eBay Inc.

Updated Jan 25, 2015
Updated Jan 25, 2015

3.1

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc. in October 2014.

Got the request after a career fair at my university

First there were a few questions about my resume and qualifications and projects that I did. This part was pretty straight forward.

After that they asked me a programming question. The task was to write a function that, given a particular filename ending, returns a list of all files with this extension with a language of choice.

Interview Questions
    • There was no really unexpected question, but I didn't know the exact syntax how to open files in any language and thought they would ask more general data structure/programming questions.   Answer Question

Front End Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at eBay Inc. in January 2015.

After sending the CV I've got a "motivational" telephone interview of about half an hour. The day after I was asked to take a full day off to go to their office to have face2face interview without any hurry (but they just want to waste my time as I discovered later).
    I took 2 separate technical interview with 3 different people from different team for about a little more of 2 hours in total, I did answer to all their answer that were not very difficult.

After a couple of days they said me I was a good candidate but they rejected me because
    A) I was a full stack developer and they were searching for a Front End position. Of course they ignored my CV as long what I did said during the first telephone interview regarding exactly this issue.
    B) Due to my background I said that visual studio is a great IDE, but the interviewer was a complete open source taliban. Again, they should read better the CV and not advertising in their job position their fake appreciation of previous .Net experience.
    C) I was answering their questions giving a lot of details and example

The only fair point here is the first one, and they could avoid to waste 1 day of my life for 2 hours of in place interview when they had already decided to not to hire me.

Interview Questions
    • Very predictable and plain questions about javascript, html and OO programming.   Answer Question

Senior Specialist Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at eBay Inc. in February 2011.

Preference to promote people internally however not always true depending on Management which may affect the perspective to grow for some. 2 to 3 interviews are generally performed for Sr roles, candidate must understand the culture and basic tools, processes. Average 40 min interview where questions asked are fair and related to the role.

Interview Questions
    • If you were to be a football player in a team, which position would you have?   View Answer

Billing Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at eBay Inc. in October 2014.

I applied online and got an email from the recruiter a few days later, requesting to do a phone screen interview with her. About 2 weeks later, I contacted the recruiter again and was selected for 2 phone interviews; one with a local manager and another with a manager in Asia. Several days later, I was asked to come in to the local office for an in-person interview with a manager and team member. I received feedback that the interviews had all gone well and they requested that I do a Skype interview with a manager in Europe. After that, the communication ceased. I received no more feedback and my inquiries were not responded to. On Christmas Eve I was sent a denial email, in French (which I don't speak). Overall the experience was positive, but it ended on a bad note - which tainted the entire process. I think they chose a poor day to send bad news and I didn't appreciate that it was in a language that I do not know. It showed a lack of attention to detail and empathy.

Team Lead Interview

I applied online – interviewed at eBay Inc..

Interview was for a job in Ireland, I was prepared and I knew my stuff. Interviewer seemed rushed and made a quick decision about me. It took some scheduling due to time zone, recruiter was right on time, which is great, some other recruiters of similar companies seem late so gotten used to start interviews later. She had a heavy Irish accent so I was having a hard time understanding her, seemed like a nice person but overly rushed. Nothing out of the ordinary, but when it came to my questions, she led me to believe that the questions will be answered in next stage which never happened.

Interview Questions
    • why do I want to work there? I hate that question, I always want to say I want to work there because you have a job that fits my skills, and I am unemployed, but always give them what they want to hear, great company, successful returns, and .... I wish I could ask them in return, why do you want me to work for you?   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc. in August 2011.

Very basic interview process. I talked to the recruiter on the phone and then the hiring manager. Went in to meet with the Sr. Director and VP. They really focused on my work experience and how I got things done in a large organization.

Interview Questions
    I said I was disappointed with their initial offer which was exactly what I already made. They bumped up the base salary a bit and the sign on too.

Head of Employee Communications EMEA Interview

I applied online – interviewed at eBay Inc..

As an experienced professional, I was surprised by the recruiting process and initial interview at Ebay. The interview was from the position that I was LUCKY to be interviewed--when in fact the market favors employees in Europe in this field at the moment.

The recruiter treated me with suspicion, as if she were trying to catch me in a lie. When I explained to her projects that I had worked on, she had told me I was speaking at "too high a level" and "what did I actually do"? She wanted me to get to the level of "I made a PowerPoint, I wrote a Q and A". Turns out despite the senior title, they want someone very operational. They told another candidate that the strategy and action plan had been validated through 2015 and the job holder would just deliver off the detailed plan! Then why are you interviewing senior people who have years of strategic AND operational experience?

I am puzzled as to why they are recruiting at all. In the end, they ended up cancelling the search because they had someone temporary in the job already.

I've been through a lot of interviews in my career--both good and bad--Ebay takes the prize as the worst one. It not only turned me off to the company as an employer but also the brand.

Interview Questions
    • Can you tell me the months that you started and ended each job on your resume (I had only listed years).   View Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online – interviewed at eBay Inc. in October 2014.

I passed the phone interview but not the in person interview that included a computer assessment. The assessment included a simulation and a typing test. Candidates must be able to evaluate situations and rate other customer service representatives' performances.

Associate Manager Vertical Analytics Interview

The hiring process had multiple rounds. There were telephonic as well as F2F interviews. The process was smooth and the interviewers were all polite and helpful.Each round was an elimination round. There were SQL questions, interpretation of graphs/charts and standard guesstimate questions. There were past work ex related PI rounds also.

Interview Questions
    • Some SQL ranking (analytical functions) questions were there   Answer Question

Analytics Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at eBay Inc. in December 2014.

I had 3 telephone interviews and 4 face to face interviews over a 7 month period. The final interview consisted of 4 back to back interviews each lasting one hour with a different person. I was surprised to find that I did not see any English people in the Richmond London office. I can only assume that eBay does not employ English people.

Interview Questions
    • What has happened to eBay in the news recently?   View Answer