Zoosk

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior UI Designer Interview

Senior UI Designer
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Zoosk in November 2013.

Interview Details – It was fast and quick, they gave a hiring bonus and it went smooth. Very professional recruiting team in general. I liked the people I met and felt it was gonna work out great.

Interview Question – How do you feel about working for a tech company as opposed to advertising.   Answer Question

Chief JavaScript Architect Interview

Chief JavaScript Architect
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Zoosk in May 2014.

Interview Details – This role has been open for eight weeks in downtown SF just up the street from Twitter for a reason. I successfully interviewed at and was hired by Google. Please keep that in mind as you read. My title at Google? Application Architect. So...with all of that in mind...

They either forgot I was being interviewed for an architect role or didn't know how to interview an architect. I was not asked a single question related to the problem domain of software architecture at all.

I was not asked to demonstrate the ability to produce a data flow diagram, software component architecture diagram or anything resembling a verification of an architect's communication skills. I was not asked how to choose and/or scale a database, when/when not to leverage a cache, when to use a particular protocol, language or persistent storage strategy or anything even remotely related to software architecture. Describe the difference between a persistent and non-persistent connection and why you might choose one or the other? Didn't happen.

There was zero discussion of software design patterns, best practices, security, payment card industry compliance, internationalization, development environment tools and configuration, change management, deployment strategies, infrastructure capacity monitoring and planning, high-availability options and strategies, geodiversification of data centers, [unit, end-to-end or load] test tools and/or how to keep all of that in sync and up-to-date using NPM (when it's down) (...again). That, apparently, will not be an "architect's" responsibility at Zoosk. No idea who's worrying about all of that at Zoosk, I do hope someone is, but it's certainly not this role's responsibility if this interview meant anything at all.

I wasn't asked to describe the technical merit of an existing framework or any frameworks (plural) that I'd built in the past. None of them had seen my website OR my github projects. After seeing them, they were very impressed. But, you know, honestly? Who cares if the ARCHITECT can build a SITE or not, right? No sense having a look at any of that crap before deciding to fly me out there.

This role was created for guiding Zoosk's port from LAMP to the MEAN stack. There were no probes into Node.js's internals such as how it implements everything on a single thread. No one seemed interested in a discussion about how the single-threaded Node.js async model can scale better than using threads and/or forked processes, or when the model causes nothing but problems.

I also wasn't asked how I commonly deal with MongoDB's global write lock, or how I'd go about creating a high-availability MongoDB deployment with replica sets or achieve horizontal scalability through shards. I wasn't asked about how MongoDB's aggregation framework recently lost its 16MB limit and what that might mean, or how Mongo can now emit aggregations directly into new collections.

No discussion was had about load balancing or what sort of concerns that imposes on session manager, or the ways in which a developer might need to communicate with an IT Professional about a load balancing strategy. We had no discussions on how to build a real-time chat system without polling or what kind of browser features would be required to use a persistent connection for said system.

I was, however, asked programming trivia questions in three rounds talking with three total people. I answered all of them except for the last question asked by the last person in the final round. After an entire day of no architectural discussions, I was asked to implement a routine to find the longest rule-based numeric adjacency list in a 2D matrix of numbers in JavaScript with five minutes left in the interview round.

So, yes - after three hours of this - I capped my marker, set it down on the ledge and said, "If this is what you expect an architect to be doing, you're talking to the wrong person. Thank you for the opportunity, but please find someone else." This was after being told in the phone screen by my potential future manager, "If you're writing a bunch of math and algorithm implementations here, [we'd] consider it a serious waste of your time. We need you evaluating new frameworks, finding their value and integrating them into the platform."

I only wanted to improve people's lives and was 100% honest with every person I talked to throughout this entire process. Answered everything except the last question that got asked with five minutes left in the day because, by that point, I'd heard all I needed to hear. Didn't wait for an offer or whatever, this was an on-the-spot, "Thanks, but I'm not a good fit. Please talk to other people."

