athenahealth Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 19, 2014
107 interviews

3.3

Data Solutions Analyst Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at athenahealth.

Was referred by a friend, and got a recruiter call shortly after. Two phone interviews with managers, straightforward questions, and then was invited for an on-site interview. On-site was a long day of all department members. Their interview process is very organized and they do take care of their candidates very well. In the end they decided to go with another candidate, not much explanation why.

Interview Questions
    • Lots of case studies, which weren't too difficult. Some logical thinking / whiteboarding. Director had a case study involving theoretical design of a sports-betting application. The question was ill-formed, difficult to understand, and didn't relate to healthcare at all.   Answer Question

Senior Healthcare Data Analyst Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at athenahealth in August 2014.

Case-based questions were very straightforward. I had to give a 30-45 minute presentation to a panel of senior members on data that was given to me beforehand. Then afterwards, each senior member gave me an individual interview which was mostly case-based.

Healthcare Data Analysis Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Watertown, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA

interviewed at athenahealth in July 2014.

Reached out for interview from HR recruiter. Spoke on telephone (for about 40 minutes) about available positions, and it became clear that a successful candidate would need to obtain strong technical skills in data systems.

Field Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at athenahealth in April 2013.

Phone calls with around 4 to 5 people, leaders and would be peers they asked questions about my backround and got to know me on a personal level. They let me ask questions as well. All of my conversations went over the alloted time frame given. All in all they went well and were very easy.

easy they met my needs

FP&A Analyst Interview

First Round: an HR phone interview lasts about 30 minutes. Standard fit questions. Second round: 30-45 minute phone call with an analyst asking about modeling background, no technical questions. Final round: 4 hour super day consisting of 6 interviews and a small examination that takes about 30 minutes. The exam is asking corporate finance questions/business questions.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was that difficult, but the VP decided to ask a blindside question like "what would your best friend tell me about you that you wouldn't expect him/her to say?"   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Alpharetta, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at athenahealth in October 2013.

I was contacted by an internal recruiter and asked a few general questions about my skills and what I was currently doing. This person really concentrated on telling me how great Athena was and what a good work environment they have. They cared about career development for employees, had really good benefits, and I'd get to work with a lot of nice, smart people.

After that, I was told there was a programming puzzle to solve before I came in for an onsite interview. I could use any language I wanted and take as long as I wanted. He sent me the puzzle and said let me know when I was ready to submit.

It was a fairly difficult problem that really involved more statistics than it did programming. I had a few questions about the puzzle, but I could only talk to the non-technical recruiter, so that wasn't much help. I was pretty busy that week, so I worked on it over the weekend and submitted an answer that was correct according to their specs. But, they did not understand the output(I admit, it was complex), so they just told me to try again.

I didn't get a chance to work on it until the next weekend, and I created a new program that gave them exactly what they wanted. I submitted Monday and it passed all the test cases they gave me initially. But, they tried some other test cases and found a small bug.

I fixed the bug and submitted again. Then, it passed completely.

They asked me to come in for an onsite interview which would last 5-6 hours (aka "an entire day") at which point I refused. I had already taken 2 weekends to show them I was capable. Another day long interview was going way overboard. If they have this little respect for my time and I'm NOT an employee, I wonder how they treat people that are actually on their payroll.

Interview Questions
    • The programming puzzle was difficult and I was not even given the opportunity to clarify any questions with one of their developers.   View Answer

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Watertown, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watertown, MA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at athenahealth in April 2014.

1) Phone Screening by general purpose recruiter. He acted as my liaison with athenahealth. He went over my resume and confirmed that I was generally qualified for the position and that I'd be interested in the position. The recruiter asked about my current salary - he was a bit aggressive in getting a specific number.
    2) A second phone call saying that he'd spoken with the relevant team and they would like to bring me in for an interview.
    3) A scheduler reached out to me by phone and email to schedule the interview. It was scheduled for a half day. I received an itinerary with the time that I would be spending with each person, and the name and title of that contact.
    4) When I arrived at the interview I checked in with a receptionist and then waited for the recruiter. The recruiter led me to a room, and we spoke briefly about any questions I might have. He offered me water, and we generally chatted. The first interviewer came in and it began. We moved rooms a couple of times. There were four interviewers in total - 2 peers, 1 senior peer, and 1 manager. At the end I was checked out by the final interviewer. Most questions were getting details of my job experience and asking questions like "give me an example of a time when you were going to miss the deadline on a project. What did you do?" and similar generic interview questions.
    5) I received a follow up call the following day in response to my thank you email, and I was told that there was a lot of positive feedback, and that they wanted to bring me in for another half day interview.
    6) Again a scheduler reached out and then sent me the itinerary.
    7) The second interview was the same style as the last - four back to back interviews with different people. These people were 1 peer, 2 managers, and the group director. They included some of the other kinds of questions, but a large focus was on whether I would be INTERESTED in the work of the group. It felt that basically I had been blessed as being qualified for the position, but they wanted to make sure it would be a good "fit" both for me and for them.
    8) I received a phone call the next day I think with a verbal job offer. A day or two later I received a written job offer that I signed, scanned, and returned.

