at past jobs and internships. When I arrived home I received a call a few hours later with an offer.

I think what they're really looking for is great customer service skills, someone who is well articulated, and has a genuine interest in the well being of people.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time you went above and beyond for a customer   Answer Question
    I tried to negotiate but they aren't open to it.

Sales Origination Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at ZocDoc in July 2014.

Took about 3 weeks for the entire process. Was reached out my a recruiter and had 3 interviews. The last two were in-person at the NYC office. I feel like there's a certain mold (clique) that is sought after for this position. They want you to be a cutthroat sales person with no heart (i.e. competitive).

Interview Questions
    • What's the most common misconception about you? Do you love to win or hate to lose?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ZocDoc in July 2014.

recruited through LinkedIN. Then scheduled a phone interview/screening which was very basic. Just questions about my past employment. The recruiter told me more about the position and how to prepare for the on site interview. They're looking for really competitive people hungry for success.
    The onsite interview lasted an hour and I talked to two different team leaders. They asked a lot of behavioral questions and wanted to know what separated me from the pack. I also did two mock calls which required a lot of improvising.

waiting to here back

Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at ZocDoc.

A friend sent my resume to a recruiter and a few days later the recruiter contacted me about scheduling a phone interview. The recruiter was very friendly and enthusiastic, and gave me advice/warning that the people interviewing me are looking for candidates to show excitement. After our phone interview, the recruiter passed me onto a coordinator who helped arrange my in person interview. The coordinator was able to get me into an early morning interview, which was helpful so I would not miss work. I met with two people on the Operations Team. Both were very friendly, however the interviews were odd. They asked overtly formulaic questions. I did not feel like I was having a conversation, but rather dictating my answers to a questionnaire. One of my interviewers rarely made eye contact with me and was simply writing down all of my answers on a print out. Overall they were very friendly but I got a strange read on the company. I was actually relieved when I was not given an offer to work there.

Interview Questions
    • What quality about yourself would you like to improve?   View Answer