eBay Inc.

Getting the Interview

9 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in March 2014.

Interview Details – Initially the recruited contacted me and scheduled a 30 minute phone screen. He asked me about my background and resume and noted down everything I said, and told me he would pass on these details to all hiring managers.

After a few days, I was scheduled for two technical phone screens on the same day - one hour each.

I was asked basic algorithm questions in both the interviews.

I solved the algorithm asked in the first interview within 20 minutes. But, he kept asking for other possible solutions. He accepted my initial solution to be the best approach, but still wanted me to identify other approaches. I would have suggested 5 or 6 approaches. He then asked the question #2 when there was just 5 minutes left.

The interviewer in the second call was in a high position, but hardly knew how to talk in an interview. She could not answer me a simple question I asked to her (about development methodologies the team used).

I received a rejection email within 3 days after the interview.

Interview Question – 1. Implement a function that would accept two strings and check if one string is an anagram of the other.
2. Given an array(list) of integers, write a function that would determine if the elements in the array can be divided into two parts each giving the same sum.
3. Email address drop-down application. For example, when we type email address while composing an email, we get a drop down of suggested email address options starting with same letter(s). Write code to do this. (This was basically the implementation of trie data structure).
  Answer Question

Software Engineer II

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc..

Interview Details – Recruiter
Phone call
On site
Offer

Interview Question – Basic html js and css   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didnt negotiate much

San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in January 2011.

Interview Details – phone interview lasted 1 hour and then followed by 8 hr panel interview.

Interview Question – ebay specific production issue around caching.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at eBay Inc..

Interview Details – Linkedin
Background Phone Screen
Technical Phone Screen
On Site with about 5 interviewer
Call with VP
Call with Senior VP
Offer sent.

Interview Question – Backtracking related : 8 queen.
Stacks, Heap and Tree.
Array question
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offer was good, no negotiation.

San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in September 2012.

Interview Details – Got a interview call after a friend of mine forwarded my resume. The phone interview went well and they wanted to come for onsite interview. It was scheduled with 6 people (multi team interview). Questions involved algorithms (trees, graphs), datastructures (hash maps, lists), problem solving skills. You better be good with all standard algorithms. When you specify some systems you worked on (like mysql, jboss etc), make sure you know how the competing technologies work too. One interview was totally writing code, interviewer explains a problem and I write code on white board. In fact all interviewed are white board, writing code, algos, explaining architectures etc. All the interviews went fine and I got a call Tuesday (interview was on friday) saying they want to go forward with offer.

Interview Question – A architectural question that was totally orthogonal/competing technology that I was working to.   Answer Question

San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in May 2011.

Interview Details – Call from Director. He explained the position. He asked for couple of general quesions about industry and luckily he liked the answers and called for Onsite. Simple questions, from Algorithms, Sorting and Behavioral and puzzles. Got an offer next day.

Interview Question – All were easy   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was new to this so i didn't negotiate much.

San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at eBay Inc. in February 2011.

Interview Details – eBay always starts with a tough or in detail java related telephonic interview. To pass through this interview you just need to know few things like Java interivew questions (like what is static, finally and also some difficult onces like what is generics and stuff), simple database questions (like query using group by), normal web related questions (what is HTTP and explain end to end working of the website request by browser). I think telephonic interview is easy to crack.

When it comes to onsite interview. Everything revolves around data structure according to me. They will expect you to code the programs at all times. give your best shot and groom your programming skills well before going to onsite interview at eBay.

Overall it was friendly and helpful environment during interview at ebay.

Interview Questions

• You are given a predefined function which generates random number from 1 to 5. You need to use this function and create another function which will generate random number from 1 to 7. Now most important thing is to remember that new random function should be even (i.e. the number generated should be unpredictable, and evenly spaced out).   View Answers (4)
  • design a architecture for online pistol/gun selling system. Consider all the scenarios like security, third party interaction etc.   Answer Question
  • display the binary tree in depth first manner   Answer Question
  • regular expression for a valid IP address   Answer Question
  • Basic puzzles like
    i) given two buckets of 4 and 7 liters.. how can you get 5 liters.
    ii) some sorting and searching algo questions
      View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – they dint negotiate at all. either you take it or leave it.. thats it

San Jose, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at eBay Inc. in June 2008.

Interview Details – The technical recruiter of eBay contacted me for this position. I did some research study for eBay in 2007 and they said they found my resume in their internal database.
I was busy preparing for an interview for another company the next day when the recruiter called. He called at 5.00pm and asked me if he can take a quick phone interview. I said yes, and he spoke to me for 20mts. He asked me about my previous job role, skill set and some basic questions from my resume and then started the technical round.

