athenahealth

athenahealth Interview Questions in Boston, MA

Updated Nov 22, 2014
Updated Nov 22, 2014

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watertown, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at athenahealth.

two part interview-- case study and resume interview. Case study, you can't prep for, and if you don't like the case study, you're probably not a good fit for the company.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about something you would have changed in the last team project you were in.   Answer Question
    I liked my offer and did not attempt to negotiate for more

Technology Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at athenahealth.

Initial interview was conducted via a phone screen by HR followed by a VP/Director level. First round of interview was with 4 different people (HR, Hiring Manager, Senior Project Mgr and 1 member of the team reporting to this mgr role). Interviewing with HR surrounded primarily around corporate culture and why you would want to work for them. Interviewing with the hiring manager and the team was directly related to the job requirements of the position.

The decision for the second interview happened quickly, within 2 days. Second round of interview was with a different set of 5 people, 4 was in management this is more than likely due to the position being a manager role and ensuring the candidate is "management" material. Interviewing with management was an assessment of being able to interact with the peers of this role. Interviewing with the VP/Director was awkward as their IT strategy differ from mine; if you want the job, agree with them as oppose to trying to explain your difference in opinion. The 5th person was another member of the team that would report to this position.

There was no clear interviewing format but there was behavioral questions that were asked through both rounds by some interviewers and none by other interviewers, because of this format, it wasn't clear as to whether or not it was a company policy or an interviewer's interviewing style.

Interview Questions
    • Many of the behavioral questions requires a response in relation to your previous experiences. Sometimes it is hard to come up with a response when you have yet to be stuck in the situation suggested by the question. It is necessary to answer the question as oppose to saying you've never been in the position.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at athenahealth in October 2014.

I met with reps at my university's Career Fair. After handing in my resume, they called me later that day to schedule an on-campus interview. It was a brief 30-minutes behavioral interview that felt more like a conversation. I later received an email saying I had moved on to an on-site final round. Met with a few product innovation associates who explained their job and answered questions. Afterwards, I had two separate 1-on-1 interviews. The first was a behavioral interview like the initial one where I had to talk about previous projects and problem solving. The second was a simple case study that was made easier by the interviewer conversing with me to get more out of me. After interviewing, I got a tour of the facilities. Overall, it's a very easygoing process, because the employees are incredibly welcoming. I highly encourage people to apply. I received a phone call a few weeks later. They didn't offer me the position but asked me to interview for another position for which they thought I would be more suitable.

Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at athenahealth in October 2014.

I interviewed through on-campus recruiting. My initial interview was just a run through of the resume, very friendly, and very open. We talked a lot about the nature of this particular role-- it is very much interacting with their technology, not thinking about where the technology needs to go. The interviewer was an individual who could have been my supervisor, not a HR person, which was really nice. After a week or two I was invited to a second round interview at their headquarters. This was a great way to really get to see the company and understand it better. I had two, hour long interviews, both with senior members of the PI team. One was behavioral, just a resume overview and making sure we were a match. The second was a case interview--not too math-based, more about the ability to analyze a process. They want friendly people who fit their culture, and their mission. They will be incredibly open about any reservations they have, so be prepared to respond well.

I ended up not getting a job with PI, but they connected me with another department to interview with.

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at athenahealth in October 2014.

Had an initial interview via an on-campus interview program. It was, more or less, simply a fun conversation. Was invited to a final-round interview on site which included a personal interview and a case interview. Neither were particularly difficult, and both took the form of conversation more than anything. They have some trouble with their applicant processing because they use a service that has a decent share of bugs.

Senior User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at athenahealth in September 2014.

All in all, the interview process with Athena health was intense, but smooth and respectful all the way through. Lots of very smart people, people who clearly love where they are and want to make sure new people are both smart and will fit into the culture.

Did I mention intense? Honestly, this seems to be only slightly more involved than most interviews for positions of the Swarts these days; the shortest interview I've had in the last three months was three hours. The AthenaHealth interview process involved about 12 people over two rounds, each of which lasted three hours. During those two rounds, I had two portfolio reviews and one design exercise; more than most places demand of you. Frankly, the two portfolio reviews were helpful; I missed the mark with a few things during the first one, and was able to target things a bit more carefully for the second one. It felt It felt like more of an opportunity than a burdenburden.

