Zones

Getting the Interview

25 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Vice President of IT Interview

I applied through other source and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Zones.

Interview Details – The Zones leadership is unclear on what they are looking for....it was a 3 month/12 week process!! Really? It starts with a HR screen, then a bunch of VP phone screens, then VP on-site interviews and then finally a series of a full-day of SVP interviews including the CEO interview.

The CEO does not like consultants--can you believe that? Unsure what he is after...good luck :)!!

Interview Question – The CEO does not like consultants--make sure you have been a non-consultant !!   View Answer

Account Executive

I applied online and interviewed at Zones.

Interview Details – Nice people, show in interview that you have a passion for IT and sales and your golden.

Interview Question – How to sell a pen?   Answer Question

Portland, OR

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Zones in January 2013.

Interview Details – First met with a recruiter at a College Career, following day recruiters did personal interviews with collegiate candidates. If selected recruiters asked you to completed an online application, which was emailed. Group of about 12 visited office location to see office environment, conduct a personal interview with a manager as well as three-typed essay questions regarding sales, business skills, an example regarding a difficult situation which you showed adversity. Upon successful completion of the in-person interview, met with the recruiter one last time, and was informed would be notified by phone if position was offered or not.

Interview Question – Why should we invest in training you, when we could swayed someone to come over from one of our competitors to make us more money?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The manager whom I did my one-on-one interview with in the Portland office, looked at my resume which detailed most of my work experience centering around my time served in the military and said: "So you've never had a real job."

Was literally speechless for a few seconds, especially after doing multiple tours overseas.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Auburn, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Zones in December 2011.

Interview Details – I was recruited on campus by a college recruiter. I had a phone interview and then 1 in person interview

Interview Question – Can't really remember. Most questions were behavioral (give me an example of when...)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You had about 5 days to tell them if you accepted the offer

Very Easy Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Zones.

Interview Details – The process for me was very simple and quick. This is probably because they run through AE's faster than Roy Hibbert can drink a Gatorade. Anyways, I had a phone interview (45 minutes) and then an in person interview (1 hour). The phone interview was with HR and the in person was with a sales manager. Both were pretty easy and very similar. Questions include: Why sales? Why IT? Why Zones? What is your biggest weakness? Etc. Very easy and unless you have the intelligence of a donkey then you will get the job. Oh, and no drug test.

Interview Question – How do you manage adversity? What is the biggest challenge you have had to overcome and how did you do it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Base salary is $32,500 and then you get bonus and commission. However, earning commission (which will determine how much bonus you get, and this is usually none) is very difficult. The IT market is over saturated which forces you to sell products at next to zero margin. For example, I sold 10K worth of hardware and earned $3 in commission from it based on the incredibly low margin I had to take in order to win the deal.

Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Zones in February 2013.

Interview Details – Recruiting seemed desperate to get the new office filled, and somewhat unprofessional. I had an interview at the career fair, I felt like they did most of the talking. Some of the questions asked were about the company - do you know how we are? Don't try researching the company too much because their private and don't release a lot of info, but you can find some info on their FB, Twitter, or LinkedIn page. Also, I was asked 'why IT sales? why sales?'. It's pretty basic and relaxed. I think they are doing this over the phone now for people who aren't hired through a career fair.

If you get past round one, they then ask you to complete an application and a personality test online (if you haven't already done so).

The next step was to have and interview at the Chicago office. There was about 10 other people there, and they gave us a presentation on the company and the job. After that they had us break off and interview with different managers. The interview was pretty relaxed, they want to get to know you personally, figure out why you would be a good fit for the company. Don't be ashamed if you didn't understand their question, ask them "what do you mean by that?" They want to see if you can answer difficult questions, because that's sales. Be able to communicate what you mean clearly, ask questions if you don't understand, build relationships, and be confident.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 3 years, 5 years, 10 years+?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. Everyone starts at a base salary of $32,500 with a commission structure of 10% off the margin. Apparently this makes fair for everyone…

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Business Systems Analyst

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Zones in November 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by technical recruiter via email. Phone screen was schedule 2 days later, after the phone screen I received a phone interview with the hiring manager. I was invited onsite for an in-person interview. There were a total of four interviewers first being the hiring manager (to prepare you for the following peer interviewers).

The peer interview was very different than I expected, there were no behavioral questions and they attempted to make it a conversation.

Interview Question – They asked specific questions regarding Agile processes.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Zones.

Interview Details – Recruiter recruits heavily at college events. Will reach out to all applicants. They interview based on personality. They leave you in a room with current employees to get a feel for you. They want to you be outgoing and communicative. It's a sale job so expect to sale yourself. After trying to convince you and a room of other applicants on why Zones, then you move on to interview with a sales manager. You are rated on a scale of 1-5. Based on some personality test you take. They want to know that you are flexible to deal with the unorganized organization. They are looking to see if you are willing and able to make 50+ dials a day cold calling.

Interview Question – NONE. Very typical and expected   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They typical offer everyone 32,500 but will negotiate to 35,000. Always negotiate.

E-Commerce Integration Specialist Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Zones in September 2013.

Interview Details – received an initial pre-screen phone call, followed by another call to tentatively set up an in person interview. The expectation was set that the interview date/time would be confirmed via Email. This didn't happen until the morning of the interview.

Was given a tour of the facility and then waited about 10 minutes to be interview by two people.

Interview Question – Nothing too out of the ordinary, Just be prepared and it should go smooth.   Answer Question

Enterprise Account Executive Interview

Enterprise Account Executive
Orange, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Zones in January 2012.

Interview Details – Called hiring manager. negotiated salary. Wanted to hire me as I worked at PC mall for 10 years in a similar position

Interview Question – Wanted customers that verified my sales and other information   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Good. Wanted W2

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Zones? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Zones interview questions and advice. All 25 interview reviews posted anonymously by Zones employees and interview candidates.