eBay Inc. Interview Questions in San Jose, CA

Updated Apr 16, 2015

3.1

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at eBay Inc. (San Jose, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I got a phone call from the recruiter who mentioned that eBay is their direct client. The recruiter herself asked some basic Core Java questions. Then they send me a email to solve a technical question and write up about my experience in cloud computing.

Interview Questions

• Write a program in Java to assess a given string whether it complies with following patterns. Return true if a given string complies with these patterns else false.

N = N1 + N2
      N>= N1 >= N2
      where N is the Nth element in the string or element at Nth position;
      N1 is the (N-1) element in the string & N2 is the (N-2) element in the string.

Example 1: 224610
      Elements in this string are 2, 2, 4, 6, 10.
      First Set: 2+2=4 (N2=2; N1=2 & N= 4);
      Second Set: 2+4=6 (N2=2; N1=4 & N=6);
      Third Set: 4+6=10 (N2=4; N1=6 & N= 10)

Example 2: 1112233558
      Elements in this string are 1, 11, 12, 23, 35, 58

Example 3: 1101102203
      Elements in this string are 1, 101, 102, 203

2 Answers

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc. (San Jose, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

After applying online got an email from recruiter to schedule a phone Interview.

Got a call to schedule onsite after one week of phone interview. Onsite interview had 4 rounds.

After 1 week of the onsite interview got an email about the result. Pretty standard algorithm questions.

Interview Questions

• Given two binary trees check if one is subtree of other.
      Verify if given series is a Fibonacci series or not.
      Reverse a doubly linked list.
      Given a BST with integer values and a key, find the closest node to the key. eg. for BST 1 4 7 15 and key 8 node 7 is to be returned.
      Some design based questions.

Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at eBay Inc. (San Jose, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

had two 45 min interview both where more or less the same.
    the questions in the second intr was from my resume and 2 programming questions - Given a string print the oldest repeating character and newest none repeating character - Given a string of open and close brackets return whether the number of open and close brackets match or not.

Interview Questions

• the first interview was about basic question on OOP concepts like ( polymorphism , inheritance and encapsulation) and one programming ques - anagrams.

User Interface Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at eBay Inc. (San Jose, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Met with them through university opportunity. Extremely energetic and friendly recruiters. I was emailed to schedule a phone interview. I had a 30 min phone interview a few days later. A week later, they called me to put in their offer and told me about all the benefits and perks of joining their team. An offer letter and employment package was sent to my email. The overall experience and process was pretty exciting and fun.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at eBay Inc. (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Ebay needs a more standard recruiting process. I applied through a career fair at my university. The interview process took two months for me, with an in person at my campus and a long one at their HQ.

Interview questions were creative and product based. It wasn't too technical, although I did have to give some considerations to the technical feasibility of my ideas.

Interview Questions

• How can you improve <insert random product>?   1 Answer

Product Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at eBay Inc. (San Jose, CA).

Interview

I applied through hreference and got call to be interviewed by the hiring manager, he then asked if i took their aptitude test, i was sent none so he asked me few basic things and seemed to like me because he even asked when can i join if selected. Then after 3 days and one reminded email i got link to take the test. Test needs practice as time is the critical issue there. I don't know what the passing criteria would be but later I come to know they were expecting 100% on the test.

Senior Software Engineer In Quality Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at eBay Inc. (San Jose, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Applied on their company website. Received an email and phone screen scheduled. It went fine but then there was no reply from the company. When I followed up they said I hear positive feedback. You will be contacted by the recruiter soon. Then on site scheduled.

Interview Questions

• Telephone: What is immutable in Java. Make test cases for a function which returns the dimension of a box with input parameters as width, length and height. Other testing and agile related questions.   Answer Question
    • On Site: Given a huge file, find duplicate strings and return how many times it appeared. Given a table of employee and salary, find the highest salary in each department.   Answer Question
    • On site:Given an array of numbers, find the pair of two numbers whose sum is less than six. Design a RDBMS for a stock market. 5.   Answer Question
    • Given an array of size 100 with sequential numbers, there is only one number is duplicate. Find that number.
      Return the 2nd highest salary from salary table

General Ledger Accountant - Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc. (Santa Clara, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

I recently interviewed at eBay Inc and I felt it was a good experience. The hiring process at eBay is seriously slow so be mindful of that. I applied online and about a month later a HR person contacted me via email. I then had a brief phone interview later on that week and it went well. Mostly the conversation was about the position and if it was something that I would be interested in. A week later I was given a date to come in for a interview at the eBay office.