Interview Questions
    • Show us an interaction that you've designed that you are proud of.   View Answer

Healthcare Data Analysis Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA

interviewed at athenahealth in July 2014.

Reached out for interview from HR recruiter. Spoke on telephone (for about 40 minutes) about available positions, and it became clear that a successful candidate would need to obtain strong technical skills in data systems.

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at athenahealth in May 2014.

The interview process was intense. Multiple interviews with HR, the hiring manager, various VP's, peers, and a case-study based presentation. All of this happens in one day starting first thing in the morning and ending with the presentation. It is a grueling day going from interview to interview. The people that I met with were courteous. Most of them had worked at Athena for years, some for more than a decade. The campus is very nice and they were in the middle of some remodeling to make it even nicer.

Interview Questions
    • There really were no difficult or unexpected questions. Every interview was free form and interviewed in their personal style. I think that is what made it tough. Each interview took on a personality of its own.   Answer Question

The corporate culture in Watertown seemed cool on the surface, but something didn't feel right to me. Kind of like an exclusive private club or something. It wasn't for me. I received the offer via a phone call a couple days after the interview. I declined and am glad that I did.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watertown, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at athenahealth in April 2014.

1) Phone Screening by general purpose recruiter. He acted as my liaison with athenahealth. He went over my resume and confirmed that I was generally qualified for the position and that I'd be interested in the position. The recruiter asked about my current salary - he was a bit aggressive in getting a specific number.
    2) A second phone call saying that he'd spoken with the relevant team and they would like to bring me in for an interview.
    3) A scheduler reached out to me by phone and email to schedule the interview. It was scheduled for a half day. I received an itinerary with the time that I would be spending with each person, and the name and title of that contact.
    4) When I arrived at the interview I checked in with a receptionist and then waited for the recruiter. The recruiter led me to a room, and we spoke briefly about any questions I might have. He offered me water, and we generally chatted. The first interviewer came in and it began. We moved rooms a couple of times. There were four interviewers in total - 2 peers, 1 senior peer, and 1 manager. At the end I was checked out by the final interviewer. Most questions were getting details of my job experience and asking questions like "give me an example of a time when you were going to miss the deadline on a project. What did you do?" and similar generic interview questions.
    5) I received a follow up call the following day in response to my thank you email, and I was told that there was a lot of positive feedback, and that they wanted to bring me in for another half day interview.
    6) Again a scheduler reached out and then sent me the itinerary.
    7) The second interview was the same style as the last - four back to back interviews with different people. These people were 1 peer, 2 managers, and the group director. They included some of the other kinds of questions, but a large focus was on whether I would be INTERESTED in the work of the group. It felt that basically I had been blessed as being qualified for the position, but they wanted to make sure it would be a good "fit" both for me and for them.
    8) I received a phone call the next day I think with a verbal job offer. A day or two later I received a written job offer that I signed, scanned, and returned.

The whole process took probably about a month. Athenahealth was very responsive, and I never felt like I was in the dark, not knowing the status. If I could do it again, I might have given a higher salary number.

Also, I wanted to give more than a standard two weeks before leaving my previous job, and they were very accommodating.

Interview Questions
    • There was one logic question. It wasn't that difficult, but you would need to make sure to pay attention and think through it carefully.   Answer Question
    I negotiated for additional time to my start date and that was fine. I felt like it would have been difficult to negotiate my salary. athenahealth has a very formal salary determination process. My best advice would be to give your desired salary as "what you are currently making" at the beginning. That will be your best chance to get what you want.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watertown, MA

Get referred! Company is looking to hire upwards of 100 people in the most recent months. Standard phone screen, short call with a manager, and then being asked to come in for four interviews and a presentation.

Interview Questions
    • The presentation, relevant to the position, was tough because I didn't know what to expect but overall everyone was receptive to what I said.   View Answer
    I did not negotiate- the offer was competitive and enough to make me accept it.