eBay Enterprise

Average Difficulty
55 candidate interviews

Very Difficult Interview

King of Prussia, PA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at eBay Enterprise in June 2011.

Interview Details – - I applied on the GSI web site
- they called me within a few days for a phone interview with the manager
- the manager screened me on the phone for about 20 minutes
- then they arranged 3 hour in person interviews
- there were 4 sets of interviews. First was with HR- brief, explained company policies. Next was with 3 technical people at once. Next was with a non-technical project manager, and the last was with the hiring manager.
- they were quite "brutal" in the interviews - they did NOT ask a lot of hard questions, they were just relentless on me and just never seemed satisfied that I would do a good job, despite me being overqualified for the job (I have 20 years experience). I answered every question well, but they were just relentless.

Interview Question – Draw a diagram on the whiteboard of GSI's item-ordering structure (this actually had nothing to do with the skills needed for the job)   View Answer

Reason for Declining – - they left me with a bad impression from being so hard on me in the interviews. It seems like it would be an agonizing place to work.

Senior Software Engineer

The process took 1 week - interviewed at eBay Enterprise in August 2010.

Interview Details – There will be technical phone interview first. After few days they called for a face to face interview. They ask details question based on the resume and you will meet developers, team lead, mangers and director. Seems to take decision quickly.

Interview Question – Asked about algorithm   Answer Question

Call Center Interview

Call Center
Melbourne, FL

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at eBay Enterprise in October 2009.

Interview Details – I applied online for a call center position. I received an email stating that there would be a job fair coming up. The email gave me a personal invitation to come to the job fair. The job fair consisted of a "cattle call" type of interview, where hundreds of people come to check out the "job fair". I checked in with the receptionist, who gave me an informational packet, and asked me to have a seat and wait for my name to be called.

I sat in a room with nothing but tables, few chairs, and a mass group of people, silent, staring at one another waiting to be called into a personal interview room.

The interviewers were coming in and out of the large room, calling off 3-5 names at a time. I always observe how interviewers dress and talk, to give me an indication of the culture of the company.

My opinion - the interviewers were dressed badly, in fact one was in skin tight jeans and high heels. Not the most professional look. Tacky would be the right word. Only one dressed respectfully.

I was invited into an interview of 3 people, and one interviewer, and one note-taker. We were all asked a series of questions:

1. How many times have you been absent in your last job?
2. Name a time when you gave outstanding service.
3. What vertical (department) would suit you best to work in?
4. What would be your pet peeves?
5. Do you have a problem working odd shifts?
6. Tell us about a time you had to overcome a challenge?
7. How do you relieve stress?
8. Why should I hire you over the other people in this room with you (in front of them)?

other questions as well....This interview went well.

I waited a while after this interview at home for a few days and then was asked to come back and take a skills test. The skills test was easy, mostly how to fill in the blanks on a computer, as you had a caller on the phone (all pre-recorded callers with fake scenarios).

When arriving, I again observed the receptionist, to gain a better view of the company. She was semi friendly, however proceeded to talk badly about someone taking the skills test. She stated to me she thought an older lady was "stupid" because this older gal had a little trouble with the computer. Highly unprofessional of the receptionist.

I left and after a few days found out I passed the test. However, I needed to do a phone interview next. This was the messy part. I was scheduled twice for a phone interview, set aside time in my calendar to accommodate the day/time, and the interviewer never answered the dial in number.

I called to reschedule and after a few days finally got my phone interview set up again, and this time was able to have the interview. Then I was scheduled for yet another phone interview. And...was stood up again. Finally after 3 tries, and 2 more phone interviews, I was exhausted and glad the process would soon be over, however having serious doubts about the company. After a week, I was offered a position pending a credit and background check.

To be honest, I didn't have a good impression of the company, and was disappointed at the whole unprofessional process. The job paid very low as well for the amount of work. Also, I was questioned several times about how much training I would need. I got the impression, they want to hire someone for less pay than they deserved and wanted the person to need little training as well. But I gave it my all, and tried to be respectful and patient.

In the end, the offer was taken back because I didn't pass the credit check. Coming from a financial/banking background, I was really surprised. I was an excellent candidate, and have always been a well liked, trustworthy employee, who never had a bankruptcy, etc. on my credit report (I am not just saying that). My opinion - this company seems unsure of itself, unprofessional, and unorganized. They seem to demand a lot for very little money. I am glad I didn't sign on, with GSI.

