cPanel

Updated Feb 10, 2015

3.3

Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at cPanel.

You'll first be asked to develop a module, which you'll submit via the web. Next, they'll give you a phone interview covering standard Linux and Perl, then lastly you'll be invited to their office for a whiteboard coding session, followed by lunch.

Interview Questions
    • what command would you run to check if a process is running   View Answer

Development Facilitator (Scrum Master) Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at cPanel.

I Found this position posted on LinkedIn (was already 22 days old) and checked th company website to see if it was available since it was almost a month old. The position was still available so I applied and within an hour I was being told management was considering my resume. An hour later I got an email saying they wanted to set up a phone interview and with whom. By this time it was about 10:30pm or a little later so I decided to wait until the morning to send my email.

The next day I had a busy morning and by 9:30 I already had an email and a missed call from them saying they wanted to schedule a phone interview with me. I was excited because they seemed so anxious to interview me and I really wanted to work for this company. They gave me a date for when the interviewers would be available and I accepted the date and time for my interview.

"Deep technical knowledge of our products and software development is not required. In the agile development community, this job is called the Scrum Master. We are willing to train the right candidates to be effective Scrum Masters" This is what the post said. I have held this position before for a few months and already knew a good deal of it but not enough to be considered a professional or an expert. I was still new to it. I was excited because I wanted more training and wanted to gain my certification as a certified Scrum Master. I studied and brushed up on the position and just knew I was ready. All they required was a high school diploma or equivalent. They didn't even say a bachelors degree was preferred. I thought this would be my next position and that I had it in the bag.

Time for the interview came around... They had me on speaker mode and I could barely hear what they were saying to me. They asked me two questions about myself but nothing about my job history, or any of my previous experience. They asked me complex questions that were strictly related to the position that someone who had been in the position for a while who had had proper training would know. It seemed that what they were asking for in the job description was not at all on par with what they were looking for. Needless to say during the interview I got nervous and disheartened. Shortly after the interview was done I got the rejection email. I feel like the interview was not thorough and didn't ask the right questions.

Interview Questions
    • If someone on your team finishes all of there work during a sprint but has low velocity how do you handle of fix the situation?   Answer Question

cPanel Response

Sep 30, 2014Director of Development Oprations

I am Eric Ellis, the hiring manager for Scrum Master, Perl Developer, UI Developer, and a few other jobs here at cPanel. We review resumes constantly! If I am awake and connected to the internet, I ... More

Marketing and Event Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at cPanel in January 2014.

Was notified that I was selected to interview for the position. Had a panel interview with 2 team members and the Chief Business Officer. I was told over 216 people had applied for this position. I felt I defiantly was qualified for the position but felt I was perhaps a little too corporate for the team so I was completely shocked when I received a notification that I had made it to the next step in the interviewing process.

Interview Questions
    • The second interview was a test: I was given a budget of $1,000 and 7 business days to create an event for the team of 10. Entertain them for three hours at an off-site location. This was to show my creativity and how well I worked under pressure.   View Answer

Technical Analyst I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at cPanel in May 2013.

I applied online and got an email back shortly thereafter. They scheduled a phone interview for me, and were right on time. They asked some questions, and scheduled a second interview. After the second one, they extended me an offer and I accepted. They relocated me to Houston Texas, and I proceeded to do a week long training.

*NIX Technical Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at cPanel in September 2012.

Did a phone interview with this company, two people on call. Answered most questions correctly.But within seconds of giving interview I got an email that I was not selected.That was way too fast to make a decision ,especially when the interview went well..

*NIX Technical Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at cPanel in May 2012.

Applied online through cPanel's website. They are very good about communicating with you via email and I scheduled a phone interview that consisted of an HR person and the hiring manager. They asked some questions about various technologies and whether or not I was familiar with them. They indicated they wanted to set up an in person interview at their office. I scheduled the interview for a few days later. I arrived at the office and was greeted by the same HR person I spoke with on the phone and was taken to a conference room at their office. The hiring manager came into the room and I was asked to solve some problems on an example/test server using the command line and whatever Internet resources (Read: Google) I wanted. There were 3 different scenarios I had to resolve, of which I only answered one correctly. That was the entirety of the interview. In fact, I wouldn't really call it an interview, but more of a strict skills test. They simply want to know if you have the skills necessary to do the job, which I completely understand, but it obviously doesn't allow the interviewee to highlight their background and skills. I was told I would find out about the job a week later, but was never contacted.

Interview Questions
    • A MySQL server starts up with an error. Figure out what is causing the error and get it started properly.   Answer Question
    • Trying to install a package. Gives an error. Figure out why it isn't working   Answer Question
    • Exim returns an error. Figure out why.   Answer Question

UI Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at cPanel in April 2011.

After sending in a resume I was contacted by a recruiter and she gave me a design assignment. After completed the design in 1 day I went through to the next step.

They invited me to Houston. I was told that I will be interviewed by the manager, but they decided to do lunch interview. Interview felt rushed. I don't even get a chance to present my portfolio. Somehow I feel they are very disorganized and not prepared. One of the interviewer was wearing short. I understand that some employer have casual dress code, but interviewing a candidate wearing a short is unacceptable.

A disorganized company.