Zynga

Updated Feb 17, 2015
Updated Feb 17, 2015

Game Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Zynga.

I am not prepared any of these questions. First 10 minute about me and my background. Next 30 min about algorithm, data stucture question. I did't get any on site interview maybe because of my english.

Interview Questions
    • What is different between queue and stack? Can you explain me merge sort? Do you know hash, how it works? Thread? Deadlock?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Zynga.

phone call and the in person interview during the interview there was some linked list and binary tree and data structure stuff asked and it was fairly straight forward and later on go to meet the team

Mobile App Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Zynga in January 2015.

I had a job position from them recommended to me through Linkedin's 'job' section. I applied because the job description matched exactly what I did at my last job. I applied and got an interview within two days. They offered me the job, but I was disappointed to find out they would only be paying $90 a week on average. No benefits offered either.

Interview Questions

They would not offer me benefits and the pay was too low.

Community Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Zynga.

This is a fast-paced company so come with a mentality where you are ready to be entrepreneurial and flexible. Come with questions for the interviewers and make sure you have researched about the company, including games that they have developed, their current business strategies, new platforms they are venturing into, what technology they are trying to build, what are some of their key competitors and how are their games performing on the different platforms they are distributed on, whether it is mobile or web.

Interview Questions
    • Please tell us about your key achievement from your last company in great details and what our overall approach and strategy was.   Answer Question

Localization Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Zynga.

first they emailed me and then to phone interview. first 15 min the guy spoke about the position and another 15 min the guy asked me about myself and questions.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Zynga.

The process was simple, had an on campus interview followed by a phone round where I had three people interview me. I was asked a couple of very generic game development questions, inheritance concepts, Java vs C++. They also asked me about algorithms, big O, big Omega, big Theta. I was then waited for about 2 weeks before I got to hear from them, unfortunately the answer was a no.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Zynga.

Met a representative from Zynga at an infosession and gave my resume. Zynga scheduled an interview with me a few weeks after. Had one 30-minute interview. Spent the first half going over resume, and the second half was a couple of technical questions (one definition one and one coding one).

Interview Questions
    • As long as you know your data structures well (especially linked lists), you should be fine for the technical questions. Nothing excessively complicated was asked -- as long as you have the basics down, you should be fine. Interviewer provided helpful hints if stuck.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Zynga.

Elaborate interview process. They asked me about different question from the same Crack the Coding interview book. Which almost every interviewer uses.

Not very innovative questions, but companies are looking for clarity of thought rather than skills these days.

Interview Questions
    • Not very difficult question. Engineers impressed with a variety of skills.   Answer Question

Other goals.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Zynga in August 2014.

I applied through a recruiter. I was invited for a phone screen. The phone screen was done by a principal engineer. He was friendly. He asked me some basic C++ questions like vf tables, static_cast, dynamic_cast, reinterpret_case and dynamic cast and a little about my mentoring skills. The next day I got an email for an onsite. The onsite was with 2 directors, 1 architect and a VP, all senior folks since I am 10+ years experiences. Only one interview was on coding. He asked me how to do in order traversal without recursion. 2 of them were mainly on my design, debugging and architectural skills and one on my personality like what I like to work and what I am looking in my next job. Everything went well and I got an offer.

I was interviewed for a principal engineer role, but when they made me the offer they hired me at Senior Software Engineer level. This is a little mysterious. They are very generous in terms of perks.

Interview Questions
    • 1) Different types of casts in C++
      2) In order traversal without recursion
      3) If an iphone app crashes often how will you debug
      4) Design for gameboard leaders for a game in zynga
      5) Design chess game and scale it
      6) Design for C compiler (since I mentioned it on my resume)

Answer Question
    They started at 145K base and I kept quite and they bumped it up to 150K.

I got 16000 RSUS and 150K base, 15% conditional bonus every year.

Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Zynga in August 2014.

After applying through a contact of mine at the company, I got an email response from a recruiter within a day. We scheduled a phone interview with the hiring manager who called right on time and had all the right questions you would expect. Again within a day, I got another email from a person in HR who informed me about the positive outcome of the phone interview and scheduled an onsite interview with 6 people (consecutively) in about a week.
    I got there on time and the first person on the interviewer list was there to pick me up, also very much on time. Each interview with the six different people was on time, everybody was well prepared and asked very targeted questions. The second to last person on the list was the HR person again who clearly said that everybody like me and that I will hear from them in three days time.
    Now here comes the very odd part: Everything up to this point was very professionally and clearly a first rated experience of an interview process the way it should be. But when three days past and I didn't hear from them, I let about a week go by and then sent a direct email to two of the interviewers (NOT through jobvite) to get a status update. I was clear that I didn't "expect" any particular outcome, just an update so I can organize MY plans accordingly. No answer! Again, another email several days later: no answer!

My point here is: Zynga is very good with the interview process itself but then they are loosing it big time by letting the candidate hang there without closure. I gave them a considerable portion of my time, including taking off from work, and I do expect a professional attitude, even (or especially) when there is no offer forthcoming.

Interview Questions
    • What do you expect to contribute to the company during the first six months?   View Answer