Zynga Interview Questions

Updated Sep 13, 2014
Updated Sep 13, 2014

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Zynga in October 2013.

The interview process was difficult. I applied on campus, after which I got an on-campus interview. The interview was simple overall; they didn't ask any technical questions, but asked me about my experiences and went over my resume. This was followed by a phone interview, which was completely technical. The interview was in 3 rounds, followed one after another, with different interviewers. All questions were technical, followed by discussion about my projects and things on my resume.

Interview Questions
    • What data structure would you use to design a scrabble game?   Answer Question

Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Zynga in August 2014.

After applying through a contact of mine at the company, I got an email response from a recruiter within a day. We scheduled a phone interview with the hiring manager who called right on time and had all the right questions you would expect. Again within a day, I got another email from a person in HR who informed me about the positive outcome of the phone interview and scheduled an onsite interview with 6 people (consecutively) in about a week.
    I got there on time and the first person on the interviewer list was there to pick me up, also very much on time. Each interview with the six different people was on time, everybody was well prepared and asked very targeted questions. The second to last person on the list was the HR person again who clearly said that everybody like me and that I will hear from them in three days time.
    Now here comes the very odd part: Everything up to this point was very professionally and clearly a first rated experience of an interview process the way it should be. But when three days past and I didn't hear from them, I let about a week go by and then sent a direct email to two of the interviewers (NOT through jobvite) to get a status update. I was clear that I didn't "expect" any particular outcome, just an update so I can organize MY plans accordingly. No answer! Again, another email several days later: no answer!

My point here is: Zynga is very good with the interview process itself but then they are loosing it big time by letting the candidate hang there without closure. I gave them a considerable portion of my time, including taking off from work, and I do expect a professional attitude, even (or especially) when there is no offer forthcoming.

Interview Questions
    • What do you expect to contribute to the company during the first six months?   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Zynga in August 2014.

I applied through a recruiter. I was invited for a phone screen. The phone screen was done by a principal engineer. He was friendly. He asked me some basic C++ questions like vf tables, static_cast, dynamic_cast, reinterpret_case and dynamic cast and a little about my mentoring skills. The next day I got an email for an onsite. The onsite was with 2 directors, 1 architect and a VP, all senior folks since I am 10+ years experiences. Only one interview was on coding. He asked me how to do in order traversal without recursion. 2 of them were mainly on my design, debugging and architectural skills and one on my personality like what I like to work and what I am looking in my next job. Everything went well and I got an offer.

I was interviewed for a principal engineer role, but when they made me the offer they hired me at Senior Software Engineer level. This is a little mysterious. They are very generous in terms of perks.

Interview Questions
    • 1) Different types of casts in C++
      2) In order traversal without recursion
      3) If an iphone app crashes often how will you debug
      4) Design for gameboard leaders for a game in zynga
      5) Design chess game and scale it
      6) Design for C compiler (since I mentioned it on my resume)
        Answer Question
    They started at 145K base and I kept quite and they bumped it up to 150K.

I got 16000 RSUS and 150K base, 15% conditional bonus every year.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Zynga in March 2014.

Fast interview process. Nice people. From the time the recruiter called to the time I was interviewing in person was 2 weeks. They are very sure about what they know so do not challenge their thoughts or comments even if they are wrong. This might be true for any interview but especially here. I don't think they like disagreements or differing views. You must always support your views with "proof" which makes it difficult working outside of data and stats and really getting creative and out of the box.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult. The only thing you have to remember is that they really want you to be playing their games before you go there. You MUST be a big fan of their games. They will ask you about your levels, collections, etc.   Answer Question

Work/life balance was poor. Looked like everyone was always stressed out. People looked paranoid.

Technical Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Zynga.

Applied, internal recruiter followed up the next day to set up a phone call. Phone call went great, then was asked to come on-site and met with management. I met with the recruiting manager who blatantly said that she does not give praise, recognition, or "atta boys." She said the only time she really interacts with her staff is when they are "doing it wrong." I asked her why I should consider Zynga over other companies, and she avoided the question, simply stating, "we're just that good." It would seem Zynga is relying too much on their brand to attract candidates, and not anything else. At a current stock price hovering around $3.00/share, there isn't much incentive.

Interview Questions
    • "What do you not want to do in 5 years?" I wasn't prepared for the question, so I hesitated a bit.   Answer Question

Ad Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Zynga in February 2011.

1) Recruiter phone screening
    2) On site face to face interview, at least 4 to 5 people from related fields (hiring team, partner team and etc). Each one last for about 30 minutes

Interview Questions
    • People say Zynga doesn't have any culture. What is your take while doing your research?   View Answer

Data Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Zynga in August 2013.

Had a phone interview with the recruiter and then a second phone interview with another analyst. I had some SQL experience, but my SQL was just not at the level they wanted. If you're applying for this KNOW YOUR SQL.

The interview with the analyst consisted of standard questions about my current position and my background, and then when we got to the SQL portion he had me rate my skill out of 10. After that he started asking me to verbally say SQL queries for different things. From basic select to some calculation/math type queries. These were the ones where I realized my SQL knowledge just wasn't where they wanted it.

Interview Questions
    • I can't remember the exact question, but it had to do with calculating the percentage of paid users in a game using 2 separate tables in sql.   Answer Question

Strategy Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Zynga.

Phone screen with potential manager, then brought in for four in-person interviews with members of various teams. The interviewers ran late, they were communicating in-view with the HR manager for the req in between the interviews, and they never officially declined me for the position. Overall a bad experience suggesting that the company's reputation for a bad culture were accurate.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Zynga in July 2011.

The whole process was very strange and convoluted. They sent me a job req for a game producer in San Diego--where I wanted to go, so I was excited. I applied for the job thru their JobVite system. It took them 2 months to get back to me. When I came in, they told me it was for a project manager in SF. Big difference!

Interview Questions
    • Typical questions on project management. I just wish they were clear about the location, as it is very important to most people.   Answer Question
    I negotiated more money and stock options very easily

Human Resources Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Zynga in May 2011.

Fairly standard process--the recruiter reached out to me and we had an initial conversation, followed by a follow-up to verify background/experience and salary expectations. I came in for a day of in-person interviews (five total--two HR managers and three recruiters).

All in all, I found all three recruiters with whom I interviewed to be smug and self-satisfied, and their questions were amateurish. The two HR managers were better and more insightful. All told, I didn't get a compelling sense from the interviewers as to why I would want to work there. I was on the fence about the role, as my background in healthcare HR and I had heard horror stories about the Zynga culture, but I was interested in at least exploring the opportunity.

I never had communication (yes or no) from the recruiter afterwards, despite several follow-ups on my part. I would have declined, but I still found it unprofessional for the recruiter to not close the loop after I spent a day on site.

The interviews took place shortly before the IPO; I suspect that Zynga recruiters are a bit more humble today when interacting with candidates.

Interview Questions
    • "We work really hard here...what would you do when you weren't able to finish everything before a deadline?"   View Answer

Worked for Zynga? Contribute to the Community!