eBay Enterprise

Relevance Date Difficulty

Studio Interview

Studio
King of Prussia, PA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at eBay Enterprise in February 2008.

Interview Details – I received a call about every 2-3 weeks for 3 months. It was agonizing and at one point I forgot that I was even involved in the hiring process at GSI. The interviews were light and when asked questions, the managers seemed to not know what the job entailed. I first received a phone call from the HR rep that there was interest in my resume two weeks after applying. Two weeks later I had to call him to see if there was any progress on the position. The following week the HR rep conducted a phone interview which was basically going over the points on my cover letter and resume. Nothing stood out in our conversation, it was very routine. The HR rep said he would relay his remarks on our conversation to the managers and that he would be in touch with me. Two weeks later he called to see if I could come in to interview with one of the managers. When I went in the receptionist was very cold towards me and just told me to sit in the chair and wait. Most of the people that I saw working there were in jeans and t-shirts, very laid back. The manager finally came and greeted me with a "Cosby" style sweater on. Nice. We chit chatted throughout the interview, he didn't really ask me anything deep. The best question was " why do you want to work here" which is the stupidest question to ask a person on an interview. If anyone has ever been unemployed trolling the internet for possible jobs, they will know that you apply to as many jobs as possible. If you have the "neccessary experience" you apply. I made up some lame answer that made it sound like it was a dream I'd had for years. And then asked the manager " why do you want to work here" and he looked puzzled. Probably because he was working there for the same reason I would end up working there. Because it was a job. It paid the bills. After a few awkward silences the interview was over. It took roughly 30 minutes. The next week the HR rep asked if I could meet with another manager. So I went in and repeated the same process only this time without the "Cosby" sweater. Again, nothing beyond the superficial questions you see on any "10 top questions to ask in an interview" list on the internet. It felt like the managers weren't very prepared for the interview and I never received a tour of the building. When I asked both managers what the job entailed they gave very broad answers which made it seem like they didn't really know what job I was interviewing for. All in all, not the most professional interview. After that I waited three more weeks to get the offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – There isn't much negotiating at GSI. I successfully negotiated a $500 increase on my base salary to start and then a review after 6 month with a merit increase at that time. I really should have tried to negotiate a higher base pay because after my 6 month review they froze our pay.

Worked for eBay Enterprise? Contribute to the Community!