eBay Inc.

eBay Inc. Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 11, 2015
Updated Feb 11, 2015

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at eBay Inc..

First round on campus interview, one technical question. The interviewer asked me to design two functions that implement auto prediction feature when user input a few letters in search box.

Interview Questions
  • Really focus on what data structure you use and the time/space complexity.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for eBay Inc.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at eBay Inc. in January 2015.

Got an email with a coding doc that I had to match the output with within a certain amount of time. Completed 2/3 of them but didn't finish the last question which was adding 2 fractions. No phone interview about how I am, just a coding challenge I guess to filter the applicants further after seeing their resume.

Interview Questions
    • To remove every multiple i, j, k ..... elements from a list.
      To add 2 fractions and reduce it to the simplest form
      Another question I couldnt remember but it was easy

View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at eBay Inc. in January 2015.

Applied online and contacted by a recruiter. Just passed the first round phone interview with team manager, and received second interview invitation one week later. The second round is scheduled next week.

Interview Questions
    • A few questions about resume, coding question: find the lowest common ancestor of two nodes in a binary tree   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc. in January 2015.

Connected with recruiter. Was supposed to have a 30 minute phone interview, but ended up in a 45 minute interview with a senior engineer who started rapidly firing off questions in an online doc sharing website. Heard back 3 weeks later saying I got it. Rate was initially low, but I was able to negotiate it to a number I was happy with.

Interview Questions
    • Convert a string to an integer, and some jQuery commands. Not bad.   Answer Question
    Was given a low-end rate, but was able to negotiate 30% raise since I had some leverage.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc..

It was very ad-hoc due to some informal timing. It started with a career fair at my university. I had a screening interview, and then applied online. A few weeks later I was contacted to come on campus for interviews. I met with a couple of teams in platforms and services, and had some excellent conversations with the managers.

Interview Questions

Still evaluating, but I have a better one waiting.

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc. in October 2014.

Got the request after a career fair at my university

First there were a few questions about my resume and qualifications and projects that I did. This part was pretty straight forward.

After that they asked me a programming question. The task was to write a function that, given a particular filename ending, returns a list of all files with this extension with a language of choice.

Interview Questions
    • There was no really unexpected question, but I didn't know the exact syntax how to open files in any language and thought they would ask more general data structure/programming questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc. in September 2014.

referred by my friend and firstly talked with recruiter about my skills and projects in school. two days later had two screen technical interviews (1 hour for each) with software engineers. some days later, arranged to have a Skype Loop Interview with engineers and manager.
    phone interviews were good, interviewers were pretty nice, patient and friendly. however, two interviews in loop interviews were really really arrogant.
    no matter what I said (during the coding, I was trying to express my idea about the question), he just said nothing and no response at all. and for the last 5 or 10 minutes, we talked about culture and position at eBay and also got some uncomfortable answers.
    3 days later, got a rejection email although I believed that I solved all the technical problems correctly. I have no idea why.

Interview Questions
    • nothing unexpected, basic concepts about RESTful web service, data structure (hashtable and collision), algorithm and some coding challenges (tree, searching, array...)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

one day interview, 6 interviews including the manager. Almost everybody asked technical questions, but not very hard, they focused on fundamental stuff. It's ok if you failed to answer some questions

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc. in April 2014.

After the prescreen interview with hr to check my background to see if match,I got an phone interview which has 3 rounds and with different engineer.The question is about data structure and algorithm,not too many programming language specifics.The problems are like this

1. Fibonacci numbers
    1 1 2 3 5 8 13 ...

2. two sum, do not need to deal with duplicate pairs

Interview Questions
    • 1. Fibonacci numbers
      1 1 2 3 5 8 13 ...

2. two sum, do not need to deal with duplicate pairs

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at eBay Inc. in March 2014.

Had 2 interview rounds, was asked questions/programs in Java (Collections, Multithreading, OO concepts) , Data-Structures (Stack and Queue), Design Patterns (Singleton), SQL, C++. More questions about my previous work experience, school projects.
    Both were telephonic rounds.

Interview Questions
    • If I mark an arraylist as final, can i add more elements to it?   View Answer