eBay Inc.

Getting the Interview

7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc..

Interview Details – I was recommended by my university classmates. There are one phone interview, five on-site interviews, including one hr interview and four technology interviews.

Interview Question – They valued modeling very much, such as train ticket ordering system, crossroad light design etc. Besides, They asked many java basis, not many algorithms. I think they care more about the problem-solving ability, the learning ability.   Answer Question

Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in December 2013.

Interview Details – The first round is a telephone interview. Questions include basic algorithm, data structure, Java and Database.
After about a week, I got a chance to do onsite interview with four eBay employees, each for about 45 minutes. All of them asked questions about algorithm and data structure. The third one asked more about design patterns.

Interview Question – Some questions about problem solving, like describing how a VPN system works.   Answer Question

Engineering Manager Interview

Engineering Manager
Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in March 2013.

Interview Details – I did 2 phone screen with 1 engineer and 1 hiring manager.
after that there is an on site interview with 5 people including people reporting to you, you peers, and supervisors.
After you pass this on-site interview, you will talk with US peers.

Interview Question – some open question which does not have a clear answer. e.g. how do you handle a large scale system with only 1 database.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – not so many negotiation

Data Mining Analyst Interview

Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at eBay Inc. in September 2012.

Interview Details – I applied through the posting on linkedin.

1. Initial phone screen from HR.
2. Phone interview from a team member who asked 3 statistics questions.
3. On-site interview with four 1:1. 2 managers and 2 team members. Team members asked a mixture of statistics, SQL, and algorithm questions. Managers asked more behavioral. Interview was more laid back than other companies I've interviewed with. Half the session was spent discussing the solution after writing it on the whiteboard.
4. Final phone interview with senior US manager. Algorithm question on page sequencing.

One thing to note, HR called me one day in advance for the on site interview after 3 weeks have already passed since the phone interview, and then followed up 2 hours later changing it to same day. I didn't mind, but was pretty sure I wouldn't get the offer after the 3 weeks passed. Regardless, ebay's hiring team and interviewers were very courteous and warm. Overall experience was highly enjoyable!

Interview Question – For most statistics majors with masters or pHD, the questions should be very straight forward.

Intermediate SQL questions weren't too difficult either.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Initial offer was a bit low so I countered with a 25% increase and it was accepted.

Pudong, Shanghai (China)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at eBay Inc. in July 2012.

Interview Details – After the hunter push me to ebay almost one week,an engineer call me for technology interview.She asked me:1.final,finally,finalize;2.static and non staic ;3.hashmap and hashtable;4.virtual function and pointer;5.some android questions.We talked almost one hour and finished.Because she saied too fast and I had to get her explain several times.

Interview Question – 1.final,finally,finalize;2.static and non staic ;3.hashmap and hashtable;4.virtual function and pointer;5.some android questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Software Engineering
Pudong, Shanghai (China)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at eBay Inc. in March 2010.

Interview Details – I can't remember the details well. But the interviewer is nice.
It's 1:1 interview. First I introduced myself in English, then he asked me what I'm interested in and some programming questions.
My advice is: firstly you must be well prepared, self-introduction and something else; secondly, doing more practice, he will ask you a lot of practical problems.

Interview Question – What is the difference of session, cookie and cache?   View Answers (2)

Pudong, Shanghai (China)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at eBay Inc. in February 2010.

Interview Details – This is a position offered internally by internal employee. We have working relationship before so we know each other a little. The technology required is almost the same so there is no gap for my previous position and this one.

Interview Questions

• About du command of unix, how to do it for 10 folders and how to optimize?   Answer Question
  • When you get back home, if you find that the TV has boken, how would you traige?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for eBay Inc.? Contribute to the Community!

eBay Inc. Videos

eBay Inc. – Why Work for Us?

​​ ​​From humble beginnings to a global company that’s changing the future of commerce, eBay Inc. has always been a place where innovation and collaboration are celebrated. Today, eBay Inc. fosters an entrepreneurial… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at eBay Inc. interview questions and advice in Shanghai, China. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by eBay Inc. employees and interview candidates.