athenahealth Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Sep 23, 2014

3.4

26 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at athenahealth.

You will need to solve a take-home coding puzzle first before considered for on-site interview. Everyone I met during the onsite interview is great to talk to. You will meet two architects and need to pass two coding puzzles. I didn't finish the second puzzle in time and wasn't offer a position. I really like their culture and they are looking for talent not someone with specific skill set.

Interview Questions
  • For both coding puzzle, I wasn't prepared being read to the puzzle. I was little nervous because this is my first on-site interview for such a great company. It took me some time to understand the puzzle.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for athenahealth

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Mateo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at athenahealth.

I contacted them at a job fair at school. They emailed me a coding challenge the next week. The day after I submitted it I received notice to schedule an in-person interview. The next day I was scheduled for the following week. The in-person interview consisted of two hour-long cultural interviews and two 1 1/2 hour long technical interviews. The technical interviews consisted of answering a coding puzzle. They were difficult problems, which I don't expect most people would be able to code a solution for in only an hour.

The worst part was that their feedback afterwards was virtually non-existent. I didn't hear anything for nearly two weeks, despite emailing a couple of times, not even confirmation that they received the solutions to the coding challenges. I finally called the recruiter's cell phone to find out what was going on and he called back and said the technical interviews weren't strong enough. Why did it take them 2 weeks to tell me that? I really don't they they would have ever responded if I hadn't called.

Interview Questions
    • The technical interview questions were the paper folding problem and a "juggling" problem. Both were very complicated, and I wasn't able to finish either one in the time allotted. They said I could email them the solutions later, which I did in less than 12 hours after the interview, but apparently it wasn't good enough.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watertown, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 months - interviewed at athenahealth.

I talked with Amber (HR), she sent me a quiz, I replied quickly. After that I followed up in 1 day, 3 days, 7 days, 1 month, 2 months, 3 months! Finally she replied and said she didn't receive my quiz and asked me to resent it. I did. Again no replies! The worst sloppiest HR in the whole US. good luck!

Software Developer Interview

First round was a brief phone interview with an HR representative. Following the phone interview, I was given a coding challenge to solve and send back. After they checked my solution, I was invited for a 5-hour on-site interview at their Watertown headquarters. Everyone I met with was very friendly, and the office seemed like a fun place to be. My on-site interview started with a one-hour lunch in their cafeteria with a software developer. This interview was fairly casual and more conversational than a typical interview. The interviewer asked me about past projects I had worked on and told me about his job and athenahealth. Following lunch, I was given a brief tour of the office. There was a room of people playing Go (it was still lunch time, and employee-initiated clubs are a thing). They also have a stash of board games for fun. :)

The next interview was a 90-minute technical interview during which I was to design and implement a game and an algorithm to solve the game. After that, I had an hour-long interview during which I was asked again about past projects I had worked on. Following that was another 90-minute technical interview which was similar in nature to the previous one. During the technicals, I was free to ask clarifying questions, and my interviewers sometimes helped me by pointing out syntax errors.

I'm a bit slow, so time was a problem for me. For one of my technicals, I was still debugging when my time was up. I don't think the problems were difficult, but for me, thinking under pressure and trying to implement fully-functioning code in the allotted time was a challenge. The best way to prepare for the technical interviews is probably to practice designing, implementing, and debugging algorithms frequently so that you can learn to do it faster. I would recommend trying Project Euler problems, but any non-trivial problem(s) should do.

Again, the people were really nice, and their culture is casual and start-up-ish. Lots of young people.

Interview Questions
    • It's all a matter of perspective - for me, the most difficult question was, "What's the most challenging (coding) project you've worked on?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watertown, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at athenahealth in January 2014.

My initial communication was also my last communication. I talked with the HR representative on the phone. She was very pleasant and said that judging by my resume, I would be a good fit for the position. At the end of the conversation, she said that she would email a 'coding challenge' that should take no more than 4 hours to complete. I got it and finished it within the time constraints, mailed it back and then heard nothing, not even a 'thank you we're not interested'.

Interview Questions
    • It seems that glassdoor will not allow me to post the entire question, but I can summarize by saying that you need to find the position of a string of up to 20 characters [A - Z] without generating all possible permutations. It has to run in less than 1 second, so an O(n) solution is preferable.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at athenahealth.

Stopped by their booth at a Career Fair
    1st Interview took place the day after, and consisted of one technical question
    Next interview was an on site which took 6 hours, all transportation and hotel fees were reimbursed
    Onsite consisted of an interview with a lead developer, hour long technical interview, tour of the place, and some food and hanging out with some devs for an hour at the end

Interview Questions
    • The two technical questions were both engaging and a lot of fun to work through. Wouldn't want to spoil anything for you.   Answer Question
    Didn't negotiate

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watertown, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at athenahealth in November 2013.

Met athena at a campus career fair, and was scheduled for a 45 minute interview on campus a week later. I was told it would be mostly behavioral and a couple of technical questions, but when I arrived the entire 45 minutes was solely to complete one puzzle. I thought I bombed the puzzle, but was invited back to their Watertown HQ for a second interview.

The second interview was 25 minutes with the employee that escorted me to their office, another hour behavioral section with another, higher-level employee, and then a 1.5 hour technical interview where I had to design and code a solution to the given problem. After spending 30 mins designing, the remaining hour was not enough time for me to complete my code, and I did not feel my performance was strong.

People were all very kind and interesting.

Interview Questions
    • Out of respect for their policies I do not want to detail the problems I was given.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Alpharetta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at athenahealth in October 2013.

I was contacted by an internal recruiter and asked a few general questions about my skills and what I was currently doing. This person really concentrated on telling me how great Athena was and what a good work environment they have. They cared about career development for employees, had really good benefits, and I'd get to work with a lot of nice, smart people.

After that, I was told there was a programming puzzle to solve before I came in for an onsite interview. I could use any language I wanted and take as long as I wanted. He sent me the puzzle and said let me know when I was ready to submit.

It was a fairly difficult problem that really involved more statistics than it did programming. I had a few questions about the puzzle, but I could only talk to the non-technical recruiter, so that wasn't much help. I was pretty busy that week, so I worked on it over the weekend and submitted an answer that was correct according to their specs. But, they did not understand the output(I admit, it was complex), so they just told me to try again.

I didn't get a chance to work on it until the next weekend, and I created a new program that gave them exactly what they wanted. I submitted Monday and it passed all the test cases they gave me initially. But, they tried some other test cases and found a small bug.

I fixed the bug and submitted again. Then, it passed completely.

They asked me to come in for an onsite interview which would last 5-6 hours (aka "an entire day") at which point I refused. I had already taken 2 weekends to show them I was capable. Another day long interview was going way overboard. If they have this little respect for my time and I'm NOT an employee, I wonder how they treat people that are actually on their payroll.

Interview Questions
    • The programming puzzle was difficult and I was not even given the opportunity to clarify any questions with one of their developers.   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at athenahealth in August 2013.

It took phone call and on site interview. On site interview took around 5 hours.

Got another offer

Software Developer Interview

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at athenahealth.

I have had really bad experience with twice in a row. A few months back I had applied at Athena, after a month or so I received some messages to set up an initial phone screening with Amber Jackson. I spoke with her and she said after the phone call she will send me a puzzle to solve. But guess what she never sent me any puzzle. Neither did she reply to my messages. A few months later, a consultant sent my resume to Athena. The consultant gave me the puzzle which was sent to her by Amber. I solved the puzzle and asked Amber to acknowledge that she has received my solution. From that day onwards no reply yet, its been months.

Interview Questions

Worked for athenahealth? Contribute to the Community!