eBay Inc. Interview Questions in Campbell, CA

3.6

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Director Level Business Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Campbell, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in July 2014.

Got asked to interview mostly because I was able to connect to the hiring manager via a contact I have at eBay. I suspect that uploading resumes would not have worked.

Initial "screening" call with HR ("talent acquisition") was fairly bland, just talking about why I wanted to work for eBay.

Main interview took place a week later, with a series of 6x 30-60 minute one-on-one interviews lasting all morning and into the mid-afternoon. Many of the interviewers appeared unprepared, with very few probing questions, lots of repetition between them, and quite a few empty gaps where you could see them trying to think of something else to ask.

A more junior interviewer had obviously been asked to run a case study, but it was pretty simple - "what process and tests would you run to check the effectiveness of this change to the user interface".

Some questions came up about my lack of retail experience, but as this role was more related to business operations, I stated that it's more my business operations experience that counts.

A week later, I was offered the role and sent all the relevant forms to fill in, along with a request for references.

Unfortunately this is where things started to go wrong... My 6 reference (must have 5+) were sent a link to a web-based review questionnaire from an external company called "Skillsurvey". This was a full-on 360 review. I had to chase the references to let them know what was going on, as they had many problems with something appearing in their inboxes that looked suspiciously like spam / phishing. No problem with 360 reviews, I've had a ton before, but it would be useful to explain how this fits into the process.

Silence ensued for 2 weeks, with no feedback from eBay until a week prior to my allotted start-date. At this point I had a call from the HR rep to say that my references were not to the "standard required" by the company and my offer has been withdrawn.

I asked for feedback in the form of the anonymized report from Skillsurvey, but they refused to share this. I reached out to my referees who all confirmed that they'd given me high marks, nothing that would indicate that they didn't think I'm a strong fit for the role. However, none of the referees are able to access what they submitted online to check / confirm this.

Obviously something has gone wrong with the Skillsurvey black box? Have eBay received the correct data (they referred to my low scores being "across all five references", even though I'd had 6...) Surely eBay would be keen to understand this and rectify if possible? No. After sending copies of positive comments from the referees, I have had stony silence from eBay with no desire to either provide me with useful constructive feedback, or potentially just explain that although I got an average of 6 out of 7 they are looking for 6.5 out of 7...

In summary, the interview process was quite simplistic and the post-interview experience has been very poor with little interest in providing useful feedback.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult. Many people were interested in knowing my eBay feedback score.   Answer Question

Daily Deals Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Campbell, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at eBay Inc. in March 2012.

I received a call from an inhouse recruiter. Basic questions that amounted to please walk me through your resume, why eBay, what are your best qualities, etc... It went well and then I was referred to the hiring manager. She called me and the call was a lot of fun and it went very well. It was more of a conversation. She invited me to come in for an in house interview. I went in for the interview. I ended up meeting with 5 people in about 2.5 hours. It was a little nerve-racking. Most people who came in were rushed with their own business day. Questions were close to the same. Do you use eBay? Do you use daily deals? What do you think about the daily deals? Any suggestions on how to make it better? Would you buy what is on the daily deals today? The manager of the hiring manager was late. He tried to call me but since I was in an interview I didn't answer. When he came in he asked why I hadn't answered the phone. I told him I was in another interview and considered it rude to answer the phone while someone was talking to me. He agreed and sat down. The first thing he did was open up his phone and ask me to go to daily deals and tell me what I thought about it. I had my ipad there, not sure why we didn't use that. He never seemed that impressed with the answers I gave. The hiring manager was last to give me a review and I got the impression that she had talked with her supervisor. She didn't seem as friendly. We had a nice conversation and that was the end of it. I didn't hear back from them for a week where they told me I wasn't the right fit for their position.

Interview Questions
    • Give me five ways you could make the daily deals site better? Great question for someone who had a couple of days to review the site, etc...   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Campbell, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at eBay Inc. in April 2010.

I got this interview through my school's career fair. They asked me about my class projects so we talked about that for a little bit. They asked me two technical questions. I don't actually remember the first one, but I do remember the second one. There were also some behavioral ones. There was only one phone interview and they sent me an offer the day after. They were super friendly and good people to talk to.

Interview Questions
    • You have a list of numbers from 1-1000, each number only exists once and they are in random order. You randomly take one out. How do you know which is the missing number?   View Answers (5)

Senior Design Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Campbell, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in April 2009.

Most of the interview process is managed by a recruiter, who will setup and manage the phone interviews as well as the in-person interviews. The recruiter as well as the employees were both very kind, professional people, who were a pleasure to deal with. The entire process is extremely well organized. For the in-person interview everything was setup. The campus is very nice, you are picked up, and the keep a clear schedule.

Editorial Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Campbell, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in November 2007.

The process went from a substantial writing/editing test to a phone interview to meeting four people. The in-person meeting was dismal. The interviewers did not come across as prepared. They did not have many questions for me, said little about the position, came across as disinterested. Maybe they took one look at me and didn't like me (I am clean-cut, was dressed professionally, clothes freshly pressed, appearance neat and tidy, no after-shave, etc.), but it would rate as one of my worst interviewing experiences, if not the worst.

Interview Questions

Worked for eBay Inc.? Contribute to the Community!