athenahealth

Relevance Date Difficulty

Associate Interview

Associate
Watertown, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at athenahealth in April 2014.

Interview Details – 1) Phone Screening by general purpose recruiter. He acted as my liaison with athenahealth. He went over my resume and confirmed that I was generally qualified for the position and that I'd be interested in the position. The recruiter asked about my current salary - he was a bit aggressive in getting a specific number.
2) A second phone call saying that he'd spoken with the relevant team and they would like to bring me in for an interview.
3) A scheduler reached out to me by phone and email to schedule the interview. It was scheduled for a half day. I received an itinerary with the time that I would be spending with each person, and the name and title of that contact.
4) When I arrived at the interview I checked in with a receptionist and then waited for the recruiter. The recruiter led me to a room, and we spoke briefly about any questions I might have. He offered me water, and we generally chatted. The first interviewer came in and it began. We moved rooms a couple of times. There were four interviewers in total - 2 peers, 1 senior peer, and 1 manager. At the end I was checked out by the final interviewer. Most questions were getting details of my job experience and asking questions like "give me an example of a time when you were going to miss the deadline on a project. What did you do?" and similar generic interview questions.
5) I received a follow up call the following day in response to my thank you email, and I was told that there was a lot of positive feedback, and that they wanted to bring me in for another half day interview.
6) Again a scheduler reached out and then sent me the itinerary.
7) The second interview was the same style as the last - four back to back interviews with different people. These people were 1 peer, 2 managers, and the group director. They included some of the other kinds of questions, but a large focus was on whether I would be INTERESTED in the work of the group. It felt that basically I had been blessed as being qualified for the position, but they wanted to make sure it would be a good "fit" both for me and for them.
8) I received a phone call the next day I think with a verbal job offer. A day or two later I received a written job offer that I signed, scanned, and returned.

The whole process took probably about a month. Athenahealth was very responsive, and I never felt like I was in the dark, not knowing the status. If I could do it again, I might have given a higher salary number.

Also, I wanted to give more than a standard two weeks before leaving my previous job, and they were very accommodating.

Interview Question – There was one logic question. It wasn't that difficult, but you would need to make sure to pay attention and think through it carefully.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I negotiated for additional time to my start date and that was fine. I felt like it would have been difficult to negotiate my salary. athenahealth has a very formal salary determination process. My best advice would be to give your desired salary as "what you are currently making" at the beginning. That will be your best chance to get what you want.

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager
Watertown, MA

Interview Details – Get referred! Company is looking to hire upwards of 100 people in the most recent months. Standard phone screen, short call with a manager, and then being asked to come in for four interviews and a presentation.

Interview Question – The presentation, relevant to the position, was tough because I didn't know what to expect but overall everyone was receptive to what I said.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate- the offer was competitive and enough to make me accept it.

Interface Associate Interview

Interface Associate
Watertown, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at athenahealth in April 2014.

Interview Details – The company reached out to me 3 hours after I had submitted my application. I first had a phone interview that went well, which led to an in-person interview with several members of the team. Prior to the interview, I was given a project to complete and to present, as well as an Excel sheet to demonstrate my data manipulation skills (which by the way no one ever acknowledged or reviewed with me). Overall, I felt that the interviews went well. Upon my departure, I was told that someone would be in touch with me within 5 business days. Another person also informed me I would be contacted probably by the end of the week about subsequent interviews. This information led me to believe that they were interested in me and made me very hopeful that I would be offered a second interview shortly. Weeks pass by and no word from anyone. I tried to follow up by calling and emailing, but was ignored. I finally decided to reach out to the director who I had interviewed with to get an update, but she did not reply either. However, the next day, I received a response from HR telling me that another HR specialist would be in touch with me. Again, weeks pass and no word. I finally decided to reach out to the HR specialist myself and her response email consisted of a generic rejection letter informing me that I was no longer being considered.
I always viewed athenahealth as a professional and respectable company, which is why I wanted to work for them, but this experience has shown that they are very unprofessional and have no regard for their applicants. Rather than leading me on for weeks and weeks, they could have simply informed me of their disinterest at my first follow up.

Interview Question – Walk me through the workflow of a pharmacist.   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Difficult Interview

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Waltham, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at athenahealth in April 2014.

Interview Details – the process took 2 weeks , they give me a puzzle give me one week to resolved
sent them back the code they asked ,after they liked , they asked me to come for final interview from 8.30am to 2pm. note the the second puzzle in the 1:1 interview expected to be resolve and code it and debug it in 90 minutes were from far more difficult than the one they give me one week to resolved.

