eBay Inc. Software Engineer II Interview Questions

Updated Mar 27, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc. (San Jose, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

After applying online got an email from recruiter to schedule a phone Interview.

Got a call to schedule onsite after one week of phone interview. Onsite interview had 4 rounds.

After 1 week of the onsite interview got an email about the result. Pretty standard algorithm questions.

Interview Questions

• Given two binary trees check if one is subtree of other.
    Verify if given series is a Fibonacci series or not.
    Reverse a doubly linked list.
    Given a BST with integer values and a key, find the closest node to the key. eg. for BST 1 4 7 15 and key 8 node 7 is to be returned.
    Some design based questions.

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for eBay Inc.

Software Engineer II Interview

Interview

4 people interview, extremely difficult. I went in and the first guy asked me behavioural questions designed to dig into my work ethic and whether id be a good fit

Software Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at eBay Inc..

Interview

The hiring process was smooth, we're asked many questions on Java language, how to improve scalability and reliability ....... Not much asked on algorithms....... The entire process was ok and things were fine. The typical questions were - explain OOPS concepts ... Difference between overloading and overriding.... Exceptions and their types....
    Why you want to work at ebay.....

Interview Questions

• What's the use of final keyword in Java and some basis questions on multi threading.   Answer Question

Software Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc. in April 2014.

Interview

Contacted initially by a recruiter, then set up two phone interviews. They're all pretty quick and professional. You give your preferences for phone interview dates/times and they schedule appropriately. The interviewers seemed pretty helpful too. So, first they ask you to tell them your approach to solve a problem and then ask you to code. And they do provide helpful hints along the way.

Interview Questions

• Phone Interview 1:
      (1)Find maximum height of BST. This is easy using recursion. Then he asked me to do it iteratively, which I somehow managed to solve.
      (2)The Dutch flag problem. This was not tough. But the next question was tough. It was about finding particular keys in a dictionary. They have a custom function that tells you if a key is in the dictionary and you to find out if for given input, you get required output. For example --

The dictionary is like:

{hi,hello,sir,how, are, you}

And you have a function isWord(x) that tells you if a particular word is in that dictinary.

So if the input is hisirhowareyou
      the output must be hi sir how are you

I couldn't solve this problem. :(

2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc. (Seattle, WA) in April 2014.

Interview

I was referred by an employee and contacted by their recruiter. My recruiter was one of the nicest people I have had the opportunity to work with. The entire process was so smooth and handled exceptionally well.

I was first contacted via email to setup an phone interview to discuss my likes and interests so the recruiter could decide which teams to forward my resume to. After this, I had 2 phone screens. There was an NDA about the questions but they are very straight forward and there were no ultra-difficult questions. All questions were simple discussions of algorithms and data structures. Make sure you know your basics extremely well. I mean extremely ! other than that, you're fine.

After these 2 interviews, I was asked to schedule a 5 hour back to back skype interview session. All the interviewers were extremely nice and the interviewing was great fun. Then ensured you were comfortable and allowed you to be creative and efficient. I was asked several questions about algorithms, data-structures and design. Make sure you know the basics of OOP design and you're comfortable deconstructing a problem to design a good solution.

After 4 interviews, my brain refused to work in the last one and I was unable to answer a very simple data structure question. Even my interviewer recognized I was probably tired after all the interviews and very patiently tried to help me out. In the end I was able to barely come up with the solution. After this, I was asked to take up one more skype interview and this one went very well.

I was contacted after about a week by the recruiter and they made an offer.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected. Questions are very straight forward   1 Answer

Negotiation

The team was very happy and I was able to negotiate both my salary as well as my joining bonus. They are flexible and its always worth trying to get a raise.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc. (Seattle, WA) in March 2014.

Interview

Initially the recruited contacted me and scheduled a 30 minute phone screen. He asked me about my background and resume and noted down everything I said, and told me he would pass on these details to all hiring managers.

After a few days, I was scheduled for two technical phone screens on the same day - one hour each.

I was asked basic algorithm questions in both the interviews.

I solved the algorithm asked in the first interview within 20 minutes. But, he kept asking for other possible solutions. He accepted my initial solution to be the best approach, but still wanted me to identify other approaches. I would have suggested 5 or 6 approaches. He then asked the question #2 when there was just 5 minutes left.

The interviewer in the second call was in a high position, but hardly knew how to talk in an interview. She could not answer me a simple question I asked to her (about development methodologies the team used).

I received a rejection email within 3 days after the interview.

Interview Questions

• 1. Implement a function that would accept two strings and check if one string is an anagram of the other.
      2. Given an array(list) of integers, write a function that would determine if the elements in the array can be divided into two parts each giving the same sum.
      3. Email address drop-down application. For example, when we type email address while composing an email, we get a drop down of suggested email address options starting with same letter(s). Write code to do this. (This was basically the implementation of trie data structure).

Software Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc..

Interview

Recruiter
    Phone call
    On site
    Offer

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Didnt negotiate much

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at eBay Inc. (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Linkedin
    Background Phone Screen
    Technical Phone Screen
    On Site with about 5 interviewer
    Call with VP
    Call with Senior VP
    Offer sent.

Interview Questions

• Backtracking related : 8 queen.
      Stacks, Heap and Tree.
      Array question

Answer Question

Negotiation

Offer was good, no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at eBay Inc. (San Jose, CA) in July 2013.

Interview

Experience was good. Had 2 phone interviews and 6 on-site (2 of them were with manager and director). If the director takes your interview then it means you are not a straightaway reject.
    Lot of coding and testing questions. One coding/design round was interesting. Interviews round all depend on who's taking it. If an intelligent person takes it, then you might have a wonderful experience.

Interview Questions

• Puzzles like math problems and regular interview puzzles   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at eBay Inc. (Seattle, WA) in March 2013.

Interview

It starts with talking to recruiter followed by technical phone interview for 2 hours. It included two coding questions. It was followed by on-site interview that lasted for 4 hours.

Interview Questions

• Questions were from problems team was solving day to day as part of their job.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was offered competitive salary and I accepted it