eBay Inc. Marketing Manager Interview Questions

3.2

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online – interviewed at eBay Inc. (New York, NY) in February 2014.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter, great conversation and quick to schedule follow up interview. Second round phone interview went well then radio silence.

Interview Questions

• Pretty basic interview format...background, most proud of, etc.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for eBay Inc.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at eBay Inc. (San Jose, CA) in June 2010.

Interview

HR emailed regarding the next day interview. Since there was less than 24 hrs notice for the off-campus interview, I asked for clarification for the interview process. HR provided me incorrect information, claiming the interview would mostly be behavior/ fit questions. The interviewer called the next day and was at least 30 minutes late in calling. I emailed HR to figure out what had happened. When the interviewer called, he spent what felt like forever on describing the job. He only asked one question about my resume and it was not behavioral. What surprised me, especially considering time, is that he asked me a case question about Amazon and then asked me more technical questions about online loyalty marketing.

Interview Questions

• The question was tricky in the fact that it was technical to the job and I was not expecting a case question at all. It was about testing your understanding of how much online commerce data can be estimated of the competitor based directly on one online ad.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at eBay Inc. (San Jose, CA) in May 2010.

Interview

Most difficult and unrewarding interview that I have ever had. I spent an entire day at the office (7 interviews that lasted 45 minutes each).

eBay is a company of VERY smart people who don't particularly like their jobs. No one was enthusiastic about their roles and it seemed as if everyone was unsure of the direction of the company.

I thought I nailed the interviews - good background for the position, top school, etc... The bottom line, I don't think I was a fit with the team. Despite the fact that the role was client facing, everyone seemed pretty geeky. Anyways, it worked out because two weeks later I got a offer from Google.

I would stay away.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through an SQL query, several case problems, presentation   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc. (San Jose, CA) in October 2008.

Interview

Probably one of the most taxing I've ever been through. I had a take-home skills test to do, and I went in for two rounds of in-person interviews and spent 3+ hours each time. I was asked to give a portfolio presentation to a room full of people -- a first for me in this type of position. All went well and I had a verbal offer, but the day before I was to receive the written offer, hiring was frozen.

Interview Questions

• Not a specific question, but being asked to defend my choices and reasoning on the take-home skills test.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at eBay Inc. (San Jose, CA) in May 2008.

Interview

The interview started out very organized. The recruiter/HR department was courtegous and explained the position well. The phone interview with the hiring manager was good. Spent about 30 minutes going over the questions. The on-site interview was just ok and didn't give a good impression of the company culture.

Interview Questions

• If you had 10 million dollars to spend to market eBay, how would you spend it   1 Answer
    • How would you get existing members to become more active?   1 Answer

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at eBay Inc..

Interview

Hired from online contact, in particular from website. Classic interview process with questions from background, coursework, field project. more questions about me and my skills, how I developed them and what I would like to be in 10 years.
    arrange some question for the interviewer because you will need to do 1 or 2.

Interview Questions

• How you manage the weaknesses of a person in your group   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc..

Interview

Invited for initial interview by HR
    1. interview with manager for the position
    -basics about resume and qualification
    - some what-if test questions and a case to solve
    2. interview with upper management
    -basics about resume and qualification
    -relatively long (20-30min) test case

Interview Questions

• Test case to project market & revenue potential for a product   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc. in May 2010.

Interview

Overall, I wouldn't say the interview was super difficult, but it was different from what I was accustomed to. They like to ask questions related to finding out how you think and approach things (trying to understand your thought process). They hardly ask any typical questions you'd expect, and more hypothetical ones (i.e. how would you determine the number of burrito shops in a certain city?). It seemed like they cared more about your overall intelligence versus your actual experience.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about determining how many burrito shops were in your home town, without access to the Internet or any resources?   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc. in May 2010.

Interview

Straight forward: 1) Phone interview with a case study and one puzzle 2) onsite with several questions on ebay site and some basic SQL questions. Make sure the interviewer understands your sql logic

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at eBay Inc. in January 2010.

Interview

After a quick phone screen, I was scheduled for a standard Silicon Valley-style of four 1:1 interviews that would last for about 2-3 hours. When I came in, the initial interviewer (and hiring manager) didn't seem to know much about the position, which was pretty scary, but the questions she asked were very, very general. I asked her some general and focused questions about the specific functions and skillsets and she couldn't answer most of them. Wow.

The next person didn't seem to care that he was interviewing me and asked rather mundane questions. He constantly checked his watch and phone before cutting it short and stating that he was late for a meeting.

The third person was quite nice but wasn't on the direct team and again, didn't know much about the position (though given her position was understandable).

The last person was equally friendly but much more conversational. It was more about how my personality fit with the team as opposed to my specific skills and background, but he mentioned that eBay wasn't what it used to be and is constantly changing to the point where there is no direction or focus. He called it "semi-organized chaos."

Afterwards, I was told by the hiring manager that I would be contacted by phone later that week. She never called, so I followed up by phone and email and never got a response.

Needless to say, I took a job somewhere else.

Interview Questions

• Very, very general - "Describe some of the projects you worked on at Company X and what were the challenges and outcomes"   Answer Question