Zumiez

Updated Dec 14, 2014

2.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salinas, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salinas, CA

I applied in-person – interviewed at Zumiez in April 2014.

I went in and asked if they were hiring one day and the manager in the store said he could interview me the next day. The interview process was very relaxed and the manager was a very nice guy. He really wants to make you feel like you're talking to a friend and not a boss. I noticed They are mainly looking for people who know how to put their critical thinking skills to good use and to really think outside of the box. They ask really interesting questions that you wouldn't think would be in a normal interview like "If you needed to hide a giraffe for a day, where would you put it?". When I was through with my interview, I thought it went really well and the manager complimented me on some of my answers to his questions. He told me that there weren't any spots available, but once one opens up that the he would definitely call. He never called me back, but it was still an interesting interview experience nonetheless.

Interview Questions
    • If you needed to hide a giraffe for a day, where would you put it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, WA

I applied online – interviewed at Zumiez in April 2014.

The interview process was horrible. Was with a group of 5-6 other people around the same age as me. The girl that was interviewing us was very stuck up and didn't ask any related questions.

Interview Questions

The workers gave me a bad vibe.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Zumiez.

I applied and just kept on checking back with the store manager. There was only a single interview done. Most of the questions weren't serious but more about how creative you can be as an individual. The attire I wore was casual skate wear as that's the kind of shop it is.

Interview Questions
    Not much negotiating really. It's a minimum wage paying job with the potential to grow into a more serious career.

Sales Person Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Zumiez in January 2014.

Applied online and got called for an interview about 3 days later, went to the interview and we met outside the store in the middle of the mall at a table, the interview took about 15 minutes and wasn't too challenging or serious.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Zumiez in December 2013.

It was very laid back i applied online, and the got a call to come in for an interview the interview was very formal but it happened while we walked around the store and the manager completed his duties. He wanted to see if i could think on my feet and keep up with him.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Zumiez in October 2013.

My entire process took five (5) days. I applied online and got a call two days later for a group interview for the next day. Our location isn't open yet so when I got to the store, we all waited out front. There were six people in total, including me. After reading on here, what type of interviews they have, I had no idea what to expect. I went in nervous but ready.

All you really need for this is confidence and a sense of humor. As long as you make yourself seen and heard, you're already about half way there. My interview didn't include any questions that you'd typically hear in an interview. They asked us to 3 things. The first was the introduction where they asked to state our name, tell a joke and name our favorite store and why it was our favorite. Then we had an open ended question relay, in which we answered a question with a question, avoiding yes or no answers. And lastly, they asked to find a random stranger and engage with them and ask 5 random questions. Overall it was a quick and fun experience. I got a call back with a job offer two days after the interview.

What You Need for Zumiez Interview:
    1. Make yourself seen. Be outgoing, be fun, interact. The quicker you put yourself ahead of the competition, the better chance you have of being seen and getting the job

2. Be confident. Don't be cocky. Know when to up your game, but know when to back down. You don't want to get on their bad side by overdoing it.

3. Dress for the job. Suit and tie won't work for this. Jeans, tee shirt and sneakers. It's a skate shop, not an office job.

4. Be ready for the unexpected. Zumiez managers are looking for people who can get the job done but can have fun while doing it. So this interview isn't going to be like any other interview you've ever been to. Be ready for that.

Interview Questions
    Salary was nonnegotiable. I fought, he didn't budge. But I accepted anyway because you also make commission.

Accounting Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lynnwood, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lynnwood, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Zumiez in October 2013.

I enjoyed the interview process, everyone was very candid and open and honest with the company and the position. It was great to take a tour of the corporate office and see what the environment would have been like. The one on one with the Controller was great, she was very transparent. The group interview the next phase was great too, the team seemed like a really great group to work with.

Interview Questions
    • It is dumb, but I got thrown by "what is your favorite brand of shoe" I love shoes and have way too many for my own good. Should have been on it and came to the table with a Zumiez type shoe, I didn't ;)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Noblesville, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Noblesville, IN

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Zumiez in September 2013.

This was a group interview which was very unexpected. There was about 20 other people in the interview. We were all standing outside the building for awhile because it was locked as they got ready for the interview. They finally came out, called us by name and handed us our applications. First things is we got into a big circle and began introducing ourselves. There was four people doing the interview, and they started introducing themselves first. After we all introduced ourselves we then got put into three groups. Then there was three exercises they had us to. We had to first come up with a team name, and a team chant. You could tell this caught a lot of people off guard. I actually reviewed and saw we may have to do this on glass door so I was prepared and our group 'won'. Then still in the three groups we had to stand in a line and one at a time race to a clip board. We had to write down a brand that the company carried until we got to 20 brands. We then had to create a list of open-ended questions. Questions that don't take just yes or no to answer them. We then had to pick are top three, and present them. Last task we were given a random item in the store, and told to basically pitch the item to a custom to sell it. Last we all lines up to turn back in our applications, and shake the store managers hand.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part would have been coming up with a team chant. But I was prepared, and looked up a few chants online. As well as thought of a good team name.   View Answer

Manager Interview

The interview process is very unique... be prepared to think on you toes and be creative with your answers. They want to see your ability to think and respond quickly.

Interview Questions
    • If you could be any car part which one and why?   View Answer

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Zumiez.

Walked in store, spoke with one employee, told me to fill out an application online and set up an interview for me with the store manager the following week. Hired on the spot. However, the following paperwork online took hours! Everything should go back to being on old fashioned paper.

Interview Questions
    • What color would best describe me and why?   View Answer
    • Name two personal strengths & two weaknesses/opportunities...   View Answer
    There wasn't one really. Pay wasn't negotiable even though I had been paid almost 3$ more at my most recent job.