eBay Inc. Interview Questions

Updated Sep 17, 2014

3.1

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in April 2014.

I was referred by an employee and contacted by their recruiter. My recruiter was one of the nicest people I have had the opportunity to work with. The entire process was so smooth and handled exceptionally well.

I was first contacted via email to setup an phone interview to discuss my likes and interests so the recruiter could decide which teams to forward my resume to. After this, I had 2 phone screens. There was an NDA about the questions but they are very straight forward and there were no ultra-difficult questions. All questions were simple discussions of algorithms and data structures. Make sure you know your basics extremely well. I mean extremely ! other than that, you're fine.

After these 2 interviews, I was asked to schedule a 5 hour back to back skype interview session. All the interviewers were extremely nice and the interviewing was great fun. Then ensured you were comfortable and allowed you to be creative and efficient. I was asked several questions about algorithms, data-structures and design. Make sure you know the basics of OOP design and you're comfortable deconstructing a problem to design a good solution.

After 4 interviews, my brain refused to work in the last one and I was unable to answer a very simple data structure question. Even my interviewer recognized I was probably tired after all the interviews and very patiently tried to help me out. In the end I was able to barely come up with the solution. After this, I was asked to take up one more skype interview and this one went very well.

I was contacted after about a week by the recruiter and they made an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. Questions are very straight forward   Answer Question
    The team was very happy and I was able to negotiate both my salary as well as my joining bonus. They are flexible and its always worth trying to get a raise.

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at eBay Inc..

The interview process was easy and comfortable. Went through a temp agency and they screened every hire. It wasn't a hard interview. Asked questions pertaining to customers. Also asked questions on different scenarios.

easy

Information Security Engineer III Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at eBay Inc..

Applied after contracting for a year, the interviews were casual and candid regarding the nature of the position. The team dress was informal - no suits and conducted in the workspace (not in an HR center). I met with the hiring manager after a phone screening via the recruiter, and then a team interview with the team.

Interview Questions
    • In spite of the fact that it was a governance job, one of the team interviewees asked an excessively technical question to assess my depth of hands on experience - of which this position needs none, and my resume does not profess to have. It felt designed to take me off guard - but interestingly enough that person is no longer on staff and I am.   Answer Question
    It was a single back and forth discussion - and offer was made, I countered with a financial figure that I needed in order to make the transition and the manager worked it out. It helps to know what the market rate is.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in March 2014.

Recruiter phone screening followed by 3 rounds of phone interviews. It was a satisfying experience end to end. I have added some of the questions below. I was really impressed with ebay and ebay was really impressed with me. It is a great company to work for and hence I took up the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Design decision on a problem that eBay was trying to solve   Answer Question
    • Write a program to print a matrix forward diagonally?
      Ex:

2 4
      3 5 7
      6 8
        View Answers (2)
    No negotiation for interns. Pretty good initial offer.

Lawyer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc..

Not very technical...focuses more on behaviours and is pretty straightforward. Its more about fit than anything else. You will likely meet 4-7 people and it will take many weeks.

Member of Technical Staff I Software Engineer Quality Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in May 2014.

I was communicated on the interview schedule 1 week in advance, there was 1 hour technical phone interview. The result was shared next day and 2nd round of Full day F2F interview was scheduled after 2 weeks. Interview lasted for 7 hours each interviewer getting a time slot of 45 min each. Interview was more on QA related questions and few puzzles were also asked. They said the results would be shared in a couple of weeks and after 2 weeks, I got a call that I have cleared the 2nd round and final interview with the Sr. Manager and Technical Director was scheduled after 2 weeks. It was a 2 hour interview.

Interview Questions
    • It was more of process oriented and Practical in nature.   Answer Question

Manager NA FP&A Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc..

Applied online. I was contacted by a recruiter via email 4 weeks later and I replied the same day with 5 business days/times for an initial phone screening. Several days passed and I did not hear anything back. I sent a follow up email on the 5th day to the recruiter asking if any of the days I provided would work. One thing to note here is that 2 of the 5 dates I provided had already passed by that time. I immediately received a response from the recruiter asking for an interview the following day (which was outside of the days I initially provided). Unfortunately, I had to decline due to scheduling conflicts, however we did agree to a time two days later.

The day of the scheduled interview finally came around and I was very eager and excited to talk to the recruiter. If things were only that easy. Exactly 11 mins. before the interview, I received an email from the recruiter (luckily I checked my emails right before the expected call) telling me that the phone screening needed to be rescheduled two days later, without any further explanation. (11 days after the first email) Being employed full time with a very busy work schedule, it is always very challenging to accommodate last minute changes on the calendar. Since this was the first time the recruiter rescheduled, I did not want to make it a big deal and ended up postponing an internal meeting in order to be able to speak to the recruiter at the newly suggested time.

Now, the day of the rescheduled interview finally arrived, but I still had some doubts if the conversation with the recruiter would ever take place. In the hope I would not get an email from the recruiter, I checked my emails one hour before the scheduled call. And there it was. A note from the recruiter mentioning that she was behind with her work load and also at the same time she was preparing for her vacation (she was expecting to take the next 3 business days off). Ultimately, she rescheduled the interview again (the second time!) to the following week when she would be back from vacation. (17 days after her first email) (On a site note, I don’t quite understand why a candidate should suffer when the recruiter is not able to handle their workload.) In addition, the recruiter mentioned in the email that the timing for the role was still good and it seemed that moving the phone screening to following week would not cause any issues or delays in the interview process. Being already very discouraged, I did not have a choice but to agree to the proposed time.

After having the conversation rescheduled twice, my motivation and excitement for the company and position was starting to suffer tremendously. When the third attempted interview date arrived, once again, exactly 10 mins. before the proposed interview time, I again received an email from the recruiter, but this time, explaining that an internal employee was interested in the position I applied to and she was no longer interviewing people for this role.

I would understand if I would have been eliminated from the interview process due to lack of skills or experience. However, going through 3 attempted phone screenings, all cancelled at the last minute, all while being assured that there was no interference with timing, was highly unprofessional. In addition, I always had the feeling that I and my work schedule were not taken seriously.

This experience has certainly given me a completely new perspective on ebay and the professionalism the company has with interviewing candidates. I am very concerned that the lack of seriousness that is presented during the recruitment process is a reflecting of the way ebay conducts business and treats employees.

Interview Questions
    • Never got to a point where I talked to the recruiter. Highly disappointing experience!!   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in April 2013.

About 3-4 interviews mostly related to previous work and some questions about job situations and how to handle. Very nice interviewers who wanted to know you as person and helped me understand the role and the work environment much better than other companies.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in July 2013.

interview was very similar process to Microsoft or Amazon -- large tech company. Typical routing through HR, set up of a 1 day or 2 day loop with multiple people and a final reviewer (as-app).

Negotiated with someone in HR. They knew what they were doing, and were willing to negotiate. I got some additional sign-on bonus, but was not able to get more vacation.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at eBay Inc. in April 2014.

I applied for 70 to 80 positions for intern positions. Eventually I got call for Java Backend intern position. The interview went well, but I stuck with the question in REST ful web service.