ZocDoc

Updated Dec 5, 2014
Updated Dec 5, 2014

2.9

Inside Sales Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ZocDoc in June 2014.

I applied online and 2 weeks later got a call from them. They expected me to do a quick (30 min) phone interview on the spot. From my experience, companies usually will email and schedule this initial interview, not ZocDoc. After that unexpected call, they invited me to the office for an in person interview. The interview was scheduled for 7PM, also a little strange, but whatever. I met with a VP level guy. The first thing he said to me was that he was a doctor. Okay, didn't ask, but thanks. We then spent 20 minutes with him asking me questions. It soon became clear that he thought I was interviewing for a different position. I asked him which position he thought I was applying for, I told him that that was not the correct position. No apology for wasting my time, no apology for not being prepared, not even a quick laugh together over the mistake. He just continued on. At that point there was only another 5 minutes left for the interview, so it was basically over. From the second he walked in he acted like interviewing was a waste of his time. I have never experienced a more arrogant person in my life. After the interview I knew I could never work under someone like that... literally the worst interview experience of my life.

Director of Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ZocDoc in June 2014.

The interview process was pretty straightforward. An initial skype screen with another Director of Engineering. Then there was an in person interview with two senior team members. The first interview was more Q&A with a product/ux focus, the second interview was more detailed system design exercise. Meeting both those team members was great and the exercise that we went through was fun!

I usually have a good read on things and I actually thought the interview went well. Unfortunately there were some "technical concerns" and they decided not to proceed any further.

I don't have any major complaints about the company. They seem like a great bunch, doing quite a lot in a fun environment and I wish them all the best. I did think my first interview could have been handled a little more professionally which has led me to my overall negative rating.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing specific here but be prepared to flex your system design experience and talk through possible scalability issues.   Answer Question

PR/Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at ZocDoc in June 2014.

Fast process, nice people, fun office. The interview was long and each interviewer pretty much asked the same questions so you had to repeat your answers over and over again. Positive interview experience, not too many stumpers, and most people that I have spoken with have generally enjoyed the company culture.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at ZocDoc in June 2014.

First a normal recruiter phone call to go over your resume, then setup a 1:1 on Skype with live C# coding via collabedit (not a real compiler or intellisense but the interviewer can see what you type). The interviewer was nice and friendly. I did not make it past the Skype round. The feedback I received was "I was not tech savvy for the position".

Interview Questions
    • What does bad code mean to you?   Answer Question
    • How would you implement a system that resembles 'tinyurl'? What is the complexity of your approach?   Answer Question
    • How do you keep up with new technology?   Answer Question
    • How do you deal with performance related issues?   Answer Question
    • Given an integer array, write a program that returns an array with elements = product of the integers in input array except the one in its position. Ex: Given input: [2, 3, 10, 4, 5], output: [600, 400, 120, 300, 240]
      What is the complexity of your program? When will your program not work? Below is what I presented (O(n)), but it did not qualify me for the next round.

View Answers (3)

Sales Origination Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ZocDoc in June 2014.

Spoke initially with a recruiter, then a phone interview with an account manager, then a Skype interview with the Sales Executive. All three were rather impersonal- they basically asked questions off a list and jotted down my answers.

Business Origination Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ZocDoc.

Recruiter called me to go over the position and find out basics of my sales experience.Scheduled a video interview later that week. After missing that appointment, we rescheduled for the week after, which he missed as well. When we connected via Skype, he repeated the company spiel and stumbled around his list of questions. There is one week of training provided. Recruiter strongly suggested I "just visit" NY to get to know the company more. Base salary of 30k+ commission. "Goal" is 50k, but they expect you will be promoted before you ever reach that.
    Personally, the Glassdoor reviews and my experience with recruiter were enough to dismiss the company for more appealing entry level sales positions.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are not difficult, but determine fit for their company.
      - Rank these in order of importance: Making money, company growth, interacting with clients, and having a challenging workplace.
      - Have you had experience working with difficult people?

Answer Question

The reviews on Glassdoor

Director Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ZocDoc.

Interview entailed a mock scenario to pitch ZocDoc to prospective client. Good interview model for demonstrating abilities and commitment to researching organizations. Substantial time commitment to do a good job is needed and they will ask for (repeatedly) and keep the presentation (i.e., free consulting work).

Sales and Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ZocDoc.

