Zynga Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 22, 2014
190 interviews

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Zynga in March 2014.

Fast interview process. Nice people. From the time the recruiter called to the time I was interviewing in person was 2 weeks. They are very sure about what they know so do not challenge their thoughts or comments even if they are wrong. This might be true for any interview but especially here. I don't think they like disagreements or differing views. You must always support your views with "proof" which makes it difficult working outside of data and stats and really getting creative and out of the box.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult. The only thing you have to remember is that they really want you to be playing their games before you go there. You MUST be a big fan of their games. They will ask you about your levels, collections, etc.   Answer Question

Work/life balance was poor. Looked like everyone was always stressed out. People looked paranoid.

Technical Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Zynga.

Applied, internal recruiter followed up the next day to set up a phone call. Phone call went great, then was asked to come on-site and met with management. I met with the recruiting manager who blatantly said that she does not give praise, recognition, or "atta boys." She said the only time she really interacts with her staff is when they are "doing it wrong." I asked her why I should consider Zynga over other companies, and she avoided the question, simply stating, "we're just that good." It would seem Zynga is relying too much on their brand to attract candidates, and not anything else. At a current stock price hovering around $3.00/share, there isn't much incentive.

Interview Questions
    • "What do you not want to do in 5 years?" I wasn't prepared for the question, so I hesitated a bit.   Answer Question

Ad Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Zynga in February 2011.

1) Recruiter phone screening
    2) On site face to face interview, at least 4 to 5 people from related fields (hiring team, partner team and etc). Each one last for about 30 minutes

Interview Questions
    • People say Zynga doesn't have any culture. What is your take while doing your research?   View Answer

Data Analyst Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Zynga in August 2013.

Had a phone interview with the recruiter and then a second phone interview with another analyst. I had some SQL experience, but my SQL was just not at the level they wanted. If you're applying for this KNOW YOUR SQL.

The interview with the analyst consisted of standard questions about my current position and my background, and then when we got to the SQL portion he had me rate my skill out of 10. After that he started asking me to verbally say SQL queries for different things. From basic select to some calculation/math type queries. These were the ones where I realized my SQL knowledge just wasn't where they wanted it.

Interview Questions
    • I can't remember the exact question, but it had to do with calculating the percentage of paid users in a game using 2 separate tables in sql.   Answer Question

Strategy Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Zynga.

Phone screen with potential manager, then brought in for four in-person interviews with members of various teams. The interviewers ran late, they were communicating in-view with the HR manager for the req in between the interviews, and they never officially declined me for the position. Overall a bad experience suggesting that the company's reputation for a bad culture were accurate.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Zynga in July 2011.

The whole process was very strange and convoluted. They sent me a job req for a game producer in San Diego--where I wanted to go, so I was excited. I applied for the job thru their JobVite system. It took them 2 months to get back to me. When I came in, they told me it was for a project manager in SF. Big difference!

Interview Questions
    • Typical questions on project management. I just wish they were clear about the location, as it is very important to most people.   Answer Question
    I negotiated more money and stock options very easily

Human Resources Manager Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Zynga in May 2011.

Fairly standard process--the recruiter reached out to me and we had an initial conversation, followed by a follow-up to verify background/experience and salary expectations. I came in for a day of in-person interviews (five total--two HR managers and three recruiters).

All in all, I found all three recruiters with whom I interviewed to be smug and self-satisfied, and their questions were amateurish. The two HR managers were better and more insightful. All told, I didn't get a compelling sense from the interviewers as to why I would want to work there. I was on the fence about the role, as my background in healthcare HR and I had heard horror stories about the Zynga culture, but I was interested in at least exploring the opportunity.

I never had communication (yes or no) from the recruiter afterwards, despite several follow-ups on my part. I would have declined, but I still found it unprofessional for the recruiter to not close the loop after I spent a day on site.

The interviews took place shortly before the IPO; I suspect that Zynga recruiters are a bit more humble today when interacting with candidates.

Interview Questions
    • "We work really hard here...what would you do when you weren't able to finish everything before a deadline?"   View Answer

Arist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Zynga in May 2010.

3 Phone interviews and 2 In-person interviews

Artist tend to jump right into the salary offered. Think carefully on what you are getting, do your research. Also, will you receive a stipend? A starting bonus? Equity? Etc.

Product Management Intern Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Zynga in March 2014.

Applied in January, and received email about arranging a first-round interview in March. Smooth process overall.

Interview Questions
    • What features would you add or change to your favorite Zynga game? Take me through the user flow.   Answer Question
    • If you had to pick the most important metrics for a dashboard you're building, what would they be and why?   Answer Question
    • Let's say DAU is increasing while MAU is stagnant. What actionable insights can you draw from this?   Answer Question

Gamer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Harrisonburg, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Harrisonburg, VA

I interviewed through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at Zynga in October 2010.

Play the game as hard as can.

Interview Questions

Worked for Zynga? Contribute to the Community!