dunnhumby Interview Questions

Updated Sep 8, 2014

3.1

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at dunnhumby.

I was contacted by someone in the project management group for a phone interview. I was asked to quickly run through my previous experience and describe the role, challenges, deliverables, etc.

Everything seemed fine until I was abruptly interrupted toward the end. The only way I can accurately describe what happened next would be to say I was "dressed down". At this point it became clear that the woman I was speaking to never had any intention of hiring me and was having a very bad day. She proceeded to tell me all the reasons I was not a good fit for the role and actually got pretty personal making several remarks that explained to me how she didn't think I was a good IT employee in general. This was very surprising, especially since I had been in a much larger role at a fortune 5 company for the past 11 years.

Needless to say, there was no offer. If there was an offer of employment, I would have promptly declined it.

Intern Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at dunnhumby in November 2013.

The entire hiring process is really fast. Applied online, and got an email the very next day asking me to take an assessment test. The test had 2 parts - basic numerical problems and logical reasoning. The actual questions were quite easy, but the difficult part was time management. Don't linger on any question for too long. A week later, got contacted by a recruiter and arranged a phone interview in 10 days. In the phone interview, they mainly asked questions about past experiences and technical skills, also a few easy behavioral questions, like "tell me a time you have to push hard for your opinion", "give me three words how your team members describe you". A week later, the recruiter contacted me again to schedule an on site interview at their Cincinnati HQ, which consisted a dinner with recent graduate employees the night before, two 45 mins 1-to-1 interview, and a case study. I had 45 mins preparing for the case study, and 45 mins presenting it to an interviewer in informal conversations. 2 days after onsite, got a call offering the position.

Interview Questions
    • how tall is willis tower (tallest building in Chicago)?   View Answer
    They actually called me and asked for my desired pay level, and tried to match it.

Analytics Intern Interview

Phone interview. They were very delayed in getting back to my emails to initially set up the interview, and I ended up with about 24 hours notice.

Client Lead Interview

You really need to understand what it is they do and have a grasp for how important the culture is there. I would have been perfect for the position but I did not answer one of the questions they asked me correctly. As soon as I walked out of the interview the right answer immediately came to me. Funny how that works. I didn’t get an offer but if you have a Type A personality and can think on your feet then this would be an excellent opportunity. I’m very interested in this industry so I’ll most likely end up working for one of their competitors. Bottom line: Be prepared for the unexpected and stay relaxed. Best of luck!

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at dunnhumby.

Applied online, then took an online critical reading/quantitative analysis test they required. Had an on campus interview, but was not contacted further for an office interview.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you believe dunnhumby has worldwide clients and reached such a large scale when there are so many other successful strategic advice/consulting companies?   View Answer

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at dunnhumby in March 2013.

I applied online and was interviewed for a Director role. Company has a very different culture and one has to fit into the culture to get the job.

Step 1: Applied online and received a call from senior HR person in 2 days. It was a basic call, but the person was definitely knowledgeable in the area they were seeking the position for. The position was for Chicago, IL. After we spoke, HR person asked me to provide him with some times to meet a vice president of the company in Chicago.

Step 2: Met with Vice President for almost 2 hours in their Chicago office. It was a very detailed conversation about the position and the role. The questions were around how do I solve a retail problem. Remember, this company serves Kroger as their main client and also was trying to get other clients in retail. What I learnt during the interview process is that they have to seek permission from Kroger's management to get any new clients in retail industry. The person who interviewed me was open and offered a couple of roles for me. I chose one of them because of my previous career profile of interacting with clients and as well as my future career interests. He said he will get back to me as promptly HR person got back to me and asked me to come down to Cincinnati in the following week.

