drillinginfo

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

2.8

Geologist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at drillinginfo.

I applied for the job within the first week it was posted and got an email within 2 weeks saying that I got a phone interview. I was interviewed by one of the geologists, although the whole team was on the line. The questions were pretty standard and it lasted about 20 minutes. 5 days later I got another email asking me to come in for an in-person interview which lasted about 1.5 hours. Again, it was with the whole geology team and I had to give a short geologic presentation. One week later, I got an email with an offer letter attached from the man who will be my boss.

Interview Questions
    • Are you a qualitative or quantitative person?   View Answer

Geologist Entry-level Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at drillinginfo in August 2014.

A few days after applying to the ad through their website, I received an email saying they were interested and asking to confirm a time and date for a phone interview the following week.

For the phone interview, the interviewer quickly introduced himself and noted that also in the room were members of the geology team. After a brief pause (as I figured he was going to introduce them) he moved on with the interview. First asking me to go over my work and educational history from my resume and then some questions of what I know about the company, my experience with geologic applications, and some additional common interview questions. Near the end I was given a chance to ask a question. Then I was told at the end that if I didn't hear anything by Thursday (interview was on a Monday) they were moving on to other candidates.

At the end of the interview I asked to confirm his name, because I didn't catch all of his last name and wanted to have it to send a thank you. He proceeded to repeat it and that he was also in the room with other members of the geology team. In retrospect this was the hint that they wanted me to directly inquire about who else was in the room. Having never been put in that situation before on a phone interview, admittedly I didn't handle it correctly. So overall, it wasn't my best interview as it started off awkwardly, which caused me to never get comfortable. Compared to other phone interviews, which felt more like conversations, this one felt a little more like a Q&A session. For some additional perspective, of the hand full of phone interviews I have done, this one was the first and last one that did not result in a face to face interview. So I usually do fairly well on the phone, which is unfortunate, as I felt well qualified and was genuinely excited for this opportunity.

Interview Questions
    • Are you quantitative or qualitative?   Answer Question
    • Take us through your educational and work experience on your resume.   View Answer

GIS Technician I Interview

Interviewed by three team members, follow up in person interview with the same team members. Standard questions, make sure you have a good "weakest" answer. Looked for the right fit on aptitude and on personality. A week later was offered a job and started a few weeks after that. Pretty simple interview process.

No negotiation

Project Manager II Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at drillinginfo in February 2014.

After applying online, the first point of contact was an initial phone screen (30 min) with one of the senior members of the PMO office. Questions were general and about what I was looking for and employment history. The next step was another 30 min phone screen with the same senior member and the PMO director. We again reviewed my employment history and I was asked some skills questions regarding project management and behavioral questions about how I handled tough situations as a project manager (e.g difficult team members).

The final step was an on-site interview. This was a series of two panel interviews over 2.5 hours and where things got tougher. The first hour was with the PMO office team members (4 people) and I was asked more behavioral questions (e.g. introducing organizational change, handling difficult people in meetings, time that I failed). The second hour was with key leaders for each of the technical areas (5 people) which centered on my background and experience. The last half hour was a 1x1 with the PMO director where I had the opportunity to ask any final questions.

Overall I felt communication throughout the process was good and I was well informed and read into what they are looking for. The panel interviews were rather dry so it was hard to get a sense of the culture. Each person felt they really enjoyed the people they worked with but I could not get a read for that.

Interview Questions
    • I had a number of questions around dealing with difficult people - how to keep project team members who don't get along and how to handle people who dominate meetings I am leading.   Answer Question

Senior Reporting Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at drillinginfo in August 2013.

Interview process was efficient and pleasant. I first met who would be my Controller as well as the company recruiter. They were very easy to talk to and the interview felt relaxed on my end. The second interview was at the company headquarters. I met the Controller again as well as the CFO, two financial analysts, and a sales manager. I also had the chance to walk around the office to get a good feel of it. The interview was long but having the chance to talk to so many people allowed me to get their take on how they liked working there, both professionally and personally.

Interview Questions
    • My interviews were mostly behavioral and more focused on getting to know my personality to see if I was a good fit at DI. The most difficult question I received was "What is your favorite movie."   View Answer

Data Entry Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at drillinginfo.

Online assessment of skills and typing ability followed by a phone interview with HR. After the phone interview there was a one on one with the hiring manager and then about a week later a phone call with the offer.

No negotiation

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online – interviewed at drillinginfo in March 2012.

Pyscholocgical/Personity screening test followed by panel phone interview and In person Interview

Interview Questions
    • Why do have so much difficultly x, y, and z/whatever it is that your profile says you MIGHT be/might have difficulty with, stated as a fact. e.g. Why are you so overly concerned with your social status in the office? why would people say that about you?   View Answers (2)

Corporate Counsel Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at drillinginfo in October 2011.

Where are you on the scale of job, career, cause, mission.

Interview Questions
    The company made an offer, and I immediately accepted it.

GIS Technician III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online – interviewed at drillinginfo in August 2010.

Heard about job through college advisor, but they will also post on job boards and craigslist. Emailed resume and cover letter to head of GIS department, was sent a personality test of sorts that I took online. Interview took place at office; I took a "GIS test" to prove I had knowledge of basic ArcGIS functions. Was told I was not a suitable candidate at the time via email, but then was called back a few weeks later and offered the job.

Interview Questions
    Since it was an entry level job, there was no negotiation.

Engineering Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at drillinginfo in May 2011.

Meet with 2 executives and some software developers. The talk is casual, but I am not sure whom they are looking for (the software developer OR the developer who is also capable of mathematical modeling OR the developer who is also capable of both mathematical modeling and petroleum modeling???). Really confused...