eBay Interview Questions

Updated Jul 28, 2015

3.1

Editorial Interview

Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at eBay (Campbell, CA) in November 2007.

Interview

The process went from a substantial writing/editing test to a phone interview to meeting four people. The in-person meeting was dismal. The interviewers did not come across as prepared. They did not have many questions for me, said little about the position, came across as disinterested. Maybe they took one look at me and didn't like me (I am clean-cut, was dressed professionally, clothes freshly pressed, appearance neat and tidy, no after-shave, etc.), but it would rate as one of my worst interviewing experiences, if not the worst.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at eBay (San Jose, CA) in May 2010.

Interview

Most difficult and unrewarding interview that I have ever had. I spent an entire day at the office (7 interviews that lasted 45 minutes each). eBay is a company of VERY smart people who don't particularly like their jobs. No one was enthusiastic about their roles and it seemed as if everyone was unsure of the direction of the company. I thought I nailed the interviews - good background for the position, top school, etc... The bottom line, I don't think I was a fit with the team. Despite the fact that the role was client facing, everyone seemed pretty geeky. Anyways, it worked out because two weeks later I got a offer from Google. I would stay away.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through an SQL query, several case problems, presentation   Answer Question

QE Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at eBay (San Jose, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

OK

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between HTTP & HTTPS? How to achieve or use HTTPS?   Answer Question
    • What are the two type of exceptions   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at eBay in February 2011.

Interview

A recruiter from eBay contacted me to set up the interview. She took awhile to get back to me and I had to contact her a few times to ask. She finally set up a phone interview that took 30 minutes. It's quite technical in nature. I wonder who memorizes this stuff off the top of their head. I haven't done anything to do with a bit operator since college and do not remember it.

Interview Questions

• Describe pass by reference. You have a program with a method changeMe() that takes a string. In the main method, a string is set to "Hello" and it is passed to changeMe(). The changeMe() method sets the string to "I'm changed". In the main method, after call to changeMe(), there is a print statement for the string. What is printed?   2 Answers
    • If you have an array of characters, write a method to reverse the string.   2 Answers
    • What way can you tell if an integer is odd or even?   2 Answers
    • What is the difference between HTTP POST and GET? Which can be bookmarked?   1 Answer

Manager Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at eBay (Bangalore (India)) in March 2012.

Interview

- Telephonic interview - 1:1 - Rude interviewer - Did not even introduce himself properly - Overall felt that he was a nuisance and did not really like working at ebay - Type of questions asked during the interview sort of suggested that the interview was totally unstructured

Interview Questions

• - Asked very random questions e.g., how do you estimate the safe distance from shore given that there could be a tsunami? No data, no historical references, but provide an answer using math   Answer Question
    • General questions around Estimates and Modeling. But interviewer was not that confident.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at eBay in December 2010.

Interview

Was interviewed by 5 folks and then the HR interviewed

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiation was tough, they did not accept most demands

Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at eBay (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

two phone interviews, in person interview for 5 hours with multiple people. I would say, the in person interview was not scheduled properly, one of the interviewers didn show up at all and kept me waiting for one whole hour untill the person appeared and mentioned the they were not aware of the interview being scheduled.Also this is a quality position , though i was prepared for the basic programming questions few kept asking questions on data structures and algorithms....Honestly if that is the expectation , then i would expect the position to be for a developer.

Analytics - MBA Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at eBay (San Jose, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

Had 3 rounds of interview. First round was a general resume walk through followed by a "on the fly" mini case . Later was given a take home case analysis. Once I had submitted the case analysis, I interviewed with some one else who gave a puzzle/brain teaser and asked me write SQL for calculating the click through rate.

Interview Questions

• Mini Case: eBay is getting complaints from customers that the site doesn't have enough product selection. To increase product selection eBay runs a promotion and decides to waiver the listing fees for all sellers. eBay's earns revenue from the listing fees and as a % of sales transaction and the bulk of revenue comes as a commission over sales transactions. The promotion instead of increasing the revenue results in a drop in revenue for eBay. Explain   3 Answers

Customer Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at eBay (San Jose, CA) in December 2009.

Interview

Initial contact is HR, then hiring manager, cross-functional team members, 2nd round is to meet the VP and COO

Negotiation

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at eBay.

Interview

Phone interview with HR, longer phone interview with hiring manager, on-site interview with hiring manager and team members, brief skills test, long tour. I was introduced to the team and had the opportunity to ask as many questions as I wanted to.