Step3: Flew in to Cincy for a day long trip and had almost 6 interviews in one day - one after the other. I had all types of people interviewing me about my experience and even about how would I solve the problems in retail. I had retail experience and also in advanced analytics; It was easy for me to solve the problems. For them, its all about Customer centric, though it is a consulting company. They do not care about helping Clients to solve the problems, but they fundamentally believe to be customer centric and want to learn more about customers. Its a very interesting concept, but might not always work in the industry and grow at the speed at which they are supposed to grow. One of the interviews was done by 3 people and I was given a case during the interview. They grilled me for 1 hr asking me questions around how do I solve the case and how do I think about changing some assortments in a retail store based on changing customer behaviors. I had strategy and analytics background and so went in a top down structure perspective to solve the problem. Later I got the feedback that they would like to solve the problems in bottoms up perspective.
       One of the interviewers was very intense - asking me questions how i would interact with buyers who have been with Kroger and worry about pennies as margin.I explained him in detail how to approach and how to solve the problem, because of my personal experience as a buyer.

Step4: I got immediate feedback in 4 business days that they like me but they have some concern about how I am approaching a problem. Their view is that they want me to solve the problem in a bottoms up perspective. I stood my ground and said its different in a strategy perspective and explained why I solved the problem the way I did. I was asked to meet Senior HR and my hiring manager again for lunch. It was another round of interviews during the process. They told me that they are a little concerned about how I am approaching to solve the problem. I challenged them how they would like to grow the business and address client's problems, if they are not thinking innovatively.

Bottom line, they would like you to think the way they think. They do not like to think differently in solving the problem.

As the last step in the process, HR person contacted my references that I gave. They are a little slow in the process and it reflects the growth of the company. They seem to have good working culture, based on other reviews and my own experience during the interview process. My worry is that they are completely centered around Kroger, just the way they are with Tesco in UK.

After almost 2.5 - 3 months in the process, they finally gave me the offer. But, it was too late and declined the offer. The offer was good, but I had a much better offer from else where.

Interview Questions
    • They give you a case (they will not tell you before you go to the interview) and ask you to analyze it in 45 mins. Then you have to present the case.   View Answer

They took a lot of time in processing the offer. I was worried about the way they were thinking in their approach to problem solving. Also, I had better monetary offer. Their offer is certainly competitive in the market place, but I had a much better offer from another employer.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at dunnhumby in October 2012.

I contacted them through my school's career website and was accepted for an interview. I had two interviews, one with an HR woman who was great, nice and an easy interviewer. Then I entered a room with two men, both software guys, who were complete jerks. They would ask a question, not necessarily technical, I would reply, and that would be the end of the dialogue, no feedback or additional questioning like a typical 'conversation'. They really made an effort for the interview to be uncomfortable.

Interview Questions
    • It was a technical question, they posed a situation where Krogers has two water bottles, and wants to promote one over another. In this case, Kroger Brand over Ice Mountain. They then give a background of the consumer that purchases water bottles and what they look for. The question comes at the end of the background where they ask how you would sell more of the Kroger brand without eating away too much at the Ice Mountain brand.   Answer Question

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at dunnhumby.

I had a pvhone interview that consisted of some basic questions on my prior experience and what amountedbto a verbal "test" on a particlar subject matter.

I then met with seven individuals in a five hour on-site interview. These people were heads of the areas my responsibilities would touch and a non-manager I would work closely with in thise areas. The questions I was asked were a combination of examples of my prior work and how I dealt with certain sitations as well as behavioural topics. Thye were more interested in if I would fit culturally.

I was provided lunch and several breaks.

Interview Questions
    • How wouldnI deal with a situation where an executive would ask me to do something that would deliver a large revenue to the business, but would not be in the best interest of the customer?   Answer Question
    There was no opportunity to negotiate. I was told they always give out the best possible offer and do not negotiate.

Project Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at dunnhumby in May 2012.

I did not do a phone screen as I was an employee referral. I had a 2 hour interview with 3 individuals at the same time. I then met with someone else which they added at the last minute about an hour before the interview. The questions were pretty straight forward but I do not believe I was the right fit for the position.

N/A Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

The process took a dayinterviewed at dunnhumby in February 2011.

Interviewed over a period of 4 hours with 3 different interviewers. Did an excellent job of exposing the culture and type of people that work here. While I did not receive an offer, I was very impressed with what I saw. Would recommend looking here.

Interview Questions
    • One of the interviewers did not ask questions, wanted me to ask him questions. Go prepared with competent and intelligent questions to ask.   Answer Question