eBay Inc.

Updated Dec 22, 2014
Updated Dec 22, 2014

3.1

Software Engineer II Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at eBay Inc..

The hiring process was smooth, we're asked many questions on Java language, how to improve scalability and reliability ....... Not much asked on algorithms....... The entire process was ok and things were fine. The typical questions were - explain OOPS concepts ... Difference between overloading and overriding.... Exceptions and their types....
    Why you want to work at ebay.....

Interview Questions
    • What's the use of final keyword in Java and some basis questions on multi threading.   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff I Software Engineer Quality Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc. in May 2014.

I was communicated on the interview schedule 1 week in advance, there was 1 hour technical phone interview. The result was shared next day and 2nd round of Full day F2F interview was scheduled after 2 weeks. Interview lasted for 7 hours each interviewer getting a time slot of 45 min each. Interview was more on QA related questions and few puzzles were also asked. They said the results would be shared in a couple of weeks and after 2 weeks, I got a call that I have cleared the 2nd round and final interview with the Sr. Manager and Technical Director was scheduled after 2 weeks. It was a 2 hour interview.

Interview Questions
    • It was more of process oriented and Practical in nature.   Answer Question

Software Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc..

Interview is conducted by the people those have more hands on experience, It is very good

Software Engineer II Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc. in April 2014.

Contacted initially by a recruiter, then set up two phone interviews. They're all pretty quick and professional. You give your preferences for phone interview dates/times and they schedule appropriately. The interviewers seemed pretty helpful too. So, first they ask you to tell them your approach to solve a problem and then ask you to code. And they do provide helpful hints along the way.

Interview Questions
    • Phone Interview 1:
      (1)Find maximum height of BST. This is easy using recursion. Then he asked me to do it iteratively, which I somehow managed to solve.
      (2)The Dutch flag problem. This was not tough. But the next question was tough. It was about finding particular keys in a dictionary. They have a custom function that tells you if a key is in the dictionary and you to find out if for given input, you get required output. For example --

The dictionary is like:

{hi,hello,sir,how, are, you}

And you have a function isWord(x) that tells you if a particular word is in that dictinary.

So if the input is hisirhowareyou
      the output must be hi sir how are you

I couldn't solve this problem. :(

View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc. in April 2014.

I was referred by an employee and contacted by their recruiter. My recruiter was one of the nicest people I have had the opportunity to work with. The entire process was so smooth and handled exceptionally well.

I was first contacted via email to setup an phone interview to discuss my likes and interests so the recruiter could decide which teams to forward my resume to. After this, I had 2 phone screens. There was an NDA about the questions but they are very straight forward and there were no ultra-difficult questions. All questions were simple discussions of algorithms and data structures. Make sure you know your basics extremely well. I mean extremely ! other than that, you're fine.

After these 2 interviews, I was asked to schedule a 5 hour back to back skype interview session. All the interviewers were extremely nice and the interviewing was great fun. Then ensured you were comfortable and allowed you to be creative and efficient. I was asked several questions about algorithms, data-structures and design. Make sure you know the basics of OOP design and you're comfortable deconstructing a problem to design a good solution.

After 4 interviews, my brain refused to work in the last one and I was unable to answer a very simple data structure question. Even my interviewer recognized I was probably tired after all the interviews and very patiently tried to help me out. In the end I was able to barely come up with the solution. After this, I was asked to take up one more skype interview and this one went very well.

I was contacted after about a week by the recruiter and they made an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. Questions are very straight forward   Answer Question
    The team was very happy and I was able to negotiate both my salary as well as my joining bonus. They are flexible and its always worth trying to get a raise.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at eBay Inc. in April 2014.

The interview and hiring process was very well done and very fast. After a few 1-2 hour phone calls they gave me the offer. They have over 400 interns throughout all of eBay (Marketplaces, PayPal, Magento, Braintree and Venmo, Enterprise, Stubhub, etc.) and so you enter with a class of about 50-100 students. Everybody is very smart and from a very good university or college. They are mostly looking for PHD's and Master's students. Also, so many students apply that you will probably need at least some sort of connection.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the interview was spent on my previous work and what I had created. They asked specifically about projects that I had worked on with a team.   Answer Question
    The salary is not negotiable. However, you will find that to be just fine because the pay is about as high as it gets. Also they give you incredible housing (instead of just a stipend where you have to go and find your housing and somehow furnish an apartment) as well as fund your travel expenses.

Cloud Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc. in April 2014.

The interview process was standard, I had 2 interviews both technical, questions asked were about Cloud computing and algorithms. It helps if you know OpenStack and community projects.
    Pretty standard Algorithms questions, dynamic programming - longest sustring palindrome.
    College projects, OS

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc. in April 2014.

After the prescreen interview with hr to check my background to see if match,I got an phone interview which has 3 rounds and with different engineer.The question is about data structure and algorithm,not too many programming language specifics.The problems are like this

1. Fibonacci numbers
    1 1 2 3 5 8 13 ...

2. two sum, do not need to deal with duplicate pairs

Interview Questions
    • 1. Fibonacci numbers
      1 1 2 3 5 8 13 ...

2. two sum, do not need to deal with duplicate pairs

Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at eBay Inc. in April 2014.

I applied for 70 to 80 positions for intern positions. Eventually I got call for Java Backend intern position. The interview went well, but I stuck with the question in REST ful web service.

Finance Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online – interviewed at eBay Inc. in April 2014.

Process was rather quick. Applied, within 2 weeks time, received an email asking to set up two 30-min phone interviews (1 with HR and 1 with the manager I would be working for). Both interviews completed within a week.

HR Interview: Very friendly, explained the intern program and my role
    Manager Interview: Mainly Resume/Work Experience Questions

Very friendly and engaging employees and overall the process was very positive

Interview Questions
    • Pointed questions about specific things I did during my internships   Answer Question