athenahealth

Average Difficulty
24 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Developer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at athenahealth.

Interview Details – You will need to solve a take-home coding puzzle first before considered for on-site interview. Everyone I met during the onsite interview is great to talk to. You will meet two architects and need to pass two coding puzzles. I didn't finish the second puzzle in time and wasn't offer a position. I really like their culture and they are looking for talent not someone with specific skill set.

Interview Question – For both coding puzzle, I wasn't prepared being read to the puzzle. I was little nervous because this is my first on-site interview for such a great company. It took me some time to understand the puzzle.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

San Mateo, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at athenahealth.

Interview Details – I contacted them at a job fair at school. They emailed me a coding challenge the next week. The day after I submitted it I received notice to schedule an in-person interview. The next day I was scheduled for the following week. The in-person interview consisted of two hour-long cultural interviews and two 1 1/2 hour long technical interviews. The technical interviews consisted of answering a coding puzzle. They were difficult problems, which I don't expect most people would be able to code a solution for in only an hour.

The worst part was that their feedback afterwards was virtually non-existent. I didn't hear anything for nearly two weeks, despite emailing a couple of times, not even confirmation that they received the solutions to the coding challenges. I finally called the recruiter's cell phone to find out what was going on and he called back and said the technical interviews weren't strong enough. Why did it take them 2 weeks to tell me that? I really don't they they would have ever responded if I hadn't called.

Interview Question – The technical interview questions were the paper folding problem and a "juggling" problem. Both were very complicated, and I wasn't able to finish either one in the time allotted. They said I could email them the solutions later, which I did in less than 12 hours after the interview, but apparently it wasn't good enough.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Watertown, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 months - interviewed at athenahealth.

Interview Details – I talked with Amber (HR), she sent me a quiz, I replied quickly. After that I followed up in 1 day, 3 days, 7 days, 1 month, 2 months, 3 months! Finally she replied and said she didn't receive my quiz and asked me to resent it. I did. Again no replies! The worst sloppiest HR in the whole US. good luck!

Interview Question – simple programming question   Answer Question

Interviewed at athenahealth

Interview Details – First round was a brief phone interview with an HR representative. Following the phone interview, I was given a coding challenge to solve and send back. After they checked my solution, I was invited for a 5-hour on-site interview at their Watertown headquarters. Everyone I met with was very friendly, and the office seemed like a fun place to be. My on-site interview started with a one-hour lunch in their cafeteria with a software developer. This interview was fairly casual and more conversational than a typical interview. The interviewer asked me about past projects I had worked on and told me about his job and athenahealth. Following lunch, I was given a brief tour of the office. There was a room of people playing Go (it was still lunch time, and employee-initiated clubs are a thing). They also have a stash of board games for fun. :)

The next interview was a 90-minute technical interview during which I was to design and implement a game and an algorithm to solve the game. After that, I had an hour-long interview during which I was asked again about past projects I had worked on. Following that was another 90-minute technical interview which was similar in nature to the previous one. During the technicals, I was free to ask clarifying questions, and my interviewers sometimes helped me by pointing out syntax errors.

I'm a bit slow, so time was a problem for me. For one of my technicals, I was still debugging when my time was up. I don't think the problems were difficult, but for me, thinking under pressure and trying to implement fully-functioning code in the allotted time was a challenge. The best way to prepare for the technical interviews is probably to practice designing, implementing, and debugging algorithms frequently so that you can learn to do it faster. I would recommend trying Project Euler problems, but any non-trivial problem(s) should do.

Again, the people were really nice, and their culture is casual and start-up-ish. Lots of young people.

Interview Question – It's all a matter of perspective - for me, the most difficult question was, "What's the most challenging (coding) project you've worked on?"   Answer Question

Watertown, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at athenahealth in January 2014.

Interview Details – My initial communication was also my last communication. I talked with the HR representative on the phone. She was very pleasant and said that judging by my resume, I would be a good fit for the position. At the end of the conversation, she said that she would email a 'coding challenge' that should take no more than 4 hours to complete. I got it and finished it within the time constraints, mailed it back and then heard nothing, not even a 'thank you we're not interested'.

