Zumiez

Average Difficulty
23 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Salinas, CA

I applied in-person - interviewed at Zumiez in April 2014.

Interview Details – I went in and asked if they were hiring one day and the manager in the store said he could interview me the next day. The interview process was very relaxed and the manager was a very nice guy. He really wants to make you feel like you're talking to a friend and not a boss. I noticed They are mainly looking for people who know how to put their critical thinking skills to good use and to really think outside of the box. They ask really interesting questions that you wouldn't think would be in a normal interview like "If you needed to hide a giraffe for a day, where would you put it?". When I was through with my interview, I thought it went really well and the manager complimented me on some of my answers to his questions. He told me that there weren't any spots available, but once one opens up that the he would definitely call. He never called me back, but it was still an interesting interview experience nonetheless.

Interview Question – If you needed to hide a giraffe for a day, where would you put it?   Answer Question

Fort Worth, TX

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Zumiez in June 2010.

Interview Details – At my particular location, they conducted group interviews. The group interview was conducted outside of the mall. The first thing we did was introduce ourselves. The first test came in at this time and the hiring manager asked each person to either 1. dance 2. sing 3. reenact their favorite scene from a movie. When we were told this, five people left. After this task, we were divided into groups and asked to make a skit including a product sold at the store. Our task was to show how we would sell the particular item to customers. Out of the group of about 15 people, I was hired with two other people. We were hired as temps and could work our way to being on a permanent schedule (if we interacted with customers well, met sales goals, etc.).

Interview Question – Sing your current favorite song.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations.

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and interviewed at Zumiez.

Interview Details – I applied and just kept on checking back with the store manager. There was only a single interview done. Most of the questions weren't serious but more about how creative you can be as an individual. The attire I wore was casual skate wear as that's the kind of shop it is.

Interview Question – Where would I hide a giraffe?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not much negotiating really. It's a minimum wage paying job with the potential to grow into a more serious career.

Baltimore, MD

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Zumiez in December 2013.

Interview Details – It was very laid back i applied online, and the got a call to come in for an interview the interview was very formal but it happened while we walked around the store and the manager completed his duties. He wanted to see if i could think on my feet and keep up with him.

Interview Question – He asked me to sell myself.   View Answer

Torrance, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Zumiez in July 2013.

Interview Details – It was a group interview and probably the funniest interview I've ever been in. Some people were business causal and other were just dressed in zumiez attire. They test you based on your personality and how you react to certain situations. The manager will form everyone into groups of two and assign them to perform job related scenarios. Who ever shows out the most or impresses the manager usually gets a call back.

Interview Question – How would you convince me to buy a item?
How would you convince me to come shop at zumiez?
  Answer Question

San Diego, CA

I applied in-person - interviewed at Zumiez in November 2011.

Interview Details – There was no former interview process. I walked in to ask for an application as a seasonal sales associate. I was told to apply online and bring in a resume to the store manager. When I returned I was asked if I had previous sales experience (which I didn't). I asked if this seasonal position could possibly become a part-time job (which it did). I got a call the next day with the position offer.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Zumiez in October 2013.

Interview Details – My entire process took five (5) days. I applied online and got a call two days later for a group interview for the next day. Our location isn't open yet so when I got to the store, we all waited out front. There were six people in total, including me. After reading on here, what type of interviews they have, I had no idea what to expect. I went in nervous but ready.

All you really need for this is confidence and a sense of humor. As long as you make yourself seen and heard, you're already about half way there. My interview didn't include any questions that you'd typically hear in an interview. They asked us to 3 things. The first was the introduction where they asked to state our name, tell a joke and name our favorite store and why it was our favorite. Then we had an open ended question relay, in which we answered a question with a question, avoiding yes or no answers. And lastly, they asked to find a random stranger and engage with them and ask 5 random questions. Overall it was a quick and fun experience. I got a call back with a job offer two days after the interview.

What You Need for Zumiez Interview:
1. Make yourself seen. Be outgoing, be fun, interact. The quicker you put yourself ahead of the competition, the better chance you have of being seen and getting the job

2. Be confident. Don't be cocky. Know when to up your game, but know when to back down. You don't want to get on their bad side by overdoing it.

3. Dress for the job. Suit and tie won't work for this. Jeans, tee shirt and sneakers. It's a skate shop, not an office job.

4. Be ready for the unexpected. Zumiez managers are looking for people who can get the job done but can have fun while doing it. So this interview isn't going to be like any other interview you've ever been to. Be ready for that.

Interview Question – Tell a joke.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salary was nonnegotiable. I fought, he didn't budge. But I accepted anyway because you also make commission.

Collegeville, PA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Zumiez in July 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and got a call within a week from the manager. I went in the next day for a one-on-one interview. it was very relaxed conversation and wasn't too long either. Overall, it wasn't the right environment for me, though. The manager described it too me as much too competitive environment with a lot of aggressive sales tactics.

Interview Question – Which of Zumiez' company qualities (Exciting, Aggressive, Competitive, and Committed) do you most exemplify and which do you least exemplify?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online - interviewed at Zumiez in November 2012.

Interview Details – Was a very different interview. There were about 25 people or so there, and at the start we all stood in a circle and went around telling everyone about ourselves. Then we broke up into groups and had do decide on a group and as well as a group chant. After that, we did what was called an "open-ended question relay." Then we had to do a few sales pitches with the group leaders. It was a pretty good experience overall.

Interview Question – Probably the sales pitch that you have to do.   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Zumiez.

Interview Details – I applied at zumiez online and a week later got a call from the manager. We did a phone interview than I was invited to the group interview. There were about 9-10 other people, they asked some questions and then we partnered up and introduced our partners. We also had to come up with a bunch of open ended questions and read off our best one. We were than told the 6 c's and had to grab a clothing item and describe it using the 6 c's. Even though I missed one I was still offered the job. We were all there for almost 2 hours, it was pretty fun tho. Stay confident, smile, and make them laugh.

Interview Question – Coming up with ten open ended questions   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Zumiez

Worked for Zumiez? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Zumiez Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 23 interview reviews posted anonymously by Zumiez employees and interview candidates.