eBay Inc.

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in February 2014.

Interview Details – The process was pretty straightforward. I applied online at their website and got a call from the recruiter Peter O' Neil in a couple of weeks. An interview was scheduled for 1 hr over the phone. Initially I was asked a bunch of knowledge-based qs related to arrays,hash tables,REST,JSon,Relational Databases etc.

Interview Question – I was given a class definition and function signature in Java and I had to define the function. I was told that we know how to read characters from a stream of input characters and my function had to return a line of characters from the input stream. Had to handle the corresponding errors.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at eBay Inc..

Interview Details – The interview was for two hours. They asked about my resume. While I was telling them, they cut me short and went directly to technical questions. I am not a very good coder. So I was taking too long to answer. Hence got rejected. But prepare Cracking the coding interview completely before giving an eBay Interview.

Interview Question – Almost all the coding questions asked was tough.   Answer Question

Software Developer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in May 2013.

Interview Details – There were 2 back to back phone interviews, one was good , other one was difficult.

Interview Question – Implement a HashMap   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software Developer

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc..

Interview Details – Had a phone screen, basic questions including deleting a node in a linked list, inserting a node in a BST

Interview Question – Nothing, it wasnt difficult   Answer Question

Chennai (India)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at eBay Inc. in July 2011.

Interview Details – Initially, I got a call from HR to know if I am interested in the job opportunity. After that all my communications were with the manager whose team had openings. So, we (me & the manager) set up a preferred time for initial phone screening. In the first round of phone interview, our conversation started with introductions from both sides and making sure we both are interested in proceeding further. Then started technical round with some actual interview questions.
I had 5+ years of experience in Java and was asked questions about design patterns. They were not direct questions but real life problems and how to solve them using design pattern. Then there were also few questions on high level java. I was able to answer most of them. So, the manager concluded the phone call with a note saying he will get back about the exact date when I can come to the company for in-person 1:1 interview.
Then was the in-person interview. I went to the company location on my own and the interview started from around 10Am and lasted till 5:00PM. Was interviewed by 5 people one after the other. Questions were mostly on high level design of enterprise systems and applications.
At the end of it, had a short meeting with the manager again and it was clear that he was interested. But he informed that the formal communications will follow. Got email few days later with details.

Interview Question – Given a situation where in you can choose either composition or inheritance, which one would you choose? and why?   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Software Developer

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in February 2011.

Interview Details – A recruiter from eBay contacted me to set up the interview. She took awhile to get back to me and I had to contact her a few times to ask. She finally set up a phone interview that took 30 minutes. It's quite technical in nature. I wonder who memorizes this stuff off the top of their head. I haven't done anything to do with a bit operator since college and do not remember it.

Interview Questions

• Describe pass by reference. You have a program with a method changeMe() that takes a string. In the main method, a string is set to "Hello" and it is passed to changeMe(). The changeMe() method sets the string to "I'm changed". In the main method, after call to changeMe(), there is a print statement for the string. What is printed?   View Answers (2)
  • If you have an array of characters, write a method to reverse the string.   View Answers (2)
  • What way can you tell if an integer is odd or even?   View Answers (2)
  • What is the difference between HTTP POST and GET? Which can be bookmarked?   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at eBay Inc.

Worked for eBay Inc.? Contribute to the Community!

eBay Inc. Videos

eBay Inc. – Why Work for Us?

​​ ​​From humble beginnings to a global company that’s changing the future of commerce, eBay Inc. has always been a place where innovation and collaboration are celebrated. Today, eBay Inc. fosters an entrepreneurial… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at eBay Inc. Software Developer interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by eBay Inc. employees and interview candidates.