Zumiez

Updated Nov 15, 2014

2.0

30 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Zumiez.

The hiring process was quite lengthy but it was very interesting, fun and rewarding in the end. I applied to Zumiez in the middle of October. I applied to 3 different ones around my area. Luckily for me, about 3 weeks later i a got a call scheduling me in for a group interview for 2 out of 3 Zumiez that I've applied too. My first interview was conducted as a 1 on 1 interview with the 2nd Assistant Manager. He asked me a few basic questions like what would i do if i suspected someone of shop lifting, along with what's the best thing i should have working at Zumiez. I got a call back a few days later with a job offer. I was so happy you dont even know. The next day i was scheduled in for another interview at another Zumiez near by. This interview was a group interview which contained 7 other people, the Assistant Manager and the General manager. They asked us to do a few activites in groups. The first one was an open ended question relay where we had to ask the most open ended questions using a topic they gave us. Then in the same groups they gave us a product and we had to make an infomercial about the product trying to sale it. You have to be creative with it. We got a shoe so i came up with a few creative ideas of my own. At the end of that they recognized me as the only one who actually convinced them of buying it. At the end saying by, they remembered my name and no one elses lol. But the next day, i got a call back with them telling my i was phenomenal and outstanding interview and they wanted me in their store. I accepted the offer right away. Thank god the Manager was also the District Manager. I ended up working at both stores.

Interview Questions
  • None really. You just honestly need to show them the real you. Be fun, enthusiastic and silly. As long as they remember you, you're good.   Answer Question
They're starting me off at 9.25, but depending on how i do, they'll raise it to 9.50. Never had a job so that's a lot for me :D

Other Interview Reviews for Zumiez

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Zumiez in November 2014.

A few months back I had applied online and they didn't get back to me until I'd say 2 weeks. They didn't contact me, I had to to contact them 2 times. The first to hand in a resume and formerly introduce myself and the second to call and ask if they were still hiring, seeing as they didn't contact me at all after they said they would be holding interviews that Sunday. I backed them into a corner so to speak and I was scheduled for a group interview on Sunday. It was a fun experience, the managers are really laid back, cussing, and sharing some of their person experiences. They obviously proffered people with certain looks like tattoo's or crazy hair colors. Basically people that wore their products, and their image. People wore suits, cm'on are you kidding me? suits? No, Don't do that, it looked weird and not in the way that they were looking for. The people that commanded the most attention were people that had the grungy look of their store. It also helps to know how to sell things, and for god's sake, don't be quiet, show them you're passionate about their products. I declined the job simply because the ambiance of the store was,"We're friends but we sometimes steal sales from each other," and that just didn't sit right with me. Also do not go into the store thinking it's just a job, you need to know their products, you need to know how to sell, you don't just sit behind a counter and twiddle your hair in Walmart and shrug when a customer asks you a question about a product. If you're ONLY in it for the money, don't bother, you will not get hired. And even if you somehow fake it through the interview, you can't be fake forever.

Interview Questions
    • Pick an item from the store and sell it to me   View Answer

Meh, it seemed like the employee's in the zumiez I applied to would back stab new employee's. Not saying that all Zumiez employee's are stupidly fiercely competitive, just in my area.

Sales Associate Interview

Applied online, didnt get a call back so i went into store to ask about but was given no real answer and was told to apply again online. I applied a few times but no one ever contacted me

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sugar Land, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sugar Land, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Zumiez in July 2014.

It was a group interview of about 9 people. We came up with team names and chants. They asked us questions about ourselves and what we thought we could bring to the company. We did this one activity where we had to keep asking the manager open ended questions, like questions without a yes or no answer. Then we had to demonstrate how we would sell them our phone.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, WA

I applied online – interviewed at Zumiez in April 2014.

The interview process was horrible. Was with a group of 5-6 other people around the same age as me. The girl that was interviewing us was very stuck up and didn't ask any related questions.

Interview Questions

The workers gave me a bad vibe.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salinas, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salinas, CA

I applied in-person – interviewed at Zumiez in April 2014.

