ZocDoc Interview Questions

Updated Oct 22, 2014

2.9

SOA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at ZocDoc in May 2014.

Initial communication began with a internal recruiter for a phone interview. Pretty basic questions such as what do you know about ZocDoc? what are you looking for in a work environment? and questions that pertained to my resume.

This was followed with an in-person interview with two different sales recruiters. The interview started off with a tour of the office and a list of the "benefits" of working at ZocDoc. they had a ping pong table (which no one was playing on and is really just to make the office seem like a playful environment). They have free catered lunch every day which is cool. Then I was brought to a room and alot of the same questions from my phone interview. What I knew about ZocDoc, how ZocDoc works, Why I felt I was a good fit for ZocDoc? And I was asked more about my background. The recruiters are nice during the interview ( because they get paid if you make it through). This was then followed with a 3rd interview with the actual sales managers.

The third interview was formal dress. I met with two managers at the same time who both had worked there for under three months. They both came in and acted as if I had been the 100th candidate they interviewed. With minimal introduction that began a rapid fire Q & A session about my background, why im a good candidate and if I had any experience dealing with rejection. They then told me that ZocDoc did a lot of hiring from within and a what position I saw myself in down the road ( Ironic since every manager made it a point to tell me that they were hired from the outside and that they had only been working there for about 3 months). When I asked them what the percentage was for people getting hired from the inside, they both didnt know. They also told me that ZocDoc had a 50% retention rate after 6 months. I then met with a 3rd hiring manager who came in with a completely defeated and unprofessional demeanor. He acted like he was dragged into the office and just wanted to take a nap. He performed a role play simulation for what a phone call would be like in how to "get around" a receptionist (be sure to do a lot of background info on ZocDoc, they want you to know how the services can benefit doctors and talk about how "awesome" ZocDoc is). He then asked me "if we were to meet in this same room in 6 months and it didnt work out, why do you think that would be"? I answered if I were assigned to a territory that had already been given to an older employee or if I was assigned a rural area and expected to meet the same numbers as someone who was assigned a urban area ( which you are btw). I was then escorted out by my initial recruiter.

In conclusion, the interview with the sales managers seemed rushed and somewhat unorganized. They are really just trying to make sure you can handle yourself well under pressure and not panic. BE CAUTIOUS with this company. A lot of negative reviews and there methods for obtaining 100% of the market share are unrealistic. There is definitely a feeling that they are hiding something and dont really care about you or your goals. Read reviews from physicians... there are a plethora of bad reviews talking about how ZocDoc does not deliver what it says and that it is over priced.

Advice to ZocDoc is stop the BS and be more transparent. A "hip office environment" and " free lunch" dont excuse a terrible company culture and an enormous turn-over rate

Interview Questions

extremely low base pay (30K), and benefits dont kick in until after 3 months. Also they made it a point to say they have 50% retention rate after 6 months. Also look closely at every one in the office.... they are not as happy as all the "best place to work reviews" would suggest.

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ZocDoc in May 2014.

I wasn't contacted until almost 3 months after submitting my application, when I was emailed and asked about my availability for a phone screening, which we did the following week. I was immediately asked to send my availability for an in-person interview and scheduled that for early the next week. After being told I would meet with 2 people in fairly quick succession, it ended up being 4 people; two back to back 30 minute interviews, each with 2 people. Everything ran like clockwork. The next day, I was contacted and asked to come in for a final interview with higher ups. Again, I ended up meeting with more people than expected - this time 4 instead of 3, and all individually. A lot of the questions were really repetitive by this point, and the last person I was set to meet ran almost 30 minutes late. I'm not sure why the same thing couldn't have been accomplished by a panel interview.

All in all, the questions weren't difficult. Especially after hearing the same questions a few times, I had my answers down pat. Everyone was very friendly and approachable, the scheduling process was easy, and I really appreciated how communicative everyone was throughout the process. I was never left hanging or wondering what the next step was or whether I was still being considered, and it was refreshing after a year of job searching and oftentimes never hearing anything at all after an interview.