Applied online, had a phone screen, followed by Skype interview, and then in-office interview with 4 team members. The phone screen was primarily to ensure some familiarity with the company and then brief resume review. The Skype interview was oriented toward interest in the role, prior experience, and thinking through potential new opportunities for ZocDoc. The in person interviews had a case element to them - walking through the types of questions people on the team might face, but not a traditional consulting case. In person questions also focused on traditional questions around prior experiences.

SOA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at ZocDoc in May 2014.

Initial communication began with a internal recruiter for a phone interview. Pretty basic questions such as what do you know about ZocDoc? what are you looking for in a work environment? and questions that pertained to my resume.

This was followed with an in-person interview with two different sales recruiters. The interview started off with a tour of the office and a list of the "benefits" of working at ZocDoc. they had a ping pong table (which no one was playing on and is really just to make the office seem like a playful environment). They have free catered lunch every day which is cool. Then I was brought to a room and alot of the same questions from my phone interview. What I knew about ZocDoc, how ZocDoc works, Why I felt I was a good fit for ZocDoc? And I was asked more about my background. The recruiters are nice during the interview ( because they get paid if you make it through). This was then followed with a 3rd interview with the actual sales managers.

The third interview was formal dress. I met with two managers at the same time who both had worked there for under three months. They both came in and acted as if I had been the 100th candidate they interviewed. With minimal introduction that began a rapid fire Q & A session about my background, why im a good candidate and if I had any experience dealing with rejection. They then told me that ZocDoc did a lot of hiring from within and a what position I saw myself in down the road ( Ironic since every manager made it a point to tell me that they were hired from the outside and that they had only been working there for about 3 months). When I asked them what the percentage was for people getting hired from the inside, they both didnt know. They also told me that ZocDoc had a 50% retention rate after 6 months. I then met with a 3rd hiring manager who came in with a completely defeated and unprofessional demeanor. He acted like he was dragged into the office and just wanted to take a nap. He performed a role play simulation for what a phone call would be like in how to "get around" a receptionist (be sure to do a lot of background info on ZocDoc, they want you to know how the services can benefit doctors and talk about how "awesome" ZocDoc is). He then asked me "if we were to meet in this same room in 6 months and it didnt work out, why do you think that would be"? I answered if I were assigned to a territory that had already been given to an older employee or if I was assigned a rural area and expected to meet the same numbers as someone who was assigned a urban area ( which you are btw). I was then escorted out by my initial recruiter.

In conclusion, the interview with the sales managers seemed rushed and somewhat unorganized. They are really just trying to make sure you can handle yourself well under pressure and not panic. BE CAUTIOUS with this company. A lot of negative reviews and there methods for obtaining 100% of the market share are unrealistic. There is definitely a feeling that they are hiding something and dont really care about you or your goals. Read reviews from physicians... there are a plethora of bad reviews talking about how ZocDoc does not deliver what it says and that it is over priced.

Advice to ZocDoc is stop the BS and be more transparent. A "hip office environment" and " free lunch" dont excuse a terrible company culture and an enormous turn-over rate

Interview Questions

extremely low base pay (30K), and benefits dont kick in until after 3 months. Also they made it a point to say they have 50% retention rate after 6 months. Also look closely at every one in the office.... they are not as happy as all the "best place to work reviews" would suggest.

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ZocDoc in May 2014.

I wasn't contacted until almost 3 months after submitting my application, when I was emailed and asked about my availability for a phone screening, which we did the following week. I was immediately asked to send my availability for an in-person interview and scheduled that for early the next week. After being told I would meet with 2 people in fairly quick succession, it ended up being 4 people; two back to back 30 minute interviews, each with 2 people. Everything ran like clockwork. The next day, I was contacted and asked to come in for a final interview with higher ups. Again, I ended up meeting with more people than expected - this time 4 instead of 3, and all individually. A lot of the questions were really repetitive by this point, and the last person I was set to meet ran almost 30 minutes late. I'm not sure why the same thing couldn't have been accomplished by a panel interview.

All in all, the questions weren't difficult. Especially after hearing the same questions a few times, I had my answers down pat. Everyone was very friendly and approachable, the scheduling process was easy, and I really appreciated how communicative everyone was throughout the process. I was never left hanging or wondering what the next step was or whether I was still being considered, and it was refreshing after a year of job searching and oftentimes never hearing anything at all after an interview.

Interview Questions
    • What are three things you disliked about your last position?   Answer Question
    N/A. Starting salary was non negotiable. I only negotiated start date based on leaving my current position.