eBay Inc. Interview Questions

Updated Sep 29, 2014

3.1

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at eBay Inc. in May 2010.

Most difficult and unrewarding interview that I have ever had. I spent an entire day at the office (7 interviews that lasted 45 minutes each).

eBay is a company of VERY smart people who don't particularly like their jobs. No one was enthusiastic about their roles and it seemed as if everyone was unsure of the direction of the company.

I thought I nailed the interviews - good background for the position, top school, etc... The bottom line, I don't think I was a fit with the team. Despite the fact that the role was client facing, everyone seemed pretty geeky. Anyways, it worked out because two weeks later I got a offer from Google.

I would stay away.

Interview Questions
    • Walk me through an SQL query, several case problems, presentation   Answer Question

Manager Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days - interviewed at eBay Inc. in March 2012.

- Telephonic interview
    - 1:1
    - Rude interviewer
    - Did not even introduce himself properly
    - Overall felt that he was a nuisance and did not really like working at ebay
    - Type of questions asked during the interview sort of suggested that the interview was totally unstructured

Interview Questions
    • - Asked very random questions e.g., how do you estimate the safe distance from shore given that there could be a tsunami? No data, no historical references, but provide an answer using math   Answer Question
    • General questions around Estimates and Modeling. But interviewer was not that confident.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in February 2011.

A recruiter from eBay contacted me to set up the interview. She took awhile to get back to me and I had to contact her a few times to ask. She finally set up a phone interview that took 30 minutes. It's quite technical in nature. I wonder who memorizes this stuff off the top of their head. I haven't done anything to do with a bit operator since college and do not remember it.

Interview Questions
    • Describe pass by reference. You have a program with a method changeMe() that takes a string. In the main method, a string is set to "Hello" and it is passed to changeMe(). The changeMe() method sets the string to "I'm changed". In the main method, after call to changeMe(), there is a print statement for the string. What is printed?   View Answers (2)
    • If you have an array of characters, write a method to reverse the string.   View Answers (2)
    • What way can you tell if an integer is odd or even?   View Answers (2)
    • What is the difference between HTTP POST and GET? Which can be bookmarked?   View Answer

QE Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in January 2011.

OK

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between HTTP & HTTPS? How to achieve or use HTTPS?   Answer Question
    • What are the two type of exceptions   View Answer

Project Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in December 2010.

Was interviewed by 5 folks and then the HR interviewed

Interview Questions
    Negotiation was tough, they did not accept most demands

Editorial Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Campbell, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Campbell, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in November 2007.

The process went from a substantial writing/editing test to a phone interview to meeting four people. The in-person meeting was dismal. The interviewers did not come across as prepared. They did not have many questions for me, said little about the position, came across as disinterested. Maybe they took one look at me and didn't like me (I am clean-cut, was dressed professionally, clothes freshly pressed, appearance neat and tidy, no after-shave, etc.), but it would rate as one of my worst interviewing experiences, if not the worst.

Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc..

two phone interviews, in person interview for 5 hours with multiple people.
    I would say, the in person interview was not scheduled properly, one of the interviewers didn show up at all and kept me waiting for one whole hour untill the person appeared and mentioned the they were not aware of the interview being scheduled.Also this is a quality position , though i was prepared for the basic programming questions few kept asking questions on data structures and algorithms....Honestly if that is the expectation , then i would expect the position to be for a developer.

Analytics - MBA Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at eBay Inc. in May 2012.

Had 3 rounds of interview. First round was a general resume walk through followed by a "on the fly" mini case . Later was given a take home case analysis. Once I had submitted the case analysis, I interviewed with some one else who gave a puzzle/brain teaser and asked me write SQL for calculating the click through rate.

Interview Questions
    • Mini Case: eBay is getting complaints from customers that the site doesn't have enough product selection. To increase product selection eBay runs a promotion and decides to waiver the listing fees for all sellers. eBay's earns revenue from the listing fees and as a % of sales transaction and the bulk of revenue comes as a commission over sales transactions. The promotion instead of increasing the revenue results in a drop in revenue for eBay. Explain   View Answers (3)

Customer Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at eBay Inc. in December 2009.

Initial contact is HR, then hiring manager, cross-functional team members, 2nd round is to meet the VP and COO

Daily Deals Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Campbell, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Campbell, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at eBay Inc. in March 2012.

I received a call from an inhouse recruiter. Basic questions that amounted to please walk me through your resume, why eBay, what are your best qualities, etc... It went well and then I was referred to the hiring manager. She called me and the call was a lot of fun and it went very well. It was more of a conversation. She invited me to come in for an in house interview. I went in for the interview. I ended up meeting with 5 people in about 2.5 hours. It was a little nerve-racking. Most people who came in were rushed with their own business day. Questions were close to the same. Do you use eBay? Do you use daily deals? What do you think about the daily deals? Any suggestions on how to make it better? Would you buy what is on the daily deals today? The manager of the hiring manager was late. He tried to call me but since I was in an interview I didn't answer. When he came in he asked why I hadn't answered the phone. I told him I was in another interview and considered it rude to answer the phone while someone was talking to me. He agreed and sat down. The first thing he did was open up his phone and ask me to go to daily deals and tell me what I thought about it. I had my ipad there, not sure why we didn't use that. He never seemed that impressed with the answers I gave. The hiring manager was last to give me a review and I got the impression that she had talked with her supervisor. She didn't seem as friendly. We had a nice conversation and that was the end of it. I didn't hear back from them for a week where they told me I wasn't the right fit for their position.

Interview Questions
    • Give me five ways you could make the daily deals site better? Great question for someone who had a couple of days to review the site, etc...   View Answer

Worked for eBay Inc.? Contribute to the Community!