Interview Questions
    • What are three things you disliked about your last position?   Answer Question
    N/A. Starting salary was non negotiable. I only negotiated start date based on leaving my current position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ZocDoc in May 2014.

Lots of technical questions. First at a job fair, then a phone interview, then a 3 hour on-site interview, and finally one last tech question with the CTO. The last hour of my 3 hour on-site interview was behavioral interview with a senior engineer, and I think my answers weren't that confident. I got rejected a day after my interview with the CTO.

Like others said, the office is very cramped. Seems to have a frat-style culture - literally every developer is male. On-site, the first two engineers I met were really nice. The senior engineer and the CTO were rather unfriendly; in particular, the CTO didn't smile at all, and stared at my hand the entire time I was working through his programming question on a whiteboard.

The recruiters are very nice.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too unexpected. It seems like "sort a list based on the order of another list" is a very popular question there.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ZocDoc in May 2014.

Met some great people at a job fair, answered some quick array/hash questions on the spot, gave my resume, & got a call/email next week. Skype Interview scheduled via email. Interviewer was very nice, smiling & polite & we went through a technical question together. Didn't move on, but overall positive experience for my first technical interview.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at ZocDoc.

A recruiter reached out to me for an interview. I hesitated initially but decided to give them a chance. It started with a phone screen and being asked a technical puzzle. I aced that and was brought in for a full day of onsite interviews which led to an offer immediately after the last interview.

Interview Questions
    • Phone screen technical question was probably the most toughest.   Answer Question
    Spent some time pushing hard for the numbers I wanted and was ultimately able to walk away with something I was happy with.

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ZocDoc in May 2014.

Applied online, had a phone screening followed by Skype interview. The phone screen was primarily to ensure some familiarity with the company and then brief resume review. The Skype interview was more toward my current experience, job profile, roles and responsibilities, day to day stuff. Lot of team management questions, how do i manage tough team members, why should we hire you, why u want to change, what u don't like about current job. After these questions, technical questions started. They ranged from Array's to linked list to Btree. Time complexity in various scenarios of these data structures. Case based question was put in. It was interesting experience. If you know Data structures and algorithms, it would be piece of cake.

Interview Questions
    • It's not difficult but How will you reduce time complexity of finding duplicates in linked list? How will you implement a new sorting algorithm which is never written earlier?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter quite a long time after submitting my resume. Had a 15 minute phone call with the recruiter followed by a 30 minute Skype interview with an engineer. The interview questions were basic and expected. The engineer however clearly did not want to be there and acted very disinterested from the start.

Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at ZocDoc.

I emailed them showing interest in zocdoc. After initial rounds of emails interview was setup at their ny office. Standard questions were asked. However, quite a few test questions were asked and if you do not happen to remember those specific things then you will do bad

Inside Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at ZocDoc.

2 interviews. The first was an introduction and tour of the building with a recruiter followed by an interview with a second recruiter. The second interview was with another recruiter followed by two members of the sales team. They went over my resume and experience and asked mostly behavioral questions relating to the job.

Interview Questions
    • Pretend I'm an 18 year old senior in high school looking for a college to attend. Sell me the school you went to.   Answer Question

Inside Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at ZocDoc.

I was contacted through the sales recruiters linkedin account to schedule a phone interview. She asked my availability for the upcoming week and she promptly responded with a corresponding date and time to talk on the phone. We spoke on the arranged date for about fifteen minutes mostly about my past job history and how I could help the company as a sales executive. The interview ended and she said I would be contacted in 24-48 hours on a decision if I was going to be asked to come in for the second round interview. They contacted me two days later saying that they wanted someone with more sales experience.

Interview Questions
    • How would you get past the gatekeeper to arrange a meeting with the head doctor to speak about ZocDoc?   View Answer