eBay Inc. Interview Questions & Reviews in San Jose, CA

3.1

122 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at eBay Inc..

Contacted by a sourcer via email. I expressed interest in the role, and she set me up with a phone interview with the recruiter. The sourcer gave me a heads-up that it might be a couple of weeks before I was contacted by the recruiter, and it took about that long. I had an initial phone interview with the recruiter for about 30 minutes. I was then set up with another phone interview with a 'peer of the position' - not the hiring manager. Talked to the peer for about 30 minutes and things seemed to go okay.

About two weeks later, the recruiter contacted me to set up an in-person interview and to give me a written design test. (I was given two pages and asked to redesign them.) I was then brought in for an in-person interview with two of the role's colleagues and the hiring manager. The time with the two colleagues was roughly 15 minutes each. We reviewed my design test and I explained my decision-making process around each design choice. They didn't really ask me anything about my background. The interview with the hiring manager was last, and lasted for about 30 minutes. She didn't want to see the design tests, nor did she ask me a single question about my background. She did, however, talk non-stop about herself and the company. I mean, literally, non-stop. She didn't even pause for breath. I kept looking for an opening so I could find out more about the role, how it fit in with the organization's strategy, how I would be working with other departments, etc., but without raising my hands in semaphore, or jumping to my feet and shouting her down, it wasn't going to happen. We ran over 5 minutes (um, she finally stopped talking when she realized that we were 5 minutes over), and she excused herself, saying she had to run to another meeting. I did not get to ask a single question, nor were any questions asked of me.

I did not expect anything to come of this interview, because how could they possibly know anything about me after that? However, I was contacted by the recruiter about 3 weeks later with an offer. Which I accepted.

And it's not working out. Warning: if the hiring manager leaves all the heavy lifting to other people, they probably aren't going to be that great of a manager. Lesson learned.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was really 'difficult.' I explained my design decisions and that was about it. If you have this type of test, make sure all of your decisions are based on research or some sort of solid decision-making tree, so that you can defend your work.   Answer Question
    I already had done some research and calculations, and had a good sense of what I wanted and what I might be offered.

When the recruiter called to talk about an offer, I asked point-blank what they were offering. When he hedged, I told him the range I was looking for, quoting the (very) high side first, then making the low end what I would take, leaving the middle for what I would be happy with. They offered me the middle, and we were all fine with that.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at eBay Inc. in April 2012.

The hiring and interview process was relatively straightforward and standard. You are scheduled for a panel of interviews between 6-8 people with each getting about 30 minutes of time. I was interviewed by an array of other contractor employees and then finally interviewed by the lead engineer, a senior engineer, the product manager and then the senior product development architect.

Interview Questions
    • Asking who I worked with at a previous company given how the interviewer also previously worked for the same company but at a different company campus.   View Answer
    It was a pre-negotiated contract rate by a referral/contract placement agency.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at eBay Inc. in July 2013.

2 skype interviews. Usually programming. Gayle lakman book algorithm questions.

4 onsite technical interivews which are agian from same book.

3 skype or onsite rounds with director/manager which can be combination of algorithms and managerial questions.

Interview Questions
    • Given staircase on which you can climb 1,2 or 3 steps at time. Give count of all combinations to reach top of staircase.

Doubly linked list, find middle element and delete.

Remove all occurence of a character out of string in array.
        Answer Question
    Usually what you ask is what you get. Sometimes less than that. So they often bump up the joining bonus and relocation bonus to match up. Note that joining bonus are subject to 44% tax.

Product Management Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at eBay Inc. in May 2013.

Two rounds of (standard algorithm-based) back-to-back coding interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected: How would you change eBay's DOM to make your purchasing experience better?   Answer Question

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in January 2011.

phone interview lasted 1 hour and then followed by 8 hr panel interview.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

The process took 2 months - interviewed at eBay Inc..