Interview Question – the second puzzle in the final interview was very complicated and hard its was pretty much impossible to do it in 90 minutes ,at least for me. i think its not realistic   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Healthcare Transaction Analyst Interview

Healthcare Transaction Analyst
Boston, MA

I applied online - interviewed at athenahealth in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and was contacted by email to set up an interview. Interviewed once and was told I might also be qualified for another position if I was interested. I told them that I was and they told me they'd contact me about next steps in the process. They never did.

Interview Question – Nothing really   Answer Question

Production Systems Interview

Production Systems
Waltham, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at athenahealth in November 2013.

Interview Details – More intense than normal. Went through a few rounds with a lot of different people. However, after landing the job this is very necessary as inter-team relationships are key. First it was a phone, then group, and finally an additional group interview. In addition, a good portion of it was pretty technical.

Interview Question – How can you find info on a file in Linux if someone deletes the "ls" binary?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There really was none; took the job at face value.

Health Transactions Intern Interview

Health Transactions Intern
Watertown, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at athenahealth in November 2013.

Interview Details – My initial communication with athenahealth was at a campus career fair where I spoke with an HR representative there. I gave my resume and was told to follow up with the technical recruiter which my resume would be passed on to. When handing in my resume I didn't have a specific position or department in mind, I was pretty open to any sort of technical internship. I sent an email and got a response from the technical recruiter fairly fast, within a couple of days. Her response was first and foremost explaining an internship position with the Health Transactions team, which was looking for it's first intern. If I was interested (which I was), then the first step in the interview process was a phone screening with the technical recruiter.

The phone screening was very straightforward, it only lasted 10-15 minutes. Almost all the questions were about elaborating on what was already on my resume. In the same call I was told that I would next be having a conversation with the Health Transactions team lead, supervisor of the team I'd be on. It was never referred to as an interview or a phone screening, more of just a "talk". The team lead described in more detail what the team does and the role of the intern. I don't remember there being any interview like questions being asked. The team lead actually has been through the same masters program I'm currently in, so she and I mostly chatted about that.

After talking with the team lead, the recruiter followed up and told me the last step was to come in for an face-to-face interview about two weeks after the phone calls. It was three hours long made up of an interview with the team lead, a lunch with all the team members, and ended with an interview with one director of health transactions. I wasn't blind-sided by any of the questions. Overall I thought it was a fairly easy interview made up of mostly behavioral questions. Everyone I met with was very friendly and I could tell that they care a lot about the type of people they hire. They have a very specific company culture and I could tell they really analyze (and probably heavily weigh) your personality and how you will fit into the company.

The recruiter called the very next day and told me I got the internship, but the official offer came about a month later. Overall the entire hiring process took almost two months.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary. Behavioral questions such as "What role do you tend to take on when part of a team?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Since it's an internship and I was happy with the amount of compensation they were offering, I didn't feel the need to negotiate although I had the opportunity over the phone upon one of the initial phone screenings. I'm sure negotiating for a full-time position would be different.

Very Easy Interview

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Watertown, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 months - interviewed at athenahealth.

Interview Details – I talked with Amber (HR), she sent me a quiz, I replied quickly. After that I followed up in 1 day, 3 days, 7 days, 1 month, 2 months, 3 months! Finally she replied and said she didn't receive my quiz and asked me to resent it. I did. Again no replies! The worst sloppiest HR in the whole US. good luck!

Interview Question – simple programming question   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Watertown, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at athenahealth in January 2014.

Interview Details – My initial communication was also my last communication. I talked with the HR representative on the phone. She was very pleasant and said that judging by my resume, I would be a good fit for the position. At the end of the conversation, she said that she would email a 'coding challenge' that should take no more than 4 hours to complete. I got it and finished it within the time constraints, mailed it back and then heard nothing, not even a 'thank you we're not interested'.

Interview Question – It seems that glassdoor will not allow me to post the entire question, but I can summarize by saying that you need to find the position of a string of up to 20 characters [A - Z] without generating all possible permutations. It has to run in less than 1 second, so an O(n) solution is preferable.   View Answer

National/Named Accounts Enterprise Sales Interview

National/Named Accounts Enterprise Sales
Watertown, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at athenahealth in November 2013.

Interview Details – Well organized pre-screening and telephone interview process prior to traveling to the corporate office for face to face interviews. In person interviews included powerpoint presentation on prior company and on Athena in mock situations to senior staff. Extensive phone interviews, followed by panel interviews with up to 7 individuals in a single day, before or after a delivered slide presentation.

Interview Question – Why should I be concerned with hiring you?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at athenahealth

Worked for athenahealth? Contribute to the Community!

athenahealth Videos

athenahealth – Why Work for Us?

Managing a medical practice is difficult. We know because that's how athenahealth began. In 1997, co-founders Jonathan Bush and Todd Park ran a birthing center in California, where they found themselves inundated with… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at athenahealth interview questions and advice in Boston, MA. All 44 interview reviews posted anonymously by athenahealth employees and interview candidates.