eBay Inc. Software Engineer Intern Interview Questions

2.8

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at eBay Inc..

One on-campus, two phone interviews (what I would guess is the usual data structures/algorithms/applications questions), and a final brief conversation with the manager. Hiring manager sent me an overview of the position I was being interviewed for after the one on one on campus interview.

Interview Questions
  • Nothing specific I can say, but lots of questions related to the position as well as questions you would be able to answer after taking a data structures course.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for eBay Inc.

Software Engineering Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc. in March 2014.

2 Phone interviews, asked basic questions on Java, Javascript, CSS, HTML, jquery etc. Nothing too tough.

Interview Questions
    • basic questions on Java, Javascript, CSS, HTML, jquery   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc. in February 2014.

I had gotten an interview through an employee referral. Someone contacted me about a time. There was a miscommunication on their part between the HR and the manager and they didn't call me at the first time we planned, so we had to plan another one. The manager of that team called me and first told me about what they did and then asked me questions about my resume and then asked technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • What's the difference between C++ and Java. I said something about pointers and he wanted me to go more in depth.
      What is the difference between string builder and string buffer.
      He sent me a code and make suggestions:

import java.math.BigDecimal;

public class CashCalculatorBasic {

public BigDecimal getCalculatedAvailableBalance(BigDecimal currentBalance, BigDecimal totalDebits, BigDecimal totalCredits) {

BigDecimal result = currentBalance.subtract(totalDebits).add(totalCredits);

System.out.println("The calculated result is " + result);

return result;

}

public static void main(String[] args) {

new CashCalculatorBasic().getCalculatedAvailableBalance(

new BigDecimal("1250.00"), new BigDecimal("250.00"), new BigDecimal("500.00"));

Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at eBay Inc..

On-campus interview after Career Fair. I am not sure up to now whether it has a second-round interview. In the interview, at most of the time we were talking about my previous project experience. Some simple data structure and algorithm such as bubble sort and HashMap is asked.

Interview Questions
    • It's my first time to interview in English so I was nervous.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at eBay Inc. in February 2014.

I was setup for a screening interview through a recruiter who received my resume via career fair. The preliminary interview was conducted over the phone with an engineer at the company. The engineer admitted to knowing little about the position I was applying for but he gave me a good idea of what is expected of potential employees at eBay Inc. It was a 30-45 minute technical interview discussing questions ranging from development environment to data structures.

Interview Questions
    • How to retrieve a file with a specific string or keyword using UNIX command line   View Answers (3)

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at eBay Inc. in February 2014.

Contacted through on-campus recruiting mailing list. Had one on-campus interview followed by one additional phone interview with the team that I was going to work with, and I was able to get the offer afterwards. The interviewers were really nice and helpful when I was stuck on something, and I didn't feel any pressure during the interview at all.

Interview Questions
    • Method to find all duplicates of letters in a string. A few simple data structure runtime questions. Questions on OO design.   View Answers (2)

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc..

Applied online and received an e-mail from the recruiter to set up the interview appointment. First part (~25min) was behavioral and personal questions asked by the team leader; followed up by technical questions from an engineer. Both were female and amicable. However, contrary to my confidence in the interview and the conversations, they were non-responsive for the next 3 weeks to tell me I wasn't accepted.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between a HashTable and HashMap in Java?   View Answer

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc..

Was contacted via recruiter and scheduled an interview with the Hiring Manager the next day. After the brief talk with the manager, I was scheduled another interview with one of the software engineers. Asked about projects and how I would implement various features. He branched off my projects and skills to ask technical questions about jQuery, JS, HTML, CSS. Also asked about design questions both front-end and back-end.

Interview Questions
    • Networking and how to handle getting live feed from two different remote places.   Answer Question
    As an intern, they give you a competitive package in terms of salary and housing. There may be a chance for slight negotiation, but it depends on how your other offers stack up against theirs.

Anonymous Employee in Ithaca, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Ithaca, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at eBay Inc. in February 2013.

1 hour phone interview. I spent 15-min talk about my projects and answer follow-up questions. Then I was asked some questions about synchronization and data structures. After that there is a technical coding question.

Interview Questions
    • insert a new node into an ascending sorted linked-list.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at eBay Inc. in May 2012.

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter after 10 days. The recruiter told me that there would be two rounds each of 2 hours. The first round was all about Java (eBay is primarily a Java shop). I was asked to write a Enqueue and Dequeue using linked lists. Then they asked me to resolve an issue when dequeue is called first and there is nothing in the queue (they were checking if I can resolve a deadlock issue using threads). There were many other questions on OOP,abstract classes, interfaces, serializability and stuff. I was thru to the next round and was interviewed again on Skype in the following week. Questions were on some puzzles, linkedlists, trees etc.

Interview Questions
    • Write a enqueue and dequeue using linked lists, resolve deadlock on it etc   Answer Question
    • Find the least common ancestor of a node in a tree etc   Answer Question

Got an offer from a competitive company.