ZocDoc Interview Questions

Updated Mar 27, 2015

2.8

Inside Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at ZocDoc in October 2014.

First interview was over the phone, second interview is in person,
    Third interview you meet with two people,
    Fourth interview you meet with two people
    Fifth Interview you meet with one person.
    They all ask you the same questions ;
    They try to execute a good cop bad cop routine It ends up feeling like good cop good cop routine.
    Be yourself if you are a happy person;
    Ofcourse being professional

Interview Questions
    • Pitch me like you would at your previous position. They will hit you with objections   View Answer
    Everyone has a set salary and the benefits and pay are great, there was no need for negotiating

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at ZocDoc.

I applied online via their website. A recruiter emailed me a few days later and we set up a phone interview for the next day. It was a short (probably 10-15 minutes) interview where he asked me a few questions about my background and then spent the rest of the call talking about how much he loves ZocDoc. It felt like he was trying to sell the company to me. We set up a Skype interview for the next week.

A software engineer ended up calling me and said that their Skype account was not working. He asked me some personal questions and then he shared a document with me and asked me to write a program to detect a palindrome. He was very nice but seemed to mumble a bit - it was hard to hear him.

45 minutes later, he left the phone and another person came to interview me (I believe he was some sort of manager). He was very nice again but asked a trickier question about detecting subsequences with the largest sum. I stumbled a bit (I'd like to chalk it up to it being my first interview, but who knows?) and he started to seem a bit disinterested.

All in all it was an okay process. I wasn't expecting a call back and got an email a few days later saying they would not like to pursue anything.

Operations Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at ZocDoc.

I was contacted by a recruiter on Linked In, had a 30 minute phone "interview" that consisted of him selling the company to me. I was emailed and told to be at the office for an interview without confirming if the time worked for me. The office appeared to be an industrial call center. I met with 3 very young employees at different times. Each asked the same questions. I then waited with no contact or instructions for 35 minutes. During this time I noticed that the noise level was very loud. I determined that should I receive an offer I would decline as this as not an environment in which I wanted to work. Finally the first interviewer returned with her entire demeanor completely changed. It was obvious that I was not going to receive an offer by her cool attitude.

Interview Questions
    • What is the best gift I have ever given someone.   View Answer

Communication Coordinator Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at ZocDoc.

Referred by an employee. Recruiter reached out via email for a phone interview. Seemed like it was going well; I was asked basic questions about my background and interests in ZocDoc and my future career in general. Only downside was I was not given the chance to ask the questions I wanted to, as is standard in a professional interview - at least that's what I thought?

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ZocDoc in September 2014.

I was actively looking for jobs in New York City with a few pending onsite interviews, so the interview process in ZocDoc was very fast. Since I was not based in New York, the interview process was a bit different.

Summary:
    First round: two rounds of Skype interviews(back to back, 45 minutes each)
    Second round: two rounds of Skype interviews(back to back, 60 minutes each)
    Final round: two round of onsite interviews(back to bck, 60 minutes each)

Keyword: frontend, undergraduate, entry/junior, online shared coding, Skype with webcam

Overall, all the interviewer are nice and easy going. Questions are average difficulty, so most of them you can start with brute force and work upon it from there.

!!!!!!Try to give the time complicity and space complexity in each of your solutions.!!!!

These are the steps you may expected from the interview:
    1. All interviews started with a introduction to the company and the interviewer.
    2. The common question after is tell me about yourself (keep it 99% technical is my advice).
    3. A easy tech question following just to get your feet wet.
    4. Some follow up to test you understand of basic ds/algorithm knowledge.
    5. A link of online coding web app will be send over Skype.
    6. Coding time. (please express you thinking process along the way. After finishing the code, demonstrate one more time from the beginning and eye-ball your bugs.)

Detail:
    First Round: Questions are related to algorithm/data structure.For a company like ZocDoc, you should have a deep understanding of the BASIC ds/algo. Study hash table and understand what is happening behind. Tips: try to sneak in some ds/algo comparison while you are making choices between them to show off you understanding of the basics). In the first interview, I was honest to tell the interviewer I have done a similar question the others day. He appreciated my honesty and gave me another coding question.

Second Round: I got the email to move toward soon after. Both interviews started with questions related to very basic OOP JavaScript(you better know it if you are interviewing a frontend developer position). I had a onsite training in my current company using online course-ware. All concepts behind the questions are covered in the training. ds/algo concepts were tested along the way. The first interview ended with coding a algorithm question. A terribly hard question was asked at the very end, but it turned out that the interviewer just wanted to discuss the problem with me.(Prob I had finished all the questions). The second interview ended with a little OOP design in JavaScript. I was not familiar with the concept(not a tricky one/I should have known it), so it took a looooooog time for the interview to explained. The explanation took about like 20 minutes, while the coding took about 5 minutes. After the basic design was done, he asked me what features might be added? I gave him two answers using the concepts of MV* and RESTFUL. I did not think I could move on, since I thought i kinda failed the very hard question at the end of the first interview. And it took too much time for the second interviewer to explain the concept to me at the second interview.

