eBay Inc.

Getting the Interview

56 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in October 2011.

Interview Details – referred by friend, arranged interview with hiring manager

Interviewed at eBay Inc.

Interview Details – I was set up an interview for on-campus recruiting

Interview Question – Interview questions were that that bad. Fundamental Software concepts and algorithms.   Answer Question

Interviewed at eBay Inc.

Interview Details – Phone screen was a few basic questions. Round 2 was 3 interviewers by Skype.

Interview Question – Nothing extremely hard.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at eBay Inc..

Interview Details – The eBay recruiter reached out to me and set up the interview process. I cleared the telephonic interview and then I was invited for the onsite interview. They asked questions from Java, CSS, HTML, Product Design, Javascript, Algorithms, Puzzles.

I was told that the decision will be made in a week by the hiring manager very clearly. I waited for more than a week and reached out to the recruiter after I did nt hear anything from eBay. The recruiter kept saying that the decision has not been made and that they are still interviewing each time I would send an email. This continued for more than a month. I had similar experience with another eBay recruiter in the past where they do not show any courtesy informing the result of the interview. Sometimes the recruiter does not even respond to your email and phone call.The candidates are mature enough to understand that they have not been selected. A recruiter or HR sends a polite email conveying the message at most of the companies. The recruiting process at eBay is horrible... very unprofessional!

Interview Question – They asked questions from Java, CSS, HTML, Product Design, Javascript, Algorithms, Puzzles.   Answer Question

Ithaca, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at eBay Inc. in October 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through College. Interviewed by Research Director on Campus. Positive experience during the interview. Some behavioral and resume questions. Only one programming question - Reverse a Linked List, Algo for Binary tree Lowest Common Ancestor. But really erratic reject after doing wonderful ( mentioned by the interviewer)

Interview Question – Reverse a Linked List
Algo for Binary tree Lowest Common Ancestor
  Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc..

Interview Details – Applied through school and then got a phone interview. The phone interview was very fast paced loaded with questions. The phone interviewer was nice though. After that, got a Skype interview with 5 people. All of them were great except one. That one was not prepared for the interview at all, he asked a question that was too difficult. So when I couldn't answer, I asked him to answer it himself. The funny thing that he couldn't answer his own question.

Interview Question – Given a BS tree, give the median number in the tree with O(1) space.   View Answers (4)

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc..

Interview Details – hr interview - sr software engineer

Interview Question – need to prepare much comprehensive, even littlest thing   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc..

Interview Details – Process was Kinda Slow. Had a phone interview and nearly a 2-3 weeks gap between the result/

Interview Question – Interview was basic CS concepts   Answer Question

San Jose, CA

The process took 2 months - interviewed at eBay Inc..

Interview Details – I was contacted by an outside recruiter who asked few basic resume questions. She forwarded my resume to a team.
There was technical phone screen with few coding questions like write all permutation of the string.
Later, to my surprise was asked for a Skype interview as I was not a local candidate. I was not at all impressed by the interviewers. First person could not connect to the skype for 15 mins. Eventually due to poor quality of his data network on his "phone" (not from a desktop computer with a wifi)- we had to turn-off the video.
He had asked an array merging question and it took me 20 mins to code and 40 mins to explain him how and why the code would work. It was the simplest of codes and I have written complicated code. It was not that he wanted to know my thought process- but it seemed he did not understand.

Second was a guy with a thick accent and a low talker. Why would you ask such a person to interview if he cannot put his point through. He had asked reversing a linked list and Fibonacci. Pretty straight forward coding.
Third interview was even worse where the interviewer would drum and was humming some music while I was writing the code. What on earth is the problem with this girl? She was so rude- I am not kidding- while I was explaining my thought process of her solution, she interjects saying...'can you just code and not explain things'. So the question was to check if the number is a palindrome and as she did not want me to explain- I wrote the entire code where I converted the int to string and compared it with its reverse. Now she pulls me down as why would I give a solution like that. Anyways, within few mins, I gave her division and modulo way of checking the palindrome of the number. Without responding, she jumps to SQL questions. Wow!
Finally the manager comes- who was better than the previous three and asked to write a code to convert string to int which I coded pretty well within 20 mins. In the last 10 mins he comes up with another question for which I was able to code partially due to time constraint.

Interview Question – Last interviews question for which I got 10 mins was a tricky one.
He wanted me to implement Google's "Did you mean" logic.
  View Answer

Software Engineer

I applied online - interviewed at eBay Inc. in April 2013.

Interview Details – Applied on their website. Then contacted by a recruiter. Discussed my background, skills and interests. Then scheduled a technical phone interview. interview was normal. Some basic java questions and one programing problem. Find the maximum length of consecutive ones in a nxm matrix which has only 0's and 1's.

Interview Question – Find the maximum length of consecutive ones in a nxm matrix which has only 0's and 1's.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at eBay Inc.

Worked for eBay Inc.? Contribute to the Community!

eBay Inc. Videos

eBay Inc. – Why Work for Us?

​​ ​​From humble beginnings to a global company that’s changing the future of commerce, eBay Inc. has always been a place where innovation and collaboration are celebrated. Today, eBay Inc. fosters an entrepreneurial… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at eBay Inc. Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 56 interview reviews posted anonymously by eBay Inc. employees and interview candidates.