a2z Development Center

Updated Nov 12, 2014
Updated Nov 12, 2014

3.5

Summer Software Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at a2z Development Center in October 2014.

I applied online and answered some basic screening questions through email and then waited for a response. Generally what I have heard, engineering interns pop up on the radar of recruiters after their junior year because they have serious advanced course work under their belt. Really try and do projects on your own to stand out and demonstrate proof of concept.

Interview Questions
    • The email interview I went through had basic screen questions, nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at a2z Development Center.

Initial call with headhunter who was from outside the company. Then phone interview with hiring manager. From the start, the headhunter stated that this position had interviewed countless candidates and the Amazon hiring manager was a bit difficult to deal with so be prepared for that.

Interview Questions
    • Specific scenario of how to advertise an app on Amazon even though other items produced higher profits. How to prove it out.   View Answer

Senior User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at a2z Development Center in April 2014.

Started with a resume submission via the website. A recruiter followed up a few days later asking me to submit a portfolio. Approximately a week later I was asked to set up a phone interview and finally a week or so after that I was invited for an in-person interview. The in-person interview was five 45 minute long sessions along with a 50 minute portfolio presentation and a lunch non-interview.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't a "most difficult" question in particular   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at a2z Development Center in March 2014.

5 interviews, lasting all day. Ridiculous academic-type algorithm questions... nothing that would be useful in the real world as a software engineer. It seemed more geared toward a new college graduate than someone with real world experience. Complete waste of time, for me at least. This position was supposed to be for a level 2 or 3 software engineer but there wasn't a single question related to anything I've worked on in 8 years as a SWE.

Interview Questions
    • Algorithms, algorithms, algorithms... all functional type stuff, no OO stuff that people use everyday in the software engineering world. Seemed like all academic type questions and not real-world uses.   Answer Question

Software Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at a2z Development Center in February 2014.

I had 6 individual 45 minute interviews, with very little break due to the recruitment team not being organised.
    When I arrived there was no one to meet me or tell me where I should be, so everything ran late.

Software Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at a2z Development Center.

I do not recommend that you waste your time here. Long all day interview, no breaks, not even lunch. Very unprofessional, HR was terrible, bragging about how good they were a hacking things together. Yes we know, your system is down a lot. They want coders, not managers or architects. Positive, I did get a free trip to SF for the weekend.

Interview Questions
    • Write a binary search. Are you kidding, you the interviewer did just get out of college.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at a2z Development Center in February 2013.

1 phone interview followed by on site call. Phone call question was a basic coding problem on arrays and some knowledge based questions. The onsite was with 5 interviewers- 3 of them asked coding, object oriented questions followed by a behavioral/lunch interview and finally, a resume-based/behavioral interview.

Interview Questions
    • Print a 2d-character matrix in spiral order, design a chess game, Identify patterns in a 2d-boolean matrix.   View Answers (2)

Software Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at a2z Development Center in July 2012.

I got contacted by their in house recruiter. After discussing my background, they arranged a phone interview with a software manger. Pretty nice guy, was excited about the project and his team. They called me to arrange a phone interview with HR, I guess for cultural fit. She asked a bunch of expected experience and situational questions. You can read about amazon culture to get prepared for this sort of interview. Then I heard nothing for more than a week and had to reach out to them. At that point they said they're not interested to continue the process. They did not provide any reason saying it's their policy not to! As a manager that has conducted hundreds of interviews, I felt they're acting amateurish, maybe it's part of their culture not to respect people once deemed not useful for them. I don't know if the rest of Amazon companies are the same, or this is the case for a2z Development.

Suggestions for a2z:
    Get back to candidate in a timely manner regardless of the outcome.
    If you decided not to offer, provide some honest and helpful feedback. The candidate has invested time in preparing and talking to you, so this is what you can do in return.
    You might have some overworked, less experienced hiring managers, but it's HR's job to cover cases like this.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at a2z Development Center in May 2012.

Applied through their website, they also came to our college for a info session and collected resumes. Later I received a mail from them to schedule two back to back phone interviews each 30 mins long. One of it was a programming exercise and other was a technical interview with lot of ques on datastructures.

Software Developer In Test - Desktop Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at a2z Development Center in May 2012.

The interview process is standard at a2z - Phone conversation w/ a recruiter followed by a technical interview over phone w/ one of the engineers, followed by on-site interviews.

Interview Questions
    • What is stack and queue? In Comp Architecture give examples for stack and queues   Answer Question
    • What is a difference between a process and a thread?   Answer Question
    • Write a program to match pairs of parenthesis (), in a given string, ex: 2(((&-))( ,..)   View Answer