Zynga Interview Questions

Updated Oct 13, 2014
Updated Oct 13, 2014

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Zynga.

Met a representative from Zynga at an infosession and gave my resume. Zynga scheduled an interview with me a few weeks after. Had one 30-minute interview. Spent the first half going over resume, and the second half was a couple of technical questions (one definition one and one coding one).

Interview Questions
    • As long as you know your data structures well (especially linked lists), you should be fine for the technical questions. Nothing excessively complicated was asked -- as long as you have the basics down, you should be fine. Interviewer provided helpful hints if stuck.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Zynga.

Elaborate interview process. They asked me about different question from the same Crack the Coding interview book. Which almost every interviewer uses.

Not very innovative questions, but companies are looking for clarity of thought rather than skills these days.

Interview Questions
    • Not very difficult question. Engineers impressed with a variety of skills.   Answer Question

Other goals.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Zynga in August 2014.

I applied through a recruiter. I was invited for a phone screen. The phone screen was done by a principal engineer. He was friendly. He asked me some basic C++ questions like vf tables, static_cast, dynamic_cast, reinterpret_case and dynamic cast and a little about my mentoring skills. The next day I got an email for an onsite. The onsite was with 2 directors, 1 architect and a VP, all senior folks since I am 10+ years experiences. Only one interview was on coding. He asked me how to do in order traversal without recursion. 2 of them were mainly on my design, debugging and architectural skills and one on my personality like what I like to work and what I am looking in my next job. Everything went well and I got an offer.

I was interviewed for a principal engineer role, but when they made me the offer they hired me at Senior Software Engineer level. This is a little mysterious. They are very generous in terms of perks.

Interview Questions
    • 1) Different types of casts in C++
      2) In order traversal without recursion
      3) If an iphone app crashes often how will you debug
      4) Design for gameboard leaders for a game in zynga
      5) Design chess game and scale it
      6) Design for C compiler (since I mentioned it on my resume)
        Answer Question
    They started at 145K base and I kept quite and they bumped it up to 150K.

I got 16000 RSUS and 150K base, 15% conditional bonus every year.

Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Zynga in August 2014.

After applying through a contact of mine at the company, I got an email response from a recruiter within a day. We scheduled a phone interview with the hiring manager who called right on time and had all the right questions you would expect. Again within a day, I got another email from a person in HR who informed me about the positive outcome of the phone interview and scheduled an onsite interview with 6 people (consecutively) in about a week.
    I got there on time and the first person on the interviewer list was there to pick me up, also very much on time. Each interview with the six different people was on time, everybody was well prepared and asked very targeted questions. The second to last person on the list was the HR person again who clearly said that everybody like me and that I will hear from them in three days time.
    Now here comes the very odd part: Everything up to this point was very professionally and clearly a first rated experience of an interview process the way it should be. But when three days past and I didn't hear from them, I let about a week go by and then sent a direct email to two of the interviewers (NOT through jobvite) to get a status update. I was clear that I didn't "expect" any particular outcome, just an update so I can organize MY plans accordingly. No answer! Again, another email several days later: no answer!

My point here is: Zynga is very good with the interview process itself but then they are loosing it big time by letting the candidate hang there without closure. I gave them a considerable portion of my time, including taking off from work, and I do expect a professional attitude, even (or especially) when there is no offer forthcoming.

Interview Questions
    • What do you expect to contribute to the company during the first six months?   View Answer

Technical Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Zynga.

Applied, internal recruiter followed up the next day to set up a phone call. Phone call went great, then was asked to come on-site and met with management. I met with the recruiting manager who blatantly said that she does not give praise, recognition, or "atta boys." She said the only time she really interacts with her staff is when they are "doing it wrong." I asked her why I should consider Zynga over other companies, and she avoided the question, simply stating, "we're just that good." It would seem Zynga is relying too much on their brand to attract candidates, and not anything else. At a current stock price hovering around $3.00/share, there isn't much incentive.

Interview Questions
    • "What do you not want to do in 5 years?" I wasn't prepared for the question, so I hesitated a bit.   Answer Question

Any Opening Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Zynga in July 2014.

I applied through a recruiter. I was invited for a phone screen. The phone screen was done by a principal engineer. He was friendly. He asked me some basic C++ questions like vf tables, static_cast, dynamic_cast, reinterpret_case and dynamic cast and a little about my mentoring skills. The next day I got an email for an onsite. The onsite was with 2 directors, 1 architect and a VP, all senior folks since I have 10+ years experience. Only one interview was on coding. He asked me how to do in order traversal without recursion. Two of them were mainly on my design, debugging and architectural skills and one on my personality like what I like to work and what I am looking in my next job.

Strategy Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Zynga.

Phone screen with potential manager, then brought in for four in-person interviews with members of various teams. The interviewers ran late, they were communicating in-view with the HR manager for the req in between the interviews, and they never officially declined me for the position. Overall a bad experience suggesting that the company's reputation for a bad culture were accurate.

Product Management Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Zynga in March 2014.

Applied in January, and received email about arranging a first-round interview in March. Smooth process overall.

Interview Questions
    • What features would you add or change to your favorite Zynga game? Take me through the user flow.   Answer Question
    • If you had to pick the most important metrics for a dashboard you're building, what would they be and why?   Answer Question
    • Let's say DAU is increasing while MAU is stagnant. What actionable insights can you draw from this?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Zynga in March 2014.

Fast interview process. Nice people. From the time the recruiter called to the time I was interviewing in person was 2 weeks. They are very sure about what they know so do not challenge their thoughts or comments even if they are wrong. This might be true for any interview but especially here. I don't think they like disagreements or differing views. You must always support your views with "proof" which makes it difficult working outside of data and stats and really getting creative and out of the box.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult. The only thing you have to remember is that they really want you to be playing their games before you go there. You MUST be a big fan of their games. They will ask you about your levels, collections, etc.   Answer Question

Work/life balance was poor. Looked like everyone was always stressed out. People looked paranoid.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Zynga in February 2014.

Applied online and had two rounds of interview over the phone. The first one was with HR person which asked just regular question. Second one was with a director which asked narrow and specific questions about my background and asked me a few practical questions and real situations and was testing me.