eBay Inc.

Updated Nov 6, 2014

3.4

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc..

I was recommended by my university classmates. There are one phone interview, five on-site interviews, including one hr interview and four technology interviews.

Interview Questions
    • They valued modeling very much, such as train ticket ordering system, crossroad light design etc. Besides, They asked many java basis, not many algorithms. I think they care more about the problem-solving ability, the learning ability.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc. in December 2013.

The first round is a telephone interview. Questions include basic algorithm, data structure, Java and Database.
    After about a week, I got a chance to do onsite interview with four eBay employees, each for about 45 minutes. All of them asked questions about algorithm and data structure. The third one asked more about design patterns.

Interview Questions
    • Some questions about problem solving, like describing how a VPN system works.   Answer Question

Staff Software Engineer (MTS1) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc. in August 2013.

The position is for big data related platform.
    More than 7-8 rounds for several weeks. One reason is that recruiting manager takes business trip at the beginning. Other local managers/engineers interview me first. Then recruiting managers. BU director at last.

Interview Questions
    • design distributed, high performance, fault-tolerant, scaling cache layer   View Answer

My salary is higher than upper limit in MTS1 level. They cannot make good offer. My boss gave me a raise.

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc. in March 2013.

I did 2 phone screen with 1 engineer and 1 hiring manager.
    after that there is an on site interview with 5 people including people reporting to you, you peers, and supervisors.
    After you pass this on-site interview, you will talk with US peers.

Interview Questions
    • some open question which does not have a clear answer. e.g. how do you handle a large scale system with only 1 database.   Answer Question
    not so many negotiation

Data Mining Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at eBay Inc. in September 2012.

I applied through the posting on linkedin.

1. Initial phone screen from HR.
    2. Phone interview from a team member who asked 3 statistics questions.
    3. On-site interview with four 1:1. 2 managers and 2 team members. Team members asked a mixture of statistics, SQL, and algorithm questions. Managers asked more behavioral. Interview was more laid back than other companies I've interviewed with. Half the session was spent discussing the solution after writing it on the whiteboard.
    4. Final phone interview with senior US manager. Algorithm question on page sequencing.

One thing to note, HR called me one day in advance for the on site interview after 3 weeks have already passed since the phone interview, and then followed up 2 hours later changing it to same day. I didn't mind, but was pretty sure I wouldn't get the offer after the 3 weeks passed. Regardless, ebay's hiring team and interviewers were very courteous and warm. Overall experience was highly enjoyable!

Interview Questions
    • For most statistics majors with masters or pHD, the questions should be very straight forward.

Intermediate SQL questions weren't too difficult either.

Answer Question
    Initial offer was a bit low so I countered with a 25% increase and it was accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pudong, Shanghai (China)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at eBay Inc. in July 2012.

After the hunter push me to ebay almost one week,an engineer call me for technology interview.She asked me:1.final,finally,finalize;2.static and non staic ;3.hashmap and hashtable;4.virtual function and pointer;5.some android questions.We talked almost one hour and finished.Because she saied too fast and I had to get her explain several times.

Interview Questions
    • 1.final,finally,finalize;2.static and non staic ;3.hashmap and hashtable;4.virtual function and pointer;5.some android questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pudong, Shanghai (China)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at eBay Inc. in March 2010.

I can't remember the details well. But the interviewer is nice.
    It's 1:1 interview. First I introduced myself in English, then he asked me what I'm interested in and some programming questions.
    My advice is: firstly you must be well prepared, self-introduction and something else; secondly, doing more practice, he will ask you a lot of practical problems.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pudong, Shanghai (China)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at eBay Inc. in February 2010.

This is a position offered internally by internal employee. We have working relationship before so we know each other a little. The technology required is almost the same so there is no gap for my previous position and this one.

Interview Questions
    • About du command of unix, how to do it for 10 folders and how to optimize?   Answer Question
    • When you get back home, if you find that the TV has boken, how would you traige?   Answer Question