I was contacted by an outside recruiter who asked few basic resume questions. She forwarded my resume to a team.
    There was technical phone screen with few coding questions like write all permutation of the string.
    Later, to my surprise was asked for a Skype interview as I was not a local candidate. I was not at all impressed by the interviewers. First person could not connect to the skype for 15 mins. Eventually due to poor quality of his data network on his "phone" (not from a desktop computer with a wifi)- we had to turn-off the video.
    He had asked an array merging question and it took me 20 mins to code and 40 mins to explain him how and why the code would work. It was the simplest of codes and I have written complicated code. It was not that he wanted to know my thought process- but it seemed he did not understand.

Second was a guy with a thick accent and a low talker. Why would you ask such a person to interview if he cannot put his point through. He had asked reversing a linked list and Fibonacci. Pretty straight forward coding.
    Third interview was even worse where the interviewer would drum and was humming some music while I was writing the code. What on earth is the problem with this girl? She was so rude- I am not kidding- while I was explaining my thought process of her solution, she interjects saying...'can you just code and not explain things'. So the question was to check if the number is a palindrome and as she did not want me to explain- I wrote the entire code where I converted the int to string and compared it with its reverse. Now she pulls me down as why would I give a solution like that. Anyways, within few mins, I gave her division and modulo way of checking the palindrome of the number. Without responding, she jumps to SQL questions. Wow!
    Finally the manager comes- who was better than the previous three and asked to write a code to convert string to int which I coded pretty well within 20 mins. In the last 10 mins he comes up with another question for which I was able to code partially due to time constraint.

Interview Questions
    • Last interviews question for which I got 10 mins was a tricky one.
      He wanted me to implement Google's "Did you mean" logic.
        View Answer

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 months - interviewed at eBay Inc..

Linkedin
    Background Phone Screen
    Technical Phone Screen
    On Site with about 5 interviewer
    Call with VP
    Call with Senior VP
    Offer sent.

Interview Questions
    • Backtracking related : 8 queen.
      Stacks, Heap and Tree.
      Array question
        Answer Question
    Offer was good, no negotiation.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at eBay Inc. in November 2012.

Accelerated due to outstanding offers

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in June 2013.

My initial communications was with an outside agency that set me up with this interview.

Once they had reviewed my interview and decided to move forward they set up an interview with in 4 days of my original notification of the job availability. The interview process was very informal and the structure was very laid back and more conversational than Q & A. This also goes for my 2nd interview that was scheduled about 3 days after my first interview.

Interview Questions
    • Instead of asking questions they turned the interview into a very easy conversation where they imposed the interview question within the conversation which help bring about a more natural response.   Answer Question

Software Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at eBay Inc. in June 2013.

Spoke with hiring manager for 30-45 mins on phone and questions were mostly around how many direct reports I had at my current position, do I have experience with hiring and firing people, who would I spend time with - the struggling team member or good performing team member etc.

Went onsite and spoke with 3 technical and 3 management people. Technical questions were mostly about variations of singleton, traceroute, mock testing, LRU cache etc. The interviewer tried to be smart about variations and was expecting answer that he wanted. This was over lunch in cafeteria and had to substitute napkins (to show data packets in traceroute) for white board. Another interviewer talked about performance testing and content management systems. He commented that think-time in load tests is not a good idea but didn't tell me a reason why. Another comment was about downside of consolidating content management systems which dissolved into a obvious response of striking a balance between over consolidation and maintaining flexibility for edge cases. Final tech. interviewer questions were about cloud and reasons for using IaaS and Paas. There were some comments on advantages/disadvantages which I tried to avoid pointing mistakes in his arguments. In between the hiring manager popped in to ask some questions about managing team members. He could not explain for few mins what he was expecting in a person for the role. He looked really busy and seemed distant for the few mins we spoke.

If the hiring manager has been with the same company for more than 10 yrs, to me its a red flag. They are heavily invested in status quo and do not have knowledge of outside world.

Did not hear back from them after 5 days.

Interview Questions
    • Didn't find any questions difficult but felt the interviewers were small minded and unprepared.   Answer Question