alliantgroup, LP

Relevance Date Difficulty

Project Associate-Attorney Interview

Project Associate-Attorney
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at alliantgroup, LP in November 2013.

Interview Details – Interview process was great. I was contacted by Talent Integration by phone after applying online and asked to interview the next day. Upon arrival, I met with the director of Talent, who was very positive and straight forward. She explained the departments and corporate structure. After talking with me about my background and work history and goals, she scheduled additional interviews for the next day.

The next day, I met with the COO first, then the Managing Director and Director after a brief lunch break. Everyone was very inquisitive and genuinely interested in what I was saying. The questions were very fair, and they told me a nice background and working history of the Company, with honesty about the job requirements, time commitment and qualifications. The conversation flowed very nicely and it wasn't a stuffy interview atmosphere. I enjoyed the conversation and felt like a good relationship was being built.

After meeting with everyone, I was given a verbal offer, and explained the company's salary and benefit's structure. No pressure was put on me to accept at that moment, but I did verbally accept while in the office and confirm later in writing. My start date was set for 2 weeks later.

On the way out, I was walked to the COO's office to tell him that I would be joining the company. He challenged me to be the best and said they were happy to have me in the team!

Afterwards, the team followed up with paperwork and also sending congratulations for passing the bar. Great experience that put me in a great job!

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I did not partake in a negotiation phase.

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at alliantgroup, LP in November 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring process is pretty straight forward. You have a phone interview, then you go in to the office for an in person interview. If you're from out of town, then you do all your interview in person. My best recommendation is to not be intimidated by the office or people interviewing you. Just be confident about yourself and what you have to offer.

Interview Question – They won't ask you anything crazy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They will offer you a high salary, but don't get lured in by the money because the company expects a lot from you for their compensation. Very high stress position that requires long hours.

Houston, TX

I interviewed at alliantgroup, LP in February 2013.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume and a detailed cover letter and received a call two days later. I was called in for an interview the day after. I met with a recruiter, a Senior Managing Director, and the COO. The interviews were all about me and my background. I was able to ask questions about the firm and I received candid answers.

Interview Question – How many gallons of gas does the city of Houston use on a yearly basis?   Answer Question

Project Associate-Engineering Interview

Project Associate-Engineering

I applied online - interviewed at alliantgroup, LP in February 2014.

Interview Details – I received a phone call inquiring if I was still on available on the job market. This most likely was attributed to the fact that I submitted my resume at a college career fair several months earlier. I informed them that I was still searching for a job opportunity and I would be interested in what they may have to offer. They never followed up with me after that despite the fact that I attempted to contact them to follow up. Several days afterwards I decided to directly apply online and I ironically received an e-mail and phone call the following day stating their expressed interest. From there I was scheduled a phone interview that was stated to last up to an hour. However, 5 minutes into the interview the interviewer said she would speak to her manager about my qualifications and I never heard back. Their recruiting process is largely voided of any sense of ethical professionalism. I should have heeded the actual reviews expressed on here. Lesson learnt.

Interview Question – Only asked about my work experience with clients. Informed that there were subjectively no long term client interactions, but I had experience with interacting with client nonetheless. Then the interview ended.   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Consulting Team Director Interview

Consulting Team Director

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at alliantgroup, LP in May 2014.

Interview Details – Simple, and a total waste of time.
Got call, and the 'talent acquisition' person said they had received my resume 2 weeks ago. It was a fairly brief phone screen. At the end of the call, I was told that 'our hiring process is quick', and so offered to have an in-person interview in 2 days. I suggested the next day, and that worked out well. A couple of hours later, received an email confirmation with a full description of the role, as well as location of the office.

Once I made it to the Elevator lobby, and pulled on the glass door to get into the office, I had to wait for the receptionist to walk over and open it for me. The lobby was not particularly huge, it just seemed cavernous and sparse. There was a receptionist desk, and all of 2 leather chairs, facing each other, in a space that could probably fit a 'starter house'. The 2 receptionists were extremely nice though.

That's when it got weird. Not way out there, but just 'off'. One HR rep came by, confused as to who I was, and asked if I had a resume. She assured me that while I wasn't on her calendar, I probably was on the other HR rep.
A few minutes later, she came back and escorted me to a tiny office with glass doors. The HR person I had spoken to the day before arrived about 10 minutes later and after briefly sitting in the only other chair in the room, decided it just wasn't right. So she left and came back with a much bigger, leather chair.
After she was comfortable, she asked what I knew about the company. I thought it odd that she neither added anything to what I had said, nor asked if I had any questions about the company. Most of the time, people take at least a little bit of pride in their company and want to share some insight, but this wasn't the case.
And then the normal questions commenced, for about 10 minutes. She clearly had no recollection of our conversation the day before, and hadn't looked at my resume that had presumably been given to her.
I was then told that PM work at AG was nothing like PM work anywhere else, and so she really didn't see me in the PM role. I mentioned that she had suggested the Consulting Team Director role, and that was the description in the email that I had received from her. She quickly agreed, and said she'd need to take my salary requirements 'upstairs' to management.
And that was it. Not even a hint of , 'do you have any questions', etc.

Interview Question – Totally unexpected question: "What other jobs are you applying for elsewhere?" That one threw me.   Answer Question

Project Associate - Law Interview

Project Associate - Law

Interviewed at alliantgroup, LP

Interview Details – They initially contacted me via phone. The interviewer did not seem to understand the timeline for the bar admission process. She asked me general questions and scheduled my follow up. My second interview was via skype. The interviewer was drinking wine. They kept pushing my interview back (at least twice) and I was not able to talk to someone until 6pm that evening.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had to be ranked and how did you fair against your opponents?   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at alliantgroup, LP in May 2014.

