eBay Inc.

Average Difficulty
59 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Jose, CA

The process took 2 months - interviewed at eBay Inc..

Interview Details – I was contacted by an outside recruiter who asked few basic resume questions. She forwarded my resume to a team.
There was technical phone screen with few coding questions like write all permutation of the string.
Later, to my surprise was asked for a Skype interview as I was not a local candidate. I was not at all impressed by the interviewers. First person could not connect to the skype for 15 mins. Eventually due to poor quality of his data network on his "phone" (not from a desktop computer with a wifi)- we had to turn-off the video.
He had asked an array merging question and it took me 20 mins to code and 40 mins to explain him how and why the code would work. It was the simplest of codes and I have written complicated code. It was not that he wanted to know my thought process- but it seemed he did not understand.

Second was a guy with a thick accent and a low talker. Why would you ask such a person to interview if he cannot put his point through. He had asked reversing a linked list and Fibonacci. Pretty straight forward coding.
Third interview was even worse where the interviewer would drum and was humming some music while I was writing the code. What on earth is the problem with this girl? She was so rude- I am not kidding- while I was explaining my thought process of her solution, she interjects saying...'can you just code and not explain things'. So the question was to check if the number is a palindrome and as she did not want me to explain- I wrote the entire code where I converted the int to string and compared it with its reverse. Now she pulls me down as why would I give a solution like that. Anyways, within few mins, I gave her division and modulo way of checking the palindrome of the number. Without responding, she jumps to SQL questions. Wow!
Finally the manager comes- who was better than the previous three and asked to write a code to convert string to int which I coded pretty well within 20 mins. In the last 10 mins he comes up with another question for which I was able to code partially due to time constraint.

Interview Question – Last interviews question for which I got 10 mins was a tricky one.
He wanted me to implement Google's "Did you mean" logic.
  View Answer

Software Engineer

I applied online - interviewed at eBay Inc. in April 2013.

Interview Details – Applied on their website. Then contacted by a recruiter. Discussed my background, skills and interests. Then scheduled a technical phone interview. interview was normal. Some basic java questions and one programing problem. Find the maximum length of consecutive ones in a nxm matrix which has only 0's and 1's.

Interview Question – Find the maximum length of consecutive ones in a nxm matrix which has only 0's and 1's.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in May 2013.

Interview Details – 1) Applied through company website
2) Phone interview by HR for background-check and to setup a date for technical phone interview.
3) Two 1hr back to back interviews

Interview Question – Both interview consisted of (as expected) full of technical questions testing your basics and coding abilities.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interviewed at eBay Inc.

Interview Details – Had a 2 - 60 min phone interviews. Was asked questions on Java and Databases more aligned to my role as Intern there. Interviewers were very receptive and guided me during the process.
Received a confirmation on same day as second interview and accepted it on the same day

Interview Question – How would we make Singleton thread protected except interviewer did not want to include Synchronized block in there.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable

Software Engineer

I applied online and interviewed at eBay Inc..

Interview Details – Phone Interview

Interview Question – Fibonacci Series using recursion and iteration. Ask to reduce number of recursive calls.   View Answer

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university - interviewed at eBay Inc. in March 2013.

Interview Details – A on-campus interview. I was told some basic information about the group: a QA group mainly using Java. Asked a easy binary search question and asked me to write a sorting method. I wrote the quick sort. I was told the result will come out the next week. However, after 4 weeks, I received nothing. I sent an email to the recruiting person, she did not respond me.

Interviewed at eBay Inc.

Interview Details – phone interview

Interview Question – what data structure to use in case of a load balancer   View Answer

San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in March 2013.

Interview Details – Refered by a friend, first two phone interviews, then onsite in CA. Overall the experience was great, hiring manager is nice, interviewers are all nice too.

Had a very bad time with the recruiter at the end. I had to bargain with him very hard to get a small salary increase(he worked for a small comapny for a long time and was really thinking cheap), and he directly refused to match my other offer without even talking to hiring manager. I was 100% sure that the hiring manager would try to match since I know I gave him a good impression, and he knows my excellent friend who refered me. But the recruiter screwed up everything and I had to accept another offer due to deadline. After I signed the other offer, the recuriter called and wanted to give me a higher number...

Interview Question – The interview questions are not hard.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The recruiter screwed up everything at the end. I had to sign another offer due to the deadline.

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc..

Interview Details – Started with a phone call about basic java question and projects on resume followed by skype interview with 4 ppl. Didn't hear from them so i am assuming they didn't hire me..It whould have been better on their part to atleast provide a reject mail.

Interview Question – Some probability question
1) given a rand5() function which provide a random number between 1-5 at equal probability. Write a rand7() fuction to provide a random number between 1-7 with equal probability...
  View Answers (4)

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at eBay Inc..

Interview Details – Got a technical phone interview, was asked how to find middle node of a linked list and then follow up questions on that

Interview Question – key pair analysis   Answer Question