eBay Inc.

Average Difficulty
12 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in February 2012.

Interview Details – Had 2 phone interviews. Most of the questions were about performance and site speed. Was asked to write code in collabedit. Had another 5 rounds of interviews on-site and all of them were technical. Offer was made a day after the on-site interview. The whole process was really fast.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult or unexpected. Just algorithms and if you know the basics right, it wont be an issue.   Answer Question

Software Engineer II

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at eBay Inc..

Interview Details – The hiring process was smooth, we're asked many questions on Java language, how to improve scalability and reliability ....... Not much asked on algorithms....... The entire process was ok and things were fine. The typical questions were - explain OOPS concepts ... Difference between overloading and overriding.... Exceptions and their types....
Why you want to work at ebay.....

Interview Question – What's the use of final keyword in Java and some basis questions on multi threading.   Answer Question

Software Engineer II

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in April 2014.

Interview Details – Contacted initially by a recruiter, then set up two phone interviews. They're all pretty quick and professional. You give your preferences for phone interview dates/times and they schedule appropriately. The interviewers seemed pretty helpful too. So, first they ask you to tell them your approach to solve a problem and then ask you to code. And they do provide helpful hints along the way.

Interview Question – Phone Interview 1:
(1)Find maximum height of BST. This is easy using recursion. Then he asked me to do it iteratively, which I somehow managed to solve.
(2)The Dutch flag problem. This was not tough. But the next question was tough. It was about finding particular keys in a dictionary. They have a custom function that tells you if a key is in the dictionary and you to find out if for given input, you get required output. For example --

The dictionary is like:

{hi,hello,sir,how, are, you}

And you have a function isWord(x) that tells you if a particular word is in that dictinary.

So if the input is hisirhowareyou
the output must be hi sir how are you

I couldn't solve this problem. :(
  View Answer

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in March 2014.

Interview Details – Initially the recruited contacted me and scheduled a 30 minute phone screen. He asked me about my background and resume and noted down everything I said, and told me he would pass on these details to all hiring managers.

After a few days, I was scheduled for two technical phone screens on the same day - one hour each.

I was asked basic algorithm questions in both the interviews.

I solved the algorithm asked in the first interview within 20 minutes. But, he kept asking for other possible solutions. He accepted my initial solution to be the best approach, but still wanted me to identify other approaches. I would have suggested 5 or 6 approaches. He then asked the question #2 when there was just 5 minutes left.

The interviewer in the second call was in a high position, but hardly knew how to talk in an interview. She could not answer me a simple question I asked to her (about development methodologies the team used).

I received a rejection email within 3 days after the interview.

Interview Question – 1. Implement a function that would accept two strings and check if one string is an anagram of the other.
2. Given an array(list) of integers, write a function that would determine if the elements in the array can be divided into two parts each giving the same sum.
3. Email address drop-down application. For example, when we type email address while composing an email, we get a drop down of suggested email address options starting with same letter(s). Write code to do this. (This was basically the implementation of trie data structure).
  Answer Question

Software Engineer II

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc..

Interview Details – Recruiter
Phone call
On site
Offer

Interview Question – Basic html js and css   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didnt negotiate much

San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in January 2011.

Interview Details – phone interview lasted 1 hour and then followed by 8 hr panel interview.

Interview Question – ebay specific production issue around caching.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no

San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at eBay Inc..

Interview Details – Linkedin
Background Phone Screen
Technical Phone Screen
On Site with about 5 interviewer
Call with VP
Call with Senior VP
Offer sent.

Interview Question – Backtracking related : 8 queen.
Stacks, Heap and Tree.
Array question
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offer was good, no negotiation.

San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in September 2012.

Interview Details – Got a interview call after a friend of mine forwarded my resume. The phone interview went well and they wanted to come for onsite interview. It was scheduled with 6 people (multi team interview). Questions involved algorithms (trees, graphs), datastructures (hash maps, lists), problem solving skills. You better be good with all standard algorithms. When you specify some systems you worked on (like mysql, jboss etc), make sure you know how the competing technologies work too. One interview was totally writing code, interviewer explains a problem and I write code on white board. In fact all interviewed are white board, writing code, algos, explaining architectures etc. All the interviews went fine and I got a call Tuesday (interview was on friday) saying they want to go forward with offer.

Interview Question – A architectural question that was totally orthogonal/competing technology that I was working to.   Answer Question

San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in May 2011.

Interview Details – Call from Director. He explained the position. He asked for couple of general quesions about industry and luckily he liked the answers and called for Onsite. Simple questions, from Algorithms, Sorting and Behavioral and puzzles. Got an offer next day.

Interview Question – All were easy   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was new to this so i didn't negotiate much.

San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at eBay Inc. in February 2011.

Interview Details – eBay always starts with a tough or in detail java related telephonic interview. To pass through this interview you just need to know few things like Java interivew questions (like what is static, finally and also some difficult onces like what is generics and stuff), simple database questions (like query using group by), normal web related questions (what is HTTP and explain end to end working of the website request by browser). I think telephonic interview is easy to crack.

When it comes to onsite interview. Everything revolves around data structure according to me. They will expect you to code the programs at all times. give your best shot and groom your programming skills well before going to onsite interview at eBay.

Overall it was friendly and helpful environment during interview at ebay.

Interview Questions

• You are given a predefined function which generates random number from 1 to 5. You need to use this function and create another function which will generate random number from 1 to 7. Now most important thing is to remember that new random function should be even (i.e. the number generated should be unpredictable, and evenly spaced out).   View Answers (4)
  • design a architecture for online pistol/gun selling system. Consider all the scenarios like security, third party interaction etc.   Answer Question
  • display the binary tree in depth first manner   Answer Question
  • regular expression for a valid IP address   Answer Question
  • Basic puzzles like
    i) given two buckets of 4 and 7 liters.. how can you get 5 liters.
    ii) some sorting and searching algo questions
      View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – they dint negotiate at all. either you take it or leave it.. thats it

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at eBay Inc.

Worked for eBay Inc.? Contribute to the Community!

eBay Inc. Videos

eBay Inc. – Why Work for Us?

​​ ​​From humble beginnings to a global company that’s changing the future of commerce, eBay Inc. has always been a place where innovation and collaboration are celebrated. Today, eBay Inc. fosters an entrepreneurial… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at eBay Inc. Software Engineer II interview questions and advice. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by eBay Inc. employees and interview candidates.