Interview Question – Describe a situation where you had an angry customer on the phone, and you "turned the call around".   View Answer

Reason for Declining – This company seems unsure of itself, unprofessional, and unorganized. They seem to demand a lot for very little money. I am not sad I didn't sign on, with GSI.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

King of Prussia, PA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at eBay Enterprise in January 2010.

Interview Details – The hiring process was very straight forward. Initial skills test through web, followed by face-to-face manager interview and tech interview. Very good process and promptness in responding with the results.

Interview Question – How do you manage to finish a task when little or no support is available?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Good.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
King of Prussia, PA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at eBay Enterprise in October 2009.

Interview Details – Normal process - meet with 2 groups of people.

Interview Question – Write this SQL statement.   View Answer

Senior Project Manager Interview

Senior Project Manager
King of Prussia, PA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at eBay Enterprise in January 2010.

Interview Details – Most of the details were handled by a third party recruiter. To the level they could control things, I think it went pretty smoothly. The recruiter sent an exhaustive list of pre-interview questions. It took me hours to complete those. This list was clearly designed to be used in a live interview and not a mail based on the follow up questions in each section. Some of them made no sense based on how I answered part one. So by the end I was saying, "if you want the answer to this essay question, you will have to give me an interview." And I guess that worked, because I did get an interview. The first round of the interview was a series of one-on-one meetings with technical people who asked me tough questions. At the end of round one I met with the person who would be my manager. He said he liked my answers and offered me some of the free coffee they have, but I declined as I was exhausted from all the questions. I was selected to move to round two of the interview where I met with a VP and a consultant. I directly asked them to comment on the culture of the company. I got very limited information as you might expect. In any case, I was offered the job the next day and accepted. I asked for two weeks because I did not want to start immediately. They gave me the time I requested. Despite their knowing I would start in more than two weeks, they did not have a desk ready for me when I arrived. I camped out in a conference room while they built my cube. There was no training or preparation to speak of. I was left to figure out everything on my own. Unless you are very curious and tenacious, you will not be off to an easy start here. A colleague likened their onboarding process to waterboarding.

Interview Question – I was asked a question about unicode and multi-lingual character support.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Ask for the moon. Ask for $10K more than you want. You are very likely to get it as turn over is high and they are genearally desperate for employees.

Systems Engineer Interview

Systems Engineer
King of Prussia, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at eBay Enterprise in April 2011.

Interview Details – Was difficult to land this.

Interview Question – Very obscure questions about Java   View Answer

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
King of Prussia, PA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1 week - interviewed at eBay Enterprise in January 2011.

Interview Details – It was a contract position through consulting company. Interviewed by three different individuals at GSI, two directors and one VP on the same date. Detailed discussion on my past experience and how projects were managed. Offer was extended after couple of weeks, which I accepted. Overall experience was nice and very professional.

Interview Question – How you motivated employees.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Manager
King of Prussia, PA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at eBay Enterprise in June 2013.

Interview Details – Recruiter was poised and professional. She knew about the role and genuinely excited. I met 4 people in my first interview that had to be rescheduled due to a client meeting. Each person I met was great--smart personable and busy. Position was filled, but I'll apply again.

Interview Question – I thought the questions were fair, discussions were comfortable   Answer Question

Developer In Test Interview

Developer In Test
San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at eBay Enterprise in March 2013.

Interview Details – I went through 1 general with minimal technical phone screening interview followed by 2 more technical phone interview that involved writing data structure code. Then I had 6 on site deeply technical interview with team leads, managers and a director of QA and development teams. Given I never worked for ebay before, I thought I have provided good answers to questions (problems/issues they they were trying to solve internally at the time of my interview). According to my interviewers, they were impressed with the solutions I have provided them to a couple of problems they were saving. In fact, one of them told me that he would like to use the solution I gave to a problem to a problem they were facing. Overall, I felt it went really well. Few days later, the recruiter informed me that they couldn't make decisions and wanted me to go through a couple of interviews to find me a "better fit" in their organization. Then "a couple" turned to 5 more technical & brain teasers interviews over the phone with leads, managers and a director. Few days later my recruiter informed me that they decided to hire another person.

Interview Question – The most difficult question I was asked is that, a search for a specific item returns results in which each result item has several attributes such as seller score ...etc. How do you know the attributes of each result is real users data. How can you trust the data when you don't have anything to compare or validate against?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at eBay Enterprise

Worked for eBay Enterprise? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at eBay Enterprise interview questions and advice. All 55 interview reviews posted anonymously by eBay Enterprise employees and interview candidates.