Interview Details – A complete waste of my time. I applied online with my resume, without a cover letter. So, I was very surprised to hear from them.

They are likely aware of the negative reviews on this web site and the comments suggesting that they will hire anyone. They now appear to be interviewing individuals without actual interest in hiring them to alter that reputation. HR (or the "talent acquisition associate") contacted me. The talent acquisition associate interviewed me twice (once by phone and once by video, as I don't live in Houston). She was like an extremely aggressive (but very friendly) saleswoman. At the conclusion of the video interview, she arranged for me to have another video interview with two directors two days later.

Two days later, twenty-minutes late, and one director short, the most discourteous woman I have ever had the misfortune of interviewing with appeared on-screen for the interview. Do not forget her title and mistakenly call her a Project Manager or something other than a DIRECTOR, it offends her greatly and she'll be sure to bite your head off if you do. My encounter with this interviewer is likely indicative of the unsavory characters who run this shop.

Interview Question – None - but extremely turned off when I was told I would be "digging, digging, digging" to find those tax credits.   Answer Question

Director of Consulting Interview

Director of Consulting
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at alliantgroup, LP.

Interview Details – Applied online. Got a call from the recruiter. She was nice and on time.
She asked me a few questions, nothing about my past experience really, gave me little information about what was expected and how my past work experience would align or not align with the company.
I get scheduled for an interview the same week.
I met with a Sr. Associate, nice lady who herself had only been at the company for 7 months.

We talked about my background, and what I was currently doing then it was my turn to ask about the role. I said as a Director what would be expected of me? She said well you wouldn't be coming in as a Director, you would be promoted to that position after the 90 day evaluation. Hmm?
I said ok, so during the 90 days what am I doing? P&L for the department? Scheduling and Slotting of projects, managing Utilization rates? (all Director type of work)
She said no no no, nothing like that. You would be trained on our applications and our processes and then would see if I was meeting their expectations of being one of the Top Performers.
I said ok, so basically following someone around, watching how they work within their projects and helping them with getting information from the clients. Her-Yes. Hmm?
I said "ok, what is that position then called, I have not spoken with anyone from HR so what is that title then coming into this position? Sr. Consultant, Consultant, Client Engagement Leader?
She said no no, it would probably be something like an "Associate" title. Doing Associate work.
Hmm? Hmm?

So after the 90 days I ask, I can then assume the role of Director of Consulting, managing other consultants and a team, correct?
Her...well yes, if you are one of the top performers within the 90 days.
Now at this point I have not asked, nor was it ever brought up but these 90 days and Top Performer comments led me to believe one thing....either Sales or a Quota matching work.
I said, so there is no Director position for this?
She said yes there is, (and we said together) only after the 90 days show I am one of the Top Performers.
Yes I get it.
She then leans back in her chair and asks me, do you really want to work here? I am not so sure you are a good fit for this position.
I said how so? She said, well I am not too sure you 'want to do' this TYPE of work. (which was never clearly outlined to me).
I said I submitted the application for work, and I am here, so YOU tell me, what is YOUR hesitation or concern about me working here. Do you think I can do the job?
She said, yes I am going to recommend you to my Manager, we will call you tomorrow or at the latest Friday to talk with you more about the role and you can ask him the same questions you asked me. I said ok.

Then she says, I am going to give you my number, I want you to go home and think this over.
????
Think what over I ask her, 'whether or not you want to work here, whether or not you think you can do the work'. I say, the role of a Director, managing consultants I have and I can do the work.
This "Associate" work I am sure I can but need more info about what it requires from me.
Why are you asking me whether or not I want to work here or not?
She said, well just take my number and call me and let me know if you are ready or think you want to work here.
She gave me her number as she did not have a correct business card with her correct Name/Phone/or Address on it.
We left it at that.
<I didn't call her........they didn't call me either> It has been 2 weeks.

Interview Question – Most difficult question was posed by me to the interviewer.
What can AG do better? She said employee retention. I asked so you have a high turnover rate, she said yes. She also said we can do better at finding Manager/leads. I asked how so. She said we tend to promote our Top Performers and it does not work very well.
I said that is the best way to disintegrate a team. She asked me how so? I said just because you are a Top Performer that does not mean you know how to Lead or Manage people. It just means you are good at what you do.
She said yes I agree, thus us looking outside for Leaders.
  View Answer

Project Consultant Interview

Project Consultant
Houston, TX

I applied through college or university - interviewed at alliantgroup, LP in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online through University and got a call from the recruiter within a few hours. She screened me asking me basic questions and set me up with an interview right away. 2 days later I went to alliantgroup and waited in the interview room for about 15-20 minutes. She asked me basic questions: what do I want to do with my career, why am I interested in alliantgroup, how did you hear about us, etc. Be sure to review who they are and why your interest is connected.

Interview Question – All were behavioral questions   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at alliantgroup, LP.

Interview Details – If this is what you are looking for, then it is probably a good place to work. Long hours, moderate to low pay, and a semi friendly environment. It seemed very much like a place that would try to "look great to new hires" and then be neglectful of you once you began to work for them.

Interview Question – "So.... whats the plan?"   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I felt that I would be taking a decent paying job from someone who would appreciate it more/work harder. I knew if I went, I wouldn't give my all for any reason other than making a higher salary.

Interviews for Top Jobs at alliantgroup, LP

Worked for alliantgroup, LP? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at alliantgroup, LP interview questions and advice. All 52 interview reviews posted anonymously by alliantgroup, LP employees and interview candidates.