eBay Inc. Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Oct 1, 2014
Updated Oct 1, 2014

64 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc..

Process was Kinda Slow. Had a phone interview and nearly a 2-3 weeks gap between the result/

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for eBay Inc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

The process took 2 months - interviewed at eBay Inc..

I was contacted by an outside recruiter who asked few basic resume questions. She forwarded my resume to a team.
    There was technical phone screen with few coding questions like write all permutation of the string.
    Later, to my surprise was asked for a Skype interview as I was not a local candidate. I was not at all impressed by the interviewers. First person could not connect to the skype for 15 mins. Eventually due to poor quality of his data network on his "phone" (not from a desktop computer with a wifi)- we had to turn-off the video.
    He had asked an array merging question and it took me 20 mins to code and 40 mins to explain him how and why the code would work. It was the simplest of codes and I have written complicated code. It was not that he wanted to know my thought process- but it seemed he did not understand.

Second was a guy with a thick accent and a low talker. Why would you ask such a person to interview if he cannot put his point through. He had asked reversing a linked list and Fibonacci. Pretty straight forward coding.
    Third interview was even worse where the interviewer would drum and was humming some music while I was writing the code. What on earth is the problem with this girl? She was so rude- I am not kidding- while I was explaining my thought process of her solution, she interjects saying...'can you just code and not explain things'. So the question was to check if the number is a palindrome and as she did not want me to explain- I wrote the entire code where I converted the int to string and compared it with its reverse. Now she pulls me down as why would I give a solution like that. Anyways, within few mins, I gave her division and modulo way of checking the palindrome of the number. Without responding, she jumps to SQL questions. Wow!
    Finally the manager comes- who was better than the previous three and asked to write a code to convert string to int which I coded pretty well within 20 mins. In the last 10 mins he comes up with another question for which I was able to code partially due to time constraint.

Interview Questions
    • Last interviews question for which I got 10 mins was a tricky one.
      He wanted me to implement Google's "Did you mean" logic.
        View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Had a 2 - 60 min phone interviews. Was asked questions on Java and Databases more aligned to my role as Intern there. Interviewers were very receptive and guided me during the process.
    Received a confirmation on same day as second interview and accepted it on the same day

Interview Questions
    • How would we make Singleton thread protected except interviewer did not want to include Synchronized block in there.   Answer Question
    Non-negotiable

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at eBay Inc..

Phone Interview

Interview Questions
    • Fibonacci Series using recursion and iteration. Ask to reduce number of recursive calls.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in May 2013.

1) Applied through company website
    2) Phone interview by HR for background-check and to setup a date for technical phone interview.
    3) Two 1hr back to back interviews

Interview Questions
    • Both interview consisted of (as expected) full of technical questions testing your basics and coding abilities.   Answer Question

phone interview

Interview Questions
    • what data structure to use in case of a load balancer   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at eBay Inc. in April 2013.

Applied on their website. Then contacted by a recruiter. Discussed my background, skills and interests. Then scheduled a technical phone interview. interview was normal. Some basic java questions and one programing problem. Find the maximum length of consecutive ones in a nxm matrix which has only 0's and 1's.

Interview Questions
    • Find the maximum length of consecutive ones in a nxm matrix which has only 0's and 1's.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc..

Started with a phone call about basic java question and projects on resume followed by skype interview with 4 ppl. Didn't hear from them so i am assuming they didn't hire me..It whould have been better on their part to atleast provide a reject mail.

Interview Questions
    • Some probability question
      1) given a rand5() function which provide a random number between 1-5 at equal probability. Write a rand7() fuction to provide a random number between 1-7 with equal probability...
        View Answers (4)

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at eBay Inc..

Got a technical phone interview, was asked how to find middle node of a linked list and then follow up questions on that

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at eBay Inc. in March 2013.

A on-campus interview. I was told some basic information about the group: a QA group mainly using Java. Asked a easy binary search question and asked me to write a sorting method. I wrote the quick sort. I was told the result will come out the next week. However, after 4 weeks, I received nothing. I sent an email to the recruiting person, she did not respond me.