d-fine Interview Questions

2.5

Financial Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at d-fine.

Applied online with CV and cover letter, was invited to a face-to-face interview shortly.

Very pleasant experience of talking to one of the partners and head of the office.

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at d-fine.

Interviewed with two directors, an hour with each. One told about the company, the other went through my CV.

Interview Questions
    • It was unexpected that they didn't ask any brain teasers.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Very uncomplicated, applied online and was offered an interview shortly after.

Interview Questions
    • There where really no hard questions at all, it was more like a normal conversation about. I had to talk about my undergraduate thesis and that was basically it   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

I applied online - interviewed at d-fine.

I attended the 'science in finance' workshop. It's a pretty well organized workshop that gives you an insight into the kind of work that they do and the kind of people they are. The workshop deals with CDO pricing. There are lectures by the consultants and you work in groups that are decided beforehand. It's quite hectic and there isn't any time to enjoy the hotel or it's fancy services etc.
    The consultants as well as the applicants invited to the workshop are extremely nerdy. It's quite common to get involved in a conversation regarding someone's boring research ;)
    The atmosphere is very similar to a scientific conference with socially awkward researchers :)
    If you are a nerd, or like to hang out with nerds, this is the company for you!

Interview Questions
    • The consultants will ask questions in a manner to test your reaction to pressure.   Answer Question

Consultantnsultant Interview

I applied online, and got an invitation.
    The interview was on German and took allmost 3 hours.
    I talked to 3 different persons.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at d-fine in October 2013.

Applied with a CV and cover letter, and a fortnight later had two one-on-one interviews. First interview focused on my background, the company itself, and what the role specifically involves. The second on technical aspects, such as programming experience and put/call options. Both interviewers were friendly and happy to take any questions.

Interview Questions
    • How has object oriented programming been important in your work? Construct a portfolio of options to match a given payoff curve. What factors might affect the form of this curve?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at d-fine in January 2013.

2 managers and one partner interview you separately one after the other

Consultant In Germany Interview

Applied online with CV and all application documents.Got invitation for interview in Frankfurt.They are located in a small building with office space compact and small for each person.Nice HR interaction and then went for 3:1:1 interview.Really the first two interviews went nice and the interviewers were really nice to me.first one about competence based questions and second one regarding quantitative questions.I felt the second one was so easy and probably the interviewer himself was not much thorough on it.But it well nice.Then the partner interviwed me and he was not so nice to me and was in a hurry and tried to wind up it as soon as possible.He asked few questions related to programming in C++ and Matlab etc.

pros: They combine math+IT work with consultancy and provide a perfect platform for a computer science /maths or physics guy without Finance experience to start a career in it.

cons: Building space so small and compact that it was suffocating.One of the interviewer did not know some basic things on basic maths and do not know how he practises with the clients.They are a small team pretty disorganized, do mostly IT works for their clients.

Overall I did not get the offer but, it was a letdown from my side.They are really not upto their promises of their job advertisements.But for a IT oriented guy it might be a good destination not for some one looking for quant work.

Interview Questions
    • Correlation between ARCH(1) process and stochastic volatility models?   Answer Question
    • 1000 floors of a big building and two light bulbs you have.There is a unique floor such that dropping a glass bulb from all floors up from this one will make it break.You have two glass bulbs and define an algorithm to find that unique floor with minimum complexity.   Answer Question
    • Can swap market model pricing and Libor market model pricing , both black scholes type hold together consistently ?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at d-fine in September 2012.

Applied for Germany as well as London and Hong Kong, but got the answer that they only hire interns in Frankfurt and that they invite me for an interview there. Took about one hour and was only with one Senior Consultant, who was a Phd in Mathematics from a German university. He asked about one grade in school that wasn't as good as he expected and seemed to already have prejudged me on that. Furthermore I had to say some things about my CV, but there weren't a lot of inquiries. Then he asked me to explain him what a derivation is, which I explained on the basis of the Black Scholes formula and the Greeks. I think that gave me a plus factor, as I pretty much knew what Greek corresponds to which derivation.

The second question was a Brainteaser, which surprised me because he told me before that he would ask a quite difficult mathematical question. It was about people that need to go over a bridge in a specific time frame, only two can go at a time, they all take differently long and one always needs to go back to bring the others the flashlight back, cause its dark. It was not very difficult and the interviewer was pretty confused regarding the exact times.

In the end he told me sth about his current project cause I asked about it and some basic stuff about the company policies, which I already knew from looking at the webside.
    All in all he was very coolish, not looking me in the eyes and I thought they would send me letter of refusal. But in the end I got the offer!

Interview Questions
    • Four men want to cross a bridge. They all begin on the same side. It is night, and they have only one flashlight with them. At most two men can cross the bridge at a time, and any party who crosses, either one or two people, must have the flashlight with them.
      The flashlight must be walked back and forth: it cannot be thrown, etc. Each man walks at a different speed. A pair must walk together at the speed of the slower man. Man 1 needs 1 minute to cross the bridge, man 2 needs 2 minutes, man 3 needs 5 minutes, and man 4 needs 10 minutes. For example, if man 1 and man 3 walk across together, they need 5 minutes. How can all four men cross the bridge in 17 minutes?
        View Answer
    As it was only for an internship I already knew that I would get 1000€ fixed, plus travel expenses payed and a fixed amount for eating.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at d-fine in September 2011.

Applied online after a small chat with HR.

Got invited 2 weeks later. Arrived 10 minutes early, got place in a waiting room. Everybody passing by seemed to ignore me.The Interview process consisted of 3 1:1 interviews.

The first with a manager (somewhere medium in the hierarchy), second with senior manager, third with a partner.

Each interview took about 30 minutes. Got handed over to the following interviewer without a break.

First interview was very pleasant. He described the company, what and where and with whom they are doing business with. So basically he spoke for 20 mins and ask very very basical questions about CV and what I think caused the crisis.

Second interview was unpleasant and irritating. The guy, he was a physics PhD, seemed to be a hard liner and didn't smile, didn't even offer me to sit. very uncharismatic. After he very rigidly introduced himself he wanted me to do the same in a formal manner. Had to describe my Master thesis in english. What made it worse was the fact, that he did not seem to listen at all. He was scribling his block with his impressions about me and barely looked me in the eyes. He was very thorough with questions about the thesis. Asked me some questions about derivatives. What are CDS, put, call options. Asked about programming experience and what virtual functions are and such. Didn't smile once.

Third interview with partner was pleasant again. Asked again why the crisis. What German banks had problems and why. Asked some rather random programming questions. Asket some CV related things again.

Questions were not hard. But it was my first ever interview so I screwed it up in the second interview. I guess this was just a chance meeting this guy. Others appear ok.

Overall I have a negative impression somehow. In retrospect I am lucky I did not end up there.

Interview Questions
    • Draw an unspecified payoff diagram for a call option. In which region is the price of the option?   Answer Question

Worked for d-fine? Contribute to the Community!