Zoosk Interview Questions

Updated Jun 29, 2015

2.8

Finance Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Zoosk.

Interview

Completed a telephone interview with two people then I was asked to come in for a face to face with three people. At the on-site interview I was told that they were interested and would follow up after they finished additional scheduled interviews. Almost 2 weeks went by before I received emails that they were still interested. Even if they are busy they should communicate better to let potential candidates know where they are in the process.

Interview Questions

Interview

Two phone interviews with the manager and another person who will be your co-work follow by an on site interview with 3 people. Each person spend about an hour with you.

Interview Questions

• They are very interested in you being able to solve problem that would require some math. You'll need to be able to do it in your head. Even if you know how to solve it with a calculator, you can't.   Answer Question

Country Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Zoosk in October 2014.

Interview

A recruiter called me, asked about my salary expectations and scheduled a phone interview with someone who held a similar role. The phone interview focused on quick math and problem solving questions related to digital advertising.

The next round was three consecutive in person interviews at their corporate headquarters. The interviews had a similar format as the phone interview.

Interview Questions

• You have a cube made up of smaller cubes in a 10x10x10 format (the cube is made up of 1,000 smaller cubes). If you dip the cube so it's covered entirely in paint on the outside, how many of the smaller cubes that make up the bigger cubes are not covered in paint?   1 Answer

Senior Fp&A Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Zoosk (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The recruiter reached out to me within 24 hrs of submitting my resume. Initial phone call with hiring manager. Invited for face to face with 4 employees the following week. 3 of 4 were Finance employees, and dreaded #4 was from IT. I found it ironic that one of the Finance interviewers mentioned that primadonnas don't do well at Zoosk when the IT interviewer was exactly that.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Zoosk in July 2014.

Interview

Had a phone interview and face-to-face interview with the director of marketing who really liked my background and skill-set, however he was concerned that I was too overqualified for the position. Yet, he still wanted me to meet with the Sr. Marketing Manager who would be my direct report should I have gotten the job. However, this person had less experience and educational aptitude than I have. Despite my performing exceptionally well during the interview and answering all the case and quant questions correctly, I was not offered the job. I believe he was intimidated by my skill-set and educational background. So, it is a place where they lack vision and not necessarily care for hiring the best candidates. I thought it was a waste of my time. And I do not think they have the best and talented people on the board. Also, via the talks with the director of marketing, I got the impression, they are very rigid in their promotions, and act like a bureaucracy-driven big corporation minus the better pay-check. So, it is not the place where you can get appreciated for the good work you put in. Also, they do not offer any stocks any more to make up for their miserable pay.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were hard. Yet, this so called Sr. Manager kept pressuring me to provide him with a failure on my career which never occurred. I tried to explain him that my work experience did not span on digital marketing where failures and recoveries from them in a short time frame were available, however he seemed to have a hard time understanding that.   Answer Question

Chief JavaScript Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Zoosk (San Francisco, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

This role has been open for eight weeks in downtown SF just up the street from Twitter for a reason. I successfully interviewed at and was hired by Google. Please keep that in mind as you read. My title at Google? Application Architect. So...with all of that in mind...

They either forgot I was being interviewed for an architect role or didn't know how to interview an architect. I was not asked a single question related to the problem domain of software architecture at all.

I was not asked to demonstrate the ability to produce a data flow diagram, software component architecture diagram or anything resembling a verification of an architect's communication skills. I was not asked how to choose and/or scale a database, when/when not to leverage a cache, when to use a particular protocol, language or persistent storage strategy or anything even remotely related to software architecture. Describe the difference between a persistent and non-persistent connection and why you might choose one or the other? Didn't happen.

There was zero discussion of software design patterns, best practices, security, payment card industry compliance, internationalization, development environment tools and configuration, change management, deployment strategies, infrastructure capacity monitoring and planning, high-availability options and strategies, geodiversification of data centers, [unit, end-to-end or load] test tools and/or how to keep all of that in sync and up-to-date using NPM (when it's down) (...again). That, apparently, will not be an "architect's" responsibility at Zoosk. No idea who's worrying about all of that at Zoosk, I do hope someone is, but it's certainly not this role's responsibility if this interview meant anything at all.

