athenahealth Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 28, 2015

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watertown, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at athenahealth (Watertown, MA) in July 2015.

Interview

First there is a phone screen, then a coding quiz, and then an onsite interview. The phone screen is like any other phone screen, with questions about why you applied, what your personal background is, etc. The coding quiz is a coding challenge you complete on your own and send back. The onsite interview is half a day and covers coding, information about athenahealth, and your basic background.

Interview Questions

• It's not a specific question, but we retraced a character trait in my personality to its roots.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for athenahealth

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at athenahealth (Atlanta, GA) in May 2015.

Interview

After a take home programming assignment, I was given an onsite interview. The interview was five and a half hours long, broken into two "personal" interviews at 60 minutes each, two technical interviews at 90 minutes each, and a 30 minute break for lunch (on them). The personal interviews were the normal resume discussion, "why do you want to work here", etc. kind of questions. For each technical interview I was given a problem and asked to write code to solve it. They provided a laptop (you can bring your own as well) and let me pick whatever language I wanted. The interviewers offered minimal unprompted advice, but talked through the problem with me and acted as a sounding board.

Interview Questions

• What do you see as the main difference in approaching a problem in a declarative language vs. an imperative one?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at athenahealth.

Interview

Very upfront and technical. No cultural examination, no questions about yourself or your resume (at least for the first round). Simply you are given a puzzle and the interviewer see's how you solve it. You are given 45 minutes to solve it. Was disappointed that the interviewer didn't even tell me his name when I introduced myself. Spent some time asking about the bounds of the puzzle and processed with an initial bad approach on my own, then i figured out what algorithm this puzzle imposed. You can use either backtracking (not optimal) or depth first search (optimal)

Interview Questions

• Given a six sided dice and a board of squares, what is the least possible score that you can obtain from going to point A to point B on the board. Each turn you will flip the dice in a direction and then add the top facing number on the dice to your existing score.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at athenahealth.

Interview

They give you a coding challenge question to complete before a certain deadline. If you complete it to their standards, they contact you about setting up a time to talk on the phone and go over your resume and do a bit of a phone screen. I heard back a few weeks later from another person at HR to set up an on-site interview time. The on-site interview comprised of a technical interview, followed by a lunch interview, and another technical interview right after. The technical interviews were 1.5 hours each, while the lunch interview was an hour long.

Interview Questions

• Interview questions were more math-based and problem solving based than data structures based.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watertown, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at athenahealth (Watertown, MA) in March 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn, then talked to another few people on the phone. Finally there was an on-campus interview where I met with 4 people. First there was an interview over lunch which was presented as a time for me to ask questions. Then there was a technical interview where they set up a little game and asked me to formulate a strategy and code up how it worked. Then there was a resume review interview that was more normal. Finally was a second technical interview with another sort of game set up. This one I had to figure out the probabilities of different outcomes. The second one was a type of problem I have trouble with so it took me almost the whole time, also I was tired.

Interview Questions

• There was a setup of a simple solitaire card game and I was asked to devise a strategy and write some code to demonstrate how often that strategy would win.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at athenahealth.

Interview

I was chatting with them in the career Fair on campus, and they contact me in scheduling an on campus interview on the next day. I was given a problem involving several parts to solve.

Interview Questions

• The question is centered around a dice and a grid, and you want to find the least-weight path from one end point to the other end point (The weight of the path is determining by the dice)   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Interview

I was referred. I had a short phone interview, then completed a programming assignment on my own time, which I sent back to them. I went in for the full interview - two technical interviews, and two nontechnical interviews. The questions weren't that difficult, but I was surprised at the degree to which they just asked me to do the problem on my own computer - I was expecting a whiteboard session.

Interview Questions

• Without giving away specifics, I was asked to solve a problem involving a data structure that wasn't conceptually difficult, just very problem-specific and which I had trouble debugging. Given another thirty minutes, my code would have run fine - but they seem very fixed on functional code within time limits.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Interview

Everyone was very nice. First chatted with recruiter, then had a behavioral interview, then coding, lunch, and then 2nd round of coding. Lunch was at their cafeteria- very nice with good food. Casual and open environment. I really enjoyed being onsite. The developers/architects were very knowledgeable and were great to talk to. The coding interviewers were very "straight-to-business", which was very understandable and appreciated, since there's a time crunch.

Software Developer Interview

Interview

It was an interview on campus. The duration is one hour. I was given a question to find the minimum number in the given matrix. I was asked to code in any language I was comfortable with. It's also important to write on the whiteboard.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected. You are expected to code and test its correctness.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at athenahealth.

Interview

We met at a career fair where they invited me to an on-campus technical interview the next week. Met the interviewer for a fort-five minute interview. Question was not very hard but the interviewer tried to lead me through the problem piece by piece which may have ended up taking up a lot of the forty five minutes. After the guiding questions such as traversing graphs and writing a quick function on calculating the different sides of the die given only 3 sides, I was asked to use pseudo code to write up the solution. I had about 15 minutes left. Afterwards, the interviewer asked if I had any questions and that I would get a response by the end of the week. At the end of the week, I got the verdict.

Interview Questions

• Given a square grid of of any size and a six sided die which has the property of a constant sum for every pair opposing sides, find the smallest cost (sum of the numbers showing up on the top of the die) to get to some location elsewhere on the grid by rolling the die in that direction. The die starts on the bottom left corner of the grid. Hints include representing the grid as a graph and possibly using depth first search.   Answer Question