eBay Inc.

326 candidate interviews

Editorial Interview

Editorial
Campbell, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in November 2007.

Interview Details – The process went from a substantial writing/editing test to a phone interview to meeting four people. The in-person meeting was dismal. The interviewers did not come across as prepared. They did not have many questions for me, said little about the position, came across as disinterested. Maybe they took one look at me and didn't like me (I am clean-cut, was dressed professionally, clothes freshly pressed, appearance neat and tidy, no after-shave, etc.), but it would rate as one of my worst interviewing experiences, if not the worst.

Interview Question – It was the lack of questions that made it difficult   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager
San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at eBay Inc. in May 2010.

Interview Details – Most difficult and unrewarding interview that I have ever had. I spent an entire day at the office (7 interviews that lasted 45 minutes each).

eBay is a company of VERY smart people who don't particularly like their jobs. No one was enthusiastic about their roles and it seemed as if everyone was unsure of the direction of the company.

I thought I nailed the interviews - good background for the position, top school, etc... The bottom line, I don't think I was a fit with the team. Despite the fact that the role was client facing, everyone seemed pretty geeky. Anyways, it worked out because two weeks later I got a offer from Google.

I would stay away.

Interview Question – Walk me through an SQL query, several case problems, presentation   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in February 2011.

Interview Details – A recruiter from eBay contacted me to set up the interview. She took awhile to get back to me and I had to contact her a few times to ask. She finally set up a phone interview that took 30 minutes. It's quite technical in nature. I wonder who memorizes this stuff off the top of their head. I haven't done anything to do with a bit operator since college and do not remember it.

Interview Questions

• Describe pass by reference. You have a program with a method changeMe() that takes a string. In the main method, a string is set to "Hello" and it is passed to changeMe(). The changeMe() method sets the string to "I'm changed". In the main method, after call to changeMe(), there is a print statement for the string. What is printed?   View Answers (2)
  • If you have an array of characters, write a method to reverse the string.   View Answers (2)
  • What way can you tell if an integer is odd or even?   View Answers (2)
  • What is the difference between HTTP POST and GET? Which can be bookmarked?   View Answer

QE Engineer Interview

QE Engineer
San Jose, CA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in January 2011.

Interview Details – OK

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between HTTP & HTTPS? How to achieve or use HTTPS?   Answer Question
  • What are the two type of exceptions   View Answer

Manager Analytics Interview

Manager Analytics
Bangalore (India)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at eBay Inc. in March 2012.

Interview Details – - Telephonic interview
- 1:1
- Rude interviewer
- Did not even introduce himself properly
- Overall felt that he was a nuisance and did not really like working at ebay
- Type of questions asked during the interview sort of suggested that the interview was totally unstructured

Interview Questions

• - Asked very random questions e.g., how do you estimate the safe distance from shore given that there could be a tsunami? No data, no historical references, but provide an answer using math   Answer Question
  • General questions around Estimates and Modeling. But interviewer was not that confident.   Answer Question

Analytics - MBA Intern Interview

Analytics - MBA Intern
San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at eBay Inc. in May 2012.

Interview Details – Had 3 rounds of interview. First round was a general resume walk through followed by a "on the fly" mini case . Later was given a take home case analysis. Once I had submitted the case analysis, I interviewed with some one else who gave a puzzle/brain teaser and asked me write SQL for calculating the click through rate.

Interview Question – Mini Case: eBay is getting complaints from customers that the site doesn't have enough product selection. To increase product selection eBay runs a promotion and decides to waiver the listing fees for all sellers. eBay's earns revenue from the listing fees and as a % of sales transaction and the bulk of revenue comes as a commission over sales transactions. The promotion instead of increasing the revenue results in a drop in revenue for eBay. Explain   View Answers (3)

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager

I applied through other source and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in December 2010.

Interview Details – Was interviewed by 5 folks and then the HR interviewed

Interview Question – Career goals for the nest 5 years   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was tough, they did not accept most demands

Quality Engineer Interview

Quality Engineer
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc..

Interview Details – two phone interviews, in person interview for 5 hours with multiple people.
I would say, the in person interview was not scheduled properly, one of the interviewers didn show up at all and kept me waiting for one whole hour untill the person appeared and mentioned the they were not aware of the interview being scheduled.Also this is a quality position , though i was prepared for the basic programming questions few kept asking questions on data structures and algorithms....Honestly if that is the expectation , then i would expect the position to be for a developer.

Interview Question – Loads of questions on data structures and algorithms   Answer Question

Customer Analytics Interview

Customer Analytics
San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at eBay Inc. in December 2009.

Interview Details – Initial contact is HR, then hiring manager, cross-functional team members, 2nd round is to meet the VP and COO

Interview Question – Do you have a PayPal account   Answer Question

Data Mining Analyst Interview

Data Mining Analyst
Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at eBay Inc. in September 2012.

Interview Details – I applied through the posting on linkedin.

1. Initial phone screen from HR.
2. Phone interview from a team member who asked 3 statistics questions.
3. On-site interview with four 1:1. 2 managers and 2 team members. Team members asked a mixture of statistics, SQL, and algorithm questions. Managers asked more behavioral. Interview was more laid back than other companies I've interviewed with. Half the session was spent discussing the solution after writing it on the whiteboard.
4. Final phone interview with senior US manager. Algorithm question on page sequencing.

One thing to note, HR called me one day in advance for the on site interview after 3 weeks have already passed since the phone interview, and then followed up 2 hours later changing it to same day. I didn't mind, but was pretty sure I wouldn't get the offer after the 3 weeks passed. Regardless, ebay's hiring team and interviewers were very courteous and warm. Overall experience was highly enjoyable!

Interview Question – For most statistics majors with masters or pHD, the questions should be very straight forward.

Intermediate SQL questions weren't too difficult either.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Initial offer was a bit low so I countered with a 25% increase and it was accepted.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at eBay Inc.

Worked for eBay Inc.? Contribute to the Community!

eBay Inc. Videos

eBay Inc. – Why Work for Us?

​​ ​​From humble beginnings to a global company that’s changing the future of commerce, eBay Inc. has always been a place where innovation and collaboration are celebrated. Today, eBay Inc. fosters an entrepreneurial… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at eBay Inc. interview questions and advice. All 326 interview reviews posted anonymously by eBay Inc. employees and interview candidates.