athenahealth Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2014
Updated Aug 27, 2014

3.3

Client Services Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at athenahealth.

I applied online and had a friend who is employed there push my resume through. The first interview was over the phone. Essentially just making sure I was generally qualified for the position. The second interview was with someone in a senior position.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you came across new technology and how did you learn to use it.   Answer Question

Account Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at athenahealth.

They were hiring for this position rather quickly so communication was quick and interviews were compact and full of information, no small talk! I had a video interview where I recorded my responses for submission. I then had a remote interview via Zoom video interviewing, which was pretty cool! They were personable and great people to speak to, and I could see why they do what they do. They love their company and the people they work with. I've heard they are selective with whom they offer a job, but I would be too excited to receive an offer from them

Interview Questions
    • Detail a situation where you lead cooperation within your team?   Answer Question

Product Innovation Associate Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at athenahealth.

I had a phone interview with a recruiting manager and then went in for a formal interview. I met with two people, one went through regular interview questions and one asked me to answer the question "how many lightbulbs are there in Australia?" It was very difficult to map this out on a whiteboard without the use of a spreadsheet (especially for those of us with sloppy handwriting). Also, I got dinged because my initial estimate of the population of Australia was way off (which I thought wasn't fair because it should be the rest of the thinking through the question that counts).

Interview Questions
    • Whiteboard the answer to "how many lightbulbs are there in Australia?"   Answer Question

Data Solutions Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at athenahealth.

Was referred by a friend, and got a recruiter call shortly after. Two phone interviews with managers, straightforward questions, and then was invited for an on-site interview. On-site was a long day of all department members. Their interview process is very organized and they do take care of their candidates very well. In the end they decided to go with another candidate, not much explanation why.

Interview Questions
    • Lots of case studies, which weren't too difficult. Some logical thinking / whiteboarding. Director had a case study involving theoretical design of a sports-betting application. The question was ill-formed, difficult to understand, and didn't relate to healthcare at all.   Answer Question

Senior Healthcare Data Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at athenahealth in August 2014.

Case-based questions were very straightforward. I had to give a 30-45 minute presentation to a panel of senior members on data that was given to me beforehand. Then afterwards, each senior member gave me an individual interview which was mostly case-based.

Healthcare Data Analysis Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Watertown, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watertown, MA

interviewed at athenahealth in July 2014.

Reached out for interview from HR recruiter. Spoke on telephone (for about 40 minutes) about available positions, and it became clear that a successful candidate would need to obtain strong technical skills in data systems.

Field Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at athenahealth in April 2013.

Phone calls with around 4 to 5 people, leaders and would be peers they asked questions about my backround and got to know me on a personal level. They let me ask questions as well. All of my conversations went over the alloted time frame given. All in all they went well and were very easy.

easy they met my needs

FP&A Analyst Interview

First Round: an HR phone interview lasts about 30 minutes. Standard fit questions. Second round: 30-45 minute phone call with an analyst asking about modeling background, no technical questions. Final round: 4 hour super day consisting of 6 interviews and a small examination that takes about 30 minutes. The exam is asking corporate finance questions/business questions.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was that difficult, but the VP decided to ask a blindside question like "what would your best friend tell me about you that you wouldn't expect him/her to say?"   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Alpharetta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at athenahealth in October 2013.

I was contacted by an internal recruiter and asked a few general questions about my skills and what I was currently doing. This person really concentrated on telling me how great Athena was and what a good work environment they have. They cared about career development for employees, had really good benefits, and I'd get to work with a lot of nice, smart people.

After that, I was told there was a programming puzzle to solve before I came in for an onsite interview. I could use any language I wanted and take as long as I wanted. He sent me the puzzle and said let me know when I was ready to submit.

It was a fairly difficult problem that really involved more statistics than it did programming. I had a few questions about the puzzle, but I could only talk to the non-technical recruiter, so that wasn't much help. I was pretty busy that week, so I worked on it over the weekend and submitted an answer that was correct according to their specs. But, they did not understand the output(I admit, it was complex), so they just told me to try again.

I didn't get a chance to work on it until the next weekend, and I created a new program that gave them exactly what they wanted. I submitted Monday and it passed all the test cases they gave me initially. But, they tried some other test cases and found a small bug.

I fixed the bug and submitted again. Then, it passed completely.

They asked me to come in for an onsite interview which would last 5-6 hours (aka "an entire day") at which point I refused. I had already taken 2 weekends to show them I was capable. Another day long interview was going way overboard. If they have this little respect for my time and I'm NOT an employee, I wonder how they treat people that are actually on their payroll.

Interview Questions
    • The programming puzzle was difficult and I was not even given the opportunity to clarify any questions with one of their developers.   View Answer

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Watertown, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watertown, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at athenahealth in April 2014.

1) Phone Screening by general purpose recruiter. He acted as my liaison with athenahealth. He went over my resume and confirmed that I was generally qualified for the position and that I'd be interested in the position. The recruiter asked about my current salary - he was a bit aggressive in getting a specific number.
    2) A second phone call saying that he'd spoken with the relevant team and they would like to bring me in for an interview.
    3) A scheduler reached out to me by phone and email to schedule the interview. It was scheduled for a half day. I received an itinerary with the time that I would be spending with each person, and the name and title of that contact.
    4) When I arrived at the interview I checked in with a receptionist and then waited for the recruiter. The recruiter led me to a room, and we spoke briefly about any questions I might have. He offered me water, and we generally chatted. The first interviewer came in and it began. We moved rooms a couple of times. There were four interviewers in total - 2 peers, 1 senior peer, and 1 manager. At the end I was checked out by the final interviewer. Most questions were getting details of my job experience and asking questions like "give me an example of a time when you were going to miss the deadline on a project. What did you do?" and similar generic interview questions.
    5) I received a follow up call the following day in response to my thank you email, and I was told that there was a lot of positive feedback, and that they wanted to bring me in for another half day interview.
    6) Again a scheduler reached out and then sent me the itinerary.
    7) The second interview was the same style as the last - four back to back interviews with different people. These people were 1 peer, 2 managers, and the group director. They included some of the other kinds of questions, but a large focus was on whether I would be INTERESTED in the work of the group. It felt that basically I had been blessed as being qualified for the position, but they wanted to make sure it would be a good "fit" both for me and for them.
    8) I received a phone call the next day I think with a verbal job offer. A day or two later I received a written job offer that I signed, scanned, and returned.

The whole process took probably about a month. Athenahealth was very responsive, and I never felt like I was in the dark, not knowing the status. If I could do it again, I might have given a higher salary number.

Also, I wanted to give more than a standard two weeks before leaving my previous job, and they were very accommodating.

Interview Questions
    • There was one logic question. It wasn't that difficult, but you would need to make sure to pay attention and think through it carefully.   Answer Question
    I negotiated for additional time to my start date and that was fine. I felt like it would have been difficult to negotiate my salary. athenahealth has a very formal salary determination process. My best advice would be to give your desired salary as "what you are currently making" at the beginning. That will be your best chance to get what you want.

Worked for athenahealth? Contribute to the Community!