Zynga

Average Difficulty
15 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Zynga in November 2013.

Interview Details – It seems in light of their recent struggles, Zynga may not receive the number of applications they once did. They've abandoned technical phone screens and now promote new grad engineer applicants directly to the onsite round after a recruiter screen.

Interview Question – Three rounds of technical interviews and two fit/behavioral interviews. Typical CTCI problems, the hardest of which were:
1. Turn a binary tree into a Linked List
2. Find the largest contiguous subsequence of an array of ints
3. Print all permutations of a string

In the fit interviews, they want to see a passion for gaming as well as large group project experience. Interviewers were mostly friendly. Play a few Zynga games and be ready to talk about why you like them.
  Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Got offer from a company that has a stock price that is 100x Zynga's

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Zynga.

Interview Details – Applied online and through Campus Recruitment.
The Oncampus interview was awesome. The guy was friendly, asked me in detail about my courses, expectations. Why Zynga, what I could contribute. Languages I know and how the shift form IT to Comp Sci had been.
Went ahead to a 2nd tech round phone interview, where a scary sounding person who wouldnt budge from his weird questions took the interview. Asked me to write code and then read it back to him. Very inefficient process which did not work well for either of us.

Interview Question – How do you think google finishes its search for you, as in how are prompts or suggestions generated.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Zynga.

Interview Details – Started off with an on campus interview at my university - 1 coding question and asked about projects. Was called for another phone interview which had to be rescheduled thrice as the interviewer did not show up each time. So when it finally happened, asked another coding question on a shared editor and some basic HR questions. Got the results in a few days and was flown to an onsite interview at SF. Everything was quite smooth from there, had 4 interviews - 2 with technical developers,1 with a manager and 1 with HR. Questions asked were quite standard - data structures, link-lists, hash tables, language specific and differences.

Interview Question – Not really. All the questions asked were pretty standard.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Zynga in November 2012.

Interview Details – Started off with a campus 1 on 1 interview. They then asked me to come on site to meet with engineers on the team. There were 4 interviews, with tests ranging from simple bit manipulation to big-O analysis. Overall average difficulty.

Interview Question – Design a class to handle hashing.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Zynga.

Interview Details – I had one phone interview followed by a fly-out interview with about seven people that lasted all day. The phone interview consisted of a series of questions about CS fundamentals -- but no programming questions -- followed by a brain teaser and a few behavioral questions.

The in-person interview was obviously more rigorous, but being confident in the fundamentals and studying Programming Interviews Exposed was more than enough to prepare. Three of the interviews consisted of programming questions; one had a design/architecture focus; one centered on explaining CS concepts; and the others were largely behavioral.

Interview Question – Write a function that implements division without dividing or multiplying.   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – The offer I received was better than I was expecting, so I didn't negotiate. When I mentioned that I was considering an offer from another company, though, I was asked if there was anything they could do that would convince me to go with them.

Very Easy Interview

Software Engineer New Grad

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Zynga.

Interview Details – First round, simple programming questions
Some basic HR questions
He asked me to Improve the code which I had written

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Software Engineer New Grad

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Zynga in October 2012.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume last semester on our school's job website. Then I got selected into the on campus interview a few weeks later. The interviewer seemed very concerned about my Mechanical Engineering background and asked a lot about my resume. I felt not happy when he even did not give a chance for a test.

Interview Question – None coding interview questions involved.   Answer Question

Software Engineer New Grad

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Zynga.

Interview Details – After an info session at my school, I submitted a resume. They quickly got back to me that I had an on campus interview. I interviewed a couple weeks later with the same person from the info session. He seemed to think I met the criteria they were looking for. A few days later I received an e-mail that said I had been selected for an on-site interview in San Francisco. The HR people were nice, and I waited about a month to go.

Once I arrived, there was a lot to do. 5 interviews back to back. Nothing very interesting was discussed, and I was expected to have a strong passion for their games. The questions in the first 3 interviews were typical of what I expected, but the 4th interviewer had something to prove. He had a laptop with more than a dozen technical questions. I didn't appreciate this very much as I'd already been plagued with 3 hour long interviews as well as a 30 minute pre-interview with my HR representative for the day.

Afterwards was an interview to place me, but I had lost interest after having lunch with a not-very-enthusiastic person. Most people seemed to love Zynga because it wasn't a very demanding environment. I was looking for something a little more technical in terms of the overall product.

Interview Questions

• What's 2^10. This guy had tons of questions that he expected quick answers to. None of your answers are good enough for him.   View Answer
  • You have a deck of cards and randomly draw two cards at a time. If you get 2 blacks, black gets a point. If you have 2 reds, red gets a point. If you have red and black, neither get a point. What is the percentage chance that both score the same.   View Answer

San Francisco, CA

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Zynga in April 2012.

Interview Details – The first interview was a simple phone interview with basic HR questions on interests and past projects. The on-site interview consisted on 3 interviews: 2 technical and 1 behavioural. The people were very nice and friendly.

Interview Question – Discuss a challenging project you worked on   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Zynga in December 2010.

Interview Details – Seem everything is not prepared very well. I didn't get the schedule until the interview day. The interviewers I talked are not the ones I support to meet. But the office is really awesome and offers great food. I got the feedback 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions

Worked for Zynga? Contribute to the Community!