Zurich North America Interview Questions

Updated Sep 18, 2014
Updated Sep 18, 2014

2.9

Actuarial Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Zurich North America.

I submitted an application online and received a phone call to set up a phone interview from someone in HR a few days later. We scheduled a phone interview with an actuary for later that week.

All of the questions in the phone interview were pretty simple - pretty standard "most common interview questions." Why do you want to be an actuary, why do you want to work at Zurich, describe a time you solved a program, etc. Although the interviewer was an actuary, he worked primarily with non-actuaries, and he did not know what departments entry-level hires were generally placed in, nor did he even know which departments were located in which geographical locations. He was unable to answer any of my questions, but he said that if I was chosen for an on-site interview, I would have the chance to speak with employees in the student program who would have more information.

About a week or so later, I received a call from HR to set up an on-site interview. The company paid my travel expenses. I interviewed with three actuaries for a half hour each. (I did not meet with anyone in the student program.) The first two went okay and had pretty standard questions. The third interviewer surprised me with more of a case interview that was difficult and, in my opinion, inappropriate for an entry-level interview. He then asked me fairly specific questions about math courses I had taken. The vibe was less friendly and more intimidating, but it might have just been my interviewers.

I never received any follow up, other than the check for my travel. I would have appreciated at least an email telling me I was no longer under consideration.

Interview Questions
    • How would you price this hypothetical, nonstandard insurance product to protect a company from having to pay out too much in sweepstakes winnings?   Answer Question

Claims Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Zurich North America.

Applied online, was contacted by a recruiter within a few days of submitting the application. Had a basic preliminary phone interview that lasted about 30 minutes. By the end of the interview, I was asked to interview in person in the local office. The in-person interview lasted about 4 hours total, with 45 minute interviews within 4 employees of the Claims department.

Interview Questions
    • How many golf balls would it take to fill a Boeing 747 airplane?   View Answers (2)

Underwriter Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Zurich North America in January 2013.

Email first. Than phone interview. Than face to face interview. Got back to me very quickly after each (within 1-2 weeks).

Not much available.

Underwriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Zurich North America in October 2012.

Process takes too long

Interview Questions
    • None - just long periods between interview steps in the process   Answer Question

Found a better company to work for. Worried about the culture/reputation of Zurich and having that on my resume.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Zurich North America.

Phone interview with HR
    Phone Interview with hiring manager
    In-person interview with hiring manager, department VP and another department manger

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you made an error and how did you correct it?   Answer Question

Senior Underwriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Zurich North America in July 2012.

Was contacted by a recruiter who gave me a phone interview. Then brought me in to hiring manager; we probably spent an hour together. I came back a few weeks later to meet the multiple team members (3 hours). Didn't get an offer due to a restructuring.

Interview Questions
    • N/A - Nothing asked was particularly difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Zurich North America in March 2012.

Received several phone calls from recruiter. After a brief interview with her, she recommended me to a manager that I would be directly working under. I then received a phone call the next week from this manager and traditional questions were asked (How would you rate your excel skills, tell me about a difficult time, etc.). Several weeks later the female recruiter called me back stating I was not selected for the opportunity.

Finance and Insurance Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Zurich North America in March 2012.

The recruiter invited me to take an assessment test. It took about 1 1/2 hours to complete. I later was contacted by the hiring manager to come in for a 1:1 interview. It was what I expected in an interview and typical questions came up. The next step was to meet with the regional sales manager many of the same questions were asked and answered including what are you three biggest weaknesses? I was asked after the 2nd interview to retake the assessment, which I did. I was asked to meet with the Account Executive I would be teamed with in the territory. He was very nice and I was excited we got along well. I next was asked to ride along with another account executive and the hiring manager as well as the employee leaving the position. We made calls on dealers informing them of the change to the position and I was introduced as the possible replacement for the position. I left with a good feeling but soon realized that the communication at Zurich Financial was very bad. I made numerous attempts to inquire about the position through phone calls and text messages but never could get a straight answer? I finally reached the hiring manager only to find there was another candidate being considered. I asked about another position available and offered my willingness to even relocate. Weeks later I receive a text message from the hiring manager stating they are still working on it. I tried again many times through phone calls and text messages to inquire about the status and received no response. I would think that a company this size would require a higher standard.

Corporate Tax Accountant Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Zurich North America in March 2012.

Internship interview consisted of phone interviews. First interview was with a human resource recruiter. Second interview was with two managers. Interview was moderate to difficult questions consisting of behavioral and resume mixed questions. Overall, not too difficult.

Interview Questions
    • Share a real life experience that you were looked as a team leader?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Zurich North America in February 2012.

got an interview at their Schaumburg office with their HR department was shown around the department i would be working for good place to work

Interview Questions
    • What has been your most valuable experience in college thus far   Answer Question