Interview Question – None were difficult; all were completely unexpected as an architect.   Answer Question

Senior User Experience Researcher Interview

Senior User Experience Researcher

I applied online and interviewed at Zoosk.

Interview Details – Was contacted for a phone interview and it was scheduled really fast. The job as it was described to me what not what I thought it would be.

Interview Question – They asked how I would solve a problem they were having with their product.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Zoosk.

Interview Details – negative experience. the company seemed unorganized. the questions the interviewer asked in the first five minutes gave the impression that he had not read my resume whatsoever. he later confided to me that that was his first time interviewing -- and it showed. they told me to prepare for a 'case interview,' but what they actually meant by case were two extremely technical mathematical questions that required only a right answer. Given that the interview was over the phone, I thought this approach was odd. I tried to show my thought process while answering their questions, but they really where interested only in the right answer.

Interview Question – The first question was: "a company pays a marketing agency $5 per lead and gets $100 dollars each time a lead converts into a purchasing costumer. What is the conversion rate necessary for the company to break even?," and the second was ""a firm receives two cost structures from a marketing agency, one in which they pay $1 per thousand impressions and another in which they pay $1 per click. What should be the click-through-rate to justify the first structure?"   Answer Question

Marketing Analyst Interview

Marketing Analyst
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Zoosk in October 2013.

Interview Details – Pretty normal process, but position is an analytics/BI role versus "marketing". Initial phone interview with hiring mgr, then invited back a week later for an in person interview with hiring mgr, marketing director, VP marketing. Interview was a mix of casual questions and problem solving and quant tests. Process was about a few hours.

Interview Question – tests provided was calculation of email marketing metrics such as subscription costs, conversion rates, cost of acquisition, channel costs and effectiveness of channel makeup by geographic region.   View Answer

Data Analyst Interview

Data Analyst
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Zoosk in September 2013.

Interview Details – Contacted by the recruiter for an initial phone interview with the hiring manager. Very brief and straightforward, all behavioral questions. And then invited to the on-site interview. It was very unprofessional and chaotic. All the interviewers were unprepared and in a rush. One of the interviewers even took a phone call during the interview. They were not that into what you were saying, your background and experiences unless you talked about solving specific problems for their companies. There were 3 interviews in total. One of them was technical regarding SQL and Excel skills. The other two were basically cultural fit and discussions about what kind of analysis to work on.

Interview Question – Nothing really difficult. Just be prepared for SQL and excel and be familiar with the job description in order to discuss possible analysis projects.   Answer Question

Director of International Marketing Interview

Director of International Marketing
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Zoosk in August 2013.

Interview Details – 1. Contacted by HR over 2 months after initial application submitted
2. Phone interviews with hiring manager & one other marketing team member
3. On-site interview with hiring manager & two other marketing team members

Skill-based cases/questions were asked in all of the phone & on-site interviews as the role emphasized analytical acumen. They included questions related to PPC as well as general IQ. None were terribly tricky though the open-ended ones seemed more about gauging your train of thought than acing an answer.

Interview Question – If you were selling soda on a beach, how would you maximize profit?   Answer Question

Mobile Engineer Interview

Mobile Engineer

Interviewed at Zoosk

Interview Details – ask my resume and do one online test

Very Easy Interview

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and interviewed at Zoosk.

Interview Details – Bad management, bad training, they will fire you for the smallest reason. A constant high turn over of all employees. Very understaffed and management have no degrees and talk down to the employees. Very high school and gossipy company. No one seems to trust anyone for fear of being fired.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Zoosk.

Interview Details – 1 programming test, 2 phone interviews

Interview Question – find common integers in 2 sorted arrays   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Zoosk? Contribute to the Community!

Zoosk Videos

Zoosk – Why Work for Us?

An organization with a lot of heart... Zoosk's mission is to empower everyone to lead a more fulfilling love life. Values Zoosk’s diverse employees enrich both our professional environment and the work we do. Our… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Zoosk interview questions and advice. All 15 interview reviews posted anonymously by Zoosk employees and interview candidates.