ZocDoc

Updated Nov 16, 2014

3.4

29 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at ZocDoc.

Contacted by recruiter. Nice guy. Asks me some questions about my background, we chat for a bit. Told I would be contacted via email to set up a Skype interview. Skype interview is scheduled for 1.5 hours, interviewer shows up late, seems disinterested the whole time as we talk. Asks one question, stops interview after 40 mins. Never gives any feedback. About a week later I get an email saying I would not be moving forward with the process.

Essentially, it seemed as though the person I interviewed with had already decided before the interview started that I would not be getting the position.

Other Interview Reviews for ZocDoc

Software Engineering Interview

Approached the tech recruiters at a tech recruitment event. Was given two technical questions on the spot. The questions were regard algorithms and data structures. I was given about 10 minutes for both questions.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked to remember an algorithm that was not quite popular.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I contacted a recruiter on linkedin (I actually came to know about him via a friend) and they quickly scheduled a skype interview.

They told me that the interview will be for 2 hrs, but they can be flexible in scheduling the interview after regular business hours (like around 5:30). So I scheduled and interview with them.

I haven't heard back from them, so I don't know if they're going to call me for further rounds or not.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me just one question during the interview which was as follows: Given an array such as [6, 2, 3, 6, 3, 7] return the output as [6, 2, 3, 7] (essentially preserve the order and duplicate elements should not be repeated). After several question ans the interviewer told me what exactly he's looking for in the output.

It was a straight forward question which i was able to sold under an hour and then the interview was completed. I was hoping that someone else might call me for the next hour (since I was told 2 hour skype rounds), but nothing.
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at ZocDoc in October 2014.

I applied online. They got back to me the same day to schedule a phone interview. I had one Skype interview followed by an on-site visit which consisted of four different interviews. Then I had one more Skype interview because the CTO wasn't in the office on the day of my visit.

Interview Questions
    • This wasn't incredibly difficult, but one guy asked me to design Facebook (at a high level) and another asked me to design Twitter. I thought these were really cool questions because they tested overall design smarts instead of obscure algorithmic stuff.   View Answers (4)

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at ZocDoc.

I applied online via their website. A recruiter emailed me a few days later and we set up a phone interview for the next day. It was a short (probably 10-15 minutes) interview where he asked me a few questions about my background and then spent the rest of the call talking about how much he loves ZocDoc. It felt like he was trying to sell the company to me. We set up a Skype interview for the next week.

A software engineer ended up calling me and said that their Skype account was not working. He asked me some personal questions and then he shared a document with me and asked me to write a program to detect a palindrome. He was very nice but seemed to mumble a bit - it was hard to hear him.

45 minutes later, he left the phone and another person came to interview me (I believe he was some sort of manager). He was very nice again but asked a trickier question about detecting subsequences with the largest sum. I stumbled a bit (I'd like to chalk it up to it being my first interview, but who knows?) and he started to seem a bit disinterested.

All in all it was an okay process. I wasn't expecting a call back and got an email a few days later saying they would not like to pursue anything.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ZocDoc in September 2014.

I was actively looking for jobs in New York City with a few pending onsite interviews, so the interview process in ZocDoc was very fast. Since I was not based in New York, the interview process was a bit different.

Summary:
    First round: two rounds of Skype interviews(back to back, 45 minutes each)
    Second round: two rounds of Skype interviews(back to back, 60 minutes each)
    Final round: two round of onsite interviews(back to bck, 60 minutes each)

Keyword: frontend, undergraduate, entry/junior, online shared coding, Skype with webcam

Overall, all the interviewer are nice and easy going. Questions are average difficulty, so most of them you can start with brute force and work upon it from there.

!!!!!!Try to give the time complicity and space complexity in each of your solutions.!!!!

These are the steps you may expected from the interview:
    1. All interviews started with a introduction to the company and the interviewer.
    2. The common question after is tell me about yourself (keep it 99% technical is my advice).
    3. A easy tech question following just to get your feet wet.
    4. Some follow up to test you understand of basic ds/algorithm knowledge.
    5. A link of online coding web app will be send over Skype.
    6. Coding time. (please express you thinking process along the way. After finishing the code, demonstrate one more time from the beginning and eye-ball your bugs.)

Detail:
    First Round: Questions are related to algorithm/data structure.For a company like ZocDoc, you should have a deep understanding of the BASIC ds/algo. Study hash table and understand what is happening behind. Tips: try to sneak in some ds/algo comparison while you are making choices between them to show off you understanding of the basics). In the first interview, I was honest to tell the interviewer I have done a similar question the others day. He appreciated my honesty and gave me another coding question.

Second Round: I got the email to move toward soon after. Both interviews started with questions related to very basic OOP JavaScript(you better know it if you are interviewing a frontend developer position). I had a onsite training in my current company using online course-ware. All concepts behind the questions are covered in the training. ds/algo concepts were tested along the way. The first interview ended with coding a algorithm question. A terribly hard question was asked at the very end, but it turned out that the interviewer just wanted to discuss the problem with me.(Prob I had finished all the questions). The second interview ended with a little OOP design in JavaScript. I was not familiar with the concept(not a tricky one/I should have known it), so it took a looooooog time for the interview to explained. The explanation took about like 20 minutes, while the coding took about 5 minutes. After the basic design was done, he asked me what features might be added? I gave him two answers using the concepts of MV* and RESTFUL. I did not think I could move on, since I thought i kinda failed the very hard question at the end of the first interview. And it took too much time for the second interviewer to explain the concept to me at the second interview.