I wasn't asked to describe the technical merit of an existing framework or any frameworks (plural) that I'd built in the past. None of them had seen my website OR my github projects. After seeing them, they were very impressed. But, you know, honestly? Who cares if the ARCHITECT can build a SITE or not, right? No sense having a look at any of that crap before deciding to fly me out there.

This role was created for guiding Zoosk's port from LAMP to the MEAN stack. There were no probes into Node.js's internals such as how it implements everything on a single thread. No one seemed interested in a discussion about how the single-threaded Node.js async model can scale better than using threads and/or forked processes, or when the model causes nothing but problems.

I also wasn't asked how I commonly deal with MongoDB's global write lock, or how I'd go about creating a high-availability MongoDB deployment with replica sets or achieve horizontal scalability through shards. I wasn't asked about how MongoDB's aggregation framework recently lost its 16MB limit and what that might mean, or how Mongo can now emit aggregations directly into new collections.

No discussion was had about load balancing or what sort of concerns that imposes on session manager, or the ways in which a developer might need to communicate with an IT Professional about a load balancing strategy. We had no discussions on how to build a real-time chat system without polling or what kind of browser features would be required to use a persistent connection for said system.

I was, however, asked programming trivia questions in three rounds talking with three total people. I answered all of them except for the last question asked by the last person in the final round. After an entire day of no architectural discussions, I was asked to implement a routine to find the longest rule-based numeric adjacency list in a 2D matrix of numbers in JavaScript with five minutes left in the interview round.

So, yes - after three hours of this - I capped my marker, set it down on the ledge and said, "If this is what you expect an architect to be doing, you're talking to the wrong person. Thank you for the opportunity, but please find someone else." This was after being told in the phone screen by my potential future manager, "If you're writing a bunch of math and algorithm implementations here, [we'd] consider it a serious waste of your time. We need you evaluating new frameworks, finding their value and integrating them into the platform."

I only wanted to improve people's lives and was 100% honest with every person I talked to throughout this entire process. Answered everything except the last question that got asked with five minutes left in the day because, by that point, I'd heard all I needed to hear. Didn't wait for an offer or whatever, this was an on-the-spot, "Thanks, but I'm not a good fit. Please talk to other people."

Interview Questions

• None were difficult; all were completely unexpected as an architect.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Zoosk.

Interview

Was contacted for a phone interview and it was scheduled really fast. The job as it was described to me what not what I thought it would be.

Interview Questions

• They asked how I would solve a problem they were having with their product.   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Zoosk.

Interview

negative experience. the company seemed unorganized. the questions the interviewer asked in the first five minutes gave the impression that he had not read my resume whatsoever. he later confided to me that that was his first time interviewing -- and it showed. they told me to prepare for a 'case interview,' but what they actually meant by case were two extremely technical mathematical questions that required only a right answer. Given that the interview was over the phone, I thought this approach was odd. I tried to show my thought process while answering their questions, but they really where interested only in the right answer.

Interview Questions

• The first question was: "a company pays a marketing agency $5 per lead and gets $100 dollars each time a lead converts into a purchasing costumer. What is the conversion rate necessary for the company to break even?," and the second was ""a firm receives two cost structures from a marketing agency, one in which they pay $1 per thousand impressions and another in which they pay $1 per click. What should be the click-through-rate to justify the first structure?"   Answer Question

Senior UI Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Zoosk (San Francisco, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

It was fast and quick, they gave a hiring bonus and it went smooth. Very professional recruiting team in general. I liked the people I met and felt it was gonna work out great.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about working for a tech company as opposed to advertising.   Answer Question

Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Zoosk (San Francisco, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

Pretty normal process, but position is an analytics/BI role versus "marketing". Initial phone interview with hiring mgr, then invited back a week later for an in person interview with hiring mgr, marketing director, VP marketing. Interview was a mix of casual questions and problem solving and quant tests. Process was about a few hours.

Interview Questions

• tests provided was calculation of email marketing metrics such as subscription costs, conversion rates, cost of acquisition, channel costs and effectiveness of channel makeup by geographic region.   1 Answer