alliantgroup, LP Interview Questions

Updated Oct 15, 2014
Updated Oct 15, 2014

2.5

Project Associate-Law Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at alliantgroup, LP.

I applied online for the Project associate-law position. I'm a recent law school graduate. I had the first phone interview which was very quick and I the recruiter immediately set up a skype interview for the next day. During the skype interview, it seemed as though the recruiter had made up her mind about me within the first minute and was rushing to get off for the rest of the time. She did not ask me if I had any questions and told me at the end that she would give my resume to upper management. I didn't get the position but feel like I never really had a shot. It seems that people who are moved on to the next phase of interviewing find out during the interview. That wasn't the case with me. I can't understand why the recruiter never gave me a fair shot. Maybe they hear about how easy to get a job there and are trying to rectify the situation.

Interview Questions
    • It was fairly easy questions. "What made you want to be a lawyer? Tell me about yourself? What brings you to houston"   Answer Question

Business Development Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at alliantgroup, LP in September 2014.

Remember this, "Everything that glitters isn't gold!!!" If you're looking to jump through hoops with a pretentious, unrefined, slackened professionally corporation then this is it. I went through a tumultuous two week interview process with this company. I applied for several positions and received a call back in what seemed to be minutes after hitting submit. The recruiter was professional and eager to meet for an interview. The next day we met for over an hour and she painted this remarkable picture of this company. She was so impressed from our interview that she wanted me to meet with the manager that day, however it conflicted so we agreed on a later date. That same evening near 7p.m. I received an email from her asking to meet with him the following evening, 5 p.m. to be exact, I agreed even after seeing horrible reviews. The following afternoon I received a call from one of the coordinators asking to reschedule, and once again I agreed. There were several emails exchanged in the time frame of my first interview and "2nd" interview of how excited the manager was to speak with me, impressed and wanted to hear about my background, and in fact how she was going to move forward and send my things in for a background check. I promptly walked into the managers office to wait for our interview and was taken aback by the gallon of Crown Royal, Vodka, and Red Bull on his in office bar. In walked the manager and I stood to introduce myself and he immediately appeared cold. No small talk right to it and asked, "Why should I hire you?" Confidently I a replied and things went far south quick! Needless to say I was dismissed after a 2 minute spill of 'how I would be a better fit for another department' and kindly escorted out. I informed the recruiter of what took place, and they setup this "mock" interview just to save face. I am still shocked that after this circus of a process, the recruiter still ask if I would be interested in future opportunities.

Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at alliantgroup, LP.

I was told the interview process would be quick and painless. The initial interview went well, the second was rushed. While I already had one foot out of the door because of the other reviews, I do not think I was given a chance.

Data Entry Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at alliantgroup, LP.

The two people interviewing me looked dead. The woman who was there for 7 years literally told me that sometimes she doesn't think she can make it through the day but then there are some good days. The other guy only started working there 6 weeks prior. They barely asked me any questions. And kept asking me if I had questions and soon it became me interviewing them and I did not want to be a part of that company.

Interview Questions
    • so why accounting? The staffing service I was using did not tell me it was an accounting job. I just thought it was a data entry position and I absolutely hate accounting, so I was caught off guard.   Answer Question

Project Associate - Law Interview

They initially contacted me via phone. The interviewer did not seem to understand the timeline for the bar admission process. She asked me general questions and scheduled my follow up. My second interview was via skype. The interviewer was drinking wine. They kept pushing my interview back (at least twice) and I was not able to talk to someone until 6pm that evening.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to be ranked and how did you fair against your opponents?   Answer Question

Project Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at alliantgroup, LP in June 2014.

Had an interview at this company, the company seemed to be okay at first glance. i.e. the building was beautiful and there was a lot of visible communication between employees; there were no cubicles (casual environment). At the beginning of the interview they walk you through the office. The recruiter sits you in a glass room while they go into another room and discuss you whist pretending to wait for your interviewer to arrive. During the interview they do a quick test of your computer skills, so know your excel, it will help you to excel at it! Ask a few basic interview questions, i.e. why alliant? a way you handled a difficult situation at your last job? one negative characteristic? etc.

Interview Questions
    • If I give you 20 hours of work during our busiest quarter and say it must be completed by the end of the day will you be able to complete it?

The questions were not at all analytical, nor technical.
        View Answer

Project Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at alliantgroup, LP in May 2014.

A complete waste of my time. I applied online with my resume, without a cover letter. So, I was very surprised to hear from them.

They are likely aware of the negative reviews on this web site and the comments suggesting that they will hire anyone. They now appear to be interviewing individuals without actual interest in hiring them to alter that reputation. HR (or the "talent acquisition associate") contacted me. The talent acquisition associate interviewed me twice (once by phone and once by video, as I don't live in Houston). She was like an extremely aggressive (but very friendly) saleswoman. At the conclusion of the video interview, she arranged for me to have another video interview with two directors two days later.

Two days later, twenty-minutes late, and one director short, the most discourteous woman I have ever had the misfortune of interviewing with appeared on-screen for the interview. Do not forget her title and mistakenly call her a Project Manager or something other than a DIRECTOR, it offends her greatly and she'll be sure to bite your head off if you do. My encounter with this interviewer is likely indicative of the unsavory characters who run this shop.

Interview Questions
    • None - but extremely turned off when I was told I would be "digging, digging, digging" to find those tax credits.   Answer Question

Consulting Team Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at alliantgroup, LP in May 2014.

