drugstore.com

Interviews for Top Jobs at drugstore.com

Senior Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at drugstore.com in January 2012.

The interview was one of the most unprofessional experiences I have ever seen with regards to the interview process. The first individual who interviewed me hadn't booked a conference room, so we ended up moving locations three different times, as those who *had* booked showed up for their room. During that time, the first individual also answered a phone call during the interview. His demeanor was downtrodden and disinterested, with very few poignant or difficult questions. The hiring manager I interviewed with next, and while he was a nice enough guy, I can't say for sure that he had any level of faith that the company was a healthy one. Overall, the company seemed desperate to hire anyone with a pulse, and I attribute that to the fact that the current junior engineer was indeed lacking that requirement.

Interview Questions

I chose to decline the offer because frankly the entire environment seemed incredibly depressing, and the scope of the job seemed rather limited. I simply couldn't see myself having to lead the junior engineer who interviewed me.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at drugstore.com in April 2010.

Contacted by hiring manager, setup a phone screen.
    Phone screen was good. Called by one of the Enterprise architects, and was basically a discussion about the new/old technologies available and how they compared. From what I heard, this was not a typical phone screen.

I was brought in for a set of interviews a couple weeks later.
    First interviewer asked if I had any Oracle experience, I said no, only MS Sql. He then proceeded to ask me Oracle and pl/sql questions for 40 minutes.
    Second interviewer was a new-hire himself, and asked me basic CS triva questions. ie: what is polymorphism? describe recursion?
    Third interviewer did not show, and they found someone else after ~20 minute wait. She ended up asking me a few linked-list related whiteboard questions: Find the nth-last element and determine if a linked list is cyclic.

Interview Questions
    • Pl/Sql questions took me for a loop, as I'd never done them. But most of them were common sense.   Answer Question
    The offer was "firm" and no negotiating would be considered.

Marketing Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at drugstore.com in November 2011.

The interview process itself was very standard, but how the management decided to handle the outcome was very unprofessional. I received the initial email from HR and had the first phone interview with him, which lasted about 20 mins. We then set up a second phone interview with the marketing manager, which lasted about 30 mins. The questions were pretty standard, asking me about my background and skills. The marketing manager then emailed me a marketing "test" consisting of various marketing and research scenarios, and how I would go about handling them. I completed the test and was scheduled for in-person interviews, meeting with various members of the department and company. The meetings went well and questions were very standard. After not hearing back regarding the outcome, I sent a follow-up email to the marketing manager, who then sent me another "test" regarding how I would strategically acquire and work with a client. The questions were very specific and targeted, and I had a feeling it might have been one of their real clients. I completed the test and the marketing manager told me they would be looking at next steps after the new year. I waited for the outcome and after hearing nothing, I followed up with them after the new year. I emailed and called both HR and the marketing manager, but there was no response. I believe that given the extensive process they put me through, they at least owed the courtesy of returning my calls with the outcome of their decision, even if they decided to hire someone else. Also, given the nature and extent of these "tests," I have a feeling they may have used my responses to cut corners on their own work. Overall, it was a very poor experience and very unprofessional. Be wary if they try to make you complete any of these "tests."