Parking was quite difficult to find as it was really full and also many people didn't seem to know how to park their cars so they took up two spots instead of one.

The Interview itself was okay. I had interviews with 4 different persons and I think that for the HR manager the time should be more than 30 mins. I felt it was too rushed and quite difficult to show case yourself in such a short amount of time. I could tell they wanted to talk to me some more but had to leave because the next person was waiting at the door.

The questions they asked was more about my background, achievements, what my expectations where in the future etc. Nothing complicated or very difficult to answer especially if you have worked on getting prepared for the interview.

After a week I got the generic email that they decided to go with another candidate. I think it came down to what the HR manager wanted in a persons personality.

I was disappointed but well I am glad to have gotten the opportunity to interview with them.

Interview Questions

• I hope HR improves with the interview process by allowing more time with the HR Manager. Lots of questions where asked on how a cash rec was done or Fixed assets etc.   Answer Question

Cloud Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at eBay Inc. (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Had three interviews. Two technical and one final with my hiring manager. The technical rounds involved in understanding my fundamentals in data structure and algorithms. Straightforward implementation questions. As soon as I solved a problem, they took another one. They understood my problem solving process. More effectively, it's not about whether I arrived at a solution or not but about how I can solve it together with the interviewer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Director Level Business Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc. (Campbell, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

Got asked to interview mostly because I was able to connect to the hiring manager via a contact I have at eBay. I suspect that uploading resumes would not have worked.

Initial "screening" call with HR ("talent acquisition") was fairly bland, just talking about why I wanted to work for eBay.

Main interview took place a week later, with a series of 6x 30-60 minute one-on-one interviews lasting all morning and into the mid-afternoon. Many of the interviewers appeared unprepared, with very few probing questions, lots of repetition between them, and quite a few empty gaps where you could see them trying to think of something else to ask.

A more junior interviewer had obviously been asked to run a case study, but it was pretty simple - "what process and tests would you run to check the effectiveness of this change to the user interface".

Some questions came up about my lack of retail experience, but as this role was more related to business operations, I stated that it's more my business operations experience that counts.

A week later, I was offered the role and sent all the relevant forms to fill in, along with a request for references.

Unfortunately this is where things started to go wrong... My 6 reference (must have 5+) were sent a link to a web-based review questionnaire from an external company called "Skillsurvey". This was a full-on 360 review. I had to chase the references to let them know what was going on, as they had many problems with something appearing in their inboxes that looked suspiciously like spam / phishing. No problem with 360 reviews, I've had a ton before, but it would be useful to explain how this fits into the process.

Silence ensued for 2 weeks, with no feedback from eBay until a week prior to my allotted start-date. At this point I had a call from the HR rep to say that my references were not to the "standard required" by the company and my offer has been withdrawn.

I asked for feedback in the form of the anonymized report from Skillsurvey, but they refused to share this. I reached out to my referees who all confirmed that they'd given me high marks, nothing that would indicate that they didn't think I'm a strong fit for the role. However, none of the referees are able to access what they submitted online to check / confirm this.

Obviously something has gone wrong with the Skillsurvey black box? Have eBay received the correct data (they referred to my low scores being "across all five references", even though I'd had 6...) Surely eBay would be keen to understand this and rectify if possible? No. After sending copies of positive comments from the referees, I have had stony silence from eBay with no desire to either provide me with useful constructive feedback, or potentially just explain that although I got an average of 6 out of 7 they are looking for 6.5 out of 7...

In summary, the interview process was quite simplistic and the post-interview experience has been very poor with little interest in providing useful feedback.

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult. Many people were interested in knowing my eBay feedback score.   Answer Question