Zynga

Relevance Date Difficulty

Technical Recruiter Interview

Technical Recruiter
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Zynga.

Interview Details – Applied, internal recruiter followed up the next day to set up a phone call. Phone call went great, then was asked to come on-site and met with management. I met with the recruiting manager who blatantly said that she does not give praise, recognition, or "atta boys." She said the only time she really interacts with her staff is when they are "doing it wrong." I asked her why I should consider Zynga over other companies, and she avoided the question, simply stating, "we're just that good." It would seem Zynga is relying too much on their brand to attract candidates, and not anything else. At a current stock price hovering around $3.00/share, there isn't much incentive.

Interview Question – "What do you not want to do in 5 years?" I wasn't prepared for the question, so I hesitated a bit.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Data Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Zynga in August 2013.

Interview Details – Had a phone interview with the recruiter and then a second phone interview with another analyst. I had some SQL experience, but my SQL was just not at the level they wanted. If you're applying for this KNOW YOUR SQL.

The interview with the analyst consisted of standard questions about my current position and my background, and then when we got to the SQL portion he had me rate my skill out of 10. After that he started asking me to verbally say SQL queries for different things. From basic select to some calculation/math type queries. These were the ones where I realized my SQL knowledge just wasn't where they wanted it.

Interview Question – I can't remember the exact question, but it had to do with calculating the percentage of paid users in a game using 2 separate tables in sql.   Answer Question

Ad Operations Manager Interview

Ad Operations Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Zynga in February 2011.

Interview Details – 1) Recruiter phone screening
2) On site face to face interview, at least 4 to 5 people from related fields (hiring team, partner team and etc). Each one last for about 30 minutes

Interview Question – People say Zynga doesn't have any culture. What is your take while doing your research?   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Strategy Manager Interview

Strategy Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Zynga.

Interview Details – Phone screen with potential manager, then brought in for four in-person interviews with members of various teams. The interviewers ran late, they were communicating in-view with the HR manager for the req in between the interviews, and they never officially declined me for the position. Overall a bad experience suggesting that the company's reputation for a bad culture were accurate.

Interview Question – How should Zynga partner with Snapchat?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Zynga in July 2011.

Interview Details – The whole process was very strange and convoluted. They sent me a job req for a game producer in San Diego--where I wanted to go, so I was excited. I applied for the job thru their JobVite system. It took them 2 months to get back to me. When I came in, they told me it was for a project manager in SF. Big difference!

Interview Question – Typical questions on project management. I just wish they were clear about the location, as it is very important to most people.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I negotiated more money and stock options very easily

Human Resources Manager Interview

Human Resources Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Zynga in May 2011.

Interview Details – Fairly standard process--the recruiter reached out to me and we had an initial conversation, followed by a follow-up to verify background/experience and salary expectations. I came in for a day of in-person interviews (five total--two HR managers and three recruiters).

All in all, I found all three recruiters with whom I interviewed to be smug and self-satisfied, and their questions were amateurish. The two HR managers were better and more insightful. All told, I didn't get a compelling sense from the interviewers as to why I would want to work there. I was on the fence about the role, as my background in healthcare HR and I had heard horror stories about the Zynga culture, but I was interested in at least exploring the opportunity.

I never had communication (yes or no) from the recruiter afterwards, despite several follow-ups on my part. I would have declined, but I still found it unprofessional for the recruiter to not close the loop after I spent a day on site.

The interviews took place shortly before the IPO; I suspect that Zynga recruiters are a bit more humble today when interacting with candidates.

Interview Question – "We work really hard here...what would you do when you weren't able to finish everything before a deadline?"   View Answer

Arist Interview

Arist
San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Zynga in May 2010.

Interview Details – 3 Phone interviews and 2 In-person interviews

Negotiation Details – Artist tend to jump right into the salary offered. Think carefully on what you are getting, do your research. Also, will you receive a stipend? A starting bonus? Equity? Etc.

Product Management Intern Interview

Product Management Intern

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Zynga in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied in January, and received email about arranging a first-round interview in March. Smooth process overall.

Interview Questions

• What features would you add or change to your favorite Zynga game? Take me through the user flow.   Answer Question
  • If you had to pick the most important metrics for a dashboard you're building, what would they be and why?   Answer Question
  • Let's say DAU is increasing while MAU is stagnant. What actionable insights can you draw from this?   Answer Question

Gamer Interview

Gamer
Harrisonburg, VA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Zynga in October 2010.

Interview Details – Play the game as hard as can.

Interview Question – Do I have a certain animal.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Zynga in October 2013.

Interview Details – The in-person interview was easy, they didn't ask any technical questions, but only quizzed on experience and skills. That was followed by 3 phone interviews (same day), in which they asked a lot of technical questions, focusing on data structures especially, and computer management. There were no coding questions, but they did ask how would you implement something.

Interview Question – How would you design Words with Friends? What Data structure?   Answer Question

Worked for Zynga? Contribute to the Community!