athenahealth

Updated Dec 9, 2014

3.4

32 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at athenahealth.

I was chatting with them in the career Fair on campus, and they contact me in scheduling an on campus interview on the next day. I was given a problem involving several parts to solve.

Interview Questions
  • The question is centered around a dice and a grid, and you want to find the least-weight path from one end point to the other end point (The weight of the path is determining by the dice)   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for athenahealth

Software Developer Interview

I was referred. I had a short phone interview, then completed a programming assignment on my own time, which I sent back to them. I went in for the full interview - two technical interviews, and two nontechnical interviews. The questions weren't that difficult, but I was surprised at the degree to which they just asked me to do the problem on my own computer - I was expecting a whiteboard session.

Interview Questions
    • Without giving away specifics, I was asked to solve a problem involving a data structure that wasn't conceptually difficult, just very problem-specific and which I had trouble debugging. Given another thirty minutes, my code would have run fine - but they seem very fixed on functional code within time limits.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Everyone was very nice. First chatted with recruiter, then had a behavioral interview, then coding, lunch, and then 2nd round of coding. Lunch was at their cafeteria- very nice with good food. Casual and open environment. I really enjoyed being onsite. The developers/architects were very knowledgeable and were great to talk to. The coding interviewers were very "straight-to-business", which was very understandable and appreciated, since there's a time crunch.

Software Developer Interview

It was an interview on campus. The duration is one hour. I was given a question to find the minimum number in the given matrix. I was asked to code in any language I was comfortable with. It's also important to write on the whiteboard.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. You are expected to code and test its correctness.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at athenahealth.

We met at a career fair where they invited me to an on-campus technical interview the next week. Met the interviewer for a fort-five minute interview. Question was not very hard but the interviewer tried to lead me through the problem piece by piece which may have ended up taking up a lot of the forty five minutes. After the guiding questions such as traversing graphs and writing a quick function on calculating the different sides of the die given only 3 sides, I was asked to use pseudo code to write up the solution. I had about 15 minutes left. Afterwards, the interviewer asked if I had any questions and that I would get a response by the end of the week. At the end of the week, I got the verdict.

Interview Questions
    • Given a square grid of of any size and a six sided die which has the property of a constant sum for every pair opposing sides, find the smallest cost (sum of the numbers showing up on the top of the die) to get to some location elsewhere on the grid by rolling the die in that direction. The die starts on the bottom left corner of the grid. Hints include representing the grid as a graph and possibly using depth first search.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at athenahealth.

You will need to solve a take-home coding puzzle first before considered for on-site interview. Everyone I met during the onsite interview is great to talk to. You will meet two architects and need to pass two coding puzzles. I didn't finish the second puzzle in time and wasn't offer a position. I really like their culture and they are looking for talent not someone with specific skill set.

Interview Questions
    • For both coding puzzle, I wasn't prepared being read to the puzzle. I was little nervous because this is my first on-site interview for such a great company. It took me some time to understand the puzzle.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I contacted them at a job fair at school. They emailed me a coding challenge the next week. The day after I submitted it I received notice to schedule an in-person interview. The next day I was scheduled for the following week. The in-person interview consisted of two hour-long cultural interviews and two 1 1/2 hour long technical interviews. The technical interviews consisted of answering a coding puzzle. They were difficult problems, which I don't expect most people would be able to code a solution for in only an hour.

The worst part was that their feedback afterwards was virtually non-existent. I didn't hear anything for nearly two weeks, despite emailing a couple of times, not even confirmation that they received the solutions to the coding challenges. I finally called the recruiter's cell phone to find out what was going on and he called back and said the technical interviews weren't strong enough. Why did it take them 2 weeks to tell me that? I really don't they they would have ever responded if I hadn't called.

Interview Questions
    • The technical interview questions were the paper folding problem and a "juggling" problem. Both were very complicated, and I wasn't able to finish either one in the time allotted. They said I could email them the solutions later, which I did in less than 12 hours after the interview, but apparently it wasn't good enough.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watertown, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at athenahealth.

I talked with Amber (HR), she sent me a quiz, I replied quickly. After that I followed up in 1 day, 3 days, 7 days, 1 month, 2 months, 3 months! Finally she replied and said she didn't receive my quiz and asked me to resent it. I did. Again no replies! The worst sloppiest HR in the whole US. good luck!

Software Developer Interview

First round was a brief phone interview with an HR representative. Following the phone interview, I was given a coding challenge to solve and send back. After they checked my solution, I was invited for a 5-hour on-site interview at their Watertown headquarters. Everyone I met with was very friendly, and the office seemed like a fun place to be. My on-site interview started with a one-hour lunch in their cafeteria with a software developer. This interview was fairly casual and more conversational than a typical interview. The interviewer asked me about past projects I had worked on and told me about his job and athenahealth. Following lunch, I was given a brief tour of the office. There was a room of people playing Go (it was still lunch time, and employee-initiated clubs are a thing). They also have a stash of board games for fun. :)

The next interview was a 90-minute technical interview during which I was to design and implement a game and an algorithm to solve the game. After that, I had an hour-long interview during which I was asked again about past projects I had worked on. Following that was another 90-minute technical interview which was similar in nature to the previous one. During the technicals, I was free to ask clarifying questions, and my interviewers sometimes helped me by pointing out syntax errors.

I'm a bit slow, so time was a problem for me. For one of my technicals, I was still debugging when my time was up. I don't think the problems were difficult, but for me, thinking under pressure and trying to implement fully-functioning code in the allotted time was a challenge. The best way to prepare for the technical interviews is probably to practice designing, implementing, and debugging algorithms frequently so that you can learn to do it faster. I would recommend trying Project Euler problems, but any non-trivial problem(s) should do.

Again, the people were really nice, and their culture is casual and start-up-ish. Lots of young people.

Interview Questions
    • It's all a matter of perspective - for me, the most difficult question was, "What's the most challenging (coding) project you've worked on?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watertown, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at athenahealth in January 2014.

My initial communication was also my last communication. I talked with the HR representative on the phone. She was very pleasant and said that judging by my resume, I would be a good fit for the position. At the end of the conversation, she said that she would email a 'coding challenge' that should take no more than 4 hours to complete. I got it and finished it within the time constraints, mailed it back and then heard nothing, not even a 'thank you we're not interested'.

Interview Questions
    • It seems that glassdoor will not allow me to post the entire question, but I can summarize by saying that you need to find the position of a string of up to 20 characters [A - Z] without generating all possible permutations. It has to run in less than 1 second, so an O(n) solution is preferable.   View Answer