1. Can you tell me the code to create a linked list? (Yes, on phone :)
2. Singleton Pattern.
3. Stack and Queue differences
4.. Generic question on how will I react in team conflicts etc (more of a personality question)
He wanted to ask some SQL questions as well but we ran out of time.

At the end of the interview he said he was I am a strong fit for the position and he would recommend me highly to the hiring manager.

He called me the next day to schedule a phone technical phone interview with one of the Sr.Software Engineers in the team. It lasted for 45mts. The questions were:

Difference between hashtable and hashmap?

What if the main method is declared private?

What is the difference between == and .equals()

Difference between final and finally

What design pattern would you use to design connection pooling?

Why doesn't eBay use EJBs, Hibernate, Spring, Transactions?

Heard of command pattern?

What can you tell me about Garbage Collection?

Explain Singleton Pattern

Design a data model for a departmental store. Once I told him the tables, constraints etc he asked me to tell him the SQL to retrieve the total amount for all the orders a customer placed in various departments.

The next day the technical recruiter called me and said they want to get me in for an in person interview. I had a 2 hour interview scheduled with the following members of the team:

1. Tech lead
2. Front end engineer
3. Business Analyst
4. Sr.Engineer from other team - he was not able to make it so the team's Product Manager came in his place
5. Dev Manager
6. Technical Recruiter - for closing discussion

The tech lead asked me a few Java programming questions. He got some code samples and asked me to tell the output of the code snippet. They were based on HashMap initialization in the constructor, static factory method, main method and another class method.

He asked me to write some queries given two tables. Basically they were trying to see if I can join tables, use groupby and having clause, aggregate functions etc.

The front end guy came with a print out in hand. It had a UI page with name, password, address, comments (text area) and 2 buttons (submit and cancel). He wanted me to write HTML code for the UI of that page. He asked some questions on the HTML tags I was using.

He asked me questions on JavaScript, CSS based on the creation of that form. He asked for client side validations of the data fields (text fields, text area and address fields). Address Field validations were a little tricky as we need to mention the difference between PO BOX and regular address validations.

The Business Analyst asked me questions on my previous projects and how I handled the business requirements. He asked me very specific questions to the projects I did before.

The product manager walked through my full resume, discussed about almost every keyword I mentioned in the doc. Nothing very technical but did discuss a lot about the technologies used etc..

Dev Manager - He was a database guy. He told me about the team, what to expect etc.. Then asked me to come up with an algorithm to find out the price for a keyword of an item based on the values present in the existing tables. He gave me 2 tables and some columns with item details. Keywords to search for those items etc.. The keywords can have multiple words. For example if you have existing high volume keywords in the the table like iPOD with a certain price then how much price should be the phrase "iPOD Touch 8gb". He was looking for some 5 criteria in the algorithm.

The technical recruiter asked me if I had any questions.

Interview Questions

• Why doesn't eBay use EJBs, Hibernate, Spring, Transactions?   View Answer
  • Write an algorithm to find out the price for a keyword of an item based on the values present in the existing tables. He gave me 2 tables and some columns with item details. Keywords to search for those items etc.. The keywords can have multiple words. For example if you have existing high volume keywords in the the table like iPOD with a certain price then how much price should be the phrase "iPOD Touch 8gb" (a potential low volume keyword).   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate the salary a little. They said they had a range for this position and cannot offer more than that. But my requirements were met including the bonus. eBay always takes you one designation lower to your current position or the market standard. And it is very difficult to get promoted as they do a percentile of all the employees of your level across the organization and unless you are an ace inventor kind of guy or you have a very good manager you can talk about you really well you cannot expect to be promoted in the first 2 or 3 yrs of your tenure at eBay. So try to negotiate for the higher position than they are offering if you are confident you can deliver.

San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at eBay Inc. in December 2009.

Interview Details – There were 6 one hour interviews with different people from the team. The questions ranged from light questions on process to in depth technical questions on bit arithmetic. The interviewers obviously knew what they were doing and were very easy to communicate with. My advice would be to relax, it will be a very intense day.

Interview Question – Generate the combinations of K distinct objects chosen from the N elements of a list.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at eBay Inc.

Worked for eBay Inc.? Contribute to the Community!

eBay Inc. Videos

eBay Inc. – Why Work for Us?

​​ ​​From humble beginnings to a global company that’s changing the future of commerce, eBay Inc. has always been a place where innovation and collaboration are celebrated. Today, eBay Inc. fosters an entrepreneurial… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at eBay Inc. Software Engineer II interview questions and advice. All 9 interview reviews posted anonymously by eBay Inc. employees and interview candidates.