Third Round: I was quite surprised when I got the onsite interview soon after the second one. Everything are paid by ZocDoc(flight, taxi, meal...) . The first interview was meant to be a design round. But after I demonstrated all the needed classes/properties/methods, the question came to a ds/algo related validation question involved in the design problem. I wrote limited lines of code on the write board, but the interviewer said expressing my thinking process clearly was much more important. Second interview was with CTO. Start with common introduction of the company and himself, followed with "tell me a bit about yourself". A easy math question was ask to get the coding started. The actually coding question are related to probability/ds/algo. I started with a brute force solution. He asked me is there is any better one. The interview ended with a fairly general discussion. Why you are looking for a new job. Why ZocDoc? After the interview, he asked me if anyone had shown me the dev part of the company. I said I had a generally tour. Then he got someone along the way to give a me a tour of the dev part.

Sooner after I got the offer.

At the very end, I want to express my BIG thank you for GlassDoor for helping me along the way. All the reviews have been really helpful.

Interview Questions
    • a deep discussion of hash table optimazation   View Answer
    The offer was decent, so I did not try to negotiate. Plus my base salary with my current employee was fair low. So i was happy with the package.

Operations Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ZocDoc.

Submitted my application online and was contacted for a phone interview. For the first interview the recruiter was 30 minutes late before I received an email that he as in a meeting and needed to reschedule. Two days later the phone interview lasted only 10-15 minutes. We got disconnected on his side. It was clear he never read my cover letter because he asked me 3 or 4 times if I had ever used zocdoc before. He apologized a few times for drinking too much coffee since he was talking quite fast. All in all it was pleasant, but seemed like he didn't have the time (didn't ever read my resume or cover letter prior to the call) and didn't listen to my answers. The whole interview was about how great ZocDoc was and not if I was a good fit. Still like the service, but not impressed with their recruiters.

Interview Questions
    • None. I was expecting tell me about yourself or describe a difficult situation you found yourself in, but none. He really did most of the talking and then would say, does that sound ok or something you would be interested in?   Answer Question

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

I was first contacted via phone for an initial screening. They were extremely quick in communicating the next steps and moving me on to the next round for an in person interview. You are brought to a small room, and wait for your first interview. I had a total of 4 interviews and they all asked very similar questions. Before the interview even begins, they ask YOU to ask them any questions.

Operations Associate - Phoenix Office Opening Interview

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at ZocDoc.

The recruiter I worked with in New York was AMAZING, however the Director in Phoenix kind of dropped the ball a little bit in letting me down after I spent almost 2 hours talking to 4 different people. He initially stated that he would let me know first thing on Monday of the hiring decision, however Monday came and went and I didn't hear anything (I thought I was a perfect fit and then heard nothing). I didn't even end up hearing from them until I left the Director a VM and he didn't have the courtesy to call me back, rather he sent me a generic "we will not be hiring you e-mail" and I am honestly not sure what I could have done differently or better.

Be prepared to interview with people from the NY office via camera. This was something new that I have never done before in an interview.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where you went above and beyond the call of duty to assist a customer?   Answer Question

Sales Origination Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ZocDoc.

Applied on college job board, heard from a recruiter the following day. Very nice guy, had informative conversation about myself and role at ZocDoc. Next round was in person (or skype) with the recruiting manager. The final round was meeting with two inside sales managers.

Interview Questions
    • No real trick questions, pretty straight forward interview.   Answer Question
    No negotiation for salary for this position available.

Sales Origination Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at ZocDoc.

First impression upon arrival was how casual the dress code was. Second impression - the recruiter was late by almost 20 minutes (I had arrived 15 minutes early, so I ended up waiting 35 minutes to meet with the sales recruiter). He then gave me a tour of the facility (including the kitchen, where he mentioned that lunch is catered daily), then left me in an extremely small room with a computer. The interviewer walked in about 5 minutes later with my resume in hand. I noticed throughout the interview that he did not even take the time to read my resume, and was surprised when I mentioned that I am a recent graduate. When it came my turn to ask questions, I asked him where he saw the company going in 10 years. His response: "I have no idea."

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any particularly difficult questions; they were mostly behavioral questions mixed in with "Are you sure you can do this job?"   Answer Question