Third Round: I was quite surprised when I got the onsite interview soon after the second one. Everything are paid by ZocDoc(flight, taxi, meal...) . The first interview was meant to be a design round. But after I demonstrated all the needed classes/properties/methods, the question came to a ds/algo related validation question involved in the design problem. I wrote limited lines of code on the write board, but the interviewer said expressing my thinking process clearly was much more important. Second interview was with CTO. Start with common introduction of the company and himself, followed with "tell me a bit about yourself". A easy math question was ask to get the coding started. The actually coding question are related to probability/ds/algo. I started with a brute force solution. He asked me is there is any better one. The interview ended with a fairly general discussion. Why you are looking for a new job. Why ZocDoc? After the interview, he asked me if anyone had shown me the dev part of the company. I said I had a generally tour. Then he got someone along the way to give a me a tour of the dev part.

Sooner after I got the offer.

At the very end, I want to express my BIG thank you for GlassDoor for helping me along the way. All the reviews have been really helpful.

Interview Questions
    • a deep discussion of hash table optimazation   View Answer
    The offer was decent, so I did not try to negotiate. Plus my base salary with my current employee was fair low. So i was happy with the package.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ZocDoc.

Contacted by an external recruiter and given a phone screen on skype a few days later. The phone screen was highly technical and I was asked to write code in a shared document. The questions were of average difficulty. I thought I did okay, not great, just okay.

I got an in person interview for the following week. Their office is straight out of a children's fantasy book. Once you walk through that door, you're through the looking-glass. Very colorful, lots of stuff everywhere. Honestly, it made me uncomfortable.

The office is two floors and massive, though it has unique ways of feeling small. Tiny offices in some spaces, tons of people, small small bathrooms. There was a "play room" which is a creepy thing to call it when the place feels a bit like a child's dream to begin with, but anyway it was a poor excuse for a break room. It's like they just had a couch and a tv and an arcade machine because it's the startup thing to do.

I was brought into a (very) tiny room for my interview. There were probably half a dozen around it, just like it. The first question asked was essentially asking for a recursive algorithm. Basically assuming you have nodes which point to and from different nodes (multiples, sometimes), retrieve all the nodes within x steps. This is a frustrating question unless you're comfortable and in a good environment. On my own, I'll solve this problem just fine.

I was given a few sharpies which had frayed tips and low ink. The whiteboard was an abrasive wall painted white, so writing on it was awkward. It resulted in very very messy writing. That combined with my imperfect performance...it was all pretty hideous and horrible to me. It worked, but it was just brutal.

They asked running time, which was so hard to calculate when I could hardly even read my own code.

For what it's worth, the gentleman who interviewed me seemed SUPER high on ZocDoc,, like indoctrination scary... be careful what you say, you might get someone who really only wants to hire a "Zoc Star".

The next gentleman was a bit better and he asked me design questions. Way friendlier, way more reassuring. Still this all felt like a waste of time, trivial simple design stuff. I mostly went through the motions.

The whole process took about two hours. They told me to set aside 4 hours, but reassured me that the interview was not ending early, that it was just extra time set aside incase it was needed. Which sounds like a really really nice way of saying, we're ending the interview early.

Interview Questions
    • We have individual nodes connecting to and from other nodes. Each node could point to multiple nodes, or from multiple nodes. Generate the data structure to store it all and the function to retrieve a list of all the nodes within x hops from a particular node.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Had a skype interview with a very nice software engineer. The interview lasted about 45 minutes and most of the questions were focused on OOP concepts and data structures. I felt like I did very well answering the questions, and the interviewer said at the end that he would be scheduling another interview for me. About 2 days later, I received a rejection letter without any explanation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ZocDoc in May 2014.

Met some great people at a job fair, answered some quick array/hash questions on the spot, gave my resume, & got a call/email next week. Skype Interview scheduled via email. Interviewer was very nice, smiling & polite & we went through a technical question together. Didn't move on, but overall positive experience for my first technical interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ZocDoc in May 2014.

Lots of technical questions. First at a job fair, then a phone interview, then a 3 hour on-site interview, and finally one last tech question with the CTO. The last hour of my 3 hour on-site interview was behavioral interview with a senior engineer, and I think my answers weren't that confident. I got rejected a day after my interview with the CTO.

Like others said, the office is very cramped. Seems to have a frat-style culture - literally every developer is male. On-site, the first two engineers I met were really nice. The senior engineer and the CTO were rather unfriendly; in particular, the CTO didn't smile at all, and stared at my hand the entire time I was working through his programming question on a whiteboard.

The recruiters are very nice.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too unexpected. It seems like "sort a list based on the order of another list" is a very popular question there.   Answer Question