eBay Inc. Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at eBay Inc..

Interview

First round on campus interview, one technical question. The interviewer asked me to design two functions that implement auto prediction feature when user input a few letters in search box.

Interview Questions

• Really focus on what data structure you use and the time/space complexity.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at eBay Inc. in February 2015.

Interview

First got HR call then after around one week my interview got scheduled. The Interview was for about 1 hour. He asked me projects which were listed on resume. Then he asked me some technical questions regarding OOPS concepts etc. He also asked behavioral questions regarding my work experience etc. He was very friendly. Asked me about MVC architecture breifly.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about MVC architecture?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at eBay Inc. in January 2015.

Interview

Applied online and contacted by a recruiter. Just passed the first round phone interview with team manager, and received second interview invitation one week later. The second round is scheduled next week.

Interview Questions

• A few questions about resume, coding question: find the lowest common ancestor of two nodes in a binary tree   1 Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at eBay Inc. (Austin, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

Austin, TX recruiter is amazing! Called after 3 days for a phone interview-The recruiting team will communicate the STAR Behavior Interview- Need to give very specific examples. Phone interview was 30 minutes. Everyone was very friendly and informative. Onsite listened to calls of the position was applying for and also onsite simulation testing including typing test. Successful and met with team leader.

Interview Questions

• A time when you did not meet goals... A time when you had poor customer service experience... A time when you had to learn a new skill on the fly... Be very specific... Do homework on company values   1 Answer

Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at eBay Inc. (San Jose, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

had two 45 min interview both where more or less the same.
    the questions in the second intr was from my resume and 2 programming questions - Given a string print the oldest repeating character and newest none repeating character - Given a string of open and close brackets return whether the number of open and close brackets match or not.

Interview Questions

• the first interview was about basic question on OOP concepts like ( polymorphism , inheritance and encapsulation) and one programming ques - anagrams.

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at eBay Inc. (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Got an email with a coding doc that I had to match the output with within a certain amount of time. Completed 2/3 of them but didn't finish the last question which was adding 2 fractions. No phone interview about how I am, just a coding challenge I guess to filter the applicants further after seeing their resume.

Interview Questions

• To remove every multiple i, j, k ..... elements from a list.
      To add 2 fractions and reduce it to the simplest form
      Another question I couldnt remember but it was easy

1 Answer

Application

I applied online – interviewed at eBay Inc..

Interview

As an experienced professional, I was surprised by the recruiting process and initial interview at Ebay. The interview was from the position that I was LUCKY to be interviewed--when in fact the market favors employees in Europe in this field at the moment.

The recruiter treated me with suspicion, as if she were trying to catch me in a lie. When I explained to her projects that I had worked on, she had told me I was speaking at "too high a level" and "what did I actually do"? She wanted me to get to the level of "I made a PowerPoint, I wrote a Q and A". Turns out despite the senior title, they want someone very operational. They told another candidate that the strategy and action plan had been validated through 2015 and the job holder would just deliver off the detailed plan! Then why are you interviewing senior people who have years of strategic AND operational experience?

I am puzzled as to why they are recruiting at all. In the end, they ended up cancelling the search because they had someone temporary in the job already.

I've been through a lot of interviews in my career--both good and bad--Ebay takes the prize as the worst one. It not only turned me off to the company as an employer but also the brand.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me the months that you started and ended each job on your resume (I had only listed years).   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc. in January 2015.

Interview

Connected with recruiter. Was supposed to have a 30 minute phone interview, but ended up in a 45 minute interview with a senior engineer who started rapidly firing off questions in an online doc sharing website. Heard back 3 weeks later saying I got it. Rate was initially low, but I was able to negotiate it to a number I was happy with.

Interview Questions

• Convert a string to an integer, and some jQuery commands. Not bad.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Was given a low-end rate, but was able to negotiate 30% raise since I had some leverage.

User Interface Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at eBay Inc. (San Jose, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Met with them through university opportunity. Extremely energetic and friendly recruiters. I was emailed to schedule a phone interview. I had a 30 min phone interview a few days later. A week later, they called me to put in their offer and told me about all the benefits and perks of joining their team. An offer letter and employment package was sent to my email. The overall experience and process was pretty exciting and fun.

Analytics Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc. (San Jose, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

First round was a simple phone screen with a recruiter. Why ebay? Why not [previous job]? etc.
    Second round was with a member of the analytics team and was pretty technical. A few brainteasers and mental math questions plus a Fermi estimation/consulting style question that was eBay specific
    Third round was an online test. It was pretty easy, as it was just multiple choice math questions that was probably of difficulty in-between the GMAT and SAT
    Final round was on-site and was pretty grueling. 6 or so interviews throughout the day and all were technical. Most asked a variety of brainteasers and case style questions about eBay as well as miscellaneous business scenarios. An occasional amount of drilling into technical experience on my resume as well. They were interested in projects I had done and what I could have done to improve them now.
    After about 5 days I received a generic email saying they chose someone with more experience

Interview Questions

• 1. Estimate the average number of transactions on eBay per day.
      2. The classic weighing 9 balls with a scale question