Simple, and a total waste of time.
    Got call, and the 'talent acquisition' person said they had received my resume 2 weeks ago. It was a fairly brief phone screen. At the end of the call, I was told that 'our hiring process is quick', and so offered to have an in-person interview in 2 days. I suggested the next day, and that worked out well. A couple of hours later, received an email confirmation with a full description of the role, as well as location of the office.

Once I made it to the Elevator lobby, and pulled on the glass door to get into the office, I had to wait for the receptionist to walk over and open it for me. The lobby was not particularly huge, it just seemed cavernous and sparse. There was a receptionist desk, and all of 2 leather chairs, facing each other, in a space that could probably fit a 'starter house'. The 2 receptionists were extremely nice though.

That's when it got weird. Not way out there, but just 'off'. One HR rep came by, confused as to who I was, and asked if I had a resume. She assured me that while I wasn't on her calendar, I probably was on the other HR rep.
    A few minutes later, she came back and escorted me to a tiny office with glass doors. The HR person I had spoken to the day before arrived about 10 minutes later and after briefly sitting in the only other chair in the room, decided it just wasn't right. So she left and came back with a much bigger, leather chair.
    After she was comfortable, she asked what I knew about the company. I thought it odd that she neither added anything to what I had said, nor asked if I had any questions about the company. Most of the time, people take at least a little bit of pride in their company and want to share some insight, but this wasn't the case.
    And then the normal questions commenced, for about 10 minutes. She clearly had no recollection of our conversation the day before, and hadn't looked at my resume that had presumably been given to her.
    I was then told that PM work at AG was nothing like PM work anywhere else, and so she really didn't see me in the PM role. I mentioned that she had suggested the Consulting Team Director role, and that was the description in the email that I had received from her. She quickly agreed, and said she'd need to take my salary requirements 'upstairs' to management.
    And that was it. Not even a hint of , 'do you have any questions', etc.

Interview Questions
    • Totally unexpected question: "What other jobs are you applying for elsewhere?" That one threw me.   Answer Question

Director of Consulting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at alliantgroup, LP.

Applied online. Got a call from the recruiter. She was nice and on time.
    She asked me a few questions, nothing about my past experience really, gave me little information about what was expected and how my past work experience would align or not align with the company.
    I get scheduled for an interview the same week.
    I met with a Sr. Associate, nice lady who herself had only been at the company for 7 months.

We talked about my background, and what I was currently doing then it was my turn to ask about the role. I said as a Director what would be expected of me? She said well you wouldn't be coming in as a Director, you would be promoted to that position after the 90 day evaluation. Hmm?
    I said ok, so during the 90 days what am I doing? P&L for the department? Scheduling and Slotting of projects, managing Utilization rates? (all Director type of work)
    She said no no no, nothing like that. You would be trained on our applications and our processes and then would see if I was meeting their expectations of being one of the Top Performers.
    I said ok, so basically following someone around, watching how they work within their projects and helping them with getting information from the clients. Her-Yes. Hmm?
    I said "ok, what is that position then called, I have not spoken with anyone from HR so what is that title then coming into this position? Sr. Consultant, Consultant, Client Engagement Leader?
    She said no no, it would probably be something like an "Associate" title. Doing Associate work.
    Hmm? Hmm?

So after the 90 days I ask, I can then assume the role of Director of Consulting, managing other consultants and a team, correct?
    Her...well yes, if you are one of the top performers within the 90 days.
    Now at this point I have not asked, nor was it ever brought up but these 90 days and Top Performer comments led me to believe one thing....either Sales or a Quota matching work.
    I said, so there is no Director position for this?
    She said yes there is, (and we said together) only after the 90 days show I am one of the Top Performers.
    Yes I get it.
    She then leans back in her chair and asks me, do you really want to work here? I am not so sure you are a good fit for this position.
    I said how so? She said, well I am not too sure you 'want to do' this TYPE of work. (which was never clearly outlined to me).
    I said I submitted the application for work, and I am here, so YOU tell me, what is YOUR hesitation or concern about me working here. Do you think I can do the job?
    She said, yes I am going to recommend you to my Manager, we will call you tomorrow or at the latest Friday to talk with you more about the role and you can ask him the same questions you asked me. I said ok.

Then she says, I am going to give you my number, I want you to go home and think this over.
    ????
    Think what over I ask her, 'whether or not you want to work here, whether or not you think you can do the work'. I say, the role of a Director, managing consultants I have and I can do the work.
    This "Associate" work I am sure I can but need more info about what it requires from me.
    Why are you asking me whether or not I want to work here or not?
    She said, well just take my number and call me and let me know if you are ready or think you want to work here.
    She gave me her number as she did not have a correct business card with her correct Name/Phone/or Address on it.
    We left it at that.
    <I didn't call her........they didn't call me either> It has been 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult question was posed by me to the interviewer.
      What can AG do better? She said employee retention. I asked so you have a high turnover rate, she said yes. She also said we can do better at finding Manager/leads. I asked how so. She said we tend to promote our Top Performers and it does not work very well.
      I said that is the best way to disintegrate a team. She asked me how so? I said just because you are a Top Performer that does not mean you know how to Lead or Manage people. It just means you are good at what you do.
      She said yes I agree, thus us looking outside for Leaders.
        View Answer

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at alliantgroup, LP.

If this is what you are looking for, then it is probably a good place to work. Long hours, moderate to low pay, and a semi friendly environment. It seemed very much like a place that would try to "look great to new hires" and then be neglectful of you once you began to work for them.

Interview Questions

I felt that I would be taking a decent paying job from someone who would appreciate it more/work harder. I knew if I went, I wouldn't give my all for any reason other than making a higher salary.