I went in and asked if they were hiring one day and the manager in the store said he could interview me the next day. The interview process was very relaxed and the manager was a very nice guy. He really wants to make you feel like you're talking to a friend and not a boss. I noticed They are mainly looking for people who know how to put their critical thinking skills to good use and to really think outside of the box. They ask really interesting questions that you wouldn't think would be in a normal interview like "If you needed to hide a giraffe for a day, where would you put it?". When I was through with my interview, I thought it went really well and the manager complimented me on some of my answers to his questions. He told me that there weren't any spots available, but once one opens up that the he would definitely call. He never called me back, but it was still an interesting interview experience nonetheless.

Interview Questions
    • If you needed to hide a giraffe for a day, where would you put it?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Zumiez.

I applied and just kept on checking back with the store manager. There was only a single interview done. Most of the questions weren't serious but more about how creative you can be as an individual. The attire I wore was casual skate wear as that's the kind of shop it is.

Interview Questions
    Not much negotiating really. It's a minimum wage paying job with the potential to grow into a more serious career.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Zumiez in December 2013.

It was very laid back i applied online, and the got a call to come in for an interview the interview was very formal but it happened while we walked around the store and the manager completed his duties. He wanted to see if i could think on my feet and keep up with him.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Zumiez in October 2013.

My entire process took five (5) days. I applied online and got a call two days later for a group interview for the next day. Our location isn't open yet so when I got to the store, we all waited out front. There were six people in total, including me. After reading on here, what type of interviews they have, I had no idea what to expect. I went in nervous but ready.

All you really need for this is confidence and a sense of humor. As long as you make yourself seen and heard, you're already about half way there. My interview didn't include any questions that you'd typically hear in an interview. They asked us to 3 things. The first was the introduction where they asked to state our name, tell a joke and name our favorite store and why it was our favorite. Then we had an open ended question relay, in which we answered a question with a question, avoiding yes or no answers. And lastly, they asked to find a random stranger and engage with them and ask 5 random questions. Overall it was a quick and fun experience. I got a call back with a job offer two days after the interview.

What You Need for Zumiez Interview:
    1. Make yourself seen. Be outgoing, be fun, interact. The quicker you put yourself ahead of the competition, the better chance you have of being seen and getting the job

2. Be confident. Don't be cocky. Know when to up your game, but know when to back down. You don't want to get on their bad side by overdoing it.

3. Dress for the job. Suit and tie won't work for this. Jeans, tee shirt and sneakers. It's a skate shop, not an office job.

4. Be ready for the unexpected. Zumiez managers are looking for people who can get the job done but can have fun while doing it. So this interview isn't going to be like any other interview you've ever been to. Be ready for that.

Interview Questions
    Salary was nonnegotiable. I fought, he didn't budge. But I accepted anyway because you also make commission.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Noblesville, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Noblesville, IN

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Zumiez in September 2013.

This was a group interview which was very unexpected. There was about 20 other people in the interview. We were all standing outside the building for awhile because it was locked as they got ready for the interview. They finally came out, called us by name and handed us our applications. First things is we got into a big circle and began introducing ourselves. There was four people doing the interview, and they started introducing themselves first. After we all introduced ourselves we then got put into three groups. Then there was three exercises they had us to. We had to first come up with a team name, and a team chant. You could tell this caught a lot of people off guard. I actually reviewed and saw we may have to do this on glass door so I was prepared and our group 'won'. Then still in the three groups we had to stand in a line and one at a time race to a clip board. We had to write down a brand that the company carried until we got to 20 brands. We then had to create a list of open-ended questions. Questions that don't take just yes or no to answer them. We then had to pick are top three, and present them. Last task we were given a random item in the store, and told to basically pitch the item to a custom to sell it. Last we all lines up to turn back in our applications, and shake the store managers hand.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part would have been coming up with a team chant. But I was prepared, and looked up a few chants online. As well as thought of a good team name.   View Answer