Interview Question – It seems that glassdoor will not allow me to post the entire question, but I can summarize by saying that you need to find the position of a string of up to 20 characters [A - Z] without generating all possible permutations. It has to run in less than 1 second, so an O(n) solution is preferable.   View Answer

Watertown, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at athenahealth in November 2013.

Interview Details – Met athena at a campus career fair, and was scheduled for a 45 minute interview on campus a week later. I was told it would be mostly behavioral and a couple of technical questions, but when I arrived the entire 45 minutes was solely to complete one puzzle. I thought I bombed the puzzle, but was invited back to their Watertown HQ for a second interview.

The second interview was 25 minutes with the employee that escorted me to their office, another hour behavioral section with another, higher-level employee, and then a 1.5 hour technical interview where I had to design and code a solution to the given problem. After spending 30 mins designing, the remaining hour was not enough time for me to complete my code, and I did not feel my performance was strong.

People were all very kind and interesting.

Interview Question – Out of respect for their policies I do not want to detail the problems I was given.   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at athenahealth.

Interview Details – Stopped by their booth at a Career Fair
1st Interview took place the day after, and consisted of one technical question
Next interview was an on site which took 6 hours, all transportation and hotel fees were reimbursed
Onsite consisted of an interview with a lead developer, hour long technical interview, tour of the place, and some food and hanging out with some devs for an hour at the end

Interview Question – The two technical questions were both engaging and a lot of fun to work through. Wouldn't want to spoil anything for you.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didn't negotiate

Software Developer

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at athenahealth in August 2013.

Interview Details – It took phone call and on site interview. On site interview took around 5 hours.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Got another offer

Very Difficult Interview

Software Developer

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at athenahealth in April 2013.

Interview Details – I had several phone screens with HR before receiving an invitation to meet with technical staff at the athenhealth office in Watertown, MA.

The interview process kicked off during lunch with a software developer, including informal discussion of athenahealth products and my own professional experience described in my resume. During this part of the interview, the interviewer related a story of a colleague who attempted a lateral move within athenahealth's organization--apparently, in an attempt to escape a difficult business travel schedule. I was saddened to learn that the interviewer's colleague was not able to transfer, since she failed the interview process for the internal position to which she'd hoped to transfer. She had been with athenahealth only two years and was forced to leave the company. I learned that internal applicants do not receive preference at athenahealth and are subject to the company's strict, highly selective interview and hiring process.

After the lunch interview, I participated in one 90-minute programming exercise monitored by a software developer, one interview with senior technical staff (architect), and finally, one more 90-minute programming exercise monitored by another software developer. The technical exercises were challenging and required brainstorming to work out example cases of an algorithm, followed by a formal description of the algorithm, and lastly, a working implementation of the algorithm.

The entire interview ran from ~11:30am until ~5:15pm.

I never received HR feedback on my interview, nor did I receive responses to my follow-up emails 1 week after the interview.

Overall, I have mixed feelings about the experience. The employees I met seemed mostly pleasant, although I sensed an undercurrent of nervousness and stress. They are keen to hire to a "cultural fit" standard defined around puzzle-solving. It is similar to the interview process at Google and Amazon, but with a twist. The marketing and recruitment videos are well produced and made me interested in learning more about the company. But the lack of HR communication makes me wonder if athenahealth does enough to make a good impression on candidates. Interviewing is a two-way street! And the relative lack of internal mobiliity in athenahealth also worries me.

Interview Question – Characterize a juggling pattern using site-swap notation.   Answer Question

Software Developer

I applied through a staffing agency and interviewed at athenahealth.

Interview Details – I have had really bad experience with twice in a row. A few months back I had applied at Athena, after a month or so I received some messages to set up an initial phone screening with Amber Jackson. I spoke with her and she said after the phone call she will send me a puzzle to solve. But guess what she never sent me any puzzle. Neither did she reply to my messages. A few months later, a consultant sent my resume to Athena. The consultant gave me the puzzle which was sent to her by Amber. I solved the puzzle and asked Amber to acknowledge that she has received my solution. From that day onwards no reply yet, its been months.

Interview Question – Puzzle to solve are fairly time consuming.   Answer Question

Worked for athenahealth? Contribute to the Community!