Zumiez Interview Questions & Reviews

2.0

First Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Zumiez in August 2010.

Very relaxed. Most of the time was spent talking about hobbies and interests

Interview Questions
    Was given a wage and accepted

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Zumiez in June 2010.

At my particular location, they conducted group interviews. The group interview was conducted outside of the mall. The first thing we did was introduce ourselves. The first test came in at this time and the hiring manager asked each person to either 1. dance 2. sing 3. reenact their favorite scene from a movie. When we were told this, five people left. After this task, we were divided into groups and asked to make a skit including a product sold at the store. Our task was to show how we would sell the particular item to customers. Out of the group of about 15 people, I was hired with two other people. We were hired as temps and could work our way to being on a permanent schedule (if we interacted with customers well, met sales goals, etc.).

No negotiations.

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at Zumiez.

I applied and just kept on checking back with the store manager. There was only a single interview done. Most of the questions weren't serious but more about how creative you can be as an individual. The attire I wore was casual skate wear as that's the kind of shop it is.

Interview Questions
    Not much negotiating really. It's a minimum wage paying job with the potential to grow into a more serious career.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Zumiez in December 2013.

It was very laid back i applied online, and the got a call to come in for an interview the interview was very formal but it happened while we walked around the store and the manager completed his duties. He wanted to see if i could think on my feet and keep up with him.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Zumiez in April 2012.

7 step interview with 2-4 other candidates. Very straightforward questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Torrance, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torrance, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Zumiez in July 2013.

It was a group interview and probably the funniest interview I've ever been in. Some people were business causal and other were just dressed in zumiez attire. They test you based on your personality and how you react to certain situations. The manager will form everyone into groups of two and assign them to perform job related scenarios. Who ever shows out the most or impresses the manager usually gets a call back.

Interview Questions
    • How would you convince me to buy a item?
      How would you convince me to come shop at zumiez?
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at Zumiez in November 2011.

There was no former interview process. I walked in to ask for an application as a seasonal sales associate. I was told to apply online and bring in a resume to the store manager. When I returned I was asked if I had previous sales experience (which I didn't). I asked if this seasonal position could possibly become a part-time job (which it did). I got a call the next day with the position offer.

Accounting Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Lynnwood, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Lynnwood, WA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Zumiez in October 2013.

I enjoyed the interview process, everyone was very candid and open and honest with the company and the position. It was great to take a tour of the corporate office and see what the environment would have been like. The one on one with the Controller was great, she was very transparent. The group interview the next phase was great too, the team seemed like a really great group to work with.

Interview Questions
    • It is dumb, but I got thrown by "what is your favorite brand of shoe" I love shoes and have way too many for my own good. Should have been on it and came to the table with a Zumiez type shoe, I didn't ;)   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Zumiez in October 2013.

My entire process took five (5) days. I applied online and got a call two days later for a group interview for the next day. Our location isn't open yet so when I got to the store, we all waited out front. There were six people in total, including me. After reading on here, what type of interviews they have, I had no idea what to expect. I went in nervous but ready.

All you really need for this is confidence and a sense of humor. As long as you make yourself seen and heard, you're already about half way there. My interview didn't include any questions that you'd typically hear in an interview. They asked us to 3 things. The first was the introduction where they asked to state our name, tell a joke and name our favorite store and why it was our favorite. Then we had an open ended question relay, in which we answered a question with a question, avoiding yes or no answers. And lastly, they asked to find a random stranger and engage with them and ask 5 random questions. Overall it was a quick and fun experience. I got a call back with a job offer two days after the interview.

What You Need for Zumiez Interview:
    1. Make yourself seen. Be outgoing, be fun, interact. The quicker you put yourself ahead of the competition, the better chance you have of being seen and getting the job

2. Be confident. Don't be cocky. Know when to up your game, but know when to back down. You don't want to get on their bad side by overdoing it.

3. Dress for the job. Suit and tie won't work for this. Jeans, tee shirt and sneakers. It's a skate shop, not an office job.

4. Be ready for the unexpected. Zumiez managers are looking for people who can get the job done but can have fun while doing it. So this interview isn't going to be like any other interview you've ever been to. Be ready for that.

Interview Questions
    Salary was nonnegotiable. I fought, he didn't budge. But I accepted anyway because you also make commission.

Logistics Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Corona, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corona, CA

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Zumiez in March 2012.

I met some of the senior managers at a store I used to manage. I got a card, called the Logistics Manager, and a week later, I had an interview. The first interview was a 1 on 1, where we talked college course work, prior experience, professional aspirations. Then we took a tour around the DC, and afterward I was asked what changes I would make to improve business flow and logistics. The overall interview was positive, easy, and lasted about 2 hours, mostly just talking the state of the industry. The 2nd interview, about another week later, was a panel interview where other managers and supervisors would interview you as well. I feel this was more of a professional culture interview. It focused on past work scenarios, how you handle stress, gossip at work, what your work ethic is like, and prior employment. The attitude varied from person to person. Some were very cold, some were very excited to see me. 2 days later, an offer was made, with no room for salary negotiations (take it or leave it thing).

Interview Questions
    • If hired, what would you do to improve logistics and product flow?   View Answer
    I wasn't given the option to negotiate. It was a "take it or leave it" deal.