eBay Inc.

Updated Mar 2, 2015
Updated Mar 2, 2015

3.1

Software Engineer II Interview

4 people interview, extremely difficult. I went in and the first guy asked me behavioural questions designed to dig into my work ethic and whether id be a good fit

Buyer Protection Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at eBay Inc. in August 2014.

Filled out an application online and about a week later received a phone call asking if I could come in for an interview. First part of the interview I had to listen to different scenarios and choose the proper answer I would provide the customer. The Second Part was a test to determine how much I knew about computers and software. Third part was a Typing Test. After that I was shown around the building and met with a recruiter for eBay, Inc. She asked general questions, wanting to basically know why I wanted the job with eBay. I then had to do an assessment/behavioral test. They informed me they would call me in a few days to let me know if I got the job.

Two days later, I received the phone call and was e-mailed a job offer. I decided to take the position and pay they were offering. They informed me that they'd be back in touch in a few weeks to set up my training class. Over a month and a half later, they reached out to me by phone and e-mail informing me that I would be starting with them in 3 weeks.

Interview Questions
    I actually liked the offer they gave me. No negotiation was needed.

General Ledger Accountant - Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc. in August 2014.

I recently interviewed at eBay Inc and I felt it was a good experience. The hiring process at eBay is seriously slow so be mindful of that. I applied online and about a month later a HR person contacted me via email. I then had a brief phone interview later on that week and it went well. Mostly the conversation was about the position and if it was something that I would be interested in. A week later I was given a date to come in for a interview at the eBay office.

Parking was quite difficult to find as it was really full and also many people didn't seem to know how to park their cars so they took up two spots instead of one.

The Interview itself was okay. I had interviews with 4 different persons and I think that for the HR manager the time should be more than 30 mins. I felt it was too rushed and quite difficult to show case yourself in such a short amount of time. I could tell they wanted to talk to me some more but had to leave because the next person was waiting at the door.

The questions they asked was more about my background, achievements, what my expectations where in the future etc. Nothing complicated or very difficult to answer especially if you have worked on getting prepared for the interview.

After a week I got the generic email that they decided to go with another candidate. I think it came down to what the HR manager wanted in a persons personality.

I was disappointed but well I am glad to have gotten the opportunity to interview with them.

Interview Questions
    • I hope HR improves with the interview process by allowing more time with the HR Manager. Lots of questions where asked on how a cash rec was done or Fixed assets etc.   Answer Question

Android Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc. in August 2014.

Contacted by recruiter, then a phone interview with two senior Android Engineers. Questions ranged from very basics of Android to advanced concepts like caching, thread pooling and Asyn Tasks (with some tricky questions). Received a call after 2 days to come for their final onsite interview. 5 F2F interviews. Each round was for 45 minutes.

Round 1 - Two Senior Android Devs [Android and Data Structures]
    Round 2 - Two Senior QA team members [Andorid QA Test Cases]
    Round 3 - Android Development Manager and Lead Andorid Developer (Lunch) [Past experience and some technical Android dev questions]
    Round 4 - Three Android Developers from the Android team [Data Structures and Algorithms]
    Round 5 - Software Developer and Product Manager [java concepts and HR]

Thee whole interviewing team was great and the process went very smoothly. The interviewers were really helpful while helping me solve the problems they asked. Great team and the credits must go to my recruiter and the Andorid development manager who managed the whole process from start to finish. I was just done with this interview very recently. The reason I am not expecting an offer is because I terribly screwed my 4th round and was stuck at a single question the whole round. I was not satisfied with myself, rest all rounds went fine. I am not expecting an offer though, if I get one, I would be the happiest person alive :) as Android is my passion. But yes, sadly I am not expecting anything. Will try again !!!!

Interview Questions
    • Simple Data Structure Questions with interesting twists in them, I wish I had brushed up my DS before I went.   View Answer

Cloud Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at eBay Inc..

Had three interviews. Two technical and one final with my hiring manager. The technical rounds involved in understanding my fundamentals in data structure and algorithms. Straightforward implementation questions. As soon as I solved a problem, they took another one. They understood my problem solving process. More effectively, it's not about whether I arrived at a solution or not but about how I can solve it together with the interviewer.

No negotiation.

Information Security Engineer III Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at eBay Inc..

Applied after contracting for a year, the interviews were casual and candid regarding the nature of the position. The team dress was informal - no suits and conducted in the workspace (not in an HR center). I met with the hiring manager after a phone screening via the recruiter, and then a team interview with the team.

Interview Questions
    • In spite of the fact that it was a governance job, one of the team interviewees asked an excessively technical question to assess my depth of hands on experience - of which this position needs none, and my resume does not profess to have. It felt designed to take me off guard - but interestingly enough that person is no longer on staff and I am.   Answer Question
    It was a single back and forth discussion - and offer was made, I countered with a financial figure that I needed in order to make the transition and the manager worked it out. It helps to know what the market rate is.

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at eBay Inc..

The interview process was easy and comfortable. Went through a temp agency and they screened every hire. It wasn't a hard interview. Asked questions pertaining to customers. Also asked questions on different scenarios.

easy

Director Level Business Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc. in July 2014.

Got asked to interview mostly because I was able to connect to the hiring manager via a contact I have at eBay. I suspect that uploading resumes would not have worked.

Initial "screening" call with HR ("talent acquisition") was fairly bland, just talking about why I wanted to work for eBay.

Main interview took place a week later, with a series of 6x 30-60 minute one-on-one interviews lasting all morning and into the mid-afternoon. Many of the interviewers appeared unprepared, with very few probing questions, lots of repetition between them, and quite a few empty gaps where you could see them trying to think of something else to ask.

A more junior interviewer had obviously been asked to run a case study, but it was pretty simple - "what process and tests would you run to check the effectiveness of this change to the user interface".

Some questions came up about my lack of retail experience, but as this role was more related to business operations, I stated that it's more my business operations experience that counts.

A week later, I was offered the role and sent all the relevant forms to fill in, along with a request for references.

Unfortunately this is where things started to go wrong... My 6 reference (must have 5+) were sent a link to a web-based review questionnaire from an external company called "Skillsurvey". This was a full-on 360 review. I had to chase the references to let them know what was going on, as they had many problems with something appearing in their inboxes that looked suspiciously like spam / phishing. No problem with 360 reviews, I've had a ton before, but it would be useful to explain how this fits into the process.

Silence ensued for 2 weeks, with no feedback from eBay until a week prior to my allotted start-date. At this point I had a call from the HR rep to say that my references were not to the "standard required" by the company and my offer has been withdrawn.

I asked for feedback in the form of the anonymized report from Skillsurvey, but they refused to share this. I reached out to my referees who all confirmed that they'd given me high marks, nothing that would indicate that they didn't think I'm a strong fit for the role. However, none of the referees are able to access what they submitted online to check / confirm this.

Obviously something has gone wrong with the Skillsurvey black box? Have eBay received the correct data (they referred to my low scores being "across all five references", even though I'd had 6...) Surely eBay would be keen to understand this and rectify if possible? No. After sending copies of positive comments from the referees, I have had stony silence from eBay with no desire to either provide me with useful constructive feedback, or potentially just explain that although I got an average of 6 out of 7 they are looking for 6.5 out of 7...

In summary, the interview process was quite simplistic and the post-interview experience has been very poor with little interest in providing useful feedback.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult. Many people were interested in knowing my eBay feedback score.   Answer Question

Lawyer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc..

Not very technical...focuses more on behaviours and is pretty straightforward. Its more about fit than anything else. You will likely meet 4-7 people and it will take many weeks.

Manager NA FP&A Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc..

Applied online. I was contacted by a recruiter via email 4 weeks later and I replied the same day with 5 business days/times for an initial phone screening. Several days passed and I did not hear anything back. I sent a follow up email on the 5th day to the recruiter asking if any of the days I provided would work. One thing to note here is that 2 of the 5 dates I provided had already passed by that time. I immediately received a response from the recruiter asking for an interview the following day (which was outside of the days I initially provided). Unfortunately, I had to decline due to scheduling conflicts, however we did agree to a time two days later.

The day of the scheduled interview finally came around and I was very eager and excited to talk to the recruiter. If things were only that easy. Exactly 11 mins. before the interview, I received an email from the recruiter (luckily I checked my emails right before the expected call) telling me that the phone screening needed to be rescheduled two days later, without any further explanation. (11 days after the first email) Being employed full time with a very busy work schedule, it is always very challenging to accommodate last minute changes on the calendar. Since this was the first time the recruiter rescheduled, I did not want to make it a big deal and ended up postponing an internal meeting in order to be able to speak to the recruiter at the newly suggested time.

Now, the day of the rescheduled interview finally arrived, but I still had some doubts if the conversation with the recruiter would ever take place. In the hope I would not get an email from the recruiter, I checked my emails one hour before the scheduled call. And there it was. A note from the recruiter mentioning that she was behind with her work load and also at the same time she was preparing for her vacation (she was expecting to take the next 3 business days off). Ultimately, she rescheduled the interview again (the second time!) to the following week when she would be back from vacation. (17 days after her first email) (On a site note, I don’t quite understand why a candidate should suffer when the recruiter is not able to handle their workload.) In addition, the recruiter mentioned in the email that the timing for the role was still good and it seemed that moving the phone screening to following week would not cause any issues or delays in the interview process. Being already very discouraged, I did not have a choice but to agree to the proposed time.

After having the conversation rescheduled twice, my motivation and excitement for the company and position was starting to suffer tremendously. When the third attempted interview date arrived, once again, exactly 10 mins. before the proposed interview time, I again received an email from the recruiter, but this time, explaining that an internal employee was interested in the position I applied to and she was no longer interviewing people for this role.

I would understand if I would have been eliminated from the interview process due to lack of skills or experience. However, going through 3 attempted phone screenings, all cancelled at the last minute, all while being assured that there was no interference with timing, was highly unprofessional. In addition, I always had the feeling that I and my work schedule were not taken seriously.

This experience has certainly given me a completely new perspective on ebay and the professionalism the company has with interviewing candidates. I am very concerned that the lack of seriousness that is presented during the recruitment process is a reflecting of the way ebay conducts business and treats employees.

Interview Questions
    • Never got to a point where I talked to the recruiter. Highly disappointing experience!!   Answer Question