The whole process took probably about a month. Athenahealth was very responsive, and I never felt like I was in the dark, not knowing the status. If I could do it again, I might have given a higher salary number.

Also, I wanted to give more than a standard two weeks before leaving my previous job, and they were very accommodating.

Interview Questions
    • There was one logic question. It wasn't that difficult, but you would need to make sure to pay attention and think through it carefully.   Answer Question
    I negotiated for additional time to my start date and that was fine. I felt like it would have been difficult to negotiate my salary. athenahealth has a very formal salary determination process. My best advice would be to give your desired salary as "what you are currently making" at the beginning. That will be your best chance to get what you want.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Watertown, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watertown, MA

Get referred! Company is looking to hire upwards of 100 people in the most recent months. Standard phone screen, short call with a manager, and then being asked to come in for four interviews and a presentation.

Interview Questions
    • The presentation, relevant to the position, was tough because I didn't know what to expect but overall everyone was receptive to what I said.   View Answer
    I did not negotiate- the offer was competitive and enough to make me accept it.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at athenahealth in May 2014.

The recruiter I was working with first suggested I look at Athena on April 22. I had an initial phone screen with Athena's in-house recruiter on April 30. The same day he sent a rather challenging programming assignment. Due to other work and family commitments, I did not get it done until May 12. Within 24 hours I was contacted to set up an on-site interview for May 28.

The interview was from 9 to 3. I was encouraged to bring a laptop with my favorite development environment, which I did. I first spoke to the office manager who gave me a quick introduction to the company and culture. I also ordered my lunch from a takeout sandwich place. I set up my laptop in a small conference room. The door had a picture of Darth Vader interrogating Luke Skywalker with the word "Interviews" printed on it.

The interviews were decided into Technical and Culture. The Technical interview involves coding a solution to a medium sized problem in 90 minutes. The Culture interviews are more conventional. The first session was a technical interview. The interviewer chatted for 5-10 minutes before posing the problem. It was a modified card solitaire game. I was supposed to run multiple algorithms and see which performed best, with the interviewer providing the first algorithm. It took me a while to get my head around the problem and start coding. I did get the first solution coded, but ran into run-time errors just as time ran out.

The second interview was with a lead developer/manager. We mostly discussed products, process and culture. He asked a few high-level technical questions, such as the difference between interfaces and abstract classes or the advantages of a language with garbage collection (C# or Java) vs. one without (C++). He also said they were interviewing constantly, and the he personally did at least two interviews a week.

I had 30 minutes for lunch. They left me alone to decompress from the morning sessions. The second technical interview was a problem called "superbowl squares" . This involved taking the probability distribution of scores for a sports team in a single round, and then computing the probability of scores after multiple rounds. The interviewer did a excellent job of leading me thru 2 round probabilities, then induction from N rounds to N+1 rounds, then pseudocode on the white board. I was then able to code the basic solution and a stretch goal with time to spare.

The final interview was a vice president, the senior person for the site. Athena has a strong "everyone codes" culture and he was debugging something before my interview started. He was very open to question and we had a good discussion about company history, culture, etc. He also addressed my concerns about the office being relocated to a more distant (for me) building.

All in all, this was a well-run interview and everyone was friendly and enthusiastic. Indeed the VP said their culture was almost a cult. The office was a big bullpen with clusters for four dev teams and various humorous items tacked on the wall. Everyone seemed to have at least two monitors.

By the time I left, I was very interested in the job -- they had done a superb job of selling the company to me. The next day I got an e-mail from the recruiter saying "they liked you a lot, but felt you were not a match technically" As far as I can tell, not finishing the first programming exercise sealed my fate. A colleague did a bunch of research on Glassdoor and concluded that you are not considered unless you can get both programming problems running in the allotted time. I felt there was a little disconnect as during the interview I was told they did multiple technical interviews in case candidates didn't do well on one. My recruiter said she was going to try to get more detailed feedback from them, but I have not learned any more so far.

Interview Questions
    • The first programming problem was difficult to solve in the allowed time.   View Answer

Senior Manager Client Support Center Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Alpharetta, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at athenahealth in May 2014.

I applied for this position on line and received a response in 2 days. The response was that I had to do a virtual interview. Was asked to answer 6 questions and given 2 minutes for each question. I felt virtual interview was very cold.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult I guess I just did not give the answers they wanted. How did you creatively overcome an obstacle? You have 3 projects and (3 line managers) you have clients that feel their project is most important, how do you handle this? What is the difference between leader and manager?   Answer Question

Worked for athenahealth? Contribute to the Community!