Zumiez Interview Questions

Updated Mar 30, 2015

2.1

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Zumiez in November 2014.

Interview

A few months back I had applied online and they didn't get back to me until I'd say 2 weeks. They didn't contact me, I had to to contact them 2 times. The first to hand in a resume and formerly introduce myself and the second to call and ask if they were still hiring, seeing as they didn't contact me at all after they said they would be holding interviews that Sunday. I backed them into a corner so to speak and I was scheduled for a group interview on Sunday. It was a fun experience, the managers are really laid back, cussing, and sharing some of their person experiences. They obviously proffered people with certain looks like tattoo's or crazy hair colors. Basically people that wore their products, and their image. People wore suits, cm'on are you kidding me? suits? No, Don't do that, it looked weird and not in the way that they were looking for. The people that commanded the most attention were people that had the grungy look of their store. It also helps to know how to sell things, and for god's sake, don't be quiet, show them you're passionate about their products. I declined the job simply because the ambiance of the store was,"We're friends but we sometimes steal sales from each other," and that just didn't sit right with me. Also do not go into the store thinking it's just a job, you need to know their products, you need to know how to sell, you don't just sit behind a counter and twiddle your hair in Walmart and shrug when a customer asks you a question about a product. If you're ONLY in it for the money, don't bother, you will not get hired. And even if you somehow fake it through the interview, you can't be fake forever.

Interview Questions

• Pick an item from the store and sell it to me   1 Answer

Meh, it seemed like the employee's in the zumiez I applied to would back stab new employee's. Not saying that all Zumiez employee's are stupidly fiercely competitive, just in my area.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Zumiez.

Interview

Weirdest interview of my life. I was called in to a group interview and instead of just asking us questions they made us sing and dance and play games with super complicated rules. I'm pretty sure I did terrible because I felt awkward dancing and singing in front of a group of strangers and even though I know retail is all about being outgoing I don't see what dancing and singing had to do with it. Anyway, once we concluded all the "games" we were each giving an individual interview in, what I can only call a closet, with one light bulb hanging from the ceiling and two of the managers. It was such a tight fit that we were all basically on top of each other and I felt very uncomfortable. I answered their questions in a hurry just to get out of there and then I left. I got a call back a few days later but I missed it and I never called back because even if they were offering me a job I didn't want it after the bizarre interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?
      What do you know about Zumiez?

Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Zumiez.

Interview

The interview over all was very fun! There were 4 of us and we broke off into little groups. And they asked me some questions like why did you apply to Zumiez and why you want to work there. Then we did some activities. Which was super fun. We had to pick an outfit out for the manager or who ever was interviewing us. Then we had to sell a product to them. It was very laid back and fun. What to wear, somthing from Zumiez or causal. Don't be late, I'd show up early. And be confidant

Help Desk Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Zumiez.

Interview

I only interview once, for a phone interview. The person who called me was really nice. He was the manager of the department and told me they wanted to hire quite a few people this year.

Interview Questions

• The questions were quite typical and general. He asked my previous experience, what did I do during the internship, why applied. The questions are quite detailed.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Zumiez (Kent, WA) in April 2014.

Interview

The interview process was horrible. Was with a group of 5-6 other people around the same age as me. The girl that was interviewing us was very stuck up and didn't ask any related questions.

Interview Questions

The workers gave me a bad vibe.

Anonymous Employee in Noblesville, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Zumiez (Noblesville, IN) in September 2013.

Interview

This was a group interview which was very unexpected. There was about 20 other people in the interview. We were all standing outside the building for awhile because it was locked as they got ready for the interview. They finally came out, called us by name and handed us our applications. First things is we got into a big circle and began introducing ourselves. There was four people doing the interview, and they started introducing themselves first. After we all introduced ourselves we then got put into three groups. Then there was three exercises they had us to. We had to first come up with a team name, and a team chant. You could tell this caught a lot of people off guard. I actually reviewed and saw we may have to do this on glass door so I was prepared and our group 'won'. Then still in the three groups we had to stand in a line and one at a time race to a clip board. We had to write down a brand that the company carried until we got to 20 brands. We then had to create a list of open-ended questions. Questions that don't take just yes or no to answer them. We then had to pick are top three, and present them. Last task we were given a random item in the store, and told to basically pitch the item to a custom to sell it. Last we all lines up to turn back in our applications, and shake the store managers hand.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult part would have been coming up with a team chant. But I was prepared, and looked up a few chants online. As well as thought of a good team name.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Zumiez (Fort Worth, TX) in June 2010.

Interview

At my particular location, they conducted group interviews. The group interview was conducted outside of the mall. The first thing we did was introduce ourselves. The first test came in at this time and the hiring manager asked each person to either 1. dance 2. sing 3. reenact their favorite scene from a movie. When we were told this, five people left. After this task, we were divided into groups and asked to make a skit including a product sold at the store. Our task was to show how we would sell the particular item to customers. Out of the group of about 15 people, I was hired with two other people. We were hired as temps and could work our way to being on a permanent schedule (if we interacted with customers well, met sales goals, etc.).

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations.

Anonymous Employee in Salinas, CA

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Zumiez (Salinas, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

I went in and asked if they were hiring one day and the manager in the store said he could interview me the next day. The interview process was very relaxed and the manager was a very nice guy. He really wants to make you feel like you're talking to a friend and not a boss. I noticed They are mainly looking for people who know how to put their critical thinking skills to good use and to really think outside of the box. They ask really interesting questions that you wouldn't think would be in a normal interview like "If you needed to hide a giraffe for a day, where would you put it?". When I was through with my interview, I thought it went really well and the manager complimented me on some of my answers to his questions. He told me that there weren't any spots available, but once one opens up that the he would definitely call. He never called me back, but it was still an interesting interview experience nonetheless.

Interview Questions

• If you needed to hide a giraffe for a day, where would you put it?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mesquite, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Zumiez (Mesquite, TX) in June 2014.

Interview

I apoliedy online,and about a week later I got a call from the manager.She asked me a few pre-interview questions,then called me in for a interview later in the day.I arrived a few minutes early,and she interviewed me outside the store.She basically asked my work experience, availability, why do I want to work here,tell me about yourself,any days I would not be able to work.She told me she would call if she was interested, but she never called back.I didn't really want to work there, so I kinda slacked off the whole interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverside, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Zumiez (Riverside, CA) in April 2010.

Interview

Pretty cool guy. Asked me some questions why i wanted the job and why i will do good well here.