eBay Inc. Interview Questions

3.1

General Ledger Accountant - Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in August 2014.

I recently interviewed at eBay Inc and I felt it was a good experience. The hiring process at eBay is seriously slow so be mindful of that. I applied online and about a month later a HR person contacted me via email. I then had a brief phone interview later on that week and it went well. Mostly the conversation was about the position and if it was something that I would be interested in. A week later I was given a date to come in for a interview at the eBay office.

Parking was quite difficult to find as it was really full and also many people didn't seem to know how to park their cars so they took up two spots instead of one.

The Interview itself was okay. I had interviews with 4 different persons and I think that for the HR manager the time should be more than 30 mins. I felt it was too rushed and quite difficult to show case yourself in such a short amount of time. I could tell they wanted to talk to me some more but had to leave because the next person was waiting at the door.

The questions they asked was more about my background, achievements, what my expectations where in the future etc. Nothing complicated or very difficult to answer especially if you have worked on getting prepared for the interview.

After a week I got the generic email that they decided to go with another candidate. I think it came down to what the HR manager wanted in a persons personality.

I was disappointed but well I am glad to have gotten the opportunity to interview with them.

Interview Questions
    • I hope HR improves with the interview process by allowing more time with the HR Manager. Lots of questions where asked on how a cash rec was done or Fixed assets etc.   Answer Question

UI Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in July 2014.

HR process after interview takes long (3 weeks in my case), onsite interview is well planned out though. The post interview process might take a few weeks too so be patient.

Interview Questions
    • javascript self invoking functions and data structures, UI related questions are what can be expected, with a slight twist.   Answer Question
    negotiation was not an issue.

Director Level Business Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Campbell, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Campbell, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in July 2014.

Got asked to interview mostly because I was able to connect to the hiring manager via a contact I have at eBay. I suspect that uploading resumes would not have worked.

Initial "screening" call with HR ("talent acquisition") was fairly bland, just talking about why I wanted to work for eBay.

Main interview took place a week later, with a series of 6x 30-60 minute one-on-one interviews lasting all morning and into the mid-afternoon. Many of the interviewers appeared unprepared, with very few probing questions, lots of repetition between them, and quite a few empty gaps where you could see them trying to think of something else to ask.

A more junior interviewer had obviously been asked to run a case study, but it was pretty simple - "what process and tests would you run to check the effectiveness of this change to the user interface".

Some questions came up about my lack of retail experience, but as this role was more related to business operations, I stated that it's more my business operations experience that counts.

A week later, I was offered the role and sent all the relevant forms to fill in, along with a request for references.

Unfortunately this is where things started to go wrong... My 6 reference (must have 5+) were sent a link to a web-based review questionnaire from an external company called "Skillsurvey". This was a full-on 360 review. I had to chase the references to let them know what was going on, as they had many problems with something appearing in their inboxes that looked suspiciously like spam / phishing. No problem with 360 reviews, I've had a ton before, but it would be useful to explain how this fits into the process.

Silence ensued for 2 weeks, with no feedback from eBay until a week prior to my allotted start-date. At this point I had a call from the HR rep to say that my references were not to the "standard required" by the company and my offer has been withdrawn.

I asked for feedback in the form of the anonymized report from Skillsurvey, but they refused to share this. I reached out to my referees who all confirmed that they'd given me high marks, nothing that would indicate that they didn't think I'm a strong fit for the role. However, none of the referees are able to access what they submitted online to check / confirm this.

Obviously something has gone wrong with the Skillsurvey black box? Have eBay received the correct data (they referred to my low scores being "across all five references", even though I'd had 6...) Surely eBay would be keen to understand this and rectify if possible? No. After sending copies of positive comments from the referees, I have had stony silence from eBay with no desire to either provide me with useful constructive feedback, or potentially just explain that although I got an average of 6 out of 7 they are looking for 6.5 out of 7...

In summary, the interview process was quite simplistic and the post-interview experience has been very poor with little interest in providing useful feedback.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult. Many people were interested in knowing my eBay feedback score.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at eBay Inc. in April 2014.

The interview and hiring process was very well done and very fast. After a few 1-2 hour phone calls they gave me the offer. They have over 400 interns throughout all of eBay (Marketplaces, PayPal, Magento, Braintree and Venmo, Enterprise, Stubhub, etc.) and so you enter with a class of about 50-100 students. Everybody is very smart and from a very good university or college. They are mostly looking for PHD's and Master's students. Also, so many students apply that you will probably need at least some sort of connection.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the interview was spent on my previous work and what I had created. They asked specifically about projects that I had worked on with a team.   Answer Question
    The salary is not negotiable. However, you will find that to be just fine because the pay is about as high as it gets. Also they give you incredible housing (instead of just a stipend where you have to go and find your housing and somehow furnish an apartment) as well as fund your travel expenses.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at eBay Inc. in March 2014.

Had 2 interview rounds, was asked questions/programs in Java (Collections, Multithreading, OO concepts) , Data-Structures (Stack and Queue), Design Patterns (Singleton), SQL, C++. More questions about my previous work experience, school projects.
    Both were telephonic rounds.

Interview Questions
    • If I mark an arraylist as final, can i add more elements to it?   View Answer

Software Engineer II Interview

4 people interview, extremely difficult. I went in and the first guy asked me behavioural questions designed to dig into my work ethic and whether id be a good fit

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at eBay Inc..

After I applied online, I was contacted by a HR. Then she helped to arranged two phone interviews. In the phone interview, I was asked to write code online. The first phone interview is easy but the second is difficult.

Android Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in August 2014.

Contacted by recruiter, then a phone interview with two senior Android Engineers. Questions ranged from very basics of Android to advanced concepts like caching, thread pooling and Asyn Tasks (with some tricky questions). Received a call after 2 days to come for their final onsite interview. 5 F2F interviews. Each round was for 45 minutes.

Round 1 - Two Senior Android Devs [Android and Data Structures]
    Round 2 - Two Senior QA team members [Andorid QA Test Cases]
    Round 3 - Android Development Manager and Lead Andorid Developer (Lunch) [Past experience and some technical Android dev questions]
    Round 4 - Three Android Developers from the Android team [Data Structures and Algorithms]
    Round 5 - Software Developer and Product Manager [java concepts and HR]

Thee whole interviewing team was great and the process went very smoothly. The interviewers were really helpful while helping me solve the problems they asked. Great team and the credits must go to my recruiter and the Andorid development manager who managed the whole process from start to finish. I was just done with this interview very recently. The reason I am not expecting an offer is because I terribly screwed my 4th round and was stuck at a single question the whole round. I was not satisfied with myself, rest all rounds went fine. I am not expecting an offer though, if I get one, I would be the happiest person alive :) as Android is my passion. But yes, sadly I am not expecting anything. Will try again !!!!

Interview Questions
    • Simple Data Structure Questions with interesting twists in them, I wish I had brushed up my DS before I went.   View Answer

Cloud Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at eBay Inc..

Had three interviews. Two technical and one final with my hiring manager. The technical rounds involved in understanding my fundamentals in data structure and algorithms. Straightforward implementation questions. As soon as I solved a problem, they took another one. They understood my problem solving process. More effectively, it's not about whether I arrived at a solution or not but about how I can solve it together with the interviewer.

No negotiation.

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in April 2014.

I was referred by an employee and contacted by their recruiter. My recruiter was one of the nicest people I have had the opportunity to work with. The entire process was so smooth and handled exceptionally well.

I was first contacted via email to setup an phone interview to discuss my likes and interests so the recruiter could decide which teams to forward my resume to. After this, I had 2 phone screens. There was an NDA about the questions but they are very straight forward and there were no ultra-difficult questions. All questions were simple discussions of algorithms and data structures. Make sure you know your basics extremely well. I mean extremely ! other than that, you're fine.

After these 2 interviews, I was asked to schedule a 5 hour back to back skype interview session. All the interviewers were extremely nice and the interviewing was great fun. Then ensured you were comfortable and allowed you to be creative and efficient. I was asked several questions about algorithms, data-structures and design. Make sure you know the basics of OOP design and you're comfortable deconstructing a problem to design a good solution.

After 4 interviews, my brain refused to work in the last one and I was unable to answer a very simple data structure question. Even my interviewer recognized I was probably tired after all the interviews and very patiently tried to help me out. In the end I was able to barely come up with the solution. After this, I was asked to take up one more skype interview and this one went very well.

I was contacted after about a week by the recruiter and they made an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. Questions are very straight forward   Answer Question
    The team was very happy and I was able to negotiate both my salary as well as my joining bonus. They are flexible and its always worth trying to get a raise.

Worked for eBay Inc.? Contribute to the Community!