Zynga Interview Questions

Updated Apr 14, 2015
Updated Apr 14, 2015

Game Developer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Zynga (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I am not prepared any of these questions. First 10 minute about me and my background. Next 30 min about algorithm, data stucture question. I did't get any on site interview maybe because of my english.

Interview Questions

• What is different between queue and stack? Can you explain me merge sort? Do you know hash, how it works? Thread? Deadlock?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Zynga.

Interview

phone call and the in person interview during the interview there was some linked list and binary tree and data structure stuff asked and it was fairly straight forward and later on go to meet the team

Mobile App Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Zynga in January 2015.

Interview

I had a job position from them recommended to me through Linkedin's 'job' section. I applied because the job description matched exactly what I did at my last job. I applied and got an interview within two days. They offered me the job, but I was disappointed to find out they would only be paying $90 a week on average. No benefits offered either.

Interview Questions

They would not offer me benefits and the pay was too low.

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Zynga in January 2015.

Interview

Behavioral phone screen followed by another round of technical phone interviews lasting about two hours with various engineers at Zynga. There were no actual coding questions. Most of the questions tested general CS knowledge, and there were a few questions that asked how you would handle a specific problem. If you payed attention in your core CS classes and can describe your projects inside-out with confidence, you're golden.

Interview Questions

• Given a random maze and a "robot" in the top left corner, describe an algorithm to bring the robot to the center given only a method that outputs the walls adjacent to the robot.   Answer Question

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Zynga.

Interview

This is a fast-paced company so come with a mentality where you are ready to be entrepreneurial and flexible. Come with questions for the interviewers and make sure you have researched about the company, including games that they have developed, their current business strategies, new platforms they are venturing into, what technology they are trying to build, what are some of their key competitors and how are their games performing on the different platforms they are distributed on, whether it is mobile or web.

Interview Questions

• Please tell us about your key achievement from your last company in great details and what our overall approach and strategy was.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Zynga (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

first they emailed me and then to phone interview. first 15 min the guy spoke about the position and another 15 min the guy asked me about myself and questions.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Zynga.

Interview

The process was simple, had an on campus interview followed by a phone round where I had three people interview me. I was asked a couple of very generic game development questions, inheritance concepts, Java vs C++. They also asked me about algorithms, big O, big Omega, big Theta. I was then waited for about 2 weeks before I got to hear from them, unfortunately the answer was a no.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Zynga.

Interview

Met a representative from Zynga at an infosession and gave my resume. Zynga scheduled an interview with me a few weeks after. Had one 30-minute interview. Spent the first half going over resume, and the second half was a couple of technical questions (one definition one and one coding one).

Interview Questions

• As long as you know your data structures well (especially linked lists), you should be fine for the technical questions. Nothing excessively complicated was asked -- as long as you have the basics down, you should be fine. Interviewer provided helpful hints if stuck.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Zynga (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Elaborate interview process. They asked me about different question from the same Crack the Coding interview book. Which almost every interviewer uses.

Not very innovative questions, but companies are looking for clarity of thought rather than skills these days.

Interview Questions

• Not very difficult question. Engineers impressed with a variety of skills.   Answer Question

Other goals.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Zynga (San Francisco, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

I applied through a recruiter. I was invited for a phone screen. The phone screen was done by a principal engineer. He was friendly. He asked me some basic C++ questions like vf tables, static_cast, dynamic_cast, reinterpret_case and dynamic cast and a little about my mentoring skills. The next day I got an email for an onsite. The onsite was with 2 directors, 1 architect and a VP, all senior folks since I am 10+ years experiences. Only one interview was on coding. He asked me how to do in order traversal without recursion. 2 of them were mainly on my design, debugging and architectural skills and one on my personality like what I like to work and what I am looking in my next job. Everything went well and I got an offer.

I was interviewed for a principal engineer role, but when they made me the offer they hired me at Senior Software Engineer level. This is a little mysterious. They are very generous in terms of perks.

Interview Questions

• 1) Different types of casts in C++
      2) In order traversal without recursion
      3) If an iphone app crashes often how will you debug
      4) Design for gameboard leaders for a game in zynga
      5) Design chess game and scale it
      6) Design for C compiler (since I mentioned it on my resume)

Answer Question

Negotiation

They started at 145K base and I kept quite and they bumped it up to 150K.

I got 16000 RSUS and 150K base, 15% conditional bonus every year.