eBay Inc.

Relevance Date Difficulty

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Graduate Software Engineer
London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at eBay Inc. in May 2013.

Interview Details – Recruiter found me CV on a job board. I had a telephone conference interview with two people. It was a technical interview & it was pretty standard apart from few questions related to TDD. Being a graduate, I found it difficult to have knowledge about Test Driven Development. Other questions were straightforward including binary search, pass by value vs pass by reference & java related questions

Interview Question – Questions regarding Agile software development & TDD which I found unexpected as being a graduate I did not really have any experience in TDD.   Answer Question

Classification Specialist Interview

Classification Specialist
London, England (UK)

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in May 2012.

Interview Details – Interview for an entry level contract - permanent position:

1. Online numerical test:

They use a very demanding banking numerical test (the type you'll find on efinancial careers) to vet applicants as they are looking for a 'certain calibre of individual'. The average mark is around 40%.

I was given a series of questions and asked to prepare a short presentation around those questions to be performed during the interview. This involved ideas on how the classification structure of the website can be improved based on other websites/your own knowledge of the concepts behind classification.

2. Series of interviews

The first interview was where I delivered the presentation I had prepared (with print outs from the website/other websites to show my reasoning. I was then challenged on some of my ideas.

In the second I discussed more at length why I wanted to work for eBAY and why this role in particular

The third was an unprepared case study where I was shown some typical classification problems and asked what I thought the solution was.

The final interview was more of a discussion about myself, my interests and what I could bring to the role. The interviewer focused a lot on my personal interests wanted to find out 'what made me tick in the world of work'

Two interviews were a panel and the other two were 1:1

I was rejected because they weren't convinced this was the right role for me and thought I didn't demonstrate enough interest in the day-to-day work of a classification specialist.

They were very prompt about giving feedback and it was refreshing to be given the chance to conduct different interviews with different people on the same day where your strengths and weaknesses could be assessed as a whole. I also thought the team were very friendly and unintimidating.

Interview Question – What are the good and bad points about eBAY's classification structure based on what you've seen of other similar sites. What would you change?   Answer Question

Senior Category Manager Interview

Senior Category Manager
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in March 2009.

Interview Details – I applied after seeing the job posting on LinkedIn. I emailed with the recruiter and had a phone conversation/interview - about the role, my current position, etc. I was invited to come in for an interview with the person I would be reporting to. That interview was a basic resume interview, plus a market sizing case related to the role. I was told I would hear back the following week but didn't; when I followed up I was told they wanted to invite me in for a second and final round, consisting of interviews with 3 more people and a presentation on a topic related to the role to all the people I'd interviewed with. This was all supposed to happen in one afternoon but as it happened one interview, with the MD, had to be rescheduled to the day before the other interviews and presentation. That interview was one of the more awkward I've had (beyond typical awkwardness): the MD was aloof. I was fine with that and the interview was going fairly well until one point when, talking about a particular topic, I asked the MD for some examples of what they'd done. She didn't give me specific examples so I asked for some, she still didn't give any, so I asked again and she became (it seemed to me) annoyed/angry ('we're going off on a tangent, we don't need to go into detail'). So I backed off. Then later in the interview she checked her mobile while I was speaking. I was surprised at how unprofessional she seemed given that she was the MD. I got a call later that evening saying that I didn't need to come in the following day as they thought they needed someone with more direct relevant experience, but there was also a comment that they needed someone more 'analytical'...although the interview involved no sort of assessment of analytical skills. That just seemed absolutely ridiculous since I'm one of the most analytical people I know! More importantly I thought it was inconsiderate to have had me go to the trouble of preparing the presentation and then not give me the opportunity to present it. In the end I emailed them the presentation and I also asked for more specific feedback on my performance and (mis)match for the job, but never heard back. Again, unprofessional, I thought. It's just a shame because (a) I know I could have done a very good job in the role (actually I think I am overqualified for it), and (b) it's left a terrible taste in my mouth about this company and it would take a long time before I'd consider working there after this experience.

Interview Questions

Worked for eBay